Ready to quit growing due to low quality & smell

I've tried a few different strains over the years, most from a big name seedbank overseas, but I did start my return to growing after a while with bagseed bc that's all that sprouted after I'd tried about 100 seeds. I'm back to the seedbank, and I really like how the buds look now, but do I need to keep trying different ones over and over to find quality? Is it very rare to find something nice?

My last dry was with these same 2 genetics I'm flowering now, but just a couple plants. They've dried hung in the room at about 75f and 65%, in a shady closet for about 8 days before 2-3 weeks in boveda buckets. I ordered turkey bags to further reduce the air, and make the boveda more efficient, but they haven't come yet. The buds have a kinda perfumey smell when ground up, but not a danky weed smell, and what is there is still fairly light. If it sits out for 20 min after grinding, that smell is gone. When you smoke it, there's a light hi, but it fades quickly, and the smoke is more smooth than anything- no flavors like sour or melon or the cheese that I'd expect from cheeselicious, just smooth but flavorless

Do your buds go into the dry or into the cure smelling, or only after curing? From what I read, they should smell all during flower, stink to high heaven when trimming, stink up the whole place during dry, and still smell themselves, develop new and deeper smells during the cure, changing to sweeter as they age. Mine start off with no smell to begin with, before, during and after chopping/trimming, drying, curing. The whole process is marked by bland flavors and smells, regardless of the look of the bud. If it looked like crap, I'd think bad genetics, but everything is great but the smell/taste and effect. Kinda important things tho LOL

Sounds interesting. I've tried water curing, I love experimenting with cannabis. I'm sure I can put 30g aside to try this my next chop, but my fridge can be crazy at times. It likes to randomly freeze everything once in a while
Grow a Og! You want gass! Ogkz from humbolt seed organization! Purple moby dick that I have don’t even smell like weed at all! Smells like a yankee candle! Like Macintosh apples! I was smelling them all at the store the other day. Lol try those bro. Good luck. Ohh and try a product called sugaree. 30 mls close to harvest.

If those are your buds in those pictures and you can’t smell them, you need to get your nose checked. There’s no way those don’t stink. I’m guessing you’re running a good filter and that’s taking care of the smell during the grow. On your next chop, do your trimming and leave your house for an hour or so. You should know if it smells when you return. If I trim outside of my grow room without the fan/filter, my entire house will reak.
I was thinking the same thing! How old are you? Lol. Do you smoke cigarettes? Any Tobbaco? We got to figure this out. I feel like shaggy from scooby doo! We got to find the monster who stole the dank and return it to the owner! Lol. I have faith! You wanna try my hippie hash? It will stink I bet!

I’m relatively new to growing, but like the OP, did my research before jumping in. I have to this point only grown seedsman genetics, however that will change next run, as I’m going with exotic or HSO, with the beans waiting patiently. And my bud stinks to high heaven. I’ve had someone say they could smell it when it was in my pocket in a ziplock bag and we were riding a side by side together in the woods. I thought that was pretty impressive. And my bud doesn’t look any better than the OP’s pictures. I also don’t have much noticeable smell during the grow because the room is getting exhausted through a good carbon filter and out the house. I’m completely convinced it’s either lack of cure or the ole sniffer has gone blind. Possibly genetics, but I’d think the pictures would reflect bad genetics.

Maybe you got the corona. Just kidding sorta. I lost my sense of smell for a month from covid.

I agree we get used to the dank smells and it don’t notice it after awhile.
Get some good genetics at a good price and do a selection run. Don’t start to think you need to spend 150-200 on seeds. That’s the hype game.

I grow in a hot tent with soil and megacrop and get great smelling herb. No co2 or supplements. Not every plant will be dank that’s for sure. Last seed run I only had one standout in the odor department.

A few months ago I took a bag to work for a coworker(My mngr actually) and the owner smelled it on me and said “You smell like skunk flower!“ and I said“ I’m sorry, I can’t help it, it sticks to my clothes!” And he started laughing and gave me a bottle of axe spray. Lol... yeah I was working at a smokeshop with my buddy. The owner is an Arab American and his son is my good friend. Dude love to yell at me, it so funny. One day I got super jacked up and lost a day and I rushed into work( on my day of) and didn’t need to be there! My boss told me that the day before I called him and told him I was sick and can come in. I had no recollection of calling off work. Lol. and my dude My dude had a huge black eye! I guess I blasted him? Idk he musta scared me or something. It looks like he was in a car wreck! I felt so bad. I wonder what did that to me. I put a two foot hole In A wall in the bathroom, no idea? Crazy

