Purple stems?

Spitz

I've got 2 plants (Purple Haze and Maui Waui) in CycoCoco. It's just straight coco with no added biologicals. I'm feeding AN Sensi Bloom basic line. I'm feeding as per there schedule and just a few days into 12/12. Both plants look fabulous. The Maui does have some red stems. The PHaze shows no sign of this. What causes this? The plants are fed at 5.8 (for anybody curious.. The PH perfect isn't "perfect". Plants are fed to pretty good runoff once per day.

Light is a xml650 from ALED
Temps 84 high and 60 low (yeah, not perfect but I'm not going to fight it)
Plants vegged for 5 weeks under cfl.
RH 30-40
3 G pots

Thoughts??

I believe it is strain related, got and Exodus Cheese in the cabinet along with a White Rhino and the Cheese has had red stems the entire grow.

20151220_185944.jpg

I'm growing unknown strains and they have red stems. I'm in peat based medium with temps 80f day and 65f night. I've also had some that have started out with red stems and then gone to green. I was thinking night temps are keeping the medium too cold, same with your res water. Idk, just guessing.

My temp in my cabinet, this time of yr run 75 during the day/light on and can get down to 65 during the night/lights off. I am wondering if that could also be causing my red stems? Something to think about.

Good question. I mix a 5G bucket every 3-4 days and just leave it in the room where my tent is (60-70F). I've thought about adding an airstone but am too lazy. Curious if anyone has input on your question. I would think room temp would suffice though.

Here is a shot of the plant in question (Maui Waui on the left and Purple Haze on the right). One detail I forgot to add... These were regular seeds that spent their first month under 12/12 to show sex being topped often and fed veg nutrients. They then moved to 24hr/day for 2 weeks over the holidays. They've had a tough childhood! Lol

image35770.jpg

Here is the plant in question. It is more prevalent than the photos show...

image35771.jpg

Thanks for looking!

are they sitting on concrete? I'm still leaning towards the medium temps being low. I should get a temp probe and see what mine is. Being it's winter i can't maintain the same "room" temperature as spring or summer temps. So my water is colder, medium is colder, and so maybe the purple is caused by temps? and not strain related. Have you seen purple stems in summer time grows?

They aren't on concrete.. They are on the 3rd floor. I have seen purple stems in my soil grows (and every deficiency from A to Z). I only grew 1 plant in coco before and it crushed the yield, plant health, and bud quality of the other 8 plants I grew. That's why I'm trying coco again. I'm not religious adjusting PH, but every mix goes to 5.6 and usuall gets to 6 before I adjust in a few days. I've got a Wild Thai and Panama (looks rough) seedlings in soil. I think the purplish stems are getting greener. Tough to tell, this thing is growing like a weed right now. Lol.

i just don't see 60 at lights out being "cold". With 80 for day temps, the root zone should probably drift from 68-72. I'll post another pick in a day or 2. I may even start another journal. Thanks for the conversation.

Spitz Tries Purple Haze - Maui Waui - Panama & Wild Thai Under XML 650

Gonna run a journal if you care to follow..

in Coco does your nutes need to be a certain water temp before you feed?

For hydro the lower the water temps the better. Water temps above 75 and risk of stuff growing in resevoir and oxygen levels dropping. Ideal is to add a water chiller if your resevoir temps are above 70

For hydro the lower the water temps the better. Water temps above 75 and risk of stuff growing in reservoir and oxygen levels dropping. Ideal is to add a water chiller if your resevoir temps are above 70

Been looking for a cheap chiller with no success, have even looking at getting the internals of a water fountain to make a chiller.
I tried full hydro a few yrs ago, what a mess that was, this was during my early grow yrs and I depended on a hydro shop guy for info. He sold me organic nutes for my hydro, I got a slim on my roots that totally choked the plants. OG Kush, GDP, and two others that I don't remember the name of now. Lost them all, but would like to try again if I can do some form of chilling.
I was thinking a water cooler chiller because you can adjust the water temp via the thermostat.

GR

Fyi... Just a little update. I've given PH a little more diligence and lowered it some. I had been watering/feeding at 5.8-6.2 (after my 5g bucket drift in 4-5 days). I started adjusting PH to 5.4 and drift brings it from 5.4 to 5.9. The purple is about gone.

image35860.jpg

Back
Top Bottom