Radogast 2 - Return of the Clones

I "liked" it because it's a good picture of bugs. I didn't want to "like" the fact that bugs had found their way into your grow space.

I pulled out a caramelicious and looked at it under CFL - trichomes are clear, smell is nice, 7 weeks in flower, more weeks to go:)

I have spider mites. 'Baby powder' on every plant in the garden room EXCEPT the White Widow clones. NO MITES in the flower room. Only thick on the Snowcap and Girl Scout Cookie clones from an outside grower. These have moving mites under the leaves and stationary things that are probably eggs. Most of the other garden room plants have less than 3 sq inch of affected areas.

I ordered up 32 oz of SNS 217 from 420 Magazine Sponsor Sierra Natural Science SNS-217™ Spider Mite Control, 32 oz RTU – Sierra Natural Science

Until the spider mites are gone - Garden room one day, flower room on alternate days - no walking back and forth.

I also posted a Rosemary Plant to guard the flower room door :)

20150630_211423-1.jpg

I had really good success with homemade remedies. I did use some 217, but it was gifted to me from the great Light Addict.

Anyway,

I made some rosemary oil and started with I think it was 1 part oil to 4 parts water, I
ll have to go back and look in my old journal.

Then I would alternated with a mixture of cilantro and habanero peppers. Sprayed the shit out of the room with that stuff. It'll make you cough so you know the little bugs will hate it.

I always add a couple of drops of Dr. Bronners as a surfactant. After getting lucky with russet mites a couple of times now, I can tell you it's a good thing they are just spider mites :)

Don't worry Rad, we'll get em!

Oh, you should definitely spray your flower room too, that way they don't all move in there when you chase them out of the veg room.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

I would maybe steep a little neem cake in there too!

You want a diverse arsenal to deploy. They get hip to things pretty quickly so you gotta keep them on their toes.

Now, I'll try and track down my recipes for you

Here is a link that CO posted on my page when I was battling the Borg.

organic pest control solutions - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

And I found where I discussed my rosemary oil, but I didn't actually make a recipe. I just grabbed a bunch of rosemary, covered it in oil, I can't remember what kind of oil I used, but I also dropped a couple of cinnamon sticks in there as well because they don't like that either.

Then I made the cilantro recipe from CO's blog, but I added 8 or 9 chopped habaneros, seeds and all to the cilantro water and let it rip. That stuff was awesome!

Arrgghh mites! :O

But I'm sure you'll beat them back soon. Is this your first real brush with those nasties in your cannabis? Ugh, a giant tomato I grew has a real mite infestation on it now too. I'm making a homemade ghost pepper spray for it (luckily we have smoked ghost peppers laying around).. I'll probably add a little garlic and ginger and maybe a couple sprigs rosemary and thyme, and some spearmint, bring it to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, blend, strain, spray. I have the BAS essential oils but, those are for my cannabis plants haha, sorry tomatoes.

I loved your link Sweetleef. Thank you for that.

Giselle is looking Awesome! And looks like you were right about Hani! Just the way that first pic looked the other day screamed mutant/hermie at me, I'm revegging too much lately. :Namaste:

P.S. Awesome trich shots! :circle-of-love:

And I found where I discussed my rosemary oil, but I didn't actually make a recipe. I just grabbed a bunch of rosemary, covered it in oil, I can't remember what kind of oil I used, but I also dropped a couple of cinnamon sticks in there as well because they don't like that either.

Then I made the cilantro recipe from CO's blog, but I added 8 or 9 chopped habaneros, seeds and all to the cilantro water and let it rip. That stuff was awesome!

:rofl: SweetLeef, that's like a toxic mite bomb recipe. :laughtwo:

The firt two infected clones Iset outside were probably infected for at least 10 days.
Now that I know the baby powder on leaves look, I can remember it starting.

Predatory bugs have eaten the one plant 99% clean of mites and eggs.
The other one set outside was 66% clean with a spider running around on the leaves.

If the SNS 217 doesn't arrive tomorrow (mail holiday?), I have some rosemary oil (old) and neem oil (new) to try out on the leaves.

I am alternating days between the garden veg room and the flower room to reduce the chance of cross-polination,

Here is 6? day infected snocap 'Snow Queen' (c0)

20150702_195054.jpg

Leaf detail with a couple of tan mites

20150702_195141.jpg

Baby powder infestation 2 days old on White Widow 'Bellatrix' (c2)

20150702_195212.jpg
:love:

I'd have given you eps - nut I just handed you some onyour thread :)

Thanks.. as in really thanks a lot.

