Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

Thanks Doc! And I was wondering about pH'ing the RO as well...you read my mind!

Wow, 5 gallons ea time? I'm trusting you on that one sir :Namaste:
That will burn through the Cal-Mag pretty quick (100ml per watering) eh? Any lower cost alternative you'd recommend?

I appreciate your help.

You're in 5 gallon buckets, right? If so, 5 gallons of water is sort of a mini flush. You probably water like once a week, right?

As for a cheaper way of getting calcium and magnesium to your plants, you could add Gypsum to your soil and then put some epsom salt in the feed water....but you have to be very, very careful you don't over do it. I don't know how much of each you should add right off the top of my head.....sorry.

Also, you can always use tap water. There are minerals in that and you could probably get away with using little to no CalMag.....but you'd have to try it and see what happens.

On second thought, you have hydroton on the bottom (please don't do that anymore) so you only really have 4 gallon pots....so maybe water with 4 gallons each time. 5 won't hurt, but 4 will probably work.

The hydroton does NOT improve drainage. What does is a wick.
IMG_13324.JPG

IMG_13315.JPG

You're in 5 gallon buckets, right? If so, 5 gallons of water is sort of a mini flush. You probably water like once a week, right?

Yes, 5 gal buckets watering every three and a half days.

As for a cheaper way of getting calcium and magnesium to your plants, you could add Gypsum to your soil and then put some epsom salt in the feed water....but you have to be very, very careful you don't over do it. I don't know how much of each you should add right off the top of my head.....sorry.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look up the rest.

Also, you can always use tap water. There are minerals in that and you could probably get away with using little to no CalMag.....but you'd have to try it and see what happens.

My tap water is full of chloramines. Even after letting it sit, it causes a lot of problems and destroys every thing it touches... I battle to keep my lawns green each year. Since I stopped using it, the girls have bounced back fast.

On second thought, you have hydroton on the bottom (please don't do that anymore) so you only really have 4 gallon pots....so maybe water with 4 gallons each time. 5 won't hurt, but 4 will probably work.

The hydroton does NOT improve drainage. What does is a wick.
IMG_13324.JPG

IMG_13315.JPG

I like that wick idea! Is that a cotton fiber rope or something else?

I just put enough hydroton to raise the soil level to the lowest part on the net cups. These pots add a bunch of air to the soil near the bottom and drain awesome. And as I learned recently, you can just lift up the pot and see how wet the soil is. They are kinda neat.

4fd74c90.jpg

Thanks for answering all those questions. :high-five:

:thanks:

Hi all!

I had started a grow with Fox Farm nutes, but after reading through this thread...and Doc's journals, I decided to take the plunge, and switch over to Osmocote Plus.

For the most part things have been great. I did have a magnesium deficiency, but after reading back through all the info, it seems my problem was that I had added way less OC+ than I should have. After a foliar feeding with epsom salt and a top dressing of the proper OC+ charge everything seems to be back on track.

As I was looking back through the thread though, I noticed some mention of the professional use OC+ that comes in the 50 lb. bags and is available in different formulas (3-4 mo, 4-6 mo, Hi-Start, etc...), but I don't think there was much discussion on the differences between the two.

There seems to be quite a few small differences, but the biggest one is the lack of calcium in the professional use stuff. I had been thinking of buying it in the 50 lb. bag since it would be much cheaper (I'll be using it in my vegetable garden as well), and I'm wondering what your opinions are on the differences.

I also thought that it was interesting that there are product sheets for the professional use stuff with very detailed application rates for both surface application and incorporation, but very little application info on the jugs...

The formula I was looking at was the standard release, 3-4 mo, 15-9-12 Osmocote Plus.

Thanks everyone!

Hi all!

I had started a grow with Fox Farm nutes, but after reading through this thread...and Doc's journals, I decided to take the plunge, and switch over to Osmocote Plus.

For the most part things have been great. I did have a magnesium deficiency, but after reading back through all the info, it seems my problem was that I had added way less OC+ than I should have. After a foliar feeding with epsom salt and a top dressing of the proper OC+ charge everything seems to be back on track.

As I was looking back through the thread though, I noticed some mention of the professional use OC+ that comes in the 50 lb. bags and is available in different formulas (3-4 mo, 4-6 mo, Hi-Start, etc...), but I don't think there was much discussion on the differences between the two.

