Pete Detroit's First Grow, Indoor, Dirt, Multi Strain: Round Two

Ok, no pix of Goldie today, as she pretty much looks the same. She was down a liter, so topped her off. Zilla had a lot of dead looking yellow leaves, so I trimmed her a bit. Putting out new growth, both at the bud tips, and new sugar leaves. Standard advice would be to trim off the 'little, lower, budlets "They won't develop into anything anyway..." Except that's where most of the chlorophyll is!
:p

Ay any rate, the buds on the main stems are getting decently sized, and the pistils are beginning to turn. Trich's are still clear. Soil was still moist on top, so didn't add any water.
Anyway, enjoy the Pix!

Ok, one of Goldie, one of Zilla, and SEVERAL amazing bud top shots. (yup, need to go back in tomorrow, and trip out the dead, yellow shit) New phone (Set up pains - Yearrgh!) has a Effing DECENT camera! We have Elder Buds (week ish out) that are showing maybe 30% Pistil darkening, and perhaps Trich's going milky (none amber). Other's, younger, that all all white, and clear. Does anyone else ever harvest a plant in stages? It sure as EFF looks like these are going to Ripen In Their Own Time.. Golly, thought there was something else to say here.. Zilla was dry on top, but damp at finger depth, no water yet ( Goldie seems to be going through a L / day.. Oh! Planted a Blueberry Kush (Anchor of next grow, and SUMnaBEACH them buds look pretty! (yeah, profesonal bud modeling shots - but hey, it's what we've got) Assuming she sprouts, we'll start the new grow blog, w/ three Sativa heavy autos..

Well, that is always an option. meanwhile, costs nothing to let it go, see if they 'mature' properly. Agreed, need to get in there and get all the dead leaf out before it gets toxic / starts to rot...
You may be beyond that. Keep it away from the other plant just in case.

Ok, so - Decided that the larger colas (mostly ripe) from the ends of major shoots would be easier to trim OFF the plant - so nipped 'em in the bud, so to speak. Set 'em in the trimmings bowl, and went after the rest of the poor girl. Took pix of the rest of the big-ish buds, to determine who had color in the pistils / Trichs, and who did not. Only took the "elder" buds, w/ 50%+ colored pistils, every body else got as much of the yellow leaf trimmed out as I could (only took most of an hour) Then I trimmed out the buds (turned out to be faster / more effective to just pluck the crap off, rather than scissoring it. End result? several decent sized bus that don't look horrible, BIG pile of trim that probably won't kill me, and a highly stressed plant that is going to be VERY motivated to finish those remaining buds..
Dirt was STILL damp at finger depth, no water.
Goldie, OTOH had drained her pan dry , and got 2L refresh. What a BEAST she's become!!! I think re-potting into more dirt was a BONUS plan, Thanks, GBud!
And, the pix..

Well, THAT was interesting... (rather in the Chinese sense)
All the nuggs are in a paper lunch sack, btw - sitting out here in the living room for a few days, then into the fridge for a 'low and slow' eventually to a jar, to cure...
Meanwhile... took the smallest nugg, set the toaster oven for 200 and let it roll for 10 min.. shut it off, let it 'soak' for another 20, or so.. was no quite crispy when I pulled it out, but it when though the shredder just fine... loaded it into the vape, and let it 'toast' for a min... (or 6)
Initial huff was VERY grassy - NO shokka there. Then, It was all the same spicy goodness as (2)'s proto buds - Ginger and Sandalwood, tho both pretty relaxed, and also some nutmeg and cinnamon.
I can see why they call this "Cookies"
In ANY event... Nice 'buzzy' high, really enjoyed watching PBS (and Alone - Frozen during the interminable fundie segment) docco on Facism in Europe.. and over an hour later, I'm still energized and NOT 'couch locked' - and here I thought this was an Indica? (just checked, 60/40 IS) Might be a good idea to harvest early, and change the intensity / flavor of the buzz.. We'll see what other nuggs develop as..

Well, THAT was interesting... (rather in the Chinese sense)
All the nuggs are in a paper lunch sack, btw - sitting out here in the living room for a few days, then into the fridge for a 'low and slow' eventually to a jar, to cure...
Meanwhile... took the smallest nugg, set the toaster oven for 200 and let it roll for 10 min.. shut it off, let it 'soak' for another 20, or so.. was no quite crispy when I pulled it out, but it when though the shredder just fine... loaded it into the vape, and let it 'toast' for a min... (or 6)
Initial huff was VERY grassy - NO shokka there. Then, It was all the same spicy goodness as (2)'s proto buds - Ginger and Sandalwood, tho both pretty relaxed, and also some nutmeg and cinnamon.
I can see why they call this "Cookies"
In ANY event... Nice 'buzzy' high, really enjoyed watching PBS (and Alone - Frozen during the interminable fundie segment) docco on Facism in Europe.. and over an hour later, I'm still energized and NOT 'couch locked' - and here I thought this was an Indica? (just checked, 60/40 IS) Might be a good idea to harvest early, and change the intensity / flavor of the buzz.. We'll see what other nuggs develop as..
Dude.
Back in the day we used to scrape resin out of the down stem on the bong and smoke it. I've smoked some rank weed, and I'm certain I have smoked paraquat. On a dare I once put crushed quaalude on a bowl and smoked it.

Not sure I would smoke that.

"Not sure I would smoke that."
Just curious, what's your concern?
"Not sure I would smoke that."
Just curious, what's your concern?

