Seeds: Hermaphrodite Seeds

I had some seeds show up on some outdoor Northern Light autos this summer. Very strange because I never found any male pollen sacs. No idea where other pollen might have come from.

In any case I have allowed the seeds to mature, and Ill try to sprout them in the spring. If I get a few more seeds that will be great.

With many strains, if the female stays in flower long enough and doesn't get pollenated, they'll often throw a couple of nanners and self-seed as a "preservation of the species" kinda thing. I used to explain that, like many women, if she goes long enough without getting it, she'll do it herself! :rofl:

That being said, this self-seeding is very different than a hermie. With hermies, you'll typically get lots of seeds all throughout the buds. On a self-seed, you may come across a few in a grow.

Those self-seeds should be fine to plant, and because it was a female that selfed, the seeds will be female and should be a genetic clone of the mother since all chromosomes came from her. Basically, like a clone in seed form. Which also means, they should be autos! ;)

With many strains, if the female stays in flower long enough and doesn't get pollenated, they'll often throw a couple of nanners and self-seed as a "preservation of the species" kinda thing. I used to explain that, like many women, if she goes long enough without getting it, she'll do it herself! :rofl:

That being said, this self-seeding is very different than a hermie. With hermies, you'll typically get lots of seeds all throughout the buds. On a self-seed, you may come across a few in a grow.

Those self-seeds should be fine to plant, and because it was a female that selfed, the seeds will be female and should be a genetic clone of the mother since all chromosomes came from her. Basically, like a clone in seed form. Which also means, they should be autos! ;)

That’s interesting. I have seen the occasional male part on my females. I thought I had stressed them causing hermaphroditism. And the seeds won’t be hermi. Wow. Thank you for the information.

Thanks a bunch for this info - much appreciated.

Something of interest - as the plants matured, the covering over the seed turned brown. They were quite easy to find, Also this 'skin' was covered in trichomes. I easily removed the skin and into the oils infusion pot they went.

I also ate some.

Can anybody please tell me if seeds from a plant that became hermi from either flowered to long or light leaked in.
Are the seeds any good at all???
Yes they are good!!!! Where do you think gorilla glue came from? That’s right. A hermie. Ding ding schools over.

I would NOT use seeds from a hermie. It does not mean they definitely aren't good, but if the plant was prone to hermie, it's likely passed that trait on in it's genetics. I would use those seeds only as a "last resort", or better yet, not use them at all! ;)

:Namaste:

K
False. Gorilla glue came from a hermie. Fact.

False. Gorilla glue came from a hermie. Fact.
My statement is 420% correct, Brother! Breeders avoid NATURAL hermies like the plague. Gorilla Glue is a cross between Chocolate Diesel and Sour Diesel. However, some breeders. when they get a good Female pheno, will intentionally stress the plant to produce pollen and create a "S-1", which is a female that's "reversed" (intentionally stressed to the point of hermie male) then crossed with itself. So, the seed inherets all of its genetics from the female.

Many breeders won't even mess with reversing females, but there is a difference between a stable pheno that's intentionally stressed to reverse it, and a female that hermies at the slightest signs of stress. You do NOT want to use the latter for breeding.

My statement is 420% correct, Brother! Breeders avoid NATURAL hermies like the plague. Gorilla Glue is a cross between Chocolate Diesel and Sour Diesel. However, some breeders. when they get a good Female pheno, will intentionally stress the plant to produce pollen and create a "S-1", which is a female that's "reversed" (intentionally stressed to the point of hermie male) then crossed with itself. So, the seed inherets all of its genetics from the female.

Many breeders won't even mess with reversing females, but there is a difference between a stable pheno that's intentionally stressed to reverse it, and a female that hermies at the slightest signs of stress. You do NOT want to use the latter for breeding.
You dodged the truth. Gorilla glue is from a hermie. End of story. Proof there’s nothing wrong with hermied plants.
You act like your teaching me something. I am trying to educate you.
Gorilla glue was the latter... and it’s a very good strain.

STORY: Gorilla Glue # 4 was accidently created by Joesy Whales when some Chem Sis plants he was growing hermied and pollinated his Sour Dubb. Tired of seeded gardens, Joesy tossed out the strain. But his buddy, Mardogg, still had some seeds. Mardogg popped the beans years later and ended up with 4 pheno's of the GG, deciding #4 was worth keeping.