I appreciate all the support and suggestions. When I was growing real crap, from not giving it enough attention to actually dial in the environment, I thought that if I could get it to look good; stay green, have dense, well formed buds, that the quality smoke would come on it's back. It's hard to believe that such beautiful plants could just be duds, losers. Well, idk, and no one else seems to be able to tell from the pics, so I've gotta start somewhere. The only problem with blaming it on genetics is, it seems very hard to be certain you have good genetics until you've grown them out to harvest, and there's a lot of room for them to get screwed up along the way that might have nothing to do with the seeds, but the grower. Generally, everyone I ask says that under- or over-watering would cause other signs before just wiping out the smell and potency of otherwise great looking plants, and nutes aren't a huge issue, if you're using a good ph/ppm, so the only thing it could be is genetics, but even that is grudgingly accepted, not proclaimed as a sure thing. One guy did say he had the same issue before he pheno-hunted.
Anyways, I've got the clones from my buddy, and I got a $50 pack of 10 reg seeds from another grow store. The guy there and a couple customers were all in my little help session, and say these are great seeds. So I got a 10-pack of some that have a bit of do-si-dos in them, which was something I really liked smoking. I'm gonna pop all of them, along with 4 freebies, check for males, and send all the girls to flower after taking a clones from each. In the meantime, I'll be cloning the plants that my buddy swears by, and those will be in the same run. Hopefully something will be impressive.
My buddy also said to ideally ditch the LEDs for HPS, like @Noone32 said, but I just spent close to $2000 on these lights a year ago, after researching which ones were good. These have the same par value as the HPS, as far as my research showed, so what's so much better about HPS that it's worth tossing my current lights, and adding more heat to my grow, that then has to be dealt with? I still have a 600w HPS that I use to veg (I have to keep it at 75% dim, or it pops the fuse), but I really like how the mars hydro right next to it has performed all summer. What is the negative about LED? My reading says the main difference is HID spreads wider, while LED penetrates deeper, but that full-spectrum LEDs have just as good quality of light, and even starting to get extra boosts from ir, uv, etc.
As far as the watering, I think I went into pretty good detail of my watering technique in post #34 of this thread, in case you missed it. I used to be active in the Megacrop thread with Emilya. I've read Emilya's post, and others, and use them as a base for my watering regimen, but I seriously doubt many growers follow it to the letter, and most commercial facilities use automated systems that are unable to imitate this watering style, so while ideal under certain or maybe most conditions, I can't believe that a slight deviation could cause drastic effects. I'm looking to upgrade to a drip system once I can get a successful run, so what then?
At this point, after all the people I've asked, and all the feedback, I feel like it has to be the seeds. My bud is a big way off from what it should smell like, and it has to be a big mistake or a lot of little ones to make such an effect. Since not many and not very drastic changes are suggested in most cases, I think the only big thing to change is the foundation of it all, the seeds. I'll keep trying with the wetter and dryer watering, but I'm not expecting much to change until I get some new plants in there. I do have a few new strains going into the next run, in a couple weeks, but they were all bought from the same seedbank, and I only popped one seed of each, so I'm not counting on anything great.

Just FYI, LED technology today far, far surpasses what HID lights are capable of. That wider spread issue is no longer true with quantum boards available. Now a days, HID doesn’t hold a candle to LED. It’s pretty obsolete to be honest....albeit cheaper

I suggest you experiment for yourself and see what you like. I’m reallY digging flowering under a mix of cmh and hps with led side lighting. Really nice buds!
820F436A-DC37-4DF1-86A1-36A0B816F664.jpeg
756A44A8-8025-4E51-B71A-77456DE6BAFA.jpeg

Since you already have quality LED, I’d stick with that. If you were running blurples, then HID would be an upgrade. If it’s UV you’re after, get UV fluorescent tubes. They perform better than LED UV diodes anyhow.

Yeah bro, leds are cool, if you want to buy Me ten of them to fill a room at 1600$ A piece, I will be a happy camper! Until I hit the lotto or start cracking heads, ima b a “mixed spectrum “ guy. I grew some great bud with led. The amount of light I can get for 200 bucks(hid) will cover 5x5. LEDs would be at least?? What 600-1400$ for just 1 5x5.
But how much added power are you paying for/how much added cooling or exhausting Are you having to run? How often do you need new bulbs? Bottom line is LEDs are easier on your wallet via efficiency.. you might pay 600 bucks to light a 5x5, but that’ll last you 10 years of growing at 60% of the power cost.

What do you think about the uv for reptiles? I know there is like 10. Lol. What type of tube do you recommend. Thanks. Lol. My burpee is sad! The blues are burnt out. It’s gotta go. I’m going to tinker with it and some other led strips. I think I had maybe to much light this run. My plants didn’t stretch during flip. Well much. Lol I got some big ass bud clusters, on the end of little sticks!

But how much added power are you paying for/how much added cooling or exhausting Are you having to run? How often do you need new bulbs? Bottom line is LEDs are easier on your wallet via efficiency.. you might pay 600 bucks to light a 5x5, but that’ll last you 10 years of growing at 60% of the power cost.
The only extra power would be to a duct fan that pulls hps exhaust to the ducting That connects To carbon filter. With all the leds I would probably run an air conditioner. Those get hot also. I’m not digging LEDs bro. I’m actually thinking about getting a timber redwood. I like qbs but I need more light penetration! I hate making screens for canopy’s. Even tho they are so pretty, it’s a pain. I just been growing little beastly stocky girls, recently. I told you guys a while ago that if it stretches to much, I’m tying the plant in knots. Lol. Well it happened. I will take a picture when I get home.

The only extra power would be to a duct fan that pulls hps exhaust to the ducting That connects To carbon filter. With all the leds I would probably run an air conditioner. Those get hot also. I’m not digging LEDs bro. I’m actually thinking about getting a timber redwood. I like qbs but I need more light penetration! I hate making screens for canopy’s. Even tho they are so pretty, it’s a pain. I just been growing little beastly stocky girls, recently. I told you guys a while ago that if it stretches to much, I’m tying the plant in knots. Lol. Well it happened. I will take a picture when I get home.
The extra fan is power draw in addition to the 40% more power that HID lights require. It’s true that LEDs heat up somewhat, but you can mount the driver outside the grow space.. then the heat produced is pretty minimal.

I personally would advise against cobs unless you hve a ton of headroom. They’re too much like laserbeams, roasting anything that gets too close. An equal amount of quantum’s gives you just as much power but a lot more wiggle room as far as plant height.
(I’m currently switching from cobs to a quantum board btw)

Back
Top Bottom