Noreastfog, 12 Pot Ebb & Grow, First Ever Grow

So I checked out the Plant Abuse Chart contained on here, and I think it may be related to my Res temp and flood and drain schedule. I drained 5 gal from res and added 5 gal of cold (balanced and nute) water. I switched from 7, 30 min floods to 6 floods alternating between 15 and 30 min.
I am probably going to have to get a humidifier and an air stone.
Will it create a problem changing the flood duration?

you dont need to change the cycle..thats not a problem..If the PH is good and PPm is good I then I would say its stress. they will have some stress going from soil to hydro.

Thanks Pit. I had told myself I wasn't going to be like a stressed out new parent, over reacting to every new development. So much for that. PH (I calibrated and double checked) and PPM are good! I am going to add a humidifier and air stone to my "grow"

How they lookin today?

(pulls up chair for your journal)

SF

:welcome: SF. thanks for stopping by. They look really good. I'm trying to figure out the "white balance" exposure settings on my little point and shoot camera. I want to have better quality shots to upload this time. I have to give reps to Pitviper for keeping me calm and on track this first week. I may have shots tonite we'll see how it goes.

For what it's worth...

I use a little Canon Powershot.

I'd have to say the biggest help is having a Tripod, or something that can stabilize the camera. Then every shot is in focus no matter what.

Second, when I want to take pictures, I actually turn off the grow light and use the ambient room light, even the florescent light will be better than your grow light. And the camera flash does the work. Some guys do it before the lights come on, or even after lights go off.

It'll be very difficult to change the color temperature of your shots (white balance), without (still) looking a little off.

Here's the results.
StinkFinger Gallery - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

I'm also brand new with the ebb-n-grow, thanks to Pit, it's been a lot easier.

We're here with you man. BucketHeads to the end. :)

SF

For what it's worth...

I use a little Canon Powershot.

I'd have to say the biggest help is having a Tripod, or something that can stabilize the camera. Then every shot is in focus no matter what.

Second, when I want to take pictures, I actually turn off the grow light and use the ambient room light, even the florescent light will be better than your grow light. And the camera flash does the work. Some guys do it before the lights come on, or even after lights go off.

It'll be very difficult to change the color temperature of your shots (white balance), without (still) looking a little off.

Here's the results.
StinkFinger Gallery - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

I'm also brand new with the ebb-n-grow, thanks to Pit, it's been a lot easier.

We're here with you man. BucketHeads to the end. :)

SF

yeah that HPS lite wash is awful for taking pics...I have to shut mine down to take them and I dont do that often
Im almost ready with our new BucketHead emoticon..... then we can have a real club

Yeah I will have to get set up to take pics without the HPS on. My trouble is I did a great job of isolating the room and light and I don't have any real ambient light. Those are the last pics with the big light though. I did have the macro focus working once too. It's my daughters camera and I'm not as familiar with the function. I have to be extremely careful about taking pics and deleting immediately. I can't use my own camera, I have no way to load transfer since my son took my new computer off to college, as it is I'm using a thumb drive between a laptop and a PC.
Here are couple of pics
rsz_dscn7068.jpg

This is probably the best looking of the bunch
rsz_dscn7066.jpg

rsz_dscn7068.jpg

good work sir. . . you have a nice system there.

colder water is better but not necessary for an ebb n gro. . . colder temps increase dissolved oxygen in the water and helps prevent some bad things from developing in your res. . . but if your setup is clean, and it looks to be so, you should be fine at higher temps like pit said. the roots get lots of fresh air every feeding because the water displaces a bunch of air when the buckets fill, and then get fresh air when they empty. so dissolved oxygen is less important.

the ebb n gro is one of the easiest and best systems out there man, you got a good one to start with. I'll be watching from the back.

good luck.

good work sir. . . you have a nice system there.

colder water is better but not necessary for an ebb n gro. . . colder temps increase dissolved oxygen in the water and helps prevent some bad things from developing in your res. . . but if your setup is clean, and it looks to be so, you should be fine at higher temps like pit said. the roots get lots of fresh air every feeding because the water displaces a bunch of air when the buckets fill, and then get fresh air when they empty. so dissolved oxygen is less important.

the ebb n gro is one of the easiest and best systems out there man, you got a good one to start with. I'll be watching from the back.

good luck.

