Pete Detroit's First Grow, Indoor, Dirt, Multi Strain: Round Two

Ok, Oldest Auto EVER, Zilla(1) is FINALLY starting to Ripen - may start selectively taking nuggs, and do a low / slow cure in a bag in the fridge - I prolly got THAT much 'free space' in there..
🤣

Seriously, kinda interested to see what that actually tastes / kicks like...

Ok, Oldest Auto EVER, Zilla(1) is FINALLY starting to Ripen - may start selectively taking nuggs, and do a low / slow cure in a bag in the fridge - I prolly got THAT much 'free space' in there..
🤣

Seriously, kinda interested to see what that actually tastes / kicks like...

Patience, grasshopper.

If you can wait, WAIT. And then wait another week after that. She'll let you know when she is done.

This is the BORING part of a grow not much is OBVIOUSLY changing, just buds, putting on weight...
But THAT they ARE! Did see one or two colas (lower ones, oddly) while watering that had pistils that were just beginning to darken... but couldn't find him again for pix... so, just one of the plant, and close up of two colas. Stay Frosty!
Meanwhile, she's been "In Bloom" for 6 weeks (7 from flip) so this week she's going to get top water for two days to make sure the bloom ferts are well watered in for use, then next week, she starts to drought...

Ok, winding down, she's droughting this week (or for a few days, anyway.) As I can't REALLY use 'droop' to determine anything, gonna keep an eye on the Trichs - apparently they get hockey stick heads To THAT point, lots of bud pr0n this week. First things first - Grateful Bud had posted some AMAZING pix, asked what he used - he sent me a link -
Kalt AGFA 8x Loupe - like $10, $4 shipping, arrived in a few days. Loupe is 8x, was able to find a couple of properly sized rubber bands to secure it over the phone's camera. Camera has 3 settings - 1x, (where I mostly shoot) 2x, and 5x, that I HAD been using for bud close ups. played with it tonight, took pix at 8x, 16x, and 'unassisted' at 5x. Upside, AMAZING magnification, especially at 16x. Downsides include VERY small target area, and horrible depth of field. (how much of the picture is actually in focus) As you can see, at 16x you are only focused on a SMALL target, and little depth. 5x on the other hand, gets you almost as close, a bigger pic, and MUCH more depth. So, there's that.
To start with, we have a pic of a bug stuck in the Trichs, presumably dead. As with all great WTF pix, I didn't see him until I was cropping and reviewing. Anyone have any idea what the heck kind of bug this IS??? frikking things been buzzing around for a while, don't seem to be doing any damage, (other than to my sanity). As you can see, (by compare to the Trichs he's stuck in) and they're half or less the size of the fruit flies I can' t totally get rid of in the kitchen... Anyway. Wash plan engaged! Went to give her a last drink for a while (She'd been tailing off, down to 2L / day, or less) and she had some MAJOR droop! I guess the massive colas overwhelmed most of even her stocky stalks... SO, off to find some thread... Yeah, I've got some SOMEWHERE, but FINDING it? Forgettabout it... Dollar Store Nope - but DID get a buncha springy clothespins for $1... Kroger? Try again... ended up at WMart (Yecch) and the CHEAP thread was of course, all gone...
Dammit.
But, re-assembled the SCROG / light frame, and got the biggest of 'em back more or less vertical.. Figure I'll drought her for 4-7 days, depending on Trichs, and chop when "ready" Let dry for a bit, then buck 'em, and feed 'em across the circle trimmer - Thanks for the suggestion, Emelia! (Hand Cranked Bud Trimmer should give you about 100 results) then paper bags, and jars. MIGHT have to leave ONE of those bitches whole, just for the sheer glory of it... Also, final pix of Zilla (remember Zilla?) judged her buds to be ready, mostly, and took 'em in two cuts, about a week apart. This week we have one shot of what's left of her as a plant, and some 5x close ups on the buds. ALL the bud pix were resized to disembiggen, but not cropped - at mag, the nuggs FILL the frame.
Ok, I think that's pretty much our story thus far, prolly some late week bud shots to look for twisted Trichs, and definately a post mortem to look at root balls (and I'm pretty sure I know what went WRONG w/ Zilla getting drowned) On to the Pix!

