Newbies First Grow

BennyHill

Hi all. I'm a new member who has just planted 1st seed. Want advice as I go through this journey.
Planted feminised White Widow seed in 8L Osmocote Professional seed raising and cutting mix. Have 6 x 24w CFL's about 6 inches above going 24 / 7 to start, 4 cool daylight and 2 warm white.
Waiting for gemination and 1st seedling.

Re: Newbies 1st grow

Benny - move them a little closer than 6 when "she" emerges - just hold the back of your hand up to the CFL's at different distances - if its too warm for your hand then you are too close for your babies - perhaps 2 to 3 i would try - they will show you if they are happy or not - just the 1 seedling ?
Maybe change those warm whites for some cools ,
Get a journal going if you want - any probs will get sorted quick here :thumb:

Thanks Bigbuds and Stiritup,
Day 2 and no sign of her yet. I've got a small cabinet in the shed 40cm x 40cm x 1.5m and planted 1 seed in pot I'll use for duration. I'll post some pictures when she emerges. I plan to change to 4 white 2 cool for flowering. I read that the white spectrum is still useful while in veg and vica versa. Maybe I should go for 5:1 instead? I'll definitely move her a little closer to the light.
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted
:thanks:

I germinate my seeds in a glass of water before planting. That way I can see what's happening and save a lot of time. They generally germinate within 24 hours and within 72 hours you have seedlings growing.. You should use just the cool white bulb only for veg. Basically the plants like a lot of blue spectrum for veg around 6500k incandescence and they prefer the red spectrum when flowering 2700k incandescence warm white.. You could use duel spectrums but I think its just best to change spectrums if you have the means and swap to all 2700k at flower time. Also keep the light within a few inches a soon as she emerges.

I prefer using moist (not soaked) paper towel between 2 paper plates to germinate but whatever works for you is best :;):
Benny you will most definitely want to LST (Low Strees Train) your "lady" in a tiny space like that to make the most of it - a search will give you heaps of info on how to do it . I just use 2 x 45 watt CFL's for seedlings - 6700 K / 18/6, Never thought about mixing cfl spectrums - only one way to find out
Is the inside of your space white or reflective - will help.
Careful with that water - make sure she is almost dry before rewatering - put you finger in the side of whatever you are using about an inch - you will get to know the feeling if it is wet or dry. Would start them off in a paper drink cup (just how i do it but try it next time) easier to keep an eye on and you will really feel from weight when they are near time for watering.
Do you have some kind of small fan for air circulation and strengthening stems ? Don't point directly at them when they are very young though
Are you in a warm area ?

Hi guys, day 4 and still no sign of the little girl. I'll try germinating another in paper towel if she doesn't pop her head up soon. My grow box is converted from a small cabinet which is all white inside so it should reflect the light well. I've also got a small CPU fan on the side which I'll fire up a bit later on. I'm in Perth so it's not too cold yet and the cabinet is nice and warm. Low stress training will definitely be the go to maximize colas. This is all first time for me so your assistance is greatly appreciated :thumb:

Will be following your progress mate - shouldn't be too much longer for her to show . A spray bottle will be enough for a week or 2 to keep her moist but Not soaked with @5.8 ph plain water. White widow sounds cool - havn't tried any of those fancy ones yet.
If you havn't got them already it would be ideal to have - a Hygrometer/Temp gauge, a PH tester and possibly a nutrient tester - depending on your budget,
LST will be a must as the plant will gain 2 to 3 times its height in the flowering stage depending on the strain of course.Use some plastic coated staking wire for LST - something like string will cut into the stems . What kind of fertilizer are you going to use ? :nomo:

We have life! I've moved her closer to the light. Don't think I'll start fertilizing for a week or so? Will use high N fertilizer in small doses to start.

Yeah paper towel can work well but I prefer the glass of water as the tap root grows fine hair like roots that like to attach themselves to the paper towel. Both better than germinating in the soil though.

Mixing spectrums is ok. I have a 230w duel spectrum CFL that works great for raising seedlings and cuttings. I have used duel spectrum HPS for the whole grow with no problem. I think is more of a convenience thing. Changing spectrum is a better option

The light spectrum helps give the plant information about what's happening in their world. Cannabis responds to the blue light as a cue to grow and produce big leaves that catch the sun. Blue spectrum promotes vegetative growth, short node spacing and bushy plants. The red spectrum promotes stretch between the nodes, smaller leaves and bigger flowers. Plants use the Red spectrum at flower time to get maximum stretch so they have a better chance of catching some male pollen floating by in the wind. Also, plants will transition into flower much faster with red spectrum then they can with blue.

We have life! I've moved her closer to the light. Don't think I'll start fertilizing for a week or so? Will use high N fertilizer in small doses to start.

Good job mate.

No she will be fine without any ferts for a while. You can give small doses but she has all she needs in her water leaves (cotyledons) for the first week or two.

Head over to ozstoners.com there is lots of aussies there to make you feel at home.

Here's my set up
Grow cabinet ~35cm x 35cm x 1.2m + 40 x 40 x 40cm below. Pot in this photo is sitting on false floor and I had planned to lower her into basement when she grows, but now I'm thinking I'll keep her there and LST.
20160416_160315.jpg

Grow Medium
20160416_162552.jpg

Lights set up below shelf 4 x cool and 2 x warm
20160416_160258.jpg

Potted and planted
20160416_160707.jpg

1st life
20160420_104321.jpg

Looking forward to a few months looking after my baby:circle-of-love:

well yeah. looks good man. Your going to have to keep her short because those lights don't penetrate very far. I would really recommend doing a baby Scrog in there. Its dead easy and you will have far more control and every bud will get the same light giving you the best yield possible in that small space. All you need is some string to make a screen for that.

Seedling day 2. I've drilled some holes on the outside of the pot for LST. I'm going to grow the little baby in a spiral, but I'll give her a couple of weeks before I start tying her down.
20160421_183203.jpg

Day 4 and she's looking good. 2nd pair of leaves appearing. I've just given her a light spray with water once each day and will give her a good drink tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom