Non grow LED's

Canachris

Do regular household everyday LED bulbs have what it takes to grow plants? I saw a video on YouTube an they were using regular household 100 watt 15 watt equivalent they had 4 of em and it seems to be working. Would I be better off using my CFL'S or this homemade LED light on my seedlings ?

20230301_113829.jpg

a couple folk here have built stuff the same as that. they always disappear or buy a real light eventually. i'm sure you can get something out of it the same as cfl, but it's not optimal.

Yeah the real lights are over my current grow. I just wanted something to put over my seedling. I know the CFL's work it's just harder to configure it in the small grow box

20230308_053150.jpg

a couple folk here have built stuff the same as that. they always disappear or buy a real light eventually. i'm sure you can get something out of it the same as cfl, but it's not optimal.
There was a time when using the curly-Q CFL bulbs was popular for smaller grows. If I remember right the light spectrum was more complete in those household CFL bulbs and therefore better for plants than the typical LED household bulb that showed up several years later. Those household LED bulbs were limited in the colors they put out and plants did not grow well at all.

Even pulling off the cover as @013 mentions did not make up for what was missing.

It looks like a fire 🔥 hazard to me but I’ve been known to be wrong. I wouldn’t leave the house with it on and buy a good smoke detector. CL🍀

wow yeah not cool on that many adapters, I know cfl is low heat but that’s hella risky,

I believe one screw in led with lens cover knocked off puts out more rays
They want members to test a new @ViparSpectra light. That’s free but you’ll have to document your grow but it’s better than what you have now. CL🍀

Get an LED work light. They come in cobs or small panels. My old veg had 5 mothers under two 70w fixtures. I also kept plants alive with 10w ones too. More efficient and less of a hazard to deal with. Cfls work excellent, but do dim out after a short time.

Those household LED bulbs were limited in the colors they put out and plants did not grow well at all.

they are actually a lot better now. you can buy some brands by kelvin now, and there are some plant friendly bulbs.

Even pulling off the cover as @013 mentions did not make up for what was missing.

it helps somewhat.

wow yeah not cool on that many adapters, I know cfl is low heat but that’s hella risky,

yeah the led bulb board would be safer although it may not look like it.

and my homemade light is safe. The wiring is from a 9 outlet external outlet strip. It has ceramic sockets and the ili bulbs only draw 15 watts the aluminum deck barely gets warm. I get it, it looks very sketchy but I made this b4 my brain malfunction and I feel fairly safe using it. But thanks for the concern.

20230301_113829.jpg

Back
Top Bottom