Novice Grower, White Rhino when to Harvest?

Skankhunter

420 Member
20230401_125946.jpg
20230401_130019.jpg
20230401_130337.jpg
Hi everyone long time smoker, novice grower.

soil 12/12 light I'm at 8 weeks,I've seen to leave it till 9 weeks any thoughts or opinions on where I'm currently at please.Been flushing with straight water for about 1 week.
Been unsure of what I should judge the cut off date on pistol colour,trichome colour or yellow leaves?
Also I have I decided to flush to early or continue with nutrients?
Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!
20230401_130718.jpg

20230401_130437.jpg

I believe the general consensus nowadays is flushing is unnecessary, and robbing your plant of nutes when they need them the most. I personally feed until the very end.

As for when to chop, I would invest in a jewelers loop, 30x or something like that and look for cloudy and amber triochromes. Depending on how ripe they are will give you different highs. I'd let that go a few more weeks if it was me. More experienced growers here can give you a better idea, depending on the high you are looking for.

I believe the general consensus nowadays is flushing is unnecessary, and robbing your plant of nutes when they need them the most. I personally feed until the very end.

As for when to chop, I would invest in a jewelers loop, 30x or something like that and look for cloudy and amber triochromes. Depending on how ripe they are will give you different highs. I'd let that go a few more weeks if it was me. More experienced growers here can give you a better idea, depending on the high you are looking for.
Thanks appreciate it!

Welcome to the 420 party @Skankhunter that's a beautiful garden you have there. All of what you have mentioned are good guides to judge harvest, obviously in this case your leaves are yellowing as you are a week in flush but some plants will naturally show autumn colours. A jewelers loop would be best so you can harvest for a preferred high. I can see alot of orange pistols so your plants are definitely mature and one more week of flush Id say ull have some nice bud 👍🏽

Welcome to the 420 party @Skankhunter that's a beautiful garden you have there. All of what you have mentioned are good guides to judge harvest, obviously in this case your leaves are yellowing as you are a week in flush but some plants will naturally show autumn colours. A jewelers loop would be best so you can harvest for a preferred high. I can see alot of orange pistols so your plants are definitely mature and one more week of flush Id say ull have some nice bud 👍🏽
Thank you so much

I'm at 8 weeks,I've seen to leave it till 9 weeks any thoughts or opinions on where I'm currently at please. ....................................
Been unsure of what I should judge the cut off date on pistol colour,trichome colour or yellow leaves?
There are those who wait until they can see mostly cloudy looking trichomes and there are those who wait until the see a certain amount of the cloudy trichomes turn an amber color. If going for the amber trichomes it can take an extra week or two.

Which ever color of trichome they go for they often wait until just about all the stigma/pistils have turned a reddish brown and shrunken up.

Been flushing with straight water for about 1 week.
Also I have I decided to flush to early or continue with nutrients?
As @supraboosta brings up "flushing" is pretty much unnecessary in a soil grow. The flushing is to get rid of an excess salt buildup from using the various chemical style fertilizers. Nothing wrong with those fertilizers but they do leave a residue (salts) behind which has to be flushed out of the growing medium.

Plus, it should not take a week; a flush will take an hour or a bit more but not much more. Then it is over and done with.

Flushing involves pouring 3 times the amount of water as there is soil in the container. So if growing in a 3 gallon pot of soil the amount of water will be 9 gallons. Plan ahead so as to avoid extra work carrying around all the water that has run through the soil unless absolutely necessary. Maybe set up the container of soil in a laundry tub or over a toilet bowl. But, in soil it is usually unnecessary to have to do this.

Anyway, back to harvesting. When to do it is up to you. Some growers would be planning on harvesting any day now since it looks like a good amount of trichomes are turning cloudy. Some will wait another 3 weeks, maybe more, looking for that 20% amber.

There are those who wait until they can see mostly cloudy looking trichomes and there are those who wait until the see a certain amount of the cloudy trichomes turn an amber color. If going for the amber trichomes it can take an extra week or two.

Which ever color of trichome they go for they often wait until just about all the stigma/pistils have turned a reddish brown and shrunken up.

