Pete Detroit's First Grow, Indoor, Dirt, Multi Strain: Round Two

Then there were two. Apparently, when I gave them some bloom ferts last week, it seems Zilla(1) is loving it, and charging ahead. Zilla(2) otoh, quickly turned yellow, and wilted. I trimmed off most of the loose dead leaf, there is SOME green still going on - but not much. Not sure if she's got time to recover, as they've got nominally 3 weeks left on their clocks. The past few times I looked at Goldie, I noticed she had some 'fan' leaves w/ pale spots, looked like lamp burn so they got removed today as well. I think that should be a good thing.

Bummer.
Not sure what it was that did her in. Very weird.
Article I saw on another site suggested the PH of the soil might have gone toxic...
I think I'm inclined to walk away from those ferts, tho - save 'em for the roses...

When I first started growing, burned the holy heck out of several plants with hot soil and synthetic fertilizer(s).
Thought more was better.
Yep, it happens.
Funny thing, they both got the same dose - Guess (1) was hungried than (2) checked the other day, there was still a hint of green, she may come back, but w/ only two weeks or so to go on her timer (matures in nominally 75 days, and they're about 8 weeks, at this point) I don't see her doing much. #1, otoh, looks NOICE!

Ok, time for the Weekly update - Zilla(2) still has green in the stick, but pretty much none in leaf. Gave her one last shot of water today, but I suspect the shears are next.
Goldie is looking pretty fab, top her AGAIN in a week or so. Gave her a 2nd shot of the GeoFlora Veg. Looking over the notes, looks like it was two weeks ago when I also dosed the Zillas, so tomorrow (1) will get a shot of the GF Bloom. At 8 weeks, she should have about 2.5 or so left to go - we'll see.
The good thing about Goldie is no new discoloration, all new growth looks great, and I trimmed off the few remaining 'scorched' leaves just to be certain. Also tied her down a bit to keep her back from the light, and improve air. As she's still vegging along, not planning to do any major trimming for a while, just let her Pump It Up, as it were. Zilla(1) - just just Zilla, any more, I suppose, continues to bud up. I checked w/ Herbies (the source) and the pic they showed was several nuggs on a branch, as opposed to massive colas. So things would seem to be moving along properly. They described then as "huge nuggs, the size of ping pong balls" - I think I'd be Ok w/ that, especially for a first grow. Did get out on Sat, and pick up ingredients for another batch of dirt will need to refill Juicy's pot, and add more to both Zilla pots - both to amend what's left when the gals come out, and just get more volume in there... Prolly want to just dump, or at least massively dilute the toxic bucket that killed (2)
Anyway, family portraits...

Looking good Pete!
Yeah, the two that ain't dead!
:p

Good thing I started w/ 4!
Trying to figure out what to start for the next crop of Autos - Primary contenders are DOs-see-dos (~30%, 10-15 weeks), Northern Lights / paki Kush (up to 33%, 10-16 weeks), and Runtz ( ~29%, 10 - 15 weeks)
ALL heavy hitters, all long enough period (presumably) to recover from topping - shoul be some big ol shit going on!

Yeah, the two that ain't dead!
:p

Good thing I started w/ 4!
Trying to figure out what to start for the next crop of Autos - Primary contenders are DOs-see-dos (~30%, 10-15 weeks), Northern Lights / paki Kush (up to 33%, 10-16 weeks), and Runtz ( ~29%, 10 - 15 weeks)
ALL heavy hitters, all long enough period (presumably) to recover from topping - shoul be some big ol shit going on!
Check out this thread. Very interesting concept of using buckets but with a reservoir on the bottom.

I'm outdoor which is a totally different world!

If you want to see some REALLY beautiful plants / buds - check out Krissi's grow.
Be warned - droughting is not for the faint-hearted.

Check out this thread. Very interesting concept of using buckets but with a reservoir on the bottom.

I'm outdoor which is a totally different world!

If you want to see some REALLY beautiful plants / buds - check out Krissi's grow.
Be warned - droughting is not for the faint-hearted.
I'm thinking of trying to engineer a SIP set up, need to learn more about it
Tripped over Krissi's article a bit ago, have chewed my way through 9 pages - nice to cut to teh chase, and see the results! No droughting for me at this time, I think, might w/ the next crop, or when Goldie's getting close...
Thanks for the links!

Ok, due to the holes in the bottoms of the buckets, goign to need to replace EVERYthing to get a true SIP set up, and that ain't gonna happen any time soon. But, I figure, get a couple of deep trays, use them as a resevoir, figure the gravel / soil in the bottom of the bucket can provide wicking, drill a few small holes in the sides for ventilation.. worst case scenario, if plants start looking drowned we'll dump the trays and go back to top watering...

All rightie Mission accomplished! This morning, Zilla got a scoop of GeoFlora Bloom, and 2L of water to wash it down. The tray was about 1/2 full this evening, so topped it off. Did drill holes every 2-3 inches for ventilation. The holes are about the same size as the thickness of the bucket wall, so I don't THINK I'll lose much dirt. Will monitor the situation, see if they seem to be sucking up the water and thriving, or just getting soggy and bummed. If this works, I'm a genius, and if not, well, I'm out $5 for some shitty plastic trays. The smaller trays (for the smaller buckets) have a bullseye pattern of rings in the bottom, w/ no connecting channels, so there's a pair of chopsticks in there to allow for good flow..

