Seeking A Sympathetic Guru! I'm 4 Years As A Medical User & New Grower

I had 2 small aquarium heaters set at 76f and removed them because of the slime.

I was told about the slime causing nutrient lockouts that's why I'm so determined to get rid of the problem by sterilizing the stones and buckets but i check daily and have not use nutes in a week or so. And change the water every 4 or 5 days or sooner if needed until all the slime goes away. I wash the buckets with the water change's but I still see som slime within 2 days.

It's probably from bits of residue already on the basket and roots. I'm thinking that the substance is forming slime when infused with all the micro-bubbles.

No cleaners yet still payday. I'm low income and my goal is to avoid the $100 a month for store bought weed. So I'm trying to take all this seriously.

The temps are 71 and 72 respectively.
Anything over 68 your going to start to see issues without adding a tiny bit of bleach, couple drops every couple days will do wonders. I would also advise getting away from general hydroponics nutrients to something thinner and easier for the plants to uptake, I switched to botanicare and it was the answer to my buildup issues and the plants absolutely loved the switch with signs of more rapid growth in 2 days after switching

Im working on scrubbing everything asap but the Gelato was harmed after germination from over watering the rockwool. Can't scrub the basket bottoms so i use spray bottle jets to rinse the bottoms and roots as much as possible.

My next grow tutorial in 2 more weeks will probably be about when and how to crop the plants to increase flowering. I'm not expecting much from the little girl but even half one ounce would be a gift. I have high hopes for all my subsequent efforts at growing.

Im not using any nutes at this time. Im not using the GH FloraNova Bloom as it's way too concentrated. I do have the GH Floragrow 2-1-6. Not very strong or surapy. No more nutrients until I can get filtered water because my water alone is over 600ppm. Can't afford distilled water. I started these buckets on distilled and 25 gallons lasted 2 weeks...

I'll break out the eye dropper and do the bleach thing. Truthfully, I would imagine that bleach would be the LAST thing somebody would suggest because I was stiffly warned about the chlorine and such in my tap water!

I'll try and be nice...but..I am me

Lol

You can't do just what you think sounds good my friend

DWC needs nutes in it
pH needs in a specific range
Water needs bubbles at a specific water level below the net pots
Lights need a specific height above the plants

I understand your life, past, current life situation, but you need to take this seriously and focus on the plants

Take notes
Make a schedule
Take more notes

Ask specific questions not jumbled around antidotal humor

If you don't, you will never grasp the process

@Pennywise has been a wealth of information and help to me, he is here to help you, heed this help

Sorry man .... Life kicks all our asses at times, time for u to kick back

Im not using any nutes at this time. Im not using the GH FloraNova Bloom as it's way too concentrated. I do have the GH Floragrow 2-1-6. Not very strong or surapy. No more nutrients until I can get filtered water because my water alone is over 600ppm. Can't afford distilled water. I started these buckets on distilled and 25 gallons lasted 2 weeks...

I'll break out the eye dropper and do the bleach thing. Truthfully, I would imagine that bleach would be the LAST thing somebody would suggest because I was stiffly warned about the chlorine and such in my tap water!
It’s not like your dropping a chlorine tab into a bucket of bleach, you won’t need to worry about chloramine gas like that just adding a couple drops of bleach. You do want at least some nutes in your resivoir for the plants to feed on and if your PPM is over 600 right from the tap and the building won’t let you install a water filter I’d recommend telling them your going to contact DHHS and your states AG(attorney general) and have them address the issue, you’ll be granted permission to install whatever water filter you want as it’s your right to have clean water.. I’m still trying to understand your PH numbers though seeing as how PH ranges on a scale from 1 to 14 with 7 being neutral

I used the heaters because my rental is extremely drafty and zero insulation so my room is always much cooler than the rest of the house. I bought a 40 watt space heater for the grow area.

I seem to remember that the question about the water temperature was on my mind last week when I removed the heaters but I don't know if I posted the question here or not.

I don't understand this remark! I'm not trying to just take any path that occurs to me. I have accepted all the advice given to me. Now I feel like an ass and don't know why... I'm following instructions given to me within my constraints.

I won't be bothering y'all anymore.

Hi.

I'm a disabled and handicapped Nam Vet for since 1975. I stopped using prescription painkillers long ago but only started cannabis medical relief 4 years ago, it's now way too costly to buy since the wife passed away a year ago and the loss of half our income...

This month Michigan law now allows me to relax about having a small hydro grow in my closet= 4 ft X 2 ft high ceiling, room for three hydroponic pots but I'm only growing 2 plants.

Im starting my seeds right now but I need to be sure I have a successful first grow so I'll describe my setup and welcome advice about my setup before I kill my first 2 plants now in infancy.

I'm using a 45 gallon black tote from Home Depot. I read that red lava rock is rich with favorable minerals so I put 4 inches on the bottom and am reducing 15 or so gallons of water with jugs and plastic bottles filled with tap water to reduce the need for that much water and essential nutrients and then I plan on about 20/25 gallons of feeding water.

After buying all nutritional materials, clay pellets and rockwool media is already purchased as well as 4 ft florescent lights and timer.

Questions one:

IF, I use aquarium water conditioner, can tap water be used along with high aeration and pond pump circulation and drip feeder? Or is purified water a must?

Q 2: is commercially purchased and packaged seed swapping allowed in the USA?

I've noticed hundreds of YouTube videos and dozens of (highly opinionated) DIY methods of every economy so am i on a fools errand in my choice of methods?

Hope I'm not causing any sensory overload!
chillin.png
JPEG_20190128_142536_7709509739145840199.jpg
chillin.png
Hey bud...I live in Massachusetts and am on the same page. I was a combat medic for the Marine Corps for 6 years and am also disabled...Desert Storm Vet. If ya cant give them spring water, use the aquarium water treatment....thats what I do. secondly, growing weed from seed is a long tenuous process. When I started, I knew nothing about growing marijuana. So I took advice from a friend, and started growing clones. This gave me a lot of experience and now I can troubleshoot and grow just about anything. Although I do not grow hydroponically, I can tell you that the dirt makes the difference. As long as you keep the soil hydrated and not overwatered, it should give you good results. Although I'm not a big fan of growing additives, I have come to love an additive called Canna boost. If used correctly, it will give you amazing results. You're also better off buying a grow tent. It gives the plants light reflectivity and they seem generally happier. Here's mine take a look.

Attachments

• 20190327_084817.jpg
    20190327_084817.jpg
    855.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190327_084755.jpg
    20190327_084755.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190327_084739.jpg
    20190327_084739.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 61
I don't understand this remark! I'm not trying to just take any path that occurs to me. I have accepted all the advice given to me. Now I feel like an ass and don't know why... I'm following instructions given to me within my constraints.

Your not bothering us bud, we’re just trying to help you out that’s all, we ALL want to see you have your best plants possible, we all have plant issues at one point or another, hell, I missed a male once and it cost me my entire crop, it happens, another crop went thru high heat and tons of stress, which also caused a poor harvest, things we all have to learn one way or another, but there’s plenty of us that have gone thru these experiences and want to help you avoid them. We may seem a little harsh at times if we feel advice is being ignored, my best advice is take everything with a grain of salt, not everything everyone says will fit your budget or may not even apply to your situation. We’re a big family here, keep your head up Warezaholic, it will get better, it always takes at least a couple crops to get everything figured out for your exact situation, keep posting and keep at it, you’ll get there bud!

Hey bud...I live in Massachusetts and am on the same page. I was a combat medic for the Marine Corps for 6 years and am also disabled...Desert Storm Vet. If ya cant give them spring water, use the aquarium water treatment....thats what I do. secondly, growing weed from seed is a long tenuous process. When I started, I knew nothing about growing marijuana. So I took advice from a friend, and started growing clones. This gave me a lot of experience and now I can troubleshoot and grow just about anything. Although I do not grow hydroponically, I can tell you that the dirt makes the difference. As long as you keep the soil hydrated and not overwatered, it should give you good results. Although I'm not a big fan of growing additives, I have come to love an additive called Canna boost. If used correctly, it will give you amazing results. You're also better off buying a grow tent. It gives the plants light reflectivity and they seem generally happier. Here's mine take a look.

Thanks for your input. My 4X2' closest is lined all around wit aluminum foil for reflectivity.

When I started the project I was only thinking that I have to grow my own and my research on hydroponics (top fed, deep water culture) led me here where it was recommended that I should go with "Bubbleponics " and by that time the rockwool was so over saturated and obviously stunted.

I'm so sorry that I don't the deep pockets required to compete against all the "PROFESSIONALS" working this area.

I'm moving on to less stringent ways of learning the process of growing. It seems that there's hundreds of gurus that are willing to tell you what to do. It has felt like I'm needing to learn an entirely new language just to know what's being said.

With each new chapter in the process I'm reluctantly learning chemistry. Some say this and some say that! My thoughts are swirling around with this's or thats. I'm ready to go into a coma till harvest time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative about the advice and direction given. Now it seems to be boxing me in with so many details that my water supply just won't cooperate with and the expenses of getting it right.

I'll take what I've been tought and do the best I can with what I have to work with.

At the moment, I'm getting discouraged around here. "Get the nutes right", "Don't worry about the nutes". "PH must be Perfet or else". "Pay attention to this then don't worry about that". Lousy tap water is is bad, another says it doesn't bother my grow etc. etc...

Like I said, I'm feeling like an ASS in here now and don't know why. I'm in a whirlwind of science. I'm definitely not going to pursue hydroponics after this grow. I'm already OVER 400$ invested another 200$ next week. Where will it end? WITH DIRT I THINK....

We are for sure here to help

You just need to focus on the processes we all talked about

They need daily love and attention, and eventually you'll have it mastered

I wonder if I should just transplanted these weeds into dirt and drop out of hydroponics altogether. Im an old dog and hydroponics just may be the proverbial new trick. I love what I'm doing. My hydro plants are lik an exotic pet with high rolling needs. The technical stuff differs from one person to the next but it's probably turning into 4 month long battle with my crappy water and will cost another $400 in supplies. It'll take a year or more before I can break even in product.

Thanks for your input. My 4X2' closest is lined all around wit aluminum foil for reflectivity.

When I started the project I was only thinking that I have to grow my own and my research on hydroponics (top fed, deep water culture) led me here where it was recommended that I should go with "Bubbleponics " and by that time the rockwool was so over saturated and obviously stunted.

I'm so sorry that I don't the deep pockets required to compete against all the "PROFESSIONALS" working this area.

I'm moving on to less stringent ways of learning the process of growing. It seems that there's hundreds of gurus that are willing to tell you what to do. It has felt like I'm needing to learn an entirely new language just to know what's being said.

With each new chapter in the process I'm reluctantly learning chemistry. Some say this and some say that! My thoughts are swirling around with this's or thats. I'm ready to go into a coma till harvest time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative about the advice and direction given. Now it seems to be boxing me in with so many details that my water supply just won't cooperate with and the expenses of getting it right.

I'll take what I've been tought and do the best I can with what I have to work with.

At the moment, I'm getting discouraged around here. "Get the nutes right", "Don't worry about the nutes". "PH must be Perfet or else". "Pay attention to this then don't worry about that". Lousy tap water is is bad, another says it doesn't bother my grow etc. etc...

Like I said, I'm feeling like an ASS in here now and don't know why. I'm in a whirlwind of science. I'm definitely not going to pursue hydroponics after this grow. I'm already OVER 400$ invested another 200$ next week. Where will it end? WITH DIRT I THINK....
I can admit that hydroponics is not for everybody, it’s nowhere near as forgiving as soil, they each have their pros and cons, and everyone has different experiences with each. You may be better fit to grow them in soil, hydro is definitely not for the person on a budget in my opinion, there’s lots of upkeep and things can go wrong FAST, whatever you do as far as soil though and I think this is a given, stick away from miracle grow lol, after that, there’s hundreds of growers on here that have amazing soil recipes to get you going towards some amazing plants. As far as transplanting them from soil, at this point your roots are probably down thru your net pots correct? If soo you may do a little damage removing them and stunt the plants a tiny bit, but they would bounce back with a little TLC

The Gelato roots are still kinda short but the best I've seen thus far, the small amount of longer roots are about 5 inches but I'm please that something is finally showing healthy roots. The Gelato is rebounding in that respect.

The other plant is giving me almost none of the issues that the first one is. Except for the 2 yellow leaf's she's as healthy looking as I hope it is, roots and all. Even the slime problem is not much of an issue.

By this time next week they will each have a light all to themselves. I'm buying more seeds and buckets (for a total of 5 or 6) and perhaps going try soil for the next crop.

As you said, hydroponics isn't for everyone but now that I'm finally seeing progress with hydro, it's gonna take me that extra mile to get to that decision.

The Gelato roots are still kinda short but the best I've seen thus far, the small amount of longer roots are about 5 inches but I'm please that something is finally showing healthy roots. The Gelato is rebounding in that respect.

The other plant is giving me almost none of the issues that the first one is. Except for the 2 yellow leaf's she's as healthy looking as I hope it is, roots and all. Even the slime problem is not much of an issue.

By this time next week they will each have a light all to themselves. I'm buying more seeds and buckets (for a total of 5 or 6) and perhaps going try soil for the next crop.

As you said, hydroponics isn't for everyone but now that I'm finally seeing progress with hydro, it's gonna take me that extra mile to get to that decision.
It can definitely be discouraging at first especially if issues are run into in the first couple crops. I have done a soil/hydro side by side grow with seeds from the same bag of weed and the hydro was about 3 times faster in growth even with that i was ready to get away from hydro after a couple bad crops but I stuck with it against what I thought was my better judgement, and thankfully I have now had some pretty decent crops and looking forward to more in the near future. Here’s a shot of my room when it was full of Jack Herer, and also a shot of one of them that was a freak of nature haha

Attachments

• 23F01D59-A7EA-4B9D-A643-14B0A2A67185.jpeg
    23F01D59-A7EA-4B9D-A643-14B0A2A67185.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 9F48CC6B-B603-4920-A3EB-09016CD90134.jpeg
    9F48CC6B-B603-4920-A3EB-09016CD90134.jpeg
    911.7 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom