Seedlings - Nutrients or not?

TheFertilizer

I have been reading Jorge Cervantes' book and he says not to use nutrients on seedlings for the first two weeks of growth and that tap water should have enough solids in it to feed. Then I looked up my GH Flora Nova feeding chart and it said to start feeding 1.5 mL per gallon at the first week of growth.

What does everyone do with their seedlings? I have only done clones before.

As Serpent said, NO FEEDING TILL WK 2 and or second nod.
There are much easier and cheaper ways of killing your baby plants ;)
Start with like 0.5 ml/L to start then and move up each one or two wks and observe the plant responses. Add or reduce as required. Normally half the indicated dosage will alwys work best, at least for me :)
Good luck and enjoy the journey :)

The quicker you learn that with nutes, less is more, the better for you and your plants. And never use the strengths written on the nute packages, bottles, etc...unless you want to put your plants in danger. There are a few exceptions but take whatever they say and use only 1/4 strength to start. Bump it up as you go along and unless you're growing monster 4 meter bushes leave it at 1/2 strength, no more.

Also, let's not forget the medium your growing in. I use Fox Farm's Ocean Forest and it will easily take you through the first month with no need for nutes. Outside of that, let the plant do the talking and remember it takes about 3 days for a plant to respond to what you feed it.

The quicker you learn that with nutes, less is more, the better for you and your plants. And never use the strengths written on the nute packages, bottles, etc...unless you want to put your plants in danger. There are a few exceptions but take whatever they say and use only 1/4 strength to start. Bump it up as you go along and unless you're growing monster 4 meter bushes leave it at 1/2 strength, no more.

Also, let's not forget the medium your growing in. I use Fox Farm's Ocean Forest and it will easily take you through the first month with no need for nutes. Outside of that, let the plant do the talking and remember it takes about 3 days for a plant to respond to what you feed it.

Yeah my soil had a NPK rating of 0-0-0 so I figured I would need to start them earlier than usual in most soils.

Thr cotyledons and some of the new growth were yellowing so I think it was the right time to start. They're two weeks and have two sets of true leaves. I think the only thing I spaced was using a lesser dose than the bottle read.

I did 1.5 ml per gallon of GH Flora Nova and 1/4 tsp of OG Tea Veganic Special Sauce.

If you overfeed an infant, it will get sick. Same goes for plants.

In your case, where the cotyledons have already yellowed, because the soil wasn't enriched, you can add dilute (1/4) strength of a basic complete nute once a week. And then just use a turkey baster to feed. Don't drown them with the nute solution. They are too young to handle it.

If you overfeed an infant, it will get sick. Same goes for plants.

In your case, where the cotyledons have already yellowed, because the soil wasn't enriched, you can add dilute (1/4) strength of a basic complete nute once a week. And then just use a turkey baster to feed. Don't drown them with the nute solution. They are too young to handle it.

Akgramma makes a good point but do you have any pics of the plant :thanks::thanks:

IMG_20160518_001228.jpg

I gave the ones in the front row nutrients, they're all about two weeks

You used ferilizers on front row from day one???????

No no I just gave them nutrients for the first time yesterday, the ones in the top row are only about a week old from sprout and the bottom ones are all two weeks. So I only gave nutrients to the bottom row, and mostly because their cotyledons and new growth tips were yellowing.

If you check on your ladies daily (or multiple times daily like me lol) you will notice when they need something and you can take it from there

Couldn't agree more. I was talking about this the other day at my local grow shop. Why they suggest such large doses I don't know. I grow via NFT and DWC and never go above half the suggested amount.

Back
Top Bottom