Pete Detroit's 2nd Grow, Blackberry Kush Photoperiod In Soil, Also 3 High Sativa Autos

Pete Detroit

Ok, here we grow again... first grow is mainly winding down, 2 of three autos croaking it, the last one barely made it to harvest, and getting ready to switch the Photo monster over to bloom... so time to start the next run...
"Star" of the show is Blackberry Kush photoperiod (from 420, same as the Gold Leaf that's about ready to force to bloom, see previous journal )
Soaked a seed, it sprouted on Sat. Didn't check on it yesterday, prolly should have - there was a membrane (NOT captured in pix, durnnit) holding the cotyledons closed - apparently a common issue Any rate, I blame the extreme stretch on that, and poor girl was starved for light. Well, she's sitting on the rim of a bucket under the Big Boy now, I'm sure she'll be loving it
Gonna have to keep an eye on her, make sure she doesn't bet too much light, but I think she'll be ok...

Update - already responding to getting the membrane cleared, and happy lamp..

Straightening up, showing first true leaves, Looked to be sitting in a puddle, so moved up to on top of that central ridge, do NOT want to drown her this time!!! Rotated her away from the light to promote further straightening...

Ok, Busy evening... This morning, I completed assembly of the SIP tank, so this evening I mixed up hte dirt (same recipe as before - seems to be working, and it's not complicated - bag of topsoil / potting mix, 1/2 bag manure, bag (8L) of Perlite bag (6 lb) of worm poop. Start w/ the dirt, add the perlite, stir. one cup ea of blood and bone meal. Stir. Worm casts, stir. manure, stir. recycle dirt from dead plant, stir WELL. Fill the 3.5gal buckets to the collar (the bottom feed SIP might work with a larger gradient? give 'em more room, any way) Assembled the DIY SIP - would kind of like a bigger reservoir - haven't measured yet, expect it to be 1.5 - 2 L. Won't even start using it until she gets a bit bigger..

So, basic recap (as I understand it, as always I may be mis-informed / confused) of SIP theory - you have a reservoir on the bottom of your grow container, a wicking medium to help the water transport up to the growth medium (dirt, coir, rockwool, what ever) and capillary action brings it up to the root zone, and the plant drinks as needed. You have a vent port / drain just above the height of the reservoir so there's an 'air gap' to keep the roots from drowning.

So, for my first attempt at a "fuggit, let's give it a try" had mixed results - well established photo type took off like a shot, and is draining 2L+ per day. Auto that had issues (got too close to supplemental lighting when main light was 1/2 working and got pretty scorched) seemed to like it, for a while, then collapsed - I'm assuming the dirt was too little, and the roots drowned. Whole process docco'd here -

SO - This cycle we're stepping it up a notch - "Fresh" (well used, but intact) 6 gal bucket for a container. Empty Folger's coffee can for a reservoir. Auto funnel from Home Depot to fill, short piece of 1/2" PVC I had laying around as a connector. So, total cost ~$8 for the funnel.

Step 1 - drilling... small holes above height of can in sides of bucket for drainage / ventilation. Small holes in sides / top (bottom) of can to allow water / air exchange. Figured might have vacuum lock of no air could get in to the tank, but I was thinking the tube would run all the way to the bottom. Couldn't find my spade bits, so biggest solid drill I've got was just the size of the ID of the pipe - so drill the hole, and glue it to the top - moving on. Drill a BUG hole at the rim, to let water flow into the bucket. Drilled 4x pilot holes, but was a huge pain to open them up to the bigger drill (unsupported edge of the can was bendy, didn't want to play - so I used a knife on the other pilot holes to make 'outlets'... Glued the stick to the can, came back a few hours later, connection seemed wobbly, so added more glue, like a fillet. This morning, I glued the funnel into the tube. This evening it was set enough to finish (THAT junction isn't really taking a load, glue probably technically not necessary. Wound wire around a wine cork and ran it up from the bottom, hopefully it will act as a float, letting me know when it's empty. Or, more importantly, FULL, as I expect to be adding SOME water every day, once Li'l Kooshie is big enough to deal, prolly at least two weeks.