Never mind, just read your post on your thread.
Yeah, no rot yet but definitely wanted to get the dead leaf out asap

OK, winding it down, and new grow kicks off... Zilla got another 5x camera survey of nuggs, and I took all that looked 'ripe' (didn't bother w/ pix, looked much the same at the last ones) There's a pick of what's left - not much and looking pretty larf-y.. but we'll see - costs nothing to give them another week, at this point.. Thinking next w/e, need to set up a 'bloom room' in another part of the basement, so I can force Goldie into bloom. going to try another round of LST now that branches are longer, and can reach beyond the edge... She got her first major haircut today - went in and took out a shit pile of fan leaves - a effing 9" salad bowl of them! Not sure what's gonna happen to them in the long run, I'll probably sample some, but mostly go to my friend to process into edibles... but hells yeah, a big ol pile of fwee sheet, opened it up a bit for better light and air.

Spent a little time this evening, re-tied Goldie's outer branches down to spread her out / open her up. Sat plan is to get some PVC, set up a scrog frame (Thinking she'll need it just for support) figure some kind of light shield and put her on 12/12 at full 300 W. 2nd light, a Vivio 100w should be plenty for the new kids, for a while. But yeah, Goldie's footprint REALLY wants the larger Mars Grow footprint. Anyway, here she is, opened up

After reading up on how important it is to be DARK for plants to trip to bloom w/o stress that can trip them to hermie, decided that until I get a Bloom Room going, I needed to do Something Else w/ Goldie. The Root Cellar would be about perfect, but there's no outlets. SHOULD be able to put an adapter socket into the light socket, or worst case replace the light socket w/ one with a plug - or cut a hole to the other room (Where she is now) and run an extension cord - that's probably easiest, and could also use the hole for venting purposes / keeping the air fresh. Other than the power issue, Root Cellar is much larger than the room she's in, and where she is now, she's blocking access to the fuse box, which is where I switch the garage power on and off. Not normally a big deal, as I dosconnected the Opener when it died, and have been running it manually for a year or two... But I've got flood lights - when the motion sensors worked, I could just leave 'em on. But when that failed, they'd be on all night, and shining into the neoghbor's house, bothering him. So there you go. AS a result, hoping I don't have to mount a SCROG screen to the frame (currently 'just' acting as a light hanger).
So, the son of the previous owner (who's about my age - the son, that is) was a HAM operator, and they put up a wall across the back of the basement to make a 'radio room'. 12 foot workbench, nearly 3 ft of 'aisle' b/n the bench and the wall. When I got the cat, I fitted a piece of plywood to fit the doorway, and just hold it closed w/ rotating toggle blocks. Not elegant, but it keeps the cat out. picked up a pair of hinges today to rectify that - If I'm going in twice a day to water, I want something easier to operate.
SCROG frame was a quickie project - 3x 10f sections of 1/2" PVC pipe, cut in half. Cut two of the halves into 3ft / 2ft sections, for top 'sides'. 3 way corner elbows (4 of). No cement / glue, want to be able to dissemble / modify it. Friction fit "Seems" secure, but I'll prolly get bungies to put things in compression - no point in risking a $250 grow lamp falling into the crop because the hanging frame fell apart, eh?
Hmmm, cheap bungies - sounds like a job for Harbor Freight... Anyway, set up the frame, hung the light, dragged her in there, gave her water and shut the lights off. Tomorrow, start her on bloom ferts, and she'll get her 2L / day top down for a few days to rinse it in, then back to the SIP tray (GeoFlora, if you're curious_ ) From other's comments, I expect two weeks of major vertical growth, then the heavy buddage begins. Can't Wait!!!
Meanwhile, here she is in her new "home" totally blocking things...

Dark for how long to get her to flower? I’ve heard you go from 18 hours light to 12 hours dark. That should trigger flower.
Be safe with anything electrical.

Thanks, GB! She had been on 20 / 4, so would prolly go to flower at 14 / 10 especially given all the pre-flower activity. But yeah, running pretty much the full 300 W for 12 / 12.
Full agreed, on the electrical. 3 years of TV shop in High School (Yes, that was a thing, BITD) I do know my sphincter from a divot - but I seriously doubt there's a genuine ground wire to that light socket, and for venting reasons making a hole to the other room where there IS grounded power available makes a whole lotta sense. REALLY hate to blow up the lamp by feeding it improper power...

Dude.
Back in the day we used to scrape resin out of the down stem on the bong and smoke it. I've smoked some rank weed, and I'm certain I have smoked paraquat. On a dare I once put crushed quaalude on a bowl and smoked it.

Not sure I would smoke that.
:thumb: I heard that GB, Any resin, scraped from pipes, bongs, mixed with roach weed, anything to make it to the next bag. We DID used to bong quaaludes! DMT on mint flakes
anybody? It's unreal how freaking far weed has come since the 10$ lids in Jr high &high school. Trying to grow in my bedroom closet (hidden from mom) with fluorescents! I couldn't dream of the nugs I grow, much less the ones like shed or stoneotter or other master growers harvest on here. I like your style Pete. Work with what you got. Looking good. I'll see you guys around.
Stay stoneder.

A member here had a really bad grow-related electrical fire last year and lost everything including his home.
Be safe. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
WOAH!!!
That would TOTLLY be The SUCK!
Yeah, NO!! NOT Effing around, to find out...
DID have to do a hard rewire to incorporate the replacement brick (Ballast, or what ever they called it) Mars sent me to 'repair' my deflective unit - (It was NOT as "modular" as they assumed - wires broke, there was MUCH snipping, stripping, splicing involved) but I got it working, and they were apparently hapy not to have to replace the unit.
Next time I have issue w/ ANYONE, I'll know better.. "Nope, not swapping out anything not a pluggable unit - give me a whole new one, thanks... "

Back
Top Bottom