As @supraboosta brings up "flushing" is pretty much unnecessary in a soil grow. The flushing is to get rid of an excess salt buildup from using the various chemical style fertilizers. Nothing wrong with those fertilizers but they do leave a residue (salts) behind which has to be flushed out of the growing medium.

Plus, it should not take a week; a flush will take an hour or a bit more but not much more. Then it is over and done with.

Flushing involves pouring 3 times the amount of water as there is soil in the container. So if growing in a 3 gallon pot of soil the amount of water will be 9 gallons. Plan ahead so as to avoid extra work carrying around all the water that has run through the soil unless absolutely necessary. Maybe set up the container of soil in a laundry tub or over a toilet bowl. But, in soil it is usually unnecessary to have to do this.

Anyway, back to harvesting. When to do it is up to you. Some growers would be planning on harvesting any day now since it looks like a good amount of trichomes are turning cloudy. Some will wait another 3 weeks, maybe more, looking for that 20% amber.
Thanks great advice

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Skankhunter

Beautiful garden you have there, it won't be much longer now.
All of the advice you received so far is solid advice.

What type of growing interest you?
Do you grow just indoors?

Here's some helpful info.

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Welcome 🙏🏻

Those buds are looking very welcoming. Very very well grown by the looks of it. Top marks from me

Be safe ✌🏻 👌🏻

Welcome to the party @Skankhunter!

That's a sweet looking plant. Great job!

You've gotten solid advice on when to harvest that beauty. In the end, it's up to you! :Rasta:

This bothers me, (not you, but the definition of flush in the growing hobby)

There are two VERY different techniques used by growers. Definition 1 Flushing to remove salts. Definition 2 Flushing at end of flower. They are completely different things that many use the same words for.

Definition 1. For many growers using salt based nutrients, salts may accumalate and cause problems. Basically, if you have 5 gallons of soil you run around 10 gallons of water through the soil to remove salt build up. There is a little variety to the amount of water used, but the idea is to remove excess salt. Usually, this is done once or twice during an entire grow. Flushing in this way is used to "reset" the soil and to correct problems as needed. You dont have to flush, but its a useful tool when you run into problems.

Definition 2: Watering with plain water in the final weeks of flower. Yes ! People call this flushing too, but its completely different than the flushing listed above. This simply means feeding plain water and no nutrients for a week or two end of flower, very different than flushing large volkumes of water through soil to remove salts.

This hobby has some work to do with its terminology. It can be very confusing...

Definition 2: Watering with plain water in the final weeks of flower. Yes ! People call this flushing too, but its completely different than the flushing listed above. This simply means feeding plain water and no nutrients for a week or two, very different than flushing large volkumes of water through soil to remove salts.
An old thread, but I think this is what the OP was referring to when he said flushing.

I agree with you though, the terminology could use some work.

An old thread, but I think this is what the OP was referring to when he said flushing.

I agree with you though, the terminology could use some work.

Yeah, I have a tendency to post on old threads, I really need to get my act together. I may repost or start a thread on this topic. For seasoned growers, the missmatched definitions dont matter that much. But for new growers, it can really throw them off. How do I know? I'm a newb with only a few grows under my belt.

Flower time is another sore subject for me.... But I wont go there now.

Yeah, I have a tendency to post on old threads, I really need to get my act together. I may repost or start a thread on this topic. For seasoned growers, the missmatched definitions dont matter that much. But for new growers, it can really throw them off. How do I know? I'm a newb with only a few grows under my belt.

Flower time is another sore subject for me.... But I wont go there now.
We've all been there, but I learn more every day on this site. Truly a gold mine of canna info.

There are two VERY different techniques used by growers. Definition 1 Flushing to remove salts. Definition 2 Flushing at end of flower. They are completely different things that many use the same words for.
I understand what you are bringing up. It is a part of languages; the semantics or how a language uses the same word for something different depending on what other words are used along with that one word that can cause the confusion.

In the Flushing #1 it is "flushing out the salts from the soil" and in Flushing #2 it is "flushing the nutrients from the plant".

Flushing excess nutrients from the soil does seem to be impossible. Plants are not built to do that.

I only flush when I feel the plant needs to reset ec or an over feeding problem. Washing fabric pots to flush salts is mandatory if we re-use the pots. You can't flush a plant that is true.

Back
Top Bottom