Thanks Wheelo. I'm still sorting through what is "poor, okay, good, better and best", with a hydro grow (and deciding what I can do based on priority and budget). I spent a bunch of time reading/researching, mainly on this forum, before deciding to go with Ebb and Grow. I'm happy with the decision. I was feeling quite confident before I actually started growing knowing the excellent, kind grow support I would receive on here. But! I met a local (to me) Med grower who grows in soil who tried and failed in Hydro. He kind of freaked me out. He said "it can change in an hour, and you can loose everything". Okay... paranoia off the charts.
It's sinking in, the biggest mistake is often overreaction.
Thanks everone for keeping it on the rails:rocker:

I got the ebb and gro 12 site as well.... I joined 420mag just to beable to follow pitvipers instructions. Is the is specific forum with quick tips and tricks when your using the ebb and gro?

meant to say is there a forum which has tips and tricks when using the ebb and gro?

At this point there is no dedicated sub-forum dedicated to the ebb-n-grow system. We've been waiting on PitViper to get that "club" started. (laughing hard now). He's working on a BucketHead emoticons as we speak. Won't be long.

Sounds like you're new here. Welcome to 420.

SF

At this point there is no dedicated sub-forum dedicated to the ebb-n-grow system. We've been waiting on PitViper to get that "club" started. (laughing hard now). He's working on a BucketHead emoticons as we speak. Won't be long.

Sounds like you're new here. Welcome to 420.

SF

:welcome: from me as well

It seems "bucket heads" are growing (pardon the pun... no seriously pardon the pun). My last visit to my Hydro store, they were sold out of E&G and said they would be back ordered for a while.
It's not the system I had first planned to set-up, but when you see the success (on grow journals here) that people have it's hard not to join in. The advantages of plug and play can't be beat

I'm still not sure which is more fun growing it or burning it:grinjoint:

:welcome: from me as well

It seems "bucket heads" are growing (pardon the pun... no seriously pardon the pun). My last visit to my Hydro store, they were sold out of E&G and said they would be back ordered for a while.
It's not the system I had first planned to set-up, but when you see the success (on grow journals here) that people have it's hard not to join in. The advantages of plug and play can't be beat

I'm still not sure which is more fun growing it or burning it:grinjoint:

I would agree with you entirely. I'm not against anyone that wants to do a DIY project, but personally I don't have the patience, and I really didn't want to re-invent the wheel. Once you see the potential success of the system and what growers here are doing, it's a slam dunk.

And on a lighter note, may I suggest you don't burn your stash, it's probably best to smoke. (ha..ha). It is totally fun to watch them grow up in front of your eyes, almost a surreal feeling.

Thanks fo sharing! (I feel like I'm in a support group)
SF

In all honesty I wont dignify seperate clubs here...I think it segregates and dilutes everything. I joke about being a buckethead but I wont make things worse creating a club...enuf damage has been done with that type of nonsense. Do you think I can grow better if I have a stupid lil emoticon and create nonsensical titles like president and Vicepresident and grand Pooba? not likely..Id rather spend my valuable time actually helping people whether they have soil,hydro, and advanced techniques. Im knocking DWC at all, Ive done it and done it well..and then I moved onto bigger and better things. I strive to be a master grower rather than just being able to comment and support tupperware. Ive helped several people here with various growing techiques and they in turn teach others....thats what its all about. Being in a seperate club is NOT whats its about. Im already in a club that Im proud of. The 420Magazine club.

Back
Top Bottom