There seems to be quite a few small differences, but the biggest one is the lack of calcium in the professional use stuff. I had been thinking of buying it in the 50 lb. bag since it would be much cheaper (I'll be using it in my vegetable garden as well), and I'm wondering what your opinions are on the differences.

I also thought that it was interesting that there are product sheets for the professional use stuff with very detailed application rates for both surface application and incorporation, but very little application info on the jugs...

The formula I was looking at was the standard release, 3-4 mo, 15-9-12 Osmocote Plus.

Thanks everyone!

The professional products are designed to be used with irrigation or tap water...which has minerals, especially calcium and magnesium.

Also, professional growers often amend their soil with things like Gypsum, bone meal and Dolomite, which are also sources of calcium. You could do some research and amend your soil with some of that and then use the "pro" products and save a bundle of money. Gypsum is cheaper than dirt, so is epsom salt.

The application rates can be found on the web.

The professional products are designed to be used with irrigation or tap water...which has minerals, especially calcium and magnesium.

Also, professional growers often amend their soil with things like Gypsum, bone meal and Dolomite, which are also sources of calcium. You could do some research and amend your soil with some of that and then use the "pro" products and save a bundle of money. Gypsum is cheaper than dirt, so is epsom salt.

The application rates can be found on the web.

Thanks for the info Doc! It sounds like I'll be buying the pro stuff when I run out of what I have now.

My latest group of clones are already growing in an organic soil mix suspiciously similar to what you're using on your current grow, along with Osmocote Plus, and they look great. So good in fact, I feel like I'm cheating by not spending hundreds of dollars on nutrients marketed specifically for marijuana.:)

Docbud, my temps are now stable, 76 low high 88. good airflow, fresh air. Should I chance OC+ or use DM Red or Purple? If i remember, irish had pretty good luck with dmred in higher temps.

If you care to see how my OC+ and DMred fed plants are doing, check the last page of my journal. The first two pics are without flash on and show better how green these plants are. The other pics look a little yellow, but that is from the flash. These plants are so healthy and green it's amazing.

Hash Hounds Nirvana Super Skunk & Papaya in Soil

Docbud, my temps are now stable, 76 low high 88. good airflow, fresh air. Should I chance OC+ or use DM Red or Purple? If i remember, irish had pretty good luck with dmred in higher temps.

76 at night 88 during the day? That's too hot, bro. I'd like to see you at 66 night 78 day.....ten degrees cooler all around.

I think OC+ would work fine in those temps, but the plants won't grow as well as they should. Adding Co2 would help....but those are not optimal temps.

Hay Phil, when my temps started getting over 85° w/ OC+ in 10l perlite hempies, my plants went from flourishing to stalling. When it got over 90°, they passed the point of diminishing return rather quickly... it was chop or let it burn itself up.

This summer will be a MaxiBloom/KoolBloom test... price is maybe better, and I'd be adding it anyway for the micronutes, and from what I've seen this winter, the girls are much happier :morenutes: Not bashing, just sayin...

Hay Phil, when my temps started getting over 85° w/ OC+ in 10l perlite hempies, my plants went from flourishing to stalling. When it got over 90°, they passed the point of diminishing return rather quickly... it was chop or let it burn itself up.

This summer will be a MaxiBloom/KoolBloom test... price is maybe better, and I'd be adding it anyway for the micronutes, and from what I've seen this winter, the girls are much happier :morenutes: Not bashing, just sayin...

yep....90 is way too high for our piddly indoor lighting. The plants won't have enough light and will spend all their energy dealing with the heat. On top of that, the nutes will dump too hard.

OC+ is designed for outdoor and/or professional greenhouse use. Professionals don't let their temps get out of control. Soil temps are almost always about 68 degrees.

So, like I've said 1000 times before:

the most important thing is environment. If you can't/won't control the environment in your growroom, just buy meds from someone who can.

On the other hand, if you take the steps necessary to control the environment, you'll be rewarded richly for your efforts.

I couldn't resist posting a few pics of my girls! The five big ones just hit two weeks in 12/12, and I think things are looking pretty good. The only thing I'm feeding them is Osmocote Plus.:)
CIMG1394.jpg

CIMG1365.jpg

CIMG13971.jpg

CIMG1398.jpg

CIMG13991.jpg

CIMG1409.jpg

CIMG1412.jpg

CIMG1413.jpg

My biggest problem is that I let them get too big while I was setting up my temporary flowering room... Oh well, I'm gonna make some mistakes on my first grow!

