10 Gallon Bubble / Diesel Ryder Auto Fem / 400W HID

just wanted to get ur feeling on the chiller u are using i was thinking about gettting one my temps are 74 in the room and bucket is 76ish but i am moving into a non ac grow room soon and i am needing an alt to keep my resv down. would you recomend it ?

is this the one you have ?? Aqua Euro USA 12G Nano Chiller

That is the exact one I am using. It is way less powerful than HP rated ones, but we aren't trying to keep a reef tank alive, so some temp variance is ok. Not to mention how small and quiet (and cheap) this little model is.

Takes it about 4 hours to drop 10 degrees F at 160 GPH. I only know this because I screwed up and put in 80 degree water on my last res change, haha.

Make sure you place the chiller itself out of the light, and run a fan over it. This made a huge difference in its efficiency.

As for would I recommend a chiller? Most definitely! I went from having to put frozen bottles in my res 4 times daily to let temps bounce between 65 and 78; to plugging the chiller in and watching res temps stay between 66 and 70.

If your res is way over 20 gallons, you might want to look into a 1/16 HP one. They start getting really expensive once you go bigger, though. You can push this small chiller with a tiny submersible pump, I am using a little 160 GPH pump that cost me $15; the same pump I used to run my feed lines previously.

so you need a aditional pump to run the h20 through it ? if so i assume the bigger the pump the faster the cooling ? At the present i have a 5 gal resv, but i may have to run a 20 gal resv to keep it cool. Do you have to plug it in when you need it ? does it have a thermostat built in ??How much did u pay for urs ? i ve seen it from 150 to 200 usd$

so you need a aditional pump to run the h20 through it ? if so i assume the bigger the pump the faster the cooling ? At the present i have a 5 gal resv, but i may have to run a 20 gal resv to keep it cool. Do you have to plug it in when you need it ? does it have a thermostat built in ??How much did u pay for urs ? i ve seen it from 150 to 200 usd$

The chiller does not pump the water at all, you have to pump water through it. This is a small cost, though. You can find a 160GPH pump for only 15-20 bucks.

The bigger the chiller, the faster the cooling; really, putting a bigger pump than the chiller can handle wont let the water stay in the chiller long enough to cool it. I think 160gph is about perfect for this small chiller, even though it is rated anywhere from 80-160gph. You set the pump up, and start it. This fills the chiller with solution. Then you turn the chiller on. It has a built in therm so it will tell you what temp the water inside of it is. You set the digital thermostat to what temp you would like your water to be, and off it goes. If the water gets too hot, it chills it. If the water gets too cold, it heats it.

As for price. eBay. Be patient and watch for deals. Make sure you are buying from a reputable source with a lot of feedback, though. I paid, shipping and all, $180 for mine. Shipping is not cheap, it is heavy. If you can find one locally, you can dodge the shipping costs. Check aquarium stores.

If you are running between 5-20 gallons of soultion, this should work fine.

Day 38

No major changes. Everything going fine.

Got the 300mm macro lens out and took a few pics. Didn't use tripod, so only 2 came out.

buds
IMGP7188.JPG

IMGP7189.JPG

IMGP7188a.JPG

IMGP7189a.JPG

OMG those buddies look awsome. Almost drop a bean and a half on a chiller but i ran into this on my way home. just needs some modification and a temp thermostat so i can run a pump and pipe the water through the a pvc tubing coil in the water coolers coil its also got heat for the winter time if i need it or maybe for a aero cloner ?? endless possibilties =) off to work on it

h201.jpg

OMG those buddies look awsome. Almost drop a bean and a half on a chiller but i ran into this on my way home. just needs some modification and a temp thermostat so i can run a pump and pipe the water through the a pvc tubing coil in the water coolers coil its also got heat for the winter time if i need it or maybe for a aero cloner ?? endless possibilties =) off to work on it

Love it! Let me know how that modification works out, great idea.

My wife told me not to paint that pentagram in goat's blood around the resevoir......

I agree with her. Goat's blood smells and is a pain in the butt to clean after time. :thumb:

Things are looking great there. We know what it's like to be surprised by extended growth spurts. But it's a great learning experience as you are experiencing.

+reps for a fun journal and great grow.

Nice looking plants! I will be excited to see what your auto strain delivers as well as mine!

Like you I really have no idea what yield is going to be so I am just patiently waiting for them to do their thing.

Day 42

Plant 1 has gotten too big for the res and netpot. Netpot now completely misshapen and the res is tearing. Had to truss her directly to the table. No longer able to open res at all. Thankfully, I have access to the res enough to drain and refill and test pH through the empty hole where the 4th plant would have gone. Very happy I did not do 4 plants. When lifting plant 1 by the stem, she weighs about 8 pounds, roots and all; if I had to guess. Plant 2 now leaning at about 45 degrees, but this is actually a good thing, gets her out of plant 3's shadow.

Plant 1 still producing just tiny buds, hundreds of them, but all tiny. Phenos all over the place on these girls. Strain is not very stable for me. All three plants exhibiting extremely different traits, including maturity date.

Plant 2 is doing better now, buds are fattening up and growth looks solid.

Plant 3 is still extremely precocious. Trichomes on a sugarleaf showed high percentage of cloudy. Should not be this far into maturity yet.

pH staying around 6.
Temps are 80F air, 69F res.
RH all over the place, from 50-60%, wrong time of year to expect lower, though.

14-21 days til harvest, though it looks like plant 3 might be a full week earlier than the other two girls. I might let her go really amber and push it to the limit. Might be nice to have some super couch lock and some more heady stuff all from one harvest. Will make a timely flush interesting, though.

girls 42
IMG_00317.JPG

plant 1
IMG_00327.JPG

plant 2
IMG_003310.JPG

plant 3
IMG_00347.JPG

a bud
IMG_003511.JPG

I agree with her. Goat's blood smells and is a pain in the butt to clean after time. :thumb:

Things are looking great there. We know what it's like to be surprised by extended growth spurts. But it's a great learning experience as you are experiencing.

+reps for a fun journal and great grow.

Thanks for stopping in! And yeah, I have learned a ton from this so far. I have learned a lot of things *not* to do next run. I hear great things about this strain though, not as good as NYC Diesel, but very similar.

Back
Top Bottom