SciFi's Durban-X, Experimental Bubble Lab 2010

FPF: Thanks man! :) I don't have a catchy name for it yet, like yours, but I'll think of something. :)

The 4-site passed the leak and flood test. I'm moving two of the DX clones over to it tonight and my 3 ladies in flower are all showing now! WOOP! Pics to come! Got new batteries in the IR temp gauge, so I'll take some more measurements tonight too.

Ladies are showing in flowering now.. More to come tonight.

scifi-549-1.jpg

scifi-549-2.jpg

scifi-549-3.jpg

scifi-549-4.jpg

scifi-549-5.jpg

scifi-549-6.jpg

scifi-549-7.jpg

scifi-549-8.jpg

scifi-549-9.jpg

scifi-549-10.jpg

Good eye MC. :) Well.. I used a bonsai technique, and girdled it. Every where I girdled it, I removed one of the two branches when I girdled it.

I have to work on the car, I'll be back in a bit!

So I girdled it here... It seemed to
scifi-549-4.jpg

And cut all the side branches on a weaker side, and lowered the growing tip almost 80 degrees during vegetation. By doing this it forces the auxin growing hormone to level out in each of the side branches. I then topped each of them to force them to branch, and did that as well to what would have been the primary tip, had I let it reach high enough. I cloned most of the side branches when I took them, and have been removing the weaker ones. That's the two large clones in my other tank, left.

What the heck is girdling?

You restrict a stalk with something, or similarly do a sort of half supercrop type bend. It causes a thick callous to form and redirect growth to the side branches just in front of the girdling. It's sort of like when you see a little branch grow on a tree when it wraps itself around a pole.. Just more controlled.

I use a very stiff, foam coated agriculture wire, and ran it up the stalk at key points, and used 3 different techniques. One where I bent it over, one where I rolled it, and one where I micro adjusted it every day. All three seemed to work well, and the one time when I bent it too far, it split. It scared the crap out of me but it healed quite nicely.

I see that wire. I'm a supercropping guy myself but I start higher up on the plant for height and canopy management. A little pot tilting also, I see. Is your purpose just to get it as flat as reasonably possible? That would come in handy for an outside guerilla grow.

Yessir. It's sort of S&M Bonsai.. I think there's pic in my album. I kept tipping the netpot over, and leaving it for a few days, and then rotating it 6-12"s, to push more growth into the other branches and even the canopy out. I tried to aim all the primary growth tips from the forks I make on each of them. It's sort of like a free air scrog with bonsai wire.

Here's an early one.. Where I was just bending the plant with phototropism, moving the cup.
You can see the definite bend in the branch which is still present today.
P10100043.JPG

Back
Top Bottom