OK, all bud pr0n post. Took close ups of a few buds at 5x (just the phone) then again w/ the loupe Pretty sure it was just 8x - you can see the edge of the loups at the edge of the frame. The focus / depth issue is pretty clear. Going to have to play w/ the 40x (loupe + 5x phone magnification) see if it's even POSSIBE to get a shot in focus - but even blurred, you can see that the Trichs are getting elongated / distorted / spikey... which I think is the point of the droughting? (to enhance flavor / effects / potency). Not sure what the "hairs" are - some appear to be organic / plant sourced, but others might well be mine, that come loose when working in there. Yet ANOTHER good reason to wash the buds, even when grown indoors. I mean really, I don't think I'd want to taste burnt hair. Yukk!

Ok, more bud pr0n - all nominal power, some zooming in by me. What I'm looking for here is dark pistils - or, at this point, specifically how many LIGHT ones we have, as in general, the colas appear to be darkening. But they're still pretty green at the tips. Decided to do a bit of a 'compare / contrast' on flavor / strength of early harvest (immature)
buds, vs later harvest fully mature bud, and who knows, may even leave a couple to get over ripe.
This is SUPPOSED to mature in 8 weeks, it's been all of that, in bloom (9 weeks since flip. But, consistently, the tips are pretty green. Took shots with phone alone at 1 x, and cropped to zoom in. Dear GHOD, these things are SO frosty. 30 years of evolution, I guess! In any event, cut 'em, weighed 'em (to get before / after drying measurements) bucked 'em, trimmed up in the salad spinner (Similar to this one, mine only has one blade, but was like $80....

Got them to a nice '1/2 manicure' state pretty quickly - seriously, took longer to unpack the thing than I spent using it... Off to the paper bag, and the fridge. DID vape up one of the LARFY buds, little flavor (shokka) and pretty green taste. still, got a bit of a buzz on... we'll see how it goes.

The bumps on the shafts had me freaked out a bit, thought they were looking 'male' but the presence of pistils is somewhat re-assuring Not that I'd harvest a week early even if they WERE pollen sacks. Actually, wouldn't mind a few seeds from this beauty!

MAN that's some sticky stuff, just the bit of bucking *I* did, had a layer of finger hash (rolled off into the drying bag) and scissors being a bit sticky.. Spin-trimmer DID come w/ a small shear, might try that next time.

Any who, here we go...

Ok, more bud pr0n - all nominal power, some zooming in by me. What I'm looking for here is dark pistils - or, at this point, specifically how many LIGHT ones we have, as in general, the colas appear to be darkening. But they're still pretty green at the tips. Decided to do a bit of a 'compare / contrast' on flavor / strength of early harvest (immature)
buds, vs later harvest fully mature bud, and who knows, may even leave a couple to get over ripe.
This is SUPPOSED to mature in 8 weeks, it's been all of that, in bloom (9 weeks since flip. But, consistently, the tips are pretty green. Took shots with phone alone at 1 x, and cropped to zoom in. Dear GHOD, these things are SO frosty. 30 years of evolution, I guess! In any event, cut 'em, weighed 'em (to get before / after drying measurements) bucked 'em, trimmed up in the salad spinner (Similar to this one, mine only has one blade, but was like $80....

Got them to a nice '1/2 manicure' state pretty quickly - seriously, took longer to unpack the thing than I spent using it... Off to the paper bag, and the fridge. DID vape up one of the LARFY buds, little flavor (shokka) and pretty green taste. still, got a bit of a buzz on... we'll see how it goes.

The bumps on the shafts had me freaked out a bit, thought they were looking 'male' but the presence of pistils is somewhat re-assuring Not that I'd harvest a week early even if they WERE pollen sacks. Actually, wouldn't mind a few seeds from this beauty!

MAN that's some sticky stuff, just the bit of bucking *I* did, had a layer of finger hash (rolled off into the drying bag) and scissors being a bit sticky.. Spin-trimmer DID come w/ a small shear, might try that next time.

