Severely stunted autos

Slick0ne

I have 3 stunted auto flowers that I got from 420 last year. They germinated great and popped right up but on day 4 they stopped growing up and have barely grown out. I am on day 14 and they look like seedlings.
My first grow was about a month ago and I had 6 plants die to damping off in 5 gal bags. So I got new soil and started these in solo cups.
I could use some help figuring out why these are stunted and get them back on track. Thank you

4893F774-774B-4E62-B5C8-0B7DD733A678.jpeg

214B4DAF-2A65-4A70-A4CE-286422C0C075.jpeg

0F66DC45-5CED-4CB0-98CF-584D7F2394F9.jpeg

2BDF75C7-FCB7-451C-A841-82C51C2992BA.jpeg

ADCA1D7A-9FCC-49EB-AC40-96CCF4E6F3AE.jpeg

1EFD135C-1299-4529-8B73-53609CC9E822.jpeg

C8674DC4-EB09-4AE3-BAE8-EB7CFD15F80E.jpeg

Lights might not be it. I would think that if the lights were weak or wrong then the plants would start to stretch looking for something better.

It looks like the plants got to the first set of true leaves and stopped cold. Maybe some yellowing starting to show up now, but they are doing nothing for days on end. Even the types of plants (looks like it could be from the beet family) in the other cell packs which we can see at the bottoms of some of the photos have ground to a halt.

What is the medium the plants are in? Is it a coco coir or a peat moss or some sort of mix?

Lights might not be it. I would think that if the lights were weak or wrong then the plants would start to stretch looking for something better.

It looks like the plants got to the first set of true leaves and stopped cold. Maybe some yellowing starting to show up now, but they are doing nothing for days on end. Even the types of plants (looks like it could be from the beet family) in the other cell packs which we can see at the bottoms of some of the photos have ground to a halt.

What is the medium the plants are in? Is it a coco coir or a peat moss or some sort of mix?
I am in a store brand Seed Starter Mix for now (ill looat bag and report back). I didnt add anything to the soil at this point. Yes I had some lettuce and flowers growing and they seemed to stop as well. One type of flower has done ok but that is it.

Stop the vinegar. I get the feeling that you have stopped all growth, including roots by using it. There are more acceptable pH up and down products. Save the vinegar for an emergency with outdoor plants and not newly sprouted seeds.

There should be enough natural buffer in just about any store bought potting soil to get around a slightly alkaline or slightly acid soil to get the past the seedling stage.

Stop the vinegar. I get the feeling that you have stopped all growth, including roots by using it. There are more acceptable pH up and down products. Save the vinegar for an emergency with outdoor plants and not newly sprouted seeds.

There should be enough natural buffer in just about any store bought potting soil to get around a slightly alkaline or slightly acid soil to get the past the seedling stage.
I looked into it before I started the grow and people use us on autos but I will stop using it. I will order some ph down online.
Soil info in pictures

8DB8EB8E-8745-40FA-9A3D-81EC4B966DE0.jpeg

CF0587C6-383D-408C-A255-C95C89E0CD21.jpeg

Now that I am growing my second Auto, I am realizing that this slow start, as compared to photoperiod plants, is normal. It seems to be part of the deal when you are half related to a small shriveled up plant such as a Ruderalis that grows in the Northern latitudes. I am assuming that my Auto is doing well, even though it is growing painfully slowly in this first week... they all tell me it is normal for them to grow this way. I am being careful not to over water, and I can tell by the lightness of the cup that she is using some of the water in the soil, and probably is growing roots rather than showing off above the surface. This seems to be what a plant used to having to deal with cold temperatures and lack of light would have to do... build a strong base and then get to the growth above the surface. As a seasoned photoperiod grower, I can definitely see a difference with how this plant grows in the beginning. I see notes like yours all the time, and now I know why... it is normal for Autos. Keep the faith and stay patient... she will get on with things soon.

could just be runt genetics, I've had some autos even an occasional dwarf photoperiod that never grew more than a few inches
Each one of these are a different strain from 420. I heard auto are supposed to grow fast so when they stopped I started looking into it. All the pictures I found of autos around 10 days days old were huge. I’ll include some screenshots I found of 10-14 day old plants. Maybe these screenshots are from exceptional plants but it seems to be a normal size

3C639647-C299-4ABB-93BB-B57EC1772AC3.jpeg

72E0223B-70A1-461F-9CAA-AE17321C02F5.jpeg

C74665B6-2A6E-4DBB-9097-BD7F9B4D8341.jpeg

9381254D-77AA-4257-93E6-784FFE549860.jpeg

Here is a picture of the lettuce roots. No idea what I’m looking for

1C1F07BC-24D5-4B61-BBDC-2621D846466C.jpeg

to be honest the roots look healthy. So cannabis should be around the same...
Things you could look for in the roots is root rot, the color of a rotten root is brown slimmy dark you can tell right away something is wrong. If the root rots then the plant cant get oxygen from the root and that can stunt the growth of any plant. When the grow medium is too wet is a potential for root rot.

to be honest the roots look healthy. So cannabis should be around the same...
Things you could look for in the roots is root rot, the color of a rotten root is brown slimmy dark you can tell right away something is wrong. If the root rots then the plant cant get oxygen from the root and that can stunt the growth of any plant. When the grow medium is too wet is a potential for root rot.
Thank you for the help. I don’t see any odd colors on the roots so that’s a plus.

Back
Top Bottom