Not sure what's happening

GrowW33D

420 Member
This is the second group of plants this is happening to. They start off growing well for the first month or so and then they start to slowly die off, pale yellowing leaves, purple stems, leaves kinda sag, growth stops, tips turn yellow, brown crispy spots. I feel as if they are dying and every attempt I make to help them is making it worse.

Strain - Royal Gorilla
# of Plants - 3
Grow Type - Soil? Pro-Mix HP
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 5 Gallon
Lights - (2) 400 Watt HPS
Nutrients - I was using Pure Blend Pro Grow by Botanicare until I started to notice too many symptons to diagnose.
Medium - Mixed together a bale of Pro-Mix (4 cubic ft block) with lots of perlite and about 4 pounds of Earthworm Castinge
PPM - ? Not sure, its well water
PH - ? Not sure, its well water
RH - 25%
Room Temperature -68 to 72
Solution Temperature - water? Room temp
Light hangs above - 3' x 3'
Pests - None Known

The room is well circulated with fans. Bugs arent much of a problem nor have they ever been.

I havent changed anything. Ive had good grows AND havests with this same soil, nutrients, lighting, fans, heat. Yet I have no idea what im doing when it comes to fixing all these problems.

20190113_160333.jpg
20190113_160321.jpg

20190113_160342.jpg

20190113_160445.jpg
20190113_160511.jpg
20190113_160355.jpg
20190113_160355.jpg
20190113_160457.jpg

tou need to kniw your ph at very least mate. ppm is also good to know . whats in your well water. is it 0 ppm ir does it have lots of stuff in it. this info is vital to know how to at least feed them. you could be gorging them or starving them
1st step ph !!

Could not having salt in the water softener affect pH? Ive never had problems with the water before, but Ill work on getting a Digital PH Tester asap.

I bet your well water tests well over 7.0 pH and this is locking out Iron... and that in turn locks out just about everything else. Your plant is dying from starvation. As said above, get a digital pH tester quickly, and adjust your pH to 6.3 every time you apply a fluid to the soil... whether it be plain water or water mixed with nutes.
feel safer now you have joined in Emilya. :Namaste:

Found a pH test kit with the red drops, and tested the water and its reading out at 7.2 - 7.5. What would you recommend I use to adjust the pH?

Ordered the pH tester kit, recieved it. While I was waiting, the plants continued to show numerous deficiencies and came to a slow/halted growth :rolleyes: Tested my water and it tested around 7.0 or 7.5. Possibly 8.0? I am using the pH drops until I cough up the cash for a professional digital meter. I added an acid buffer I recieved from a hydroponics store and lowered the pH to 6.3-6.5. The plant pots were pretty light and dry, I watered with the correctly pH'd water, about 2/3 liter each. How many days until these girls start to look happy and green again? The next time they dry out I was assumming to flush the soil to help drive the ph of the rest of the soil to the correct reading. :hmmmm:

Give them 3 wet/dry cycles to get right again.
You are misunderstanding the pH. Keep always adjusting your water in to 6.3 and know that when you water, the soil and that huge column of water that you just put in there, is at 6.3 pH. It can be no different than that, because the water vastly outweighs the soil that is suspended along with it. Your goal is not to "adjust" the pH of the soil with flushing or adding anything extra... and you cant do it even if you try. If you water at 6.3 every time, the soil will do what it does, without any intervention from you. Stop listening to these so called experts out here in the online world who think they are experts at soil pH and talk about runoff and the need to flush the soil to somehow fix something it isn't broken.

20190207_182331.jpg

So much wasted time. They just look horrible, Id rather trash them than nurse them back to healthy. Ive been adjusting the ph of the water to 6.3 each time. Started to reintroduce nutrients back into them 3 days ago, made sure to adjust the ph to 6.3 AFTER adding the nutes to the water. But yea....heres an update

Almost looks like they have been stressed enough to switch into flower. Lighting is on 16hr light, 8hr dark. The growing area also looks a mess in the photo, that is all now cleaned up.

why 16/8?? are you trying to blaze new ground? Switch to the well tested 18/6 and they will stay in veg. Also, I don't know why you have been starving them, but that is exactly what they look like... give them good full strength nutes at the proper pH and they will green right up. There is no need to throw in the towel at this point and there is no way you have given them 3 wet/dry cycles already. Nothing happens instantly in the plant world. Figure out your issues on these plants and then your next grows will go better. If you don't solve these basic things, there is no reason to expect a better result next time. In my humble opinion, whomever is advising you to quit and start over, needs a kick in the backside.

You've got plenty of time to get them right - they actually look good,except they're a bit pale-follow @Emilya's
advice,and in a couple weeks,you'll be saying to yourself "wtf was I thinking?"
She knows her stuff...

Back
Top Bottom