ANYWAY - put the tank in the bucket, pour about 1/2 bag of perlite around the bottom, blending in a little soil at the top as a "Transition layer" (Note to self - do this OUTSIDE next time. it's DUSTY. Also note to self - make sure the funnel is not preventing the handle from being used to move the danged thing...) Fill w/ soil. About 6 inches from the top added 1/4 c DynoMyco. Fill bucket. Make a deep hole (stretchy girl has long neck) add a little DynoMyco on sides of hole. Carefully remove membrane from peat plug, and put her in. Add a bit of water to settle the dirt.
There ya go.

On the Sad News front, when I was moving the light to the Bloom Room for Goldie yesterday, the strings and cords and stuff knocked her over, and I thought she maybe took damage - but today she had rolled back up to the light, and seemed to be trying to stand up again. So, here we are.. Will add captions between the pix, as otherwise you'd have to click on them to read... Actually, apparently not needed..

Hi Pete, I'd like to stick around from the beginning, if you don't mind. I'm a coco guy indoors but I grow outdoors in FFOF or whatever I can find that's decent. I'm really interested in your soil. I live in a hot, dry environment so keeping the girls roots from drying out is my only real assignment. Your medium looks choice but sounds very labor intensive to get it right. I dunno, maybe I'm just stoned and lazy as fuck for real. This grow looks like it's off to a good start. All the best to you and yours.
Stay stoneder

No real change today,
Hi Pete!
Shouldn’t the soil be higher in the container?
I don’t know much about it so pardon my ignorance. Ive seen a few other users doing this here and am intrigued.
You mean over the 'tank' at the bottom, or closer to the rim, to finish? Prolly could have filled it fuller, but that's just what I'm used to - don't know WHY we didn't use more dirt, BITD, but that just looks full to me. If you're talking height of dirt above tank, I have NO idea - I've seen some that use a perforated plastic insert (like a false bottom in a beer brewer's mash tun) and some with a cloth layer - dunno. Emilya seems to think the 'air gap' is the key - part of why I put holed in the top of the tank, and made drain / vent holes all the way around. This is all a walk off the deep end into the great unknown for me, too - glad to have company on the trip! I think the theory is, in large beds, w/ large reservoirs, you can get away w/ only watering every few days. Pretty sure before she goes to dark she'll be needign multiple doses of liter + / day, same as Goldie when I was bottom feeding her (soon to resume).

Hi Pete, I'd like to stick around from the beginning, if you don't mind. I'm a coco guy indoors but I grow outdoors in FFOF or whatever I can find that's decent. I'm really interested in your soil. I live in a hot, dry environment so keeping the girls roots from drying out is my only real assignment. Your medium looks choice but sounds very labor intensive to get it right. I dunno, maybe I'm just stoned and lazy as fuck for real. This grow looks like it's off to a good start. All the best to you and yours.
Stay stoneder
No! No Viewers! All my posts are for my Private Notes ONLY!
/Sarc!
Seriously, this is all about trying new shit, see what works. people, claim many benefits of SIPS. from roof top tomato growers to weedsters like us. Havign water / nutes avail to the plant on a 'as needed' basis makes a LOT of sense, if you can avoid drowning / rotting the roots. And evaporative losses a (supposedly) MUCH lower, tho being in the basement I'm not too fussed about that. And I expect to have to water once / twice per dayas they're peaking, so not gonna save me a LOT of time there - but if I can dump in 2L at a pop, and not spill on the floor, that'll be nice, and for the weeks of 'mid growth' when she's SIPping but not draining the tank, it will save effort (assuming the float works to tell me when it's dry. Figure even if it doesn't "float" I can at least bounce it, get a feel for how much water is in the tank..

