Open Pollination Project

Stunger NZ sounds like a nice place and is besutiful but that weather is insane huh? Was that December 25th?
No, literally 2 big punishing storms in the last 3 weeks.

On your pics of the seeds on the table, what are those little round balls (plastic) that are amongst them, or is that just a trick of the light?

And on making concentrates, yeah I can do without blowing the house up!

Thats terrible man sorry to hear and the girls are safe though? How about the chickens? Nothing like all the fresh eggs.. I just pickled some hard boiled eggs. Theres a way you can preserve your eggs too not sure if hmyou have heard of using pickling lime to preserve your eggs for 1 to 2 years.. I am looking to get on my own land soon and do smchickens. Maybe at my parents house I might take up a good portion of their yard to do some vegetables and stuff they wont let me have the Jane there but everything else is cool.
The silica beads I add to the seeds for storing them to absorb moisture.
But right not the house maybe the shed if it's on the insurance policy lol 😂

Thats terrible man sorry to hear and the girls are safe though? How about the chickens? Nothing like all the fresh eggs.. I just pickled some hard boiled eggs. Theres a way you can preserve your eggs too not sure if hmyou have heard of using pickling lime to preserve your eggs for 1 to 2 years.
The chickens managed fine even tho the wind was up to 130kph and the rain was pouring down.

I just recently saw a recipe for pickling eggs with beetroot and a few things, I will try that when we get excess eggs, as when they moult is when they usually stop laying for a bit. But we currently have 5 hens, 3 are commercial variety and are laying an egg a day, the other 2 are 'heritage' hens and haven't yet started laying. But once we have some excess I will trying the pickling.
The silica beads I add to the seeds for storing them to absorb moisture.
Ahh ok that makes sense.

I did the beets and added to the recipe I found online... I added to my taste a few bay leaf, some oregano and thyme or maybe rosemary.. ugh i forgot should have wrote it down bc its pretty good, the recipe just called for pinch of salt pinch of black pepper corns so I did that and called for a cup of sugar which is way too much for me so I used organic apple cider vinegar just tastes better I feel and used some red pepper flakes too but used more than 6 cloves of garlic it also called for.
With 1/4 cup sugar it tastes perfect and is still sweet, it's really firm once pickled but good.. different but good.
They get hard boiled first then peeled.. and I'm gonna try using a little vinegar and salt in the hard boil to make peeling the shell easier from now on..
But you can preserve fresh eggs in a pickling lime plain as is out fresh out the chicken and they're supposed to last up to 1 to 2 yrs preserved like that so when you get a bunch and don't know what to do you can preserve some, hard boil and do a few different kinds of pickled and I even find that if left alone a natural egg amazingly doesn't need refrigeration like most people would think.. because it has a natural bloom of bacteria protecting the egg people wash it off and they dont last as long. Have had eggs for months on the counter before this way. As long as you don't wash them! You have probably found this out already getting into keeping egg layers.
As long as you don't have a rooster fertilizing them too lol you won't need to worry about any surprises.
Can always feed them raw egg too if one gets cracked while your out there surprisingly is good for them.. I have fed my friends chickens everything in the yard the grapes from the wild vines growing around to sprouts from the lawn it self underneath things that covered stuff from sunlight you get those pale scraggly bunches of shoots from danelions or clover or grass.. the chickens loved that stuff.
But they fed them everything they would normally throw out which is kind of gross and questionable but they love human food! Eat everything you give them and they layedd tons of eggs it felt like out of nowhere too they just kept popping them out maybe at a similar rate it was nice having free organic eggs on hand.. just give them more than what you think you can and they should start laying a lot of eggs or at least thats what it seemed like the more random and wide the diet was the more eggs they seemed to have layed I feel like just all the extra nutrients...
Thats how fish breeders get their fish ready to lay more eggs or bear more live fish they widen the diets and up the protein/ nutrient contents and it makes a big help...
But that nure sure makes a good food just hot and needs time to be stable for plants or what do you find works if that's something you do?
My friend didn't bother because he had turkey too and they used the wood shaving so that was also in the litter and I feel to use it would all need to be composted for a season or 2 in a big pile and use each year's new pile the following year and so on. It just seems like a lot of waste to toss the waste when I pay for it in fertilizer blends.
The turkey is one nasty poopy hehe very foul smelling.. but composted should work wonders in soils. Just amazing how cheap you can feed animals if you know how to get food right from your land but that takes somecareful plotting and planning the right amount to keep for the off season and or just growing food for the off season when the prices might change on the feeds themselves if that happens. But things like alfalfa would be good to grow, even rice but soy for the nuts, corn is easy to grow too.. grains even and have a nice blend keep consistently happy animals its like old ways we have forgotten that more people should be getting into but it's easy when you have a business and money isn't much of an object to just get regular feed but even that has effects on meat and eggs.
See, I want to get I to chickens and bee's first that I feel would be 2 of the best things for me to start keeping because I love chicken, eggs and honey I would use ho ey everyday if it wasn't so pricey and the sad thing, it's not im just so damn broke 😂

I did the beets and added to the recipe I found online... I added to my taste a few bay leaf, some oregano and thyme or maybe rosemary.. ugh i forgot should have wrote it down bc its pretty good, the recipe just called for pinch of salt pinch of black pepper corns so I did that and called for a cup of sugar which is way too much for me so I used organic apple cider vinegar just tastes better I feel and used some red pepper flakes too but used more than 6 cloves of garlic it also called for.
With 1/4 cup sugar it tastes perfect and is still sweet, it's really firm once pickled but good.. different but good.
They get hard boiled first then peeled.. and I'm gonna try using a little vinegar and salt in the hard boil to make peeling the shell easier from now on..
But you can preserve fresh eggs in a pickling lime plain as is out fresh out the chicken and they're supposed to last up to 1 to 2 yrs preserved like that so when you get a bunch and don't know what to do you can preserve some, hard boil and do a few different kinds of pickled and I even find that if left alone a natural egg amazingly doesn't need refrigeration like most people would think.. because it has a natural bloom of bacteria protecting the egg people wash it off and they dont last as long. Have had eggs for months on the counter before this way. As long as you don't wash them! You have probably found this out already getting into keeping egg layers.
As long as you don't have a rooster fertilizing them too lol you won't need to worry about any surprises.
Can always feed them raw egg too if one gets cracked while your out there surprisingly is good for them.. I have fed my friends chickens everything in the yard the grapes from the wild vines growing around to sprouts from the lawn it self underneath things that covered stuff from sunlight you get those pale scraggly bunches of shoots from danelions or clover or grass.. the chickens loved that stuff.
But they fed them everything they would normally throw out which is kind of gross and questionable but they love human food! Eat everything you give them and they layedd tons of eggs it felt like out of nowhere too they just kept popping them out maybe at a similar rate it was nice having free organic eggs on hand.. just give them more than what you think you can and they should start laying a lot of eggs or at least thats what it seemed like the more random and wide the diet was the more eggs they seemed to have layed I feel like just all the extra nutrients...
Thats how fish breeders get their fish ready to lay more eggs or bear more live fish they widen the diets and up the protein/ nutrient contents and it makes a big help...
But that nure sure makes a good food just hot and needs time to be stable for plants or what do you find works if that's something you do?
My friend didn't bother because he had turkey too and they used the wood shaving so that was also in the litter and I feel to use it would all need to be composted for a season or 2 in a big pile and use each year's new pile the following year and so on. It just seems like a lot of waste to toss the waste when I pay for it in fertilizer blends.
The turkey is one nasty poopy hehe very foul smelling.. but composted should work wonders in soils. Just amazing how cheap you can feed animals if you know how to get food right from your land but that takes somecareful plotting and planning the right amount to keep for the off season and or just growing food for the off season when the prices might change on the feeds themselves if that happens. But things like alfalfa would be good to grow, even rice but soy for the nuts, corn is easy to grow too.. grains even and have a nice blend keep consistently happy animals its like old ways we have forgotten that more people should be getting into but it's easy when you have a business and money isn't much of an object to just get regular feed but even that has effects on meat and eggs.
See, I want to get I to chickens and bee's first that I feel would be 2 of the best things for me to start keeping because I love chicken, eggs and honey I would use ho ey everyday if it wasn't so pricey and the sad thing, it's not im just so damn broke 😂
Yes from what I understand feeding chickens with more protein helps bump up the egg production. Three of mine are laying an egg a day, but the other two haven't yet started laying yet altho they're not far away. I also give them sprouted grains and a couple of times a week fermented grains too.

A friend keeps bees, he's really into it. My father used to be a home beekeeper too. I love the smell of honey and where it gets extracted, but I am cautious about too much sugars and so for that reason I feel more inclined not to keep bees, as we use it every day but very modestly.

Yes from what I understand feeding chickens with more protein helps bump up the egg production. Three of mine are laying an egg a day, but the other two haven't yet started laying yet altho they're not far away. I also give them sprouted grains and a couple of times a week fermented grains too.

A friend keeps bees, he's really into it. My father used to be a home beekeeper too. I love the smell of honey and where it gets extracted, but I am cautious about too much sugars and so for that reason I feel more inclined not to keep bees, as we use it every day but very modestly.
Ah so the protein does have a difference in the egg output. That doesn't surprise me, put in what you get out basically. That's interesting, so fermented grain that's smart giving them probiotics to the diet and then live pre/probiotics from the sprouted grains and other different nutrients un-sprouted grains don't have yet. Hey thats still decent eggs for you and the family, so theones who haven't layed eggs are younger im guessing or same age just take longer to get into laying eggs?... I feel like 1 a day is normal

The while living off the land thing gets taken to that next level when you get I to bee keeping. Thats like 1 of those things like if I have absolutely nothing to do for myself I will think about it.
As much as I use honey.. it is a lot of sugar but it's nstural which is what makes it good. It's definitely a staple, and it's all different which is what makes it not such a boring thing, how it varies by the region.. but for making cloning gel for plants and liquid cultures to grow mushrooms.. I feel I would have no problem using it and finding a way to sell it with infusions especially it is like gold, such a necessity when it boils down to it.
I have always been tempted to try the honey comb in raw honey.. I see in the store I can buy it but it's 2-3 × the price of regular plain honey. Which is interesting to hear you used on a bad burn you mentioned, and it helped it heal sooner than it would had it been left alone. It's no surprise nature finds his or her way.