:cheer: Osmocote Plus! :cheer:

I don't even want to think about what I almost spent at the local hydro store! :yikes:

Dammit, Doc, I did not want to crawl around under this house, I guess you are going to make me splice into an a/c duct and run it into my room, arent you? That would get me to 70-76, low to high. Might have to drop the house temp a degree or two, but I guess I can do this still, might not kill me!! Wish I had someone I could trust around here, dammit!!!!

I couldn't resist posting a few pics of my girls! The five big ones just hit two weeks in 12/12, and I think things are looking pretty good. The only thing I'm feeding them is Osmocote Plus.:)
CIMG1394.jpg

CIMG1365.jpg

CIMG13971.jpg

CIMG1398.jpg

CIMG13991.jpg

CIMG1409.jpg

CIMG1412.jpg

CIMG1413.jpg

My biggest problem is that I let them get too big while I was setting up my temporary flowering room... Oh well, I'm gonna make some mistakes on my first grow!

:cheer: Osmocote Plus! :cheer:

I don't even want to think about what I almost spent at the local hydro store! :yikes:

You've got yourself some trees there dogg :cheer:

They look great! Are you in soil? What HID are you running?

:party:

Dammit, Doc, I did not want to crawl around under this house, I guess you are going to make me splice into an a/c duct and run it into my room, arent you? That would get me to 70-76, low to high. Might have to drop the house temp a degree or two, but I guess I can do this still, might not kill me!! Wish I had someone I could trust around here, dammit!!!!

We need an Angie's List for stoners :high-five:

Dogg.....NICE! Those are awesome plants and congrats for not wasting all that money at a hydro store. Your first grow you say? :cheer::cheer:
BlueDog: funny you should say that about Angie's list....there are a couple of 420 contractors out here and I hope to be employing one in the near future. Gonna set up professionally vented/cooled veg, bloom, curing rooms.

I'm especially exited about having a climate controlled curing room. I was very worried about who to hire so I had to ask around quite a bit.

So the majority of people use OC+ inside under a light?
It seems to me thats like putting a hydro setup in the middle of the bush.
Maybe I am obsessed with growing, I like all the watering and mixing nutes, moving plants, or whatever.
Use it outside where it was meant to be used.
Thats where it really shines, my friends!!!!!!!
Good Luck everyone.
q4

Trees for sure! I just hope my harvest doesn't suffer too much because I let them get so big. I know the lower branches aren't going to be getting much light.

:thanks: BlueDog! Yup, they're in soil. They started in a 50/50 mix of FFOF and Light Warrior with some worm castings and OC+ mixed in. When they went into the 3.4 gallon Air Pots they are in now, I added Azomite and some compost into the mix.

I'm running a 1000 watt HPS in a Magnum XXXL hood, and a Lumatek dimmable digital ballast running on the "Super Lumens" setting.

Dogg.....NICE! Those are awesome plants and congrats for not wasting all that money at a hydro store. Your first grow you say? :cheer::cheer:
BlueDog: funny you should say that about Angie's list....there are a couple of 420 contractors out here and I hope to be employing one in the near future. Gonna set up professionally vented/cooled veg, bloom, curing rooms.

I'm especially exited about having a climate controlled curing room. I was very worried about who to hire so I had to ask around quite a bit.

Thanks Doc! I know I've got a lot to learn, but I feel like I've got the best teachers one could have, here on this site.:thanks:

My plan is to put the money I'm saving on nutes into a climate controller, air conditioning and a co2 generator for my new grow room.:)

Sounds great Doc! A climate controlled curing room would be great... I don't think I know of anyone who has a setup like that. I hope you'll be able to show us the new rooms when it all comes together!!!

Docbud,
First time grow, and made a stupid mistake. I put OC+ into the small pots for my seeds. The seeds just germinated last night. Should I attempt to move them even though they just germinated in my soil (promix) or try to see if they will live with the OC+? Thanks.

Docbud,
First time grow, and made a stupid mistake. I put OC+ into the small pots for my seeds. The seeds just germinated last night. Should I attempt to move them even though they just germinated in my soil (promix) or try to see if they will live with the OC+? Thanks.

Hey beebop not to speak for Doc but OC+ is awesome with seeds, seedlings and clones. It won't burn them and they thrive. One thing you can do is water with cooler water, it will cause even less oc+ to be released. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom