Strain/s: Bruce Banner, LSD, Grandaddy Purp & Dosido
Genetic Makeup: mixed
Pot/Bucket Size: 5 Gallon Fabric
Tent Size: 4' x 4'
Grow Space: 14' x 10'
How Many Plants: 4
Environment: Indoor
Stage: Germination/Seedling
Medium: Coast of Maine Organic Stonington Blend 2/3 + CoM Organic Potting Blend 1/3
Lights: 400 Watt LED
Nutrients: Recharge
Room/Tent Temperature: 72°
Relative Humidity: 75%
Media/Res PH: ?
Pests: None
Watering: Spritzing until all seeds pop

Planted on 1/10/23 in 3 parts CoM Organic Stonington Blend (recommended for cannabis by CoM) and 1 part cheaper CoM organic potting blend. My first grow (which I murdered those poor girls through stress) I used FFHF and it started off great but I had no clue what I was doing when PH testing, with crappy equipment etc. Anyway, I nute locked the girls. Also stressed the hell out of them by moving them and the tent around etc. No bueno.

Anyways, I have a proper PH meter, and a better understanding of managing the environment (temp, humidity, VPD etc).

This is my setup, what I'm doing and why/how. Hopefully this will help someone or at the very least remind me what I did right/wrong the next time around.

I have an AC infinity 4x4 with the 400watt LED, Inline fan, 2 oscillating fans, a lung room fan (sucks air from lung room into tent), heater and a humidifier (AC infinity - I don't recommend). The equipment is all plugged into 2 controllers that allow me to manage temp (set at 70-73 deg), Humidity (75%), VPD .6-.7 and light intensity/time (18/6 on level 4 and 18" from canopy). I currently have everything set to try to maintain VPD for germination/seedling (.4-.8 per my understanding).

So far so good. Things I have learned re: using the fans/inline and tent vents to manage the environment:
Temperature:
* It's easier to heat the tent than cool the tent.
* Keep the lung room cooler than the tent and pull air through a fan blowing into the tent from one of the vents (I have even used ice packs in front of the fan during the summer)
* Small good quality heater is all you need to keep tent from getting too cold at night/winter.
* Keep your lights closer to the canopy and at a lower intensity if you find the tent getting too hot (mostly an issue during seedling/early veg and summer months).
* The Inline fan works better for pulling humidity our of the tent than it is for trying to cool the tent.

Humidity
* Easier to control than temp
* Use humidifier as main control device
*Use inline fan, vents and tent doors (open a crack) to vent too much humidity.
*Use containers of water, spritzing water in tent, hanging moist towels to raise humidity if humidifier is not sufficient.

VPD
For germination/seedling stage the VPD chart everyone shares online says VPD should be between .4 - .8. I struggled with this at first because there is conflicting info online, on websites and in forums about humidity range for this stage. I read that Humidity at this stage shouldn't be higher than 70% which makes it impossible to get VPD lower than .75 without dropping the temperature below 70 deg. So anyways, upon further research I found that other say humidity up to 80% is ok during seedling/germination stage. So I currently have temp at 72ish (70-73), humidity at 73-76 and VPD at .6-.7.
For great VPD calculator go here Advanced Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) Calculator - Global Garden

Germination
I planted the seeds right in the 5 gallon pots, spritzed with water and covered with ventilated plastic cups which I also sprayed with water (homemade humidity dome).
I spritz a few times a day and inside cup as well (a really light misting using misting bottle).
So far Bruce Banner and GDP have sprouted (BB on day 5 and GDP day 7).

Stay tuned...time to go blaze

Jan 10 Grow pic.jpg

Bruce Banner Sprout.jpg

Strain/s: Bruce Banner, LSD, Grandaddy Purp & Dosido
Genetic Makeup: mixed
Pot/Bucket Size: 5 Gallon Fabric
Tent Size: 4' x 4'
Grow Space: 14' x 10'
How Many Plants: 10
Environment: Indoor
Stage: Germination/Seedling
Medium: Coast of Maine Organic Stongington Blend 2/3 + CoM Organic Potting Blend 1/3
Lights: 400 Watt LED
Nutrients: Recharge
Room/Tent Temperature: 72°
Relative Humidity: 75%
Media/Res PH: ?
Pests: None
Watering: Spritzing until all seeds pop

Planted on 1/10/23 in 3 parts CoM Organic Stonington Blend (recommended for cannabis by CoM) and 1 part cheaper CoM organic potting blend. My first grow (which I murdered those poor girls through stress) I used FFHF and it started off great but I had no clue what I was doing when PH testing, with crappy equipment etc. Anyway, I nute locked the girls. Also stressed the hell out of them by moving them and the tent around etc. No bueno.

Anyways, I have a proper PH meter, and a better understanding of managing the environment (temp, humidity, VPD etc).

This is my setup, what I'm doing and why/how. Hopefully this will help someone or at the very least remind me what I did right/wrong the next time around.

I have an AC infinity 4x4 with the 400watt LED, Inline fan, 2 oscillating fans, a lung room fan (sucks air from lung room into tent), heater and a humidifier (AC infinity - I don't recommend). The equipment is all plugged into 2 controllers that allow me to manage temp (set at 70-73 deg), Humidity (75%), VPD .6-.7 and light intensity/time (18/6 on level 4 and 18" from canopy). I currently have everything set to try to maintain VPD for germination/seedling (.4-.8 per my understanding).

So far so good. Things I have learned re: using the fans/inline and tent vents to manage the environment:
Temperature:
* It's easier to heat the tent than cool the tent.
* Keep the lung room cooler than the tent and pull air through a fan blowing into the tent from one of the vents (I have even used ice packs in front of the fan during the summer)
* Small good quality heater is all you need to keep tent from getting too cold at night/winter.
* Keep your lights closer to the canopy and at a lower intensity if you find the tent getting too hot (mostly an issue during seedling/early veg and summer months).
* The Inline fan works better for pulling humidity our of the tent than it is for trying to cool the tent.

Humidity
* Easier to control than temp
* Use humidifier as main control device
*Use inline fan, vents and tent doors (open a crack) to vent too much humidity.
*Use containers of water, spritzing water in tent, hanging moist towels to raise humidity if humidifier is not sufficient.

VPD
For germination/seedling stage the VPD chart everyone shares online says VPD should be between .4 - .8. I struggled with this at first because there is conflicting info online, on websites and in forums about humidity range for this stage. I read that Humidity at this stage shouldn't be higher than 70% which makes it impossible to get VPD lower than .75 without dropping the temperature below 70 deg. So anyways, upon further research I found that other say humidity up to 80% is ok during seedling/germination stage. So I currently have temp at 72ish (70-73), humidity at 73-76 and VPD at .6-.7.
For great VPD calculator go here Advanced Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) Calculator - Global Garden

Germination
I planted the seeds right in the 5 gallon pots, spritzed with water and covered with ventilated plastic cups which I also sprayed with water (homemade humidity dome).
I spritz a few times a day and inside cup as well (a really light misting using misting bottle).
So far Bruce Banner and GDP have sprouted (BB on day 5 and GDP day 7).

Stay tuned...time to go blaze

Jan 10 Grow pic.jpg

Bruce Banner Sprout.jpg
Welcome to 420magazine my friend.
Great set up and start to your journal.
Hope you enjoy yourself here.
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Appreciate ya Bill284! Feel free to stop by anytime with tips, advise or just to say hello.
I'd love to hang out and help if I can. :thumb:
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Just came across Emilya's seedling watering tutorial and that is what I will be using for these seedlings and into veg/flower. Here is a link for others to find easily (and for me to refer to lol):
Emilya Green - The Proper Way To Water A Seedling In A Large Final Container
I Mound the center up so water runs away from the plant.
Roots chase the water.
You also have some unused space in your pots :Namaste:
Very important how you fill a pot.
I document everything in pics in my Heaven's Shores thread.
Lots of great info.
But Ems thread will get you started.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Heading over to Heaven's Shores now. I am open to and desirous of any advise, tips, knowledge and wisdom you are generous enough to share. Appreciate you!

Heading over to Heaven's Shores now. I am open to and desirous of any advise, tips, knowledge and wisdom you are generous enough to share. Appreciate you!
Sounds good.
I'll help any way I can.
I ran 5 rooms and had a harvest every four weeks for years.
Now I enjoy working with other growers learning as we go.
I just finished harvesting 12 pounds so I'm not pressed to have a huge grow going atm.
The VIVOHUT has one going I should get a couple pics of.
We will get you a good harvest I'm sure.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Day 8 since planting seeds. Bruce banner popped 3 days ago and Dosido popped yesterday afternoon. GDP has sprouted 2 days ago but the cap never came off and I decapitated her this morning trying to help :oops:. I now I know not posed to do that...sorrryyyy.

Anyways, Replanted another GDP seed -I figured autos only a week apart should be ok??!!?? Please feel free to show me the error of my ways...I wanna learn!!!

Also, LSD (Elsie) poked her little head through this morning but still has cap and dirt covering most of her. Will monitor and report.

