Personally I have learned to keep plants separate from different places. Until you know there is no disease or illness.

I had an issue with orchids about 15years ago. Lost my whole personal collection. Hundreds of plants.

Difference is. Weed is easy to regrow, orchids total loss.

Morale is keep things safely quarantined.

I had an issue with orchids about 15years ago. Lost my whole personal collection. Hundreds of plants.

Difference is. Weed is easy to regrow, orchids total loss.
That is depressing! I normally do a pyrethrin dip and short quarantine on all new plants before they go into the greenhouse or tent. I used to grow a lot of orchids too, really fun plants and I was able to get some pretty tough ones to flower. I had to give it up after I retired, my entire office was filled with orchids, but after I retired and moved, I just didn't have a good space in the house to grow. Still have a few cymbidiums, but that's about it. Growing orchids is where I learned about overwatering, it kills more orchids than anything else (pot plants too!!!)

That is depressing! I normally do a pyrethrin dip and short quarantine on all new plants before they go into the greenhouse or tent. I used to grow a lot of orchids too, really fun plants and I was able to get some pretty tough ones to flower. I had to give it up after I retired, my entire office was filled with orchids, but after I retired and moved, I just didn't have a good space in the house to grow. Still have a few cymbidiums, but that's about it. Growing orchids is where I learned about overwatering, it kills more orchids than anything else (pot plants too!!!)
Agreed. Sad. Ugh.

I was able to get clippings from a friend, I now have about 10 good girls. Smart about the dip, never thought about pretreat.

You could always sure hang them. I have a friend in tiny home, all his suspended from ceiling.

Smart about the dip, never thought about pretreat.
You just need to keep them out of direct sunlight for a couple days after you dip, pyrethrin can burn leaves (actually I think its the oil carrier that causes the burn). Several years ago I accidentally introduced "The Borg" (spider mites) into my greenhouse with some store bought clones, after that dipping was mandatory, I also spray the area with pyrethrin twice, about 3 days apart, before each grow to start with a clean grow space!

Total newbie, like i said. In retrospect I would have done a little more home work and been more scientific in my approach. I started with a few seeds and purchased 3 more plants from a local nursery that just started selling recreational. I have 5 plants and 4 different strains going on here for a little more complexity. Thanks for all the tips.. Hopefully I can keep these ones alive and thriving with a better plan for next season.

I suspect I'm guilty of over watering.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, so glad I found this forum and the helpful members.
I think that's some of the fun of this hobby. You can start wherever you are and gain the needed skills along the way. This thing is a weed so anyone can grow it, but not everyone can grow it well. You'll gain knowledge and experience along the way that will make each round that much better. And, there is so much you can learn if you really want to dive deep. Or just keep a low key grow to supply you with your own buds.

Have fun on the journey. I can't tell you how much I've learned in the year and a half I've been a member here. If only I had found this site earlier....

First time grower, giving it a shot for fun. Growing feminized seeds in pots outside. Trying to troubleshoot some problems, looking for pointers.
Hello my friend @Newbie207 Hope you are well my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine :welcome:

Stay safe:cool:
Bill

You just need to keep them out of direct sunlight for a couple days after you dip, pyrethrin can burn leaves (actually I think its the oil carrier that causes the burn). Several years ago I accidentally introduced "The Borg" (spider mites) into my greenhouse with some store bought clones, after that dipping was mandatory, I also spray the area with pyrethrin twice, about 3 days apart, before each grow to start with a clean grow space!
Omg. The mites. Horrible. Shame on the store for that. I could never forgive .myself if I sold tainted product.

Mandatory dipping, and spray down of areas is simply genius.

This is will be added to my regimen.

Thank you for the insight.

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Newbie207

Have you been growing long?
Do you enjoy playing in the dirt?

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Total newbie, like i said. In retrospect I would have done a little more home work and been more scientific in my approach. I started with a few seeds and purchased 3 more plants from a local nursery that just started selling recreational. I have 5 plants and 4 different strains going on here for a little more complexity. Thanks for all the tips.. Hopefully I can keep these ones alive and thriving with a better plan for next season.

I suspect I'm guilty of over watering.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, so glad I found this forum and the helpful members.
Yeah, but how could you have known? Sometimes it's better to just jump in an see what lessons you can learn along the way. And the growers on this forum can help you dramatically shorten your learning curve.

Lots of good references on this site as well so ask away and you'll be surprised at the help and knowledge you'll get back.

Cheers! :cool:

Cal-mag is an "extra"....should be compatible with any nutrient line.

But yes add to water per instructions...wait 15 minutes and if your using any other liquid nutrients you can then add them to the water before watering.

And awesome you won't be disappointed with geoflora. Start with a lighter dose than recommended first top dress and then go full "dose" from that point on. It says up to 14 days worth of nutrients per top dress....some plants will show hunger in fewer than 14 days so I feed them early sometimes...just a heads up.
Ok, still need some help. 5 plants, mix of femanized strains. I have been using cal-mag and geoflora per their directions for the past 3 weeks. The plants have grown, but having problems, some worse than others. Here are the pics. Is this a low ph issue locking our the nutrients? I tested soil ph with a cheap kit and it looks like its 6 or lower, but not 100% sure. Ive been following the watering guidelines. What do i need?????

20220802_182258.jpg

20220802_182253.jpg

20220802_181700.jpg

20220802_181654.jpg

20220802_181644.jpg

20220802_181621.jpg

20220802_181615.jpg

20220802_181553.jpg

20220802_181546.jpg

20220802_181523.jpg

How big are the containers? Can't get a perspective on how big they are. Also, were the leaves damaged before you started the calmag and new nutes? A few things come to mind, 1 is they may be rootbound (but I kinda doubt it). The second is that the leaves were already damaged before you started the calmag regime, and sometimes they will die off even after the issue is fixed. The last being those are just older fan leaves that have outlived their usefulness. As long as it doesn't continue you should be ok. BTW, in re-reading the post (and maybe I missed it) I don't see where you're PHing your water (NOT THE SOIL, or the RUNOFF).

How big are the containers? Can't get a perspective on how big they are. Also, were the leaves damaged before you started the calmag and new nutes? A few things come to mind, 1 is they may be rootbound (but I kinda doubt it). The second is that the leaves were already damaged before you started the calmag regime, and sometimes they will die off even after the issue is fixed. The last being those are just older fan leaves that have outlived their usefulness. As long as it doesn't continue you should be ok. BTW, in re-reading the post (and maybe I missed it) I don't see where you're PHing your water (NOT THE SOIL, or the RUNOFF).
Pots are 7.5 gallon, biggest plant is about 6ft from the ground, smallest is 4.5ft. I did ph the soil.... my well water ph is arounf 7.3 and what i use for watering. Some of the leaves for sure where already damaged, just looks like more on the other plants now further up. The 6ft plant has lost a lot of the lower fan leaves, looks a bit naked.

Perhaps the damage was already done? I need to get an accurate pH.

Besides a PH meter, you might also want to invest a few bucks in a TDS (PPM/EC meter) well water can be all over the map on total dissolved solids (TDS). Our old community well had steady readings in the 1400-2400 PPM of TDS, and occasionally as high as 4200 PPM's. I had to use a grocery store water vending machine for my plants. Luckily the new well is only about 400 PPM's, which is still high, but much more acceptable,

Back
Top Bottom