Question about nanner harvested buds

Aweedtec

My question is.....do people throw plants away with nanners on them even if the nanners show up within a week or so of harvest?

And the even bigger question.....

Once harvested can pollen come off those buds and pollinate a plant you start growing months after the plant with the nanners is harvested? Basically can smoking those buds in your same house you are growing plants cause your plants to become polinated and only produce seeds?

My question is.....do people throw plants away with nanners on them even if the nanners show up within a week or so of harvest?

Once harvested can pollen come off those buds and pollinate a plant you start growing months after the plant with the nanners is harvested? Basically can smoking those buds in your same house you are growing plants cause your plants to become polinated and only produce seeds?
No, no, and no
Roll another one and think on Brother
:hookah:

I'm going to answer this one differently than @Roy Growin and say  yes, pollen from these plants can fertilize others you grow in the same space later. But not from smoking it. Rather, the pollen grains are so fine they can travel on the wind for miles and can settle in tiny nooks and crannies.

A pistil/stigma from a later plant brushing up against it can lead to pollination. But, pollen is killed with water so, after you harvest, wash everything down well and you should be safe.

Any flowers or even seeds produced on the final few weeks won't be mature enough to produce viable seeds. If you do find seeds just pluck them out gently. The buds are still fine, just not quite as fine as they would be if the flower hadn't gotten pollinated since the plant will spend resources on protecting and trying to ripen the seeds that did produced.

I'm going to answer this one differently than @Roy Growin and say  yes, pollen from these plants can fertilize others you grow in the same space later.
I was reading @Roy Growin's reply more along the lines that 'No, once the plant has been harvested it will no longer continue to release pollen' into the area after drying. Maybe for the first few days but as the plant or male flowers start to dry they will stop producing mature pollen. At least that is the way I was reading his reply to the question.

Any pollen already released that might still be in the tent or room, maybe stuck to the walls, can still end up blowing around and landing on a female flower and pollinating it. I do not think that a harvested plant will continue to have pollen maturing and being released days, weeks or months later.

I'm going to answer this one differently than @Roy Growin and say  yes, pollen from these plants can fertilize others you grow in the same space later. But not from smoking it. Rather, the pollen grains are so fine they can travel on the wind for miles and can settle in tiny nooks and crannies.

A pistil/stigma from a later plant brushing up against it can lead to pollination. But, pollen is killed with water so, after you harvest, wash everything down well and you should be safe.

Any flowers or even seeds produced on the final few weeks won't be mature enough to produce viable seeds. If you do find seeds just pluck them out gently. The buds are still fine, just not quite as fine as they would be if the flower hadn't gotten pollinated since the plant will spend resources on protecting and trying to ripen the seeds that did produced.
Well I didn't think the smoke would cause the pollination. The entire paragraph is asking the same question but trying to make it more understandable what I was saying It got bold typed and turned into two questions.

I was just trying to clarify by giving an example of sitting there busting up buds to smoke and those nanners having pollen in them and it getting in the air and pollinating a plant that's in bud like 3 months after you harvested the buds or longer. Because so far I have done back to back grows. So I wonder if I harvest this plant with nanners all over it will the pollen stay active in those buds. And of course what are the odds that those buds...while busting them up... can pollenate a new grow.

Please don't anybody take it like I'm correcting anyone. I'm correcting myself for the horrible way I worded that paragraph that it did appear to be two different questions when split up into two.

So my concern is valid it seems.

Good question, but again, unless your seeing actual male flowers that have partially opened, generally the little yellow nanners aren't pollen producing. I suppose the pollen would be viable, if they were fertile male flowers, and at that point, the grower should have noticed beforehand. The bud I would assume would be fully seeded, on top of having male flowers. I wouldn't risk it. For the record, I don't consider the little yellow "manners to be intersex. When you get one, you'll know. Lol

Good question, but again, unless your seeing actual male flowers that have partially opened, generally the little yellow nanners aren't pollen producing. I suppose the pollen would be viable, if they were fertile male flowers, and at that point, the grower should have noticed beforehand. The bud I would assume would be fully seeded, on top of having male flowers. I wouldn't risk it. For the record, I don't consider the little yellow "manners to be intersex. When you get one, you'll know. Lol
Well I did have pistachio auto and blueberry pancakes growing next to each other and the plants I'm growing now are without a doubt a mix because it came from the pistachio plant but it smells way more like blueberry pancakes and turned purple like bbp did. So the pistachio got fertilized by the Bbpancakes.

I think the last time I grew I stressed one of the plants badly and I guessed that it pollinated the auto. I guessed right.

lots of folk will take them to harvest. some toss it.

Once harvested can pollen come off those buds and pollinate a plant you start growing months after the plant with the nanners is harvested?

definitely. especially if you handle the harvested bud then work on your plants.

Basically can smoking those buds in your same house you are growing plants cause your plants to become polinated and only produce seeds?

often rare but for sure happens. usually there is more than just the pollen in the harvested bud hanging about.

No, no, and no

can't agree with that.
one of my friends went so far down the hermie hole he had to shut his entire grow and cull all his plants to clear the pollen from his place.
it's easier to control if you are just a hobby grower. it can completely screw larger ones for months to years.

I think the last time I grew I stressed one of the plants badly and I guessed that it pollinated the auto. I guessed right.

it doesn't take much to clear the pollen from your grow. even a good cleaning with water will do it. it's so fine it can work into crevices and get held by carpet, but it's not hard to clear with a little work.

Good question, but again, unless your seeing actual male flowers that have partially opened, generally the little yellow nanners aren't pollen producing.

often the worst ones are hidden inside the buds and open there. the visible ones can account for as little 70%. you can realistically count on 5 -10% to be hidden.

can't agree with that.
one of my friends went so far down the hermie hole he had to shut his entire grow and cull all his plants to clear the pollen from his place.

it's easier to control if you are just a hobby grower. it can completely screw larger ones for months to years.
I thought pollen is only viable for a few days before it dries or absorbs damp @bluter?

I thought pollen is only viable for a few days before it dries or absorbs damp @bluter?

you can keep pollen for yrs under the right conditions, that's not the central reason though. it's more because they were running a rather large constant grow. there were always some plants susceptible and getting affected. everything had to be cleared out, and they lost few mother plants.

I've saved pollen from a hermie before, just to insure I got feminized seeds, I just put some seeds that I mixed back from 2017 in water they might pop, hopefully

IMG_20240417_131738264.jpg

IMG_20240417_131550476.jpg

I've saved pollen from a hermie before, just to insure I got feminized seeds,

it doesn't work that way.
will watch to see how many hermie. if you want stable female seeds sts or cs are the only proven methods.

Well I didn't think the smoke would cause the pollination. The entire paragraph is asking the same question but trying to make it more understandable what I was saying It got bold typed and turned into two questions.

I was just trying to clarify by giving an example of sitting there busting up buds to smoke and those nanners having pollen in them and it getting in the air and pollinating a plant that's in bud like 3 months after you harvested the buds or longer. Because so far I have done back to back grows. So I wonder if I harvest this plant with nanners all over it will the pollen stay active in those buds. And of course what are the odds that those buds...while busting them up... can pollenate a new grow.

Please don't anybody take it like I'm correcting anyone. I'm correcting myself for the horrible way I worded that paragraph that it did appear to be two different questions when split up into two.

So my concern is valid it seems.
The pollen doesn't normally remain viable for more than a couple weeks unless the conditions are perfect (very cold and dry). If you're worried, spray the tent down after harvest with a light chlorox solution. A dried bud with nanners is very unlikely to have viable pollen after cure.

Back
Top Bottom