Overwatering

1BadVTX

420 Member
Hey guys I am running a big bag of ffof, additional 20 - 30% perlite, around 10 lbs of worm castings in three gallon felt pots for autos the center of the pot about a solo cup size hole is seed starter soil. They are just out of seedling stage
My questions is can i saturate the soil without worries of over watering now that I have passed the seedling stage or should I continue adding small amounts more regular? i am worried about gaining dry pockets in my soil.
Thanks for any input I'm sure it has been asked before but couldn't find anything with my soil set up.

Overwatering is actually watering too soon , when pot is wet!

We saturate pots til runoff once they are established plants. ;)

Wait to dry before watering again which might take 5-10 days depending on pot and plant size.

alright awesome I will follow your advice on watering my plants are starting their third node is that established enough to start watering to runoff?

Kinda depends.
You might be able to get your soil tilth to the point to where you can treat it like a hydrosoil but it will be more difficult especially in tiny little pots.

You will also need to bottle feed.

What you are describing is exactly what I'm doing, but I am using a different soil and in 25 gallon pots with worms and cover crop so my soil tilth and my soil biology requires that I keep my soil moist at all times, I water about 1 to 1.5 gallons a day, even when I don't even have a cannabis plant currently growing i still water daily for the soil biology, worms, cover crop.

yeah right here is one of them the others are around the same size

1609446753919407003569.jpg

Kinda depends.
You might be able to get your soil tilth to the point to where you can treat it like a hydrosoil but it will be more difficult especially in tiny little pots.

What you are describing is exactly what I'm doing, but I am using a different soil and in 25 gallon pots with worms and cover crop so my soil tilth actually and my soil biology requires that I keep my soil moist at all times, I water about 1 to 1.5 gallons a day, even when I don't even have a cannabis plant currently growing i still water daily for the soil biology, worms, cover crop.
I have biobizz for later in the stages I read that the soil I am using can carry my plants for the first couple of weeks before starting nutes. biobizz feeding shows starting it in week 3 I believe. i just don't want to burn them if they are too young

My method of growing is pretty much the opposite of what most folks in here will advise you.
To me if my soil was such that I had to let it literally dry out for 5+ days before watering again then that soil isn't worth growing in and I'd dump it and start over. But thats me.
If I had to grow in tiny pots (under 7 gal) and was going to bottle feed then I would just grow in coco with 30% aeration and water everyday with 1/4 strength nutrients.

I prefer growing totally organic so I have to use larger pots at least 15 gallon minimum so there's plenty of nutrients all the way to harvest and large root mass to store nutrients for flower.
So I do Living Organic Soil no-till with worms, predator bugs, cover crops.
Inoculated with mycorrhazae, the best way by far to water this type of soil is small amounts several times a day and never let it dry out.
You don't want it wet, in fact if the soil is working properly you really can't over water unless you toss it in a swimming pool.
But just adding enough water to keep the soil nice and moist is just right and all the roots, worms, microbes etc stay happy.
I also super oxygenate my water so everytime I water I add dissolved oxygen into the soil.

Kinda depends.

What you are describing is exactly what I'm doing, but I am using a different soil and in 25 gallon pots with worms and cover crop so my soil tilth and my soil biology requires that I keep my soil moist at all times, I water about 1 to 1.5 gallons a day, even when I don't even have a cannabis plant currently growing i still water daily for the soil biology, worms, cover crop.
This is what I do in Happy Frog I feed and flush as if it was hydro so my soil is always completely wet every other day from the flush feed I do. This is my result after 47 days into the flip without vegging them at all from seed. I never have a water issue and I soak my pots every other day so much I need to use my shop vac to empty the oil pans. Day one then today with the treat like hydro but in soil.
1802320-5c0e60f1b9b4a9805424461cf76693c3.jpg
IMG_20201231_150946_hdr.jpg

Yeah I'd agree with @Lime. Let those roots spread out in search of water a bit more. Especially with an auto. I'd love to do what you're doing @Nunyabiz but my space won't allow for large pots unfortunately. Thought about coco too but another stepping stone is I don't have much free time to be mixing nutes and feeding daily. Found with the size pots I use and the biobizz soil I can usually go 2-3 days between feeds at their thirstiest letting the soil dry out completely.

Back
Top Bottom