Any who, here we go...

Congrats on the harvest Pete!
Looking mighty sticky!
This is only partial, and you are letting the rest continue right? The message I see consistently here is "wait another week".

This last harvest I did same - took a few nice buds a week or two early just as comparison. Those buds smoke great! Lots of flavor after dry / cure. The high is very pleasant and uplifting. The remainder I waited until all pistils were red (no more white), and were almost completely swallowed up by the calyx. I really like the high off those later buds. Glad I waited.

Thanks, GBud! watching them, am inclined to take them as they ripen... couple of colas every coupla days, an hour of dicking around and done... as opposed to an all day effing marathon to get it all the same afternoon!. But that's just a thought... Prolly let one get overripe, too, again just to compare... But yeah, the early hsit I took above (low lying buggers anyway..) some of the ones I took today, the pistils had been pretty we reabsorbed, or what ever happens to 'em CRAZY effing hobby, man!
What's your usual wet / dry weight compare (assuming you've ever weighed 'fresh cut' ) ?
Stuff I cut today was pretty fluffy, I think it's never gonna be hard or dense... Stupid clippers that came with the salad spinner worked GREAT for trimming / bucking (like sheep shears, but smaller!). SEEMED to be less finger fatigue than the small scissors I had been using...

I dry in a paper bag in the fridge. I place about 120 grams in a fairly thick paper grocery bag. Takes about 12-14 days. I get about 30 grams into the jar. You lose about 75% of the weight during dry.

This last time I put in jars fairly damp still - around 66-68%. Thought maybe that might help with the cure by burping often to get down to 62%. Don't think that worked so well as it appears to me the better smelling jars are the ones I slightly over dried in the fridge. Pulled a bag out and in the jar it was already 58%. I added a Boveda packet to the jar and burped as usual - twice a day for 7 days, then once a day for 7 days, then maybe twice a week. That jar smells better. The others are doing ok; the nice icky smell seems to be slowly returning. A little better than last year but still not ideal.

I'm thinking because I wash and also dry in the fridge I'm losing many terpenes. Doing either of those you supposedly lose some terps. Next grow I'll harvest one plant no wash at all, and maybe another wash without lemon juice. Maybe just plain water. I read here recently that lemon juice may also cause terp loss.

Just thinking out loud.
I just smoked a 1/3 doobie and am feeling really good!

:lot-o-toke:

I dry in a paper bag in the fridge. I place about 120 grams in a fairly thick paper grocery bag. Takes about 12-14 days. I get about 30 grams into the jar. You lose about 75% of the weight during dry.

This last time I put in jars fairly damp still - around 66-68%. Thought maybe that might help with the cure by burping often to get down to 62%. Don't think that worked so well as it appears to me the better smelling jars are the ones I slightly over dried in the fridge. Pulled a bag out and in the jar it was already 58%. I added a Boveda packet to the jar and burped as usual - twice a day for 7 days, then once a day for 7 days, then maybe twice a week. That jar smells better. The others are doing ok; the nice icky smell seems to be slowly returning. A little better than last year but still not ideal.

I'm thinking because I wash and also dry in the fridge I'm losing many terpenes. Doing either of those you supposedly lose some terps. Next grow I'll harvest one plant no wash at all, and maybe another wash without lemon juice. Maybe just plain water. I read here recently that lemon juice may also cause terp loss.

Just thinking out loud.
I just smoked a 1/3 doobie and am feeling really good!

:lot-o-toke:
Thought washing was mandatory for outside grows... but hey, yeah, play around, find out. Take notes, and it's like all sciency, 'n sheet...

75% weight loss - wow. was hoping it would be better than that...

Yeah, wish I had a fridge for drying, but whaddya gonna do. Drying in paper sacks in a closet, RH in the house this time of year is prolly ~40% (idiot! you HAVE meters...)

Prolly should get some Bovda packs... keep the jars from getting overly crispy while burping...
DEFINATELY need to fin one of the several cubes of note paper to label the jars - gonna be an issue REAL soon now...

Back
Top Bottom