I got my delivery of SNS217 from Sierra Natural Sciences, a 420 Magazine sponsor.

SNS217 is basically Rosemary Oil diluted to 2% solution with solvents/surfactants/whatever to keep the oil mixed (shake anyway.)
I think most of the SNS pesticides are some blend of rosemary, clove and similar oils in suspension.

It sprayed nice and fast.
Because I have no allergies to Rosemary, I didn't worry about overspray and the spray job went very fast.

SNS217 to kill spider mites

20150703_211014-1.jpg

YES! TAKE THAT! Hope it works quickly Rad. :love:

I posted some of this on SweetSue's main thread, but I thought it might be of interest in case one of you might follow this grow and not SweetSue's grow :)

Although I didn't really plan it, with such a slow and uneven start, this grow became a perpetual grow.

When I got my SNS217, the folks from Sierra Natural Science included an 80-page magazine which is two parts: a 20 page guide to the equipment they sell, and a 60 page guide "The Grow Book: How it all Works by WingTech." The Grow Book is a fine book, although their LED information (2011) is outdated.

The Grow Book had an excellent 3 pages on light rotation - perpetual grows.

I have thought about the flow of plants, and settled into what might be termed a 4-light perpetual rotation: Early Veg SWICK (T5), Late Veg SWICK (T5), 2-light flower room (HPS)

The simplest perpetual rotation is a 2-light: veg for 60 days, flower for 60 days/veg new for 60 days, flower for 60 days/veg new for 60 days. Repeat.
Harvest every 60 days, 120 days each

If you like to grow faster, 3-light: Veg 30 days, flower 1 60 days, flower 2 60 days - veg goes into alternate light (flower 1 or flower 2) every 30 days
Harvest every 30 days, 90 days each

I personally grow with a 4-light: Early Veg 30 days, Late Veg 30 days, flower 1 60 days, flower 2 60 days - Late Veg goes into alternate sides of the flower room every 30 days
Harvest every 30 days, 120 days each

(Except I flower for 70 days. so... Harvest every 35 days, 140 days each - At least that's the general plan !)

Add Cloning area, worm bin, storage for pots, soil, water, nutrients, and chemicals; that's my grow area.

The only problem with this plan, is that I am limitted to the number of genetically plants (and their clones) that can fit in my flower room - around 8.
If I add a new seed, or clone the same plant twice, I have to take a plant out of the rotation.

I am delaying selecting my final 7-8 somewhat by keeping clones alive and root bound in the Early Veg pots.
Once I see sex on the 3 in Flower, I'll have to make choices.

Sigh.

I'm also 1 pot short to have 4 each pots in Late Veg, Flower 1, Flower 2. That's a problem in my execution, not the rotation plan :)

I'd like to be able to get three big pots on my tent floor for blooming. It's getting the balance of lighting. Running a tent is a lot more challenging than running two autos in an open closet. So many variables to consider.

I've got one big LED in veg(marsII 1200) and 3 lights in flower(2 marsII 1600's and a 700)

My perpetual schedule is not rolling yet, but when it does I'm looking at 90-120 days of veg give or take 60days:) I want to get three clones of "insert genetics here", (boy that sounded dirty:)) after 60-90 days move them into flower, a month later move in the next three. and so on. I want to harvest three plants a month, but allow them 1-2x the veg time. I want monsters :)

I've got one big LED in veg(marsII 1200) and 3 lights in flower(2 marsII 1600's and a 700)

My perpetual schedule is not rolling yet, but when it does I'm looking at 90-120 days of veg give or take 60days:) I want to get three clones of "insert genetics here", (boy that sounded dirty:)) after 60-90 days move them into flower, a month later move in the next three. and so on. I want to harvest three plants a month, but allow them 1-2x the veg time. I want monsters :)

So you will take a clone of a clone in veg every time you harvest from flower... and since you veg longer than flower, you have time to take more veg clones if clones don't take. That sounds like an excellent rotation plan.

While you have a max of 6 genetics in flower, but you might be able to keep up to 9 genetics in veg without actual mother plants. You could keep MORE than 9 genetics going if you clone and chop instead of going in to flower :)

Back
Top Bottom