Sativacat's Soil Tent Grow - Five-o & Alpujarrena - First Grow

re: Sativacat's Soil Tent Grow - Five-o & Alpujarrena - First Grow

that's rough about the gnats. I'm having a small problem with them, but I don't see many of them. I occasionally see them on the soil and it bugs me, though :|

that's rough about the gnats. I'm having a small problem with them, but I don't see many of them. I occasionally see them on the soil and it bugs me, though :|

They breed under the soil. If you've got a few wandering about you can bet there are more underneath the dirt gnawing on your roots. They will grow into adults and lay more eggs. Kill them before they multiply!

Turning off the fan did the trick! The breeze was keeping the bugs from flying about.

Today I set out a new sticky tape just as the fan was turned off. About 5 hours later this is what I found..

Excuse me while I run off to point and laugh at the horrid little things as they suffocate in the unrelenting goo.

Without a doubt the issues I am having is due to bugs.

Glue traps are still catching bugs but nowhere near the rate of a few days ago. The combination of breaking the cycle by catching adults and treating the soil to kill larvae seems to be doing the trick.

Deterioration has either slowed greatly or stopped altogether and things look like they are growing. I will set up some comparison shots in the next couple of days.

Glad to hear it!

Good riddance! Hopefully bug free soon!

Sounds like things are looking up! Glad to hear!

As always, thanks for checking in! =)

Ive had the fans of for 2 days now to encourage the flyers up and into the glue traps. To some extent this has worked. They seem to be most active in the early afternoon and this afternoon was no different. A bunch of them flying about when I checked in around 2pm. Going to check back in later in the evening once they settle down and water in some more mosquito dunk crumbles.

The battle rages on!

3 weeks after finding out I had an infestation and beginning treatment there are less adults than there used to be. Though they are still getting caught. A few are still crawling across the soil.

I am hoping another week should do it. I would like to have the bugs gone before I start thinking of topping, taking cuttings and LSTing.

The 2 large plants have started growing quickly and the lower leaves have stopped dying off. Are they looking big enough to be topped yet? I think they are close.
___

Plant 4 - Indica
Bottom leaves no longer dying off and lots of promising new growth.
___

Plant 5 - Sativa
This plant always seemed the strongest, hardly any yellowing and looks strong.
Bottom leaves no longer yellowing any further.
___

Plant 1 - Sativa
This little girl is the same age as the 2 plants above. It seems to have picked up in the last week. Little to no yellowing over the last few days.

___

Plant 6 - Indica
The curled up leaf on the right turned yellow within the last week. I'm not holding out too much hope for this girl. She might just have been too small when the bugs attacked. Her pot always seemed to have the most bugs. Infestation might have started in her soil.

You could top the bigger ones. Looking good!

I am seeing a lot less bugs so in the interest of time I took a little chance. I fimmed the sativa and topped the indica. I might have gone too high and removed too little material from the indica. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

I am starting to think that I am the tail end of the bug issue.
I applied Bt-i in the form of mosquito dunk on 5/21. I have seen flying adult levels plummet significantly within the last week or so, nearly 4 weeks later.

All plants were showing signs of damage the first couple of weeks. The yellowing has stopped and growth has picked up, especially in the two larger ones. Note: All 4 plants are the same age.

I figure it is getting close to the time where I want to switch to 12/12 on this tent. I would like to move the 2 smaller plants to a new veg tent to see if they recover as well as take a couple of clones from the 2 larger plants. I am guessing that is going to be in the next few weeks so it is time to shop for tent and a light!

Here is what the tent is looking like today.

To answer my own question: Not Yet.

Last night I cleaned out every single dead gnat to find some more dead ones this afternoon. (About 13 hours later) Luckily not too many. I also spotted a couple of live adults, no more than four. Nothing at all crawling across the soil. The battle is nearly over.

Focusing back on the plants themselves I am curious about a couple of stems that look a little red. This is only happening on the largest of leaves of both of my larger plants, different strains. All 4 plants did see some damage from the gnat infestation. Is this something I should worry about now or wait and see if it spreads to newer growth?

Watered 1 week ago with GH's Flora series mixed in the "Aggressive growth" strength ratio listed on the bottle. Soil is still humid past my first knuckle.

IMG_20140618_074136.jpg

As always: Any thoughts, observations, constructive comments and general feelings of good will are happily accepted and appreciated!

Stems are often times red, don't worry too much :D I am not exactly sure on the precise cause but I know its not too serious. They are looking real good, though. If bugs continue I would check your soil for larvae and possibly transplant.

Back
Top Bottom