Here's my situation. Last year I grew a seed that somehow found its way into my suitcase when in Jamaica. A beautiful tree grew and by measuring tape it was all of 12' tall. Over the winter o found a seed in one of the buds. Popped it into earth and a similar beautiful plant emerged. However I left it in the pot and I believe it hermied due to heat stress. It pollinated a c99 and a cheese plant growing next to it in pots. The hermied plant is not covered in seeds but definitely has seeds. My question is this. Will the seeds from the c99 and cheese plants also have a tendency to Hermie or will it be ok to grow them next year?

And the "Jamaican vacation" plant has a really nice up buzz and everyone who I shared some with came back to me and said they Luv it and want more. Not sure if I should keep the Hermie seeds or dam the nay sayers and grow them.

Here's my situation. Last year I grew a seed that somehow found its way into my suitcase when in Jamaica. A beautiful tree grew and by measuring tape it was all of 12' tall. Over the winter o found a seed in one of the buds. Popped it into earth and a similar beautiful plant emerged. However I left it in the pot and I believe it hermied due to heat stress. It pollinated a c99 and a cheese plant growing next to it in pots. The hermied plant is not covered in seeds but definitely has seeds. My question is this. Will the seeds from the c99 and cheese plants also have a tendency to Hermie or will it be ok to grow them next year?
My opinion is to grow them. Here’s the story on gorilla glue
STORY: Gorilla Glue # 4 was accidently created by Joesy Whales when some Chem Sis plants he was growing hermied and pollinated his Sour Dubb. Tired of seeded gardens, Joesy tossed out the strain. But his buddy, Mardogg, still had some seeds. Mardogg popped the beans years later and ended up with 4 pheno's of the GG, deciding #4 was worth keeping.

You dodged the truth. Gorilla glue is from a hermie. End of story. Proof there’s nothing wrong with hermied plants.
You act like your teaching me something. I am trying to educate you.
Gorilla glue was the latter... and it’s a very good strain.
Brother, I appreciate the attempt and I know the story. Just because some grower got lucky with Gorilla Glue doesn't make it a good practice to breed with "unforced" hermies. Don't take my word for it, talk to some breeders and/or do some research online. Good breeders will stress test the plants and cull anything that hermies easy. They're avoided because the can pass on the trait. It's not that they always do, but there's a good chance that no reputable breeder will want to take.

Also, some female plants late into flower will self seed as a "preservation of the species" when they don't get pollinated by any male. When this happens, there's usually only a couple/few seeds (not a seeded plant). These seeds are usually fine to breed since the female wasn't prone to hermie, and, sometimes the pollen can make it's way onto neighboring plants.

Brother, I appreciate the attempt and I know the story. Just because some grower got lucky with Gorilla Glue doesn't make it a good practice to breed with "unforced" hermies. Don't take my word for it, talk to some breeders and/or do some research online. Good breeders will stress test the plants and cull anything that hermies easy. They're avoided because the can pass on the trait. It's not that they always do, but there's a good chance that no reputable breeder will want to take.

Also, some female plants late into flower will self seed as a "preservation of the species" when they don't get pollinated by any male. When this happens, there's usually only a couple/few seeds (not a seeded plant). These seeds are usually fine to breed since the female wasn't prone to hermie, and, sometimes the pollen can make it's way onto neighboring plants.
I'm 420% with the Krip on this one. I stress all plants I breed with, males and females. Anything with a sign of hermies and I bomb them hard. Yes it's possible to get some fems but I've found at least half will herm with little to no stress. As a breeder with some integrity any plant that shows any sign of herm and it's out. It's a headache later down the line when you breed with hermies. I'm not talking reversed or late flower pollen. I'm talking about genetic propensity to herm. It's not anything I'd play with ever. Sure it can be done but rather grow out a decent male and female and make yourself something you can rely on.
I've just destroyed about 5 landrace durbans that are for breeding as they hermied. I have another 5 males that are solid. These I will use.

Just because gg4 was made using a hermie and you like the buzz doesn’t make it correct, that’s one cultivar. Why would you want to risk having hermies in every seed you pop?
I completely agree with Krip on this subject!! Next time do some research on the subject before going around telling people they are wrong. All you did was repeat the gg4 story over and over.

Just because gg4 was made using a hermie and you like the buzz doesn’t make it correct, that’s one cultivar. Why would you want to risk having hermies in every seed you pop?
I completely agree with Krip on this subject!! Next time do some research on the subject before going around telling people they are wrong. All you did was repeat the gg4 story over and over.
Bro I literally touched on this GG4 subject the other day on @ilikemsticky thread lmao

Back
Top Bottom