so theones who haven't layed eggs are younger im guessing or same age just take longer to get into laying eggs?... I feel like 1 a day is normal
All the world's commercial egg producers use hens that have been especially bred on genetic lines to produce 1 egg every day of the year, but they reach a point after 1-1.5 years where their production dramatically tails off. That is when the commercial farmers get rid of their stock and get new birds in. We have 3 of that egg a day variety. But our other 2 hens are known as 'heritage' hens (a Light Sussex and a Blue Orpingham), they can a take a month or so longer before they start laying eggs, but when they do they can lay for several years but not 1 every day, perhaps 4-5 a week.
As much as I use honey.. it is a lot of sugar but it's nstural which is what makes it good.
Honey is known to have some very good properties to it. I imagine it is like cannabis in that many things are yet to be discovered about it. But regardless of it being natural, our bodies still have to deal with the sugar so too much wouldn't be good. But that shouldn't happen with sensible usage.
Which is interesting to hear you used on a bad burn you mentioned, and it helped it heal sooner than it would had it been left alone. It's no surprise nature finds his or her way.
I only used 'ordinary' honey on my burn. I remember when I was working in the UK and there was an African nurse who was using white sugar on patient's leg ulcers and they were having great success with it. So I guessed it was the sugar content that was ensuring no bacteria could infect it while it healed. That's what I guessed the honey was doing for my burn, altho Manuka honey has its own extra properties too.

Ah that's something I didn't really know to be honest, in thst case I would rather go with more heritage hens but like you begin with daily layers for the fsct that they will bring the party sooner.
Fascinating what the world has to offer.. something simple as regular white sugar poultice for ulcers thats something you don't see here in the states. All the miraculous uses of these things like the different types of honey. Even regular honey it has some magic to it for sure if white sugar can treat ulcers lol
Maybe when I get some extra spending money I will give it a try for when I get a bit of a tickle.
I agree, there's a lot to still really discover about why and what contents there are thst make honey so special even the sugar maybe just sugar itself is good in a moderation of course but I know honey has like polyphenol or different phytonutrients perhaps or different complexities to them depending the year or type of bee too.
Thst honey they collect you trip off is only 40$ a gallon if that's true I will take a case sir! I will trip everyday on the hallucinogenic honey for cheaper than regular honey costs 😂
Crazy to watch how they do it too, the tribesmen smoke the bee's out on a cliff side and suspend themselves down on their homemade jungle ropes and get the hive bring it up and everyone trips balls on the honey. I would sell it at 4,000.00 a gallon at that phenomenon.. everyone come get your little jars 50$ an ounce lol the little sample jam jars.
400% increase in price lol people would still pay it you kiddin haha if someone offered me... I would for sure lol 😂
Am still gonna give making my own clone gel a go with the cinnamon, aloe, And honey mixture and will report bsck on the results soon maybe for the new blog.. I seen a slight trend happening people starting seeds in thick cuts of aloe.. I thought huh? 🧐 interesting.
I like how simple a fish tank or a plastic cake container works vs $$ on a machine that gets cruddy anyways lol then sits on a shelf or goes to the landfill.. that's not the answer to keep putting more in but people are seeing all the waste we throw away how much of it makes its way into the oceans.. so part of that new journal to save some money I have some simple things like that. Very simple clone/ seed starter like I mentioned a while back Im gonna make it a little better than before with the same bins, the ides to keep re-using them and spending about the same vs getting the standard starting flimsy plastics, which are still kind of involved to hold the plugs upright.. more durable set ups from bins if money isn't that big of a deal. Not thst I have a problem with the standard trays they are great they even have tall domes now which are sick but if you need tall domes your staying in the trsy too long your babies are never gonna learn to swim to the bottom in the deepend.
The particular bins I work with are available in taller options too for people who like to clone branches or stay in the machine a little while longer than expecting.
For the same cost relatively, I know for people everywhere they might not be available but if it helps spark some creativity in another person's world that's what it's about spreading good ideas!

Thst honey they collect you trip off is only 40$ a gallon if that's true I will take a case sir! I will trip everyday on the hallucinogenic honey for cheaper than regular honey costs 😂
I have heard about that, yes that would be really interesting to test!

So the one runtz auto I had in the tray super cropped itself because it was in there so long surprisingly 3 months or more maybe.. so we have been growing and growing and growing up to the light have a couple tops that toasted a bit I will FIM when I lower the table gonna set it as low as possible on there have a feeling these girls are gonna get a lot bigger and will need to remove a lot of little sucker shoots.. the one coming out of the super crop is like I think I can I know I can and it will look at the big runtz fast from humbolt that's exactly what happened there. Wondering how heavy she will get we shall see! That will take some tying down gonna spend a good deal of time on all of them to make sure they have the space they need now to finsih. Lots of tucking and bending for now. I might as well get to it.

20230223_054335.jpg

20230223_054259.jpg

20230223_054224.jpg

20230223_054202.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom