Seeds won't germinate starting to panic

SweetRiver

I planted three seeds directly in soil nine days ago and NOTHING! I have previously done this with no problem and I am using the same technique and materials.

Each seed (white widow xl auto, lemon haze auto, og kush auto all purchased in may '16) was in a 5 gal container, indoors, air con, with soil mix of potting soil, some ewc, coir, and pumice stones. I have used this mixture before with success. I am in central America.

I water the soil with rain water (ph between 6 a 6.5) after making sure the soil was not too wet, I planted each seed about 1/2" deep in their own 5 gal container. I have a grow closet that is in a air con room with the temps between 75 and 80, with no other plants. Initially I misted the seeds but when there was no sprouting after four days I started just gently pouring the water around the spot where the seed was, when the soil was dryish. ( the soil never completely dried but I never let is get soggy either.)

Nine days and NOYHING? A few days ago I figured I would use my older method of germinating a seed in a wet paper towel and after 72 hrs. Also nothing. What's goin on? My seed supplier has been no help (initially bought eight seeds from them, of which one seed of the batch grew fine previously)

Seeds were stored since may 2016 in a dark spot, air con, in their original packaging.

Any ideas? What could be going wrong? How could I have three, possibly more, duds?

I'm starting to worry cause this is for medicinal use and unless I grow my own I don't have the greatest options here.

Thanks for ANY ideas

I planted three seeds directly in soil nine days ago and NOTHING! I have previously done this with no problem and I am using the same technique and materials.

Each seed (white widow xl auto, lemon haze auto, og kush auto all purchased in may '16) was in a 5 gal container, indoors, air con, with soil mix of potting soil, some ewc, coir, and pumice stones. I have used this mixture before with success. I am in central America.

I water the soil with rain water (ph between 6 a 6.5) after making sure the soil was not too wet, I planted each seed about 1/2" deep in their own 5 gal container. I have a grow closet that is in a air con room with the temps between 75 and 80, with no other plants. Initially I misted the seeds but when there was no sprouting after four days I started just gently pouring the water around the spot where the seed was, when the soil was dryish. ( the soil never completely dried but I never let is get soggy either.)

Nine days and NOYHING? A few days ago I figured I would use my older method of germinating a seed in a wet paper towel and after 72 hrs. Also nothing. What's goin on? My seed supplier has been no help (initially bought eight seeds from them, of which one seed of the batch grew fine previously)

Seeds were stored since may 2016 in a dark spot, air con, in their original packaging.

Any ideas? What could be going wrong? How could I have three, possibly more, duds?

I'm starting to worry cause this is for medicinal use and unless I grow my own I don't have the greatest options here.

Thanks for ANY ideas

I soak seeds in warm water to start for about 36 hours. Once cracked I plant the crack side down in the soil and then cover with minimal dirt, maybe 1/4" at most. Out of 11 seeds I've tried with this method I'm 10/11 and waiting currently to see if the 11th will be coming up soon as I planted it just a couple days ago. I think it's a dud though.

A lot of these seeds are from different companies. Not saying directly into soil doesn't work but there are lots of other germination ways that help speed it up and will also give you visuals along the way to let you know they are coming up! Keeps the mind from going crazy.

Well that method sounds like it would suit my personality better :). I wonder what I should do with the ones in the soil that aren't coming up.? I used the soil method to minimize stress (on the seeds tho it hasn't reduced MY stress). I'm tempted to dig one up to see if there is maybe a taproot.....I mean it's been NINE days.

check to see if there's a taproot. if you do it gently there shouldn't be any problems. gently move the top of the soil with something small like a paper lip until you see top of the seed and gently move seed to see if it has cracked or you see the root

Sent from my iPhone using 420

GrowObserver thanks for the idea! I thought I would try and examine one of my three seeds. it was very difficult to find. the seed is tiny and brown in brown dirt with lots of little tiny roundish bits, next time I'm putting a tiny flag near the seed. but i eventually found the seed and yes it had cracked! with maybe the start of a taproot. so I carefully covered it up.

so that bodes well for the other two, I think. one thing I noticed is that my soil seemed cool. this is odd in that here in central America it is never cool. ever. so I am cutting down on the air con and putting some lights nearby to provide a little warmth. going for a soil/room temp of around 75-80. I wonder if the cooler soil was a factor in this sloooowww germination?

Thanks growobserver, but im in CENTRAL AMERICA. its ALWAYS warm. i do have a/c in the room, however, and i maintain between 74 and 85 degrees F. that should be warm enough, no? the soil would be room temp, right? i dont water with ice water or anything. i dont know where i would get a heating pad here in the jungle, either.

anyway, the in soil seeds are now 11 days with no sprouting, and my "in the wet paper towel" seeds are like more than 48 hours, and NOTHING.

ANY ideas appreciated

yes, cfls... originally I just had natural lite, but when you recommended heat, I started using the cfls I use to grow, 18/6

Okay 420 forum-ers. I now have 7 bad seeds out of eight!!!!! The first one was fine, 3 months later none of the same batch are germinating. What in the hell? Could it be my supplier? (very reputable) Storage? (in original tiny ziplocks in plastic container in ventilated closet in air con room in central America). The seeds showed no mildew, no change in color, no obvious changes. They never got wet, the dogs didnt nibble on them. We thought nice thoughts.

Educated guesses appreciated.

My Humble Opinion ...

If you can't get a seed to crack and form a 1/2" taproot via 24 hour soaking and the paper towel method, and you have had luck before, chances are your seeds are duds. Seed viability can drop greatly after 6 months if storage conditions are not perfect. Genetics are also a large factor in seed viability. I have made a lot of seeds over the years, some are still viable after 30 years, others are DIS (dead in shell) but they do take special treatment to get going when that old.

Keith

Keith...
In other words I should stop whining and accept the obvious? Yeah you are probably right :). But I've only had them since June, sigh.

Back
Top Bottom