Popping My Cherry - Colesdad's 1st Grow - Doing Hempy w/Autos For Medicinal Purposes

Re: Popping My Cherry - Colesdad's 1st Grow - Doing Hempy w/ Autos For Medicinal Purp

Yeah, but they're autos. So, hopefully I haven't messed them up too bad. But, it's my first grow so I'm not really that upset, there's always some bumps along the way

My first grow was a photoperiod that turned out to be male. I "bumped" the hell out of that plant and it just took it and thrived. Now, these autos i have make me nervous because of their reputation for being so difficult. I don't know...seems like it just randomly depends on what you get - some are really hearty and some will not grow right under any circumstances. (?)

I am toying with the idea of veging a free photo during one auto grow...

Your ladies look rough, but growing! Looking forward to updates!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Re: Popping My Cherry - Colesdad's 1st Grow - Doing Hempy w/ Autos For Medicinal Purp

Should I remove the crispy/dead parts of the leaf? Is the plant going to try to "heal itself" by putting more energy to the leaves that are yellowed, and if so, should I cut the yellowed part off?

I don't want to invite any problems by leaving any dead plant material around.

I just checked them and the new growth is a beautiful dark green, and if I sniff closely I can smell a wonderful sweet-plum scent from my NLBB#1! I've gone from being bummed out about their appearance, to now being super excited the lovely smell.

"sorry I look so terrible dad. Don't beat yourself up. Take a wiff, I smell delightful! ".... Love, NLBB#1.

post another pic of the leaf/s in question.....please :)

NM, I looked at the pics above. Definitely remove those leaves. You had it right. The plant will place it energy in healing itself, and could even kill itself doing so. Cut the whole leaf off and you should be ok.

I don't think the plant will attempt to heal old foliage. I have never seen cannabis plant repair a leaf but I could be way off base.

As far as I know the plant will consume the nutrients from the dieing leaf and it will eventually shrivel and fall off with little to no effort. I kept the topsoil of my auto grow free from debris or foliage that would touch it. That was about it

The color is unsightly and I understand the desire to want to chop off the ugly stuff to keep the plant looking pretty. To protect it. But, if you know the cause of the problem and have it corrected I'd simply continue to follow the plant's lead. If nothing is touching the ground, the dieing leaf is dry and disease free, simply keep an eye on it. Give it a gentle tug now and then to see if it is ready to come off. Don't force it.

That's what worked for me.

Good luck!
/Obi Wan
:peace:

Good morning!

I'm happy again.
First set of leaves =ugly/crusty.
Second set =yellowish.
New stuff =nice!

I've moved my led to about 28 inches, I want them to starts stretching now. I now have the fan blowing ON them instead of just moving air around the closet. I'm confident in the stem strength and feel like they can handle the "movement". What 'cha think?
1412773945500.jpg

My NLBB has the slender type leaves and Mango has the short fat ones. My thinking is that the Northern Lights are showing their Sativa dominant genes, and Mango Ryder is showing Indica dominant genes. Right?
1412773856452.jpg
1412773815522.jpg

And another quick photo. Just showing my RH and temps.
CAM004881.jpg

Any thoughts or comments? :riskybusiness:

your humidity is a bit low for this stage.

If the humidity is too low, then your cannabis plants are going to do a lot of transpiring and it will play havoc with their transportation systems. They will lose a lot of water and begin to exhibit the damage usually caused by dryness – stunted new leaves, shriveling old leaves and dying flowers.

Seedling stage you want 70%-80%
Veg stage you want 50%-80%
Flower stage will be 40%-50%

Get some humidity in there, try a bucket of water, maybe add a towel to the water. :)

My NLBB has the slender type leaves and Mango has the short fat ones. My thinking is that the Northern Lights are showing their Sativa dominant genes, and Mango Ryder is showing Indica dominant genes. Right?

Correct!

You want 70°-90° Fahrenheit and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flowering.

your humidity is a bit low for this stage.

Seedling stage you want 70%-80%
Veg stage you want 50%-80%
Flower stage will be 40%-50%

Get some humidity in there, try a bucket of water, maybe add a towel to the water. :)

:thanks:

Correct!

You want 70°-90° Fahrenheit and 50%-70% humidity for vegetative growth and 30%-50% humidity for flowering.
:thanks:

It's been 24hrs with wet towel and large bowl of water. The humidity got as high as 52 percent within 24 hours, but was back to 30 percent when iI just checked. the towel was completely dry, so adding that certainly helped.

Should I consider a humidifier? I'm a budget grower, but am willing to shell out $20 if it makes a noticeable difference in plant health and growth.

Ps. Had a bad seizure last night, the worse in about 2 years and a horrible headache for the following 30-some hours, the kind where you are willing to cut your arm off if it would make your head stop. You know it's bad when there is a bruise where your watch was. F*ck you brain tumor! But I just woke up, checked the ladies and they showed me some love with their wonderful fruity smell. Much needed therapy :green_heart:

OMG take care of yourself! Sorry to hear about the seizure. I sure hope you are doing better.

52% should work, Just keep an eye on them. :Namaste:

Just keep adding water and the towel. Or spend the $20 for the humidifier.

Sorry about the seizure. I had a bunch everyday, some severe some not. I started doing the oil, RSO and I have had one seizure in the past month. My epilepsy is from multiple strokes but seizures are bad no matter the reason. Check out my signature for a link to a great thread for the oil. Motoco is a knowledgeable and compassionate guy.
Good grow vibes there Colesdad!

WJ

It's been 24hrs with wet towel and large bowl of water. The humidity got as high as 52 percent within 24 hours, but was back to 30 percent when iI just checked. the towel was completely dry, so adding that certainly helped.

Should I consider a humidifier? I'm a budget grower, but am willing to shell out $20 if it makes a noticeable difference in plant health and growth.

Ps. Had a bad seizure last night, the worse in about 2 years and a horrible headache for the following 30-some hours, the kind where you are willing to cut your arm off if it would make your head stop. You know it's bad when there is a bruise where your watch was. F*ck you brain tumor! But I just woke up, checked the ladies and they showed me some love with their wonderful fruity smell. Much needed therapy :green_heart:

:straightface: Really Major Suckage about that seizure man - Sounds pretty rough, but I have no idea what that's like :straightface:

I have this neuralgia in my 9th cranial nerve, and while it comes with what they call debilitating pain, it is manageable with this expensive shitty pharmaceutical, so I cannot be completely ungrateful. But, like so many other medical conditions, cannabis is really a wonder (and IMHO preferable to some man made meds)

Hope you can take it easy and feel some relief brother - I don't know all the factors in your home or grow area... but it's a lot to ask using a towel all winter for humidity. Any other factors? Is your grow area near a heating duct? Or is it just your climate? Probably after a while you will learn a lot more than you ever dreamed about your own unique environment when it comes to Summer/Winter, watering, soil, other mediums, light height, different strains, nutrients - and also the Keep it Simple method LOL! :)

Looking forward to some green pics!

:Namaste:

OMG take care of yourself! Sorry to hear about the seizure. :Namaste:

Sorry about the seizure.

WJ

:straightface: Really Major Suckage about that seizure man - Sounds pretty rough, but I have no idea what that's like :straightface:
Hope you can take it easy and feel some relief brother

:Namaste:

Thanks for the love guys!

Update!
Are these pre-flowers? It would be bitter sweet. Yay for flowers. But I hate I have stunted my girls.
1412941982741.jpg

Will probably get some water today. Containers are very light and medium feels dry. I'm kinda regretting use cubes, I feel like they are staying too damp and maybe the roots are traveling down. I've got two seeds left, a NLBB and a delicious cheese, so next time I'm thinking of using more perlite and no cubes. Oh well, gotta learn some how!

It's been over a week since nutes. Should I nute when I water today? Should I start feeding them as preflowers or as if I'm feeding blooming flowers? Advice please :green_heart:

no preflowers yet that I can see... Just do a regular watering this time. Soon my friend you will see the pistils.

When I germinate seeds I use a matchbox lined with about 320 sandpaper to shake the seeds in for a minute, it scrapes the sides of the seeds to aid in moisture penetrating the seeds shell.

Pink_Parvat_Grow_Journal_08-01-2013_-_001.JPG

Pink_Parvat_Grow_Journal_08-01-2013_-_003.JPG

After having germination issue with Jiffy peat moss pucks and soil I switched to Rapid Rooters and have had much higher germination rates. Rapid Rooters seem to provide the seed with the perfect amount of air and moisture. I soak my seeds in pH adjusted water for 30-36 hours or until i see tap roots. I cut the Rapid Rooter mat into individual squares then I soak the Rapid Rooter squares in pH adjusted water for 15 minutes before use. Then I place the seeds tap root down into the Rapid Rooter square then place them underneath a light with 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness. I do not use a humidity dome. I hand water with a syringe each day to keep the Rapid Rooter square moist. when I see roots emerge from the Rapid Rooter square I transplant to 5" pots in a mixture of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

https://generalhydroponics.com Rapid Rooter

https://www.perfectgardens.com gh rapid rooter mat 98

I would purchase a cool mist humidifier with a large reservoir to humidify your grow area or the area where your intake air is from to simplify your daily labor.

When necessary I use a Honeywell cool mist humidifier to raise the humidity in my grow area. The Honeywell cool mist humidifier has a large reservoir reducing daily labor of refilling the water reservoir.

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_11-19-2013_-_011.JPG

Thanks for the love guys!

Update!
Are these pre-flowers? It would be bitter sweet. Yay for flowers. But I hate I have stunted my girls.
1412941982741.jpg

It's been over a week since nutes. Should I nute when I water today? Should I start feeding them as preflowers or as if I'm feeding blooming flowers? Advice please :green_heart:

Those are the nodes of your plants where branches can grow that produce tops and colas.

Here are male and female cannabis plants

Male_Female_Cannabis_Plants.jpg

Here is the female cannabis pre flower

The_Early_Female_Preflower.jpg

Back
Top Bottom