Pollen Question

1stCavApache

I had a power outage last grow and it ended up causing a plant to hermie and I missed it. Long story short I had all 4 plants pollinated and seeded and now that I am ready to start new seeds I want to be sure I do what is necessary to eliminate to risk of the new plants getting pollinated. It's been 6 weeks since I took the plants down and I am going to vacuum and wipe down/clean all the surfaces really well. Will that be enough or is there a more intense process I need to go through? Thanks for your help.

I had a power outage last grow and it ended up causing a plant to hermie and I missed it. Long story short I had all 4 plants pollinated and seeded and now that I am ready to start new seeds I want to be sure I do what is necessary to eliminate to risk of the new plants getting pollinated. It's been 6 weeks since I took the plants down and I am going to vacuum and wipe down/clean all the surfaces really well. Will that be enough or is there a more intense process I need to go through? Thanks for your help.
Water kills pollen as far as I know. I would mist everything down.

6 weeks far as I know the pollen is dead unless you store it in the freezer, add to that the 6 or so weeks before any seeds you pop will preflower, I would think it would be impossible for any residual to affect you. When I do my breeding experiments in my cabinet in house, I take the pollinated plant out with my other plants (I do mist the leaves with water, but don't use a ton of water) a week later and haven't had it affect the others at all, as my old lady don't like the smell of them in Flower and about halfway thru Flower they start to smell a lot more strongly.

As has been mentioned the pollen will probably be dead. It is always a good idea to clean your grow space between grows. I use bleach water to clean them out. No telling what is in there after a long grow. It is simple to clean when there are no plants in there. A little time now can solve lots of problems later.

I always wipe everything down really well just for cleanliness sake but this is not something I want to go through ever again. I bought a generator to run my lights for the next power outage and will be way more careful about checking for nanners. I am disabled and only grow a few plants at a time for pain medicine so losing those 3 was a bid deal. I got to be sure this pollen is dead. I was worried about using bleach in the tent but maybe a weak Peroxide solution like I used to sterilize my tools would by good too. Thanks for your help guys.

Bleach is not a problem. Especially for cleaning. I actually use it for powdery mildew control. I spray a mixture of bleach and water right on the plants with no problem the bleach evaporates and is gone in a day or 2.

Some people may disagree with me which is fine. It is the only thing I have found that does not affect flowering plants. All other PM controls wilted the hairs on the buds. I have tried lots of things over the last couple of years to combat PM. This is the only thing that I have found that works. This last grow was my first in a while with no signs of PM anywhere.

So don't worry about bleach. When it comes to cleaning nothing beats it. It doesn't take much and it cleans and kills stuff you cannot see.

Thanks, I haven't used it for fear of it hurting the plants. What kind of a ratio do you think is okay to use. The tent is going to be sitting for at least a week before anything even gets germinated after it gets cleaned so I would imagine as long as I keep it mild it should be fine. I've been fortunate with mildew and mold, I keep my humidity really tight and have had luck with the strains I have chosen so far.

I got my PM from a clone from Oregon. Been fighting it every since. I use 1 TBLS to a 32oz spray bottle for growing plants so it is not to strong. It does the job so there is no need to make it any stronger.

I was amazed to find out how well it worked around plants. My mentor is who taught me about it.

Back
Top Bottom