As far as the soil mix goes, I hear good things about FFOF. I also read up a bit on 'Super Soil' mixes... Some seemed REALLY involved, and included weird things for micro nutes (like crushed oyster shells, for calcium) and made planter sized batches - like 200# quantities. Eff THAT!!! I'd consider buying commercial stuff, like FFOF, but I'm a CHEAP Ass Mo Fo! bag of FFOF on Amazon was $27, just looked. I got like a bag and a half, for ~15. current grow is LOVING it, only ran into issues when I added ferts, and the photo I just started to bloom is just NUTS! So, hey, the girls seem to REALLY like it can mix it up in a tote w/ a hand trowel in about 20 - 30 min. Not *too* much effort for my lazy ass, especially if I've got a bit of a sativa buzz on (Ok, LOVE the couch lock cerebral clubbing of a potent indica as much as anyone, but developing an appreciation of the buzzy 'get 'er DONE' sativa dance, as well...) Gonna be interesting to see how much is left in the bucket to 're-use' if I have to make new dirt every grow might be easier / cheaper to go to coco as a base, and just add the poops and meals...
Part of why I'm journaling is to have notes as to what worked, and what DIDN'T...
Helps to flatten the learning curve... Many years ago, as a new brewer I made an AMAZING batch of Super Beer - light, crisp, faintly hoppy, like a Stroh's Signature, or Anchor Steam - but up around 15%.
VERY drinkable, and it'd eff you UP. Did NOT write the recipe down. Have NOT been able to duplicate it...

Anyhow, all that to say, welcome to the ride, looking forward to the conversations!

Ok, checking up on Kooshie today, she's still laying close to (but not IN) the dirt. Leaves are progressing nicely, looks to be pumping her 3rd set. Given my propensity for drowning the babies (see previous grow, "round two" was REALLY round 3... MANY sprouted seeds never came up out of the soggy peat plugs) I'm REALLY fighting the urge to just water her more, she'll stand UP... leaves look GOOD, not Wilty, so letting the soil DRY before adding more water... Did raise the light, to encourage her to stand up and chase it, as opposed to trying to hide, in fear..

No! No Viewers! All my posts are for my Private Notes ONLY!
/Sarc!
Seriously, this is all about trying new shit, see what works. people, claim many benefits of SIPS. from roof top tomato growers to weedsters like us. Havign water / nutes avail to the plant on a 'as needed' basis makes a LOT of sense, if you can avoid drowning / rotting the roots. And evaporative losses a (supposedly) MUCH lower, tho being in the basement I'm not too fussed about that. And I expect to have to water once / twice per dayas they're peaking, so not gonna save me a LOT of time there - but if I can dump in 2L at a pop, and not spill on the floor, that'll be nice, and for the weeks of 'mid growth' when she's SIPping but not draining the tank, it will save effort (assuming the float works to tell me when it's dry. Figure even if it doesn't "float" I can at least bounce it, get a feel for how much water is in the tank..

As far as the soil mix goes, I hear good things about FFOF. I also read up a bit on 'Super Soil' mixes... Some seemed REALLY involved, and included weird things for micro nutes (like crushed oyster shells, for calcium) and made planter sized batches - like 200# quantities. Eff THAT!!! I'd consider buying commercial stuff, like FFOF, but I'm a CHEAP Ass Mo Fo! bag of FFOF on Amazon was $27, just looked. I got like a bag and a half, for ~15. current grow is LOVING it, only ran into issues when I added ferts, and the photo I just started to bloom is just NUTS! So, hey, the girls seem to REALLY like it can mix it up in a tote w/ a hand trowel in about 20 - 30 min. Not *too* much effort for my lazy ass, especially if I've got a bit of a sativa buzz on (Ok, LOVE the couch lock cerebral clubbing of a potent indica as much as anyone, but developing an appreciation of the buzzy 'get 'er DONE' sativa dance, as well...) Gonna be interesting to see how much is left in the bucket to 're-use' if I have to make new dirt every grow might be easier / cheaper to go to coco as a base, and just add the poops and meals...
Part of why I'm journaling is to have notes as to what worked, and what DIDN'T...
Helps to flatten the learning curve... Many years ago, as a new brewer I made an AMAZING batch of Super Beer - light, crisp, faintly hoppy, like a Stroh's Signature, or Anchor Steam - but up around 15%.
VERY drinkable, and it'd eff you UP. Did NOT write the recipe down. Have NOT been able to duplicate it...

Anyhow, all that to say, welcome to the ride, looking forward to the conversations!
The best beer I ever drank - I made it.
The worst beer I every drank - I made it. LOL!

