Purple Kush - Topping

ladylily

Any advice when to top Purple Kush and how much to take off. New strain and no idea how to take care of this one. Also humidity levels. Right now need one of you seasoned growers to help me. :thanks:

I haven't grown it, but topping is pretty much just taking the top growing shoot usually. You can chop back a couple of nodes when young if you're training them, but that isn't something I'd recommend without knowing your skills and grow. :) Right now in veg a as home grower unless your RH is just crazy off kilter, you shouldn't have to worry too much. Hope this helps you.

Any advice when to top Purple Kush and how much to take off. New strain and no idea how to take care of this one. Also humidity levels. Right now need one of you seasoned growers to help me. :thanks:

Yes mame :p. Purple's of all varieties is somewhat of my specialty. If your about to top purple kush I would start after the 3rd set of leaflets (depending on how much you want to top). How big are your ladie(s) by the way? You basically top them like you would any other plant. Find the main stock, go to the top find the internode or new branch growth and just below it, squeeze tightly with fingers and pluck the top off...

BUT, if you want to try something new and get a big producer try this... 3-4 weeks into flowering take a clone (even one with a flower on it) and put it back under a 18 hour light cycle so it can re-veg.. When it dose, and it will, just give it time (if you cloned one with a flower, it might take up to 3-4 weeks to rebound ((but it will ;) )). When it dose it will start shooting a TON of branch's (AKA Monster cropped). Then top those as well if you want even more lol,,, MAKE SURE you have a support system set up in place aka SCROG/yoyo's/netting of some sort/bamboo sticks, then hit her with 12/12 and watch your one plant yield up to 2.5 lbs wet. (depending on certain variations of course) Since I love the purple strains this is how i grow them. I yield some pretty big numbers in my purple gardens by doing this without continuously topping and wasting time in veg growth.. I find it quick and yield WAY more then your typical topping or two, in a shorter period of time. ;) :Namaste:

Hold smokes that sounds amazing but now sure if I have the experience with a kush to try it - but hey ho you live and learn. Thanks for help - how about humidity for them?

I have a Purple Kush just finishing up. I ran it 12/12 from seed. I reccomend topping a bunch of times before flowering and some pruning. I grew mine "natural" and it is beautiful. I know I could have gotten more out of her with some effort. She comes down tomorrow. It's in the last few pages of my journal.

image34829.jpg

When your kush starts to flower how long are they going before you are ready to take the crop down?

Generally 8-10 weeks depending on the genetics. But you will be safe regardless if you harvest on the 8th week.. Here's a pic of my purple kush and purple urkel hybrids I created.. This is them on their 8th week..

megrow31.jpg

I let them go one more week before I harvested to let all the trichomes go amberish. But it's totally ok in most cases to harvest on the 8th week with purple kush ;) :Namaste:

Mine flowered in right at 8 weeks after showing preflowers around 4 weeks. They finished in 7 but I gave them one extra just because. They should be sample ready in about 2 weeks.

I didn't check trichomes because I'm lazy. She was done growing at 6 weeks, done swelling at 7 weeks, and pistils were all dark. It was rather refreshing after chasing some to 13 weeks in a previous grow.

I hope she gives you beautiful purple. My temps were 73/85 and both still were amazingly dark. like I said after looking back, a bit of topping and training would have gone a long way. I can't complain though, should be just under an ounce each after harvesting in less than 90 days.

Good luck!

Yeah.. Pretty easy to tell in your picture you have put much effort into yours. Six oz is great! Well, at least until the peeps that pull pounds off a plant chime in. Not a lot of color in those though. Maybe the different genetics is why you pulled more? If not, what did you do wrong with yours?

Sounds like there wasn't much care or technique put into her if you only got under a ounce.. I had an average of 6 ounces dried per plant.
Oh I don't know, so much has to be taken into account as to yield. For example the amount of light used. Not everyone can afford the same amount of light. To say that someone did not care for or their technique is lacking with out knowing all the pertinent facts sounds a bit harsh in my humble opinion. Well either harsh or egotistical.

Back
Top Bottom