Here are pics of Betsy Banner an Daisy-Doe

Betsy 5 days old.jpg

Dosido Sprout.jpg

Day 8 since planting seeds. Bruce banner popped 3 days ago and Dosido popped yesterday afternoon. GDP has sprouted 2 days ago but the cap never came off and I decapitated her this morning trying to help :oops:. I now I know not posed to do that...sorrryyyy.

Anyways, Replanted another GDP seed -I figured autos only a week apart should be ok??!!?? Please feel free to show me the error of my ways...I wanna learn!!!

Also, LSD (Elsie) poked her little head through this morning but still has cap and dirt covering most of her. Will monitor and report.

Here are pics of Betsy Banner an Daisy-Doe

Betsy 5 days old.jpg

Dosido Sprout.jpg
Heartbreaking, I’ve done it.
It’s hard , but now I don’t touch them.
A drop of water on a spent shell will loosen it letting her push it off naturally.
Just keep it wet, she will discard it.
The others look good :thumb:
Though I would mound the center for drainage and not leave so much empty space in the pots :Namaste:
The most valuable space in the room is wasted if you don’t fill your pots.
I have a ton of pictorials demonstrating proper practices.
In my Heavens Shore’s thread would be easiest.
Just 2 cents, not trying to give you a hard time :Namaste:
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Thanks Bill. I take your words of experience in the spirit in which they are offered my friend.

I definitely plan on trying to build up the soil around seedlings and fill in the empty space. I'm just a little gun shy about fussing too much right now with the seedlings after having decapitated one of them. I will let them gain some firm footing before getting too touchy feely around them.

My goal with this grow is to successfully germinate, veg, flower, harvest, dry and cure at least 2 out of the four girls.

If I can do all 4 then woo hoo, if I get a good yield then woo hoo, if I get big fat dense nugs then woo hoo. But if all I end up with is 2 oz of smokeable cannadeliciousness and a few learnt lessons, then WOOOO FRIGGIN HOOOOOO.

All I'm looking for this grow is to learn enough to do better for the next one. Not focused on doing everything right. Shit if all I learn is not to touch the girls when they have caps on and to fill my pots to the top and mound the center for run off...then this was a success.

Thanks for your input Bill, please feel free to leave notes whenever I post pics or updates. Your time and expertise are always welcomed and appreciated here sir!!

Not much change in the girls. Betsy Banner and Daisy-Doe are growing daily but Elsie (LSD) didn't seem to even try to shed her cap overnight. I misted her to try to keep her moist as per friend Bill284's advise but I fear she is not well. Will give her another day and replant.

I have managed to maintain the environment at 70-73 temp and 72 to 76% RH. I tried taking leaf temp today and am reading 4 degree higher temp on the leaf than in the room. Is this normal or are the leaves still too small to get an accurate reading?

Should I raise the lights or lower their intensity? As per the VPD chart, seedlings should be between .4 and .8 so I am striving for that range. If leaf temp is truly 74ish then RH needs to be at least 83% to stay under .8 (.79). Should I raise the Humidity? Any advise is welcome.

Not much change in the girls. Betsy Banner and Daisy-Doe are growing daily but Elsie (LSD) didn't seem to even try to shed her cap overnight. I misted her to try to keep her moist as per friend Bill284's advise but I fear she is not well. Will give her another day and replant.

I have managed to maintain the environment at 70-73 temp and 72 to 76% RH. I tried taking leaf temp today and am reading 4 degree higher temp on the leaf than in the room. Is this normal or are the leaves still too small to get an accurate reading?

Should I raise the lights or lower their intensity? As per the VPD chart, seedlings should be between .4 and .8 so I am striving for that range. If leaf temp is truly 74ish then RH needs to be at least 83% to stay under .8 (.79). Should I raise the Humidity? Any advise is welcome.
First relax.
Catch your breath.
Everything is ok.
Wow your getting yourself worked up.
Your temp and rh are fine.
You just need low wattage light to get them up and running.
Your biggest concern now is watering.
Given your pot size now and media in the pots :Namaste:
You will need to concentrate on your watering practice.
You can easily turn your light intensity up as you need it.
Don’t move it.
That’s just trouble waiting to happen.
The less your working over their heads less chance of something landing on them.
Turn the dial when we need to.
What do you know about watering a baby in a huge pot my friend?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Hey Bill. Wasn't feelin worked up when I wrote the post. If it reads that way wasn't intentional. Thanks for assist tho lol. If ever I am in crisis I will definitely reach out. For watering I am following Emilya Green's tutorial for watering. Thanks again brother.

Back
Top Bottom