The best beer I ever drank - I made it.
The worst beer I every drank - I made it. LOL!
WORD!!
Made a batch, using Chlorine as sanitizer in primary, Apparently didn't get it all out in fast rinse... nearly killed hte yeast, SLOW ferment, and Wholly SHEEP the chloro-phenols (plastic, burnt PC board) flavors were amazingly horrible. Offered it up to my Beer Mentor for his next class as a 'bad example' and he was all "no, I'm not that mean"
I MAY still have a bottle of "Slug Bait" around, I may have used / dumped it all..
Jayzuz, that shit was awful..
😵‍💫🤢🤮🤮

🤣🤣

Ok, after a week in the bucket, she's looking GOOD - standing taller, definitely a third set of leaves... coming on strong.. the 2nd set are about 1/2 the size of my thumb.. Two of her three sisters are sprouted, in Peat plugs, and working on first set of true leaves. Third little bitch has been soaking for nearly a week, and NO signs of life - about ready to sent the seed house a grumpy-gram.. Pix of those two coming Soon (like tomorrow, when there's daylight - yeah, they prolly need to go under the lamp). The other odd note is that I THOUGHT Blueberry Headband was an auto, but apparently She's a Photo, like Kooshie. No big deal, I have more coffee cans, and PVC, picked up another funnel at Menard's for $2 (as opposed to $6 at the Despot) as well as ingredients for another batch of dirt - so there will be PLENTY of that to go around. Which brings up the issue of having TWO big ass shrubberies in bloom.. Sounds like I need more lamps! Based on current experience (other than a 'driver' failure, right out of the gate - seriously, like a week in - that they replaced) AND some research, the Mars Hydro TSL 2000 seems to own the output / watts / $$ trifecta. So, I found a place that (due to a 5% discount code) that undercut the factory, shipped free, no sales tax (like the manufacturer, NOT like many other suppliers) Ordered two, to maximize flexibility, and I'm likely gonna WANT at least 3 eventually... (like when these gals start to get big. )
All that being said, I'm likely to have a 'free' 3.5 gal bucket for an auto, thinking a CBD Lemon Auto from Herbie's, 60 / 40 Indica / Sativa split, weighing in at a modest 17% - of BOTH THC and CBD... Sounds interesting...
Anyway, tonight's Kooshie pic..

Ok, time for the baby pics of Kooshie's siblings. First up, we have a Gelato that is taking like a whole WEEK to germinate - I dub her Pokey The Slug. FINALLY showing what appears to be a split in the shell and a bit of a root trying to get out.

The other two are well up, stretching a bit in the fall sun, so I think they're ready to go under the light. Leaves are out and looking well formed! Prolly next w/e they'll be ready to up pot into their buckets..

So, checking the Gals During their AM watering and say Cookie poking a root out of the Peat Ball. Well, obviously, THAT'S gonna cause issues if allowed to continue, don't want to damage her tender roots... so, tonight, topped off the dirt in one of the waiting pots, dug a hole (Off center, to aid with the LST later) tossed in some DynoMyco (~1T) skinned the plug and put her in. closed up the dirt, watered just a bit to settle things in. Kooshie was further along (scrolling up) and well on her 2nd set of leaves - she was also REAL stretchy, wanted to avoid that w/ these two. Anyhow, dinking around w/ the 'Float' for the tank for Boo's SIP, I snapped the glue joint b/n the tube and the tank Got it all glued up (and the cork / wire inside and giving it overnight to set up. As it really shouldn't be under any load to speak of, that should suffice. In any event, pot's not ready, she's not bustin' out yet, we'll let her slide (as opposed to uppotting 2x)
Meanwhile, Kooshie's looking FAT and sassy, strutting a 4th set of leaves - ready to top already this w/e? or am I jumping the gun a bit? She'll probably be ready to fill the sip tank the first time, and see if she can find the water, to be sure!
Any way, here's the pix -

Kooshie apparently, has a genetic issue w/ MG - she wants a LOT of it.
>Research< no biggie, add a bit of Epsom salt once in a while - while doing the research, came across THIS note on how much to water your plants, as you transition them -
"Plants in the flowering stage need more water, so allot 1 liter per plant every other day."
Given that Emilya and I both have monsters SIPping up 2+L per day, I found that to be somewhat amusing...
Just saying..