Goldie's larger tray has a more practical design, so no further mods were required. Despite the lower wall height, it holds about 3L, be interesting to see how long she takes to schlurp it up

In terms of activity, Zilla is getting benevolent neglect - no additional training, just water and one more dose of ferts. Goldie, OTOH, was getting a little big for her britches, so I added / tightened the tie downs - golly, what a shrubbery!

Zilla(2) was removed, and stripped, got maybe 1/2 cup of leaf and larf. Pictured was the biggest of the budlets, nearly 1/2 the size of my thumb, and sticky as hell. Expect it's gonna taste like shit, but gotta see if there's any THC..

Drive by update - Low Tech SIP appears to be successful! Goldie was down about a litre, Zilla less than 1/2 of that - but she may be suffering from too small a pan - the bucket fits, but there's not a lot of slack for reservoir value.
Both plants looking lush and strong, not wilty and drowning... Will definitely keep an eye on 'em, but at first glance, this appears to be a YUUUGE win!
Prolly put up pix tomorrow.

Well, THAT was "interesting"..
kind of in the Chinese sense..
Decided to sample the Dead girl tonight - found that proto bud from the pic, and another one..
they'd been sitting in an open bowl since I trimmed them off Dead Momma yesterday.
Crispy dry? Not
Cured? it is, to laugh. But, what was the experience?
(Vaped - put it in, let it chill a min to dry out, then puff it..
First hit(s) green, grassy shokka..
Then, spice (Pickled? Ginger?) and going to a renfair scent shop, mainly sandalwood..
Finish huffs were more metallic, oily, hint or fabric, dust and leather.. rather like an airport luggage carousel. go figure. Started off as a very "happy hippy' buzz, but is headed towards couch lock (There was significant alcohol involved earlier, and it's getting late, so YAWN - what ev's ) Otoh, that's where this MoFo GOES? ??
Looking Fwd to "mature" buds, and may well take some "early" to compare!

Ok, Got Zilla a bigger tray, same size as Goldie's. Dumped the residual water from the old tray back down through the top, and added 2L to top it off. Goldie was a Liter down, so she's drinking well. And fooking exploding!! I about need to raise the light again! Was going to try to spread her out / tie her down the the sides again, but there's really no where to put the branches, she's about filling that big ass bucket! I had been reading up on Scrogs, But I don't know that there's any POINT in this case - she's already nearly 3x3, and fairly even height... I noticed she's got good strong pre-flowers, and horray! They're female!! Though I'd probably let a male go, anyway. Might be a VERY interesting cross breed. Figured out how to 'rig' a SIP bucket... I've got about a half dozen plastic "2#" voffee canisters running around... Properly perforated, plumbed w/ a piece of PVC, should be a PERFECT reservoir for a 5 gal bucket... put in vent holes (into the bucket) just above the can height, use perelite as a base material, should be all set! Further docco in a separate journal... Meanwhile, Zilla's still plumping up, buds trying to form into colas, still not looking at all over watered or wilty. Man, I need to get a better close up solution, especially if I'm going to try to use photos to judge the state of the trichomes...
At any rate, topped the eff out of Goldie again, prolly the last time - if she gets any bushier I'm gonna need a bigger light...

So, yesterday am, went down to check the gals.
Zilla was NOT happy, VERY droopy looking, and dirt was good and wet on top. NOT happy. Pulled the large pan, used a coffee 'can' to get her closer to the lights, crossed fingers. Today, lotta 'new' leaf being yellow.. upshot of drowning? Late fert burn? Dunno - but w/ ~10 days (nominally) left, Imma not effign w/ it.. Note - LOWER buds still looking green and happy - may well nip these guys slowly to max harvest..
On the HAPPY side, found a camera that will actually focus on the buds / pistils, and when zooming in, show me the trichomes.. which still seem to look pretty clear.. so again, just gonna let her run for now. no more ferts or water, tho! (ok, may water in a few days, if she dries out the pot..
So, it appears I've made most of the mistakes in the book w/ the auto gals, and ROCKING it on the photo - go figure..
Oh, first seed of NEXT grow (Blackberry Kush, looks REAL pretty, photo) has a bitty tail... letting her soak overnight to get a bit bigger, 'should' be ready for the peat tomorrow. Will set up a bootleg SIP for her this w/e, see how that works out.
Goldie, otoh, is LOVING the fake SIP (she has a LOT more dirt height to work with) continues to explode and is starting to put out new shoots from the topping the other day..
Yoikes! may need to move her into another room and bloom her, just as she's getting too frikking BIG!!

Yeah, the pix are not optimized, sequentially, sorry...

Hiya Pete!

Zilla looks like she has another 2-3 weeks for sure. Something else is going on. Nute burn? Too close to the lights? Not sure what but don’t be in a hurry to chop. I still see lots of white pistils. I usually wait until she’s done putting out new pistils and calyxes are swollen. Indoors you can check trichomes (on calyx) to see no more clear, mostly cloudy with some amber.

Back
Top Bottom