Root Zone consistency

Oliann

I run germinating mats with a temp probe under my pots and keep the bottom temps at 20.5C consistantly.

Growing in Canadian basement and hypothesized slow growth due to low temps. .....

This has made such a positive impact for me. Visually, plant growth increased. I speculate microbial life also bloomed. Water consumption in my pots increased. Full saturation to appropriate dry back became much quicker.

20220228_171539.jpg

you can grow in harsher conditions if you keep the root zone warm. if it gets too warm a lot of trouble can arise though.

another thing you can do is use a pallet or other structure to lift the plants off the floor. the concrete will pull heat out of the pots if they sit directly on it. you can also put styrofoam insulation on the floor of your grow space.

good job.

I recently relocated and moved to a basement grow site. I raised my entire floor off the concrete and saw a dramatic increase in growth. The floor leached the heat out of the pots. What sort of weight are you putting on the seedling mats? It doesn't cause a problem, they can support the weight?

No issue at all. Temp probe keeps them at 21C. They don't run very much but have kept my temps perfect at night especially. Microbes seem to love the temp as well. Everything really stepped up once I kept the root zone consistant.

I have my tent on some rigid foam insulation. I like how you built a frame to raise up your tent. Smart.

I just figure, outside, with such a large mass the ground doesn't rapidly change temperatures as the night cools off. Where in a grow tent, that potted soil will gain and lose heat mu h quicker. Rather than letting it fluctuate, I've tried to stabilize.

I grow in a cast iron bath tub which will suck heat from a pot as fast as concrete.
I use pot elevators to get 2" airspace between the pot and tub.
I keep my air temp around 77-81⁰ lights on and no lower than 70⁰ lights off in veg and I make sure my water is 72⁰ before using it.
This keeps my soil temp in the pots between 70-72⁰
This is good for the roots and the microbes.

i use shelving units to create a false floor and raise the plants. in my veg room i run a space heater under the plants.

I grow in a cast iron bath tub which will suck heat from a pot as fast as concrete.
I use pot elevators to get 2" airspace between the pot and tub.
I keep my air temp around 77-81⁰ lights on and no lower than 70⁰ lights off in veg and I make sure my water is 72⁰ before using it.
This keeps my soil temp in the pots between 70-72⁰
This is good for the roots and the microbes.
Sounds great!

All about that consistency. Yes, I've probably over thunk it...but hear me out.

Outdoors, the ground holds its heat. Even as the cooler nights start, the ground doesn't lose its heat as quickly as the ambient air. In a tent, in a pot, that medium quickly changes temperatures.

I'm aiming to keep those root zone temperatures consistant and as I drop my temps right now, in the last couple weeks, the medium will hold its temps. I do slowly drop the soil temps, but when I let my tent go to 16C or 17C my soil stays at my set temp.

I just figure, outside, with such a large mass the ground doesn't rapidly change temperatures as the night cools off.
Good point. A lot of the newer outdoor growers do not realize just how long it takes the outdoor soil to cool off. They start to think that they have to move their plants in 5 or 10 gallon pots inside in the evening and back out every morning.

Good reminder for them.

I run germinating mats with a temp probe under my pots and keep the bottom temps at 20.5C consistantly.

Growing in Canadian basement and hypothesized slow growth due to low temps. .....

This has made such a positive impact for me. Visually, plant growth increased. I speculate microbial life also bloomed. Water consumption in my pots increased. Full saturation to appropriate dry back became much quicker.

20220228_171539.jpg
Whats your rootzone temps? Because I believe mine are too high causing rootzine issues at around 80°F. My water holding tank is around 59-65 year round, solution tank is about 60-65. Mid to late flower stalk wilt. So pythium or something not sure if because I over vegged? I go from cube to 4x4x2.5 rockwool then on to a 1gal coco otb grow bag.

Your root zone temps can get pretty high. 80F is actually acceptable but you’ve gotta water more and have more nutrients.. I believe 86 is where you start running into damage.

Back
Top Bottom