OK, weekend Update..... Jane, you ignorant slut... (Just kidding, from the 70s, back when Sat Night Live was FUNNY...)
ANYway, Kooshie was looking ready, so I popped her top of 4th leaf yesterday. Also filled the SIP tank for the first time. Today, she's showing stem shoots at the pinch site! Don't know if she's found the water yet, but the tank was down about 1.5 qt (switched from a 1L soda bottle to a 48 oz small pitcher) much of that may well have been just setting up in the bottom of the pot. Certainly, she's not looking at all wilty. The cork float isn't as responsive as I'd hoped, but as expected I CAN, 'bobble' it an get a feel for how much 'room' there is, in the tank At this point, she's 3 weeks old.
After less than a week in the Peat, the other two were starting to put roots through the webbing on the plugs - so they got sent to the dirt, Cookie on Wed, and Boo a day later. They're a little over a week old, and working on 2nd leaf set.
Seem to have a handle on this sprouting / seedling, thing! Gave 'em both a good drink to encourage the roots to stretch.. Buckets are big enough I'm not worried about overwatering, so long as I let the dirt dry out between... Anywho, quick pix...

Actually, that was from Wed, here she is today..

I think She's found the water... She hasn't had any top water since Fri, and I think she doubled in size since yesterday!
2nd pic is from the 12th, last wed. Noticeable growth by yesterday. Topped off the tank (maybe a quart) and looked at the plant, she seemed bigger. Took the pic this evening, and compared - yep... one leaf is now folding on the funnel, the two that were touching the edge yesterday are overhanging it, today. Yesterday, she was mostly below the rim, today, nearly entirely above it! She keeps THIS up, hay have to flip her to bloom before Goldie finishes! Good thing my 'extra' lights arrived! Anyhow, a week in the life...
Sunday, 10/9

Wed, 10/12

Sun 10/16

And today, 10/17 - I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!

Thanks! You and me both! I'm sure the DynoMyco layer played a part, as well, but I've NEVER seen growth like that, I'm thinking it can ONLY be called explosive... Fooking plant is (w/o actually measuring) literally 50 - 100% bigger / taller in 24 hours! Fooking INSANE!!! (also, clearly she's loving the dirt...) and the soil seems dry, as far as I get a finger in... gonna have to start w/ the Epsom treatments, soon - 1/4 t / week, to start, will increase as she embiggens, slowly unless she starts to show signs of deficiency - but I was just totally blown away! Gonna try the 'bottom sip' theory again on the 3.5 gal pots (pots w/ 'drainage holes' sitting in a pool in a 'run off' pan...) it's clearly working well for Goldie, and w a full load of soil, might be suitable for the 3.5s as well.. will have to monitor closely, don't want to kill off any more... Also, lesson learned - NO veg nutes, and VERY light bloom... Soil seems to be LOADED w what they want, and adding extra is apparently no bueno... At least w fresh soil. After it's been around the block a bit, that may change. Or I may jut keep stirring it up fresh - a batch of dirt is cheaper than a bag of GeoF...

Ok, Kooshie is a month old today, been on the SIP for just over a week, and growth is incredible! She's already pumping 3rd set of leaves after the pinch, and golly, main stem looks to be about the size of a pencil! Pretty soon, gonna pinch her again, and start the LST.... Slightly larger than standard 6 gal bucket, funnel is 4-5 in across, for scale. The BIG fan leaf is probably about the size of my hand. Gonna switch out the light Real Soon Now, run the 300w Mars Hydro at 50%, as opposed to the 'Starter' Viviosun 100w at full bore. Mars not only has more power, but also much larger footprint - important as 2 more come into play. New Sprouts - Dawn (not Don) Lemon CBD and Nikki (Northern Lights x Pakistani Chitral Kush, breeder labels it as NL PCK which looks like Nickel Pack, or Nikki, for short) are UP, and prolly ready for dirt in a week, or so. Interesting that these two did NOT get a pinch of Dyno in the plug, and I think it shows - they look somewhat stunted.. be interesting to see how long it takes them to poke roots out..
Meanwhile Cookie and Boo rolling right along, both at approx the same stage (working third set) but Cookie is about 2x the size. Which is fine, as an auto, she HAS to be fast! Approx 2 weeks old, the both of them... Not sure what caused the 'twisting' / stunting of Boo's first pair of leaves, but glad the rest are not showing same...

Anyhow, here we go...

Back
Top Bottom