SeymoreNugget's DIY talk - Building lights - Sharing ideas

Ask fanleaf. His face almost fell off from sunburn

That can happen, yes. How long and how far he was from the light? I think 8 hours a day is good amount of UV.

In the name of the thread. Here is my first DIY led grow light. Well the first that worked. I tried to build one a year or so ago with those dodgy pink chips you get from China. And they burned up within a couple hours. Which I look at as. A lesson learned. Quality in. Quality out. Luckily it wasn't expensive. I was experimenting with laptop power supplys and DC converters.
Enough talk about my previous blunders. Here's a recent success.

LED Micro Grow. Round 2. E.1 DIY Cree XML2 LED array. - YouTube

Dirt Man Dan

"Sorry, stoner moment" lmfao

Dan has quite some skillz. His job, his growing, his video editing and he just seems like a nice dude to chill and build some durable LED fixtures with.

But Dan, are you shure you wouldnt be better with a 120mm fan on the heatsinks? I would recommend it blowing down and out of the box any way. 3W of Fans can save your light some lifetime when the shit hits the fan

That can happen, yes. How long and how far he was from the light? I think 8 hours a day is good amount of UV.
He has pretty intense lights of uvab and his lights burnt plants and face. I need to experiment with my lights and listen to the plants. I will introduce UVAB slowly during mid flower on a analog timer in 15min steps

He has pretty intense lights of uvab and his lights burnt plants and face. I need to experiment with my lights and listen to the plants. I will introduce UVAB slowly during mid flower on a analog timer in 15min steps

Sounds like a plan Seymore! I like it. :thumb::thanks:

On the cree Web site it states you will start to have failure if the cob gets over I think it 105 f or so don't remember exactly but it's there. In my case with the heat sinks I've noticed as long as you have oscillating fan blowing on it and air exchanging in room at correct rate there is about a 9 to 11 degree difference higher than light temperature on plants. So I keep mine at about 74 cobs are about 84. Just what I've noticed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Anyone know where to get 140mm fin pin heatsinks in Canada? I tried diy COBs dot ccom but they want $90 for 3 heatsinks plus $80 shipping
$150 is a little much for 3 heatsinks.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I am from eastern europe, no idea JimmyJames905.

Today my driver arrived. Unfortunatelly the seller sent me the wrong COB and forgot the Holder. He sent me a 90Cri instead of a 80Cri. Both are 4000K, see the difference?

420-magazine-mobile1122958987.jpg

Anyway, for now i just plugged the driver in. Using 6 Cobs for now. Every Chip running at 45W. Awesome temperatures

420-magazine-mobile939803112.jpg

I am from eastern europe, no idea JimmyJames905.

Today my driver arrived. Unfortunatelly the seller sent me the wrong COB and forgot the Holder. He sent me a 90Cri instead of a 80Cri. Both are 4000K, see the difference?

420-magazine-mobile1122958987.jpg

Anyway, for now i just plugged the driver in. Using 6 Cobs for now. Every Chip running at 45W. Awesome temperatures

420-magazine-mobile939803112.jpg

How big is your tent? I only ask because once you go over 1100 par/watts per square meter more CO2 becomes necessary.

You may need a MYCO bag.
I'm using 3 COBs driven at 75w each and my CO2 drops to 300ppm after an hour with the fan off and the tent sealed up. Using the CO2 generator brings it up to around 700ppm.
Atmospheric CO2 is around 440.
Just don't want to see you drop below atmospheric levels and harm your plants.

You may need a MYCO bag.
I'm using 3 COBs driven at 75w each and my CO2 drops to 300ppm after an hour with the fan off and the tent sealed up. Using the CO2 generator brings it up to around 700ppm.
Atmospheric CO2 is around 440.
Just don't want to see you drop below atmospheric levels and harm your plants.

This is a new one on me. Co2 can be added as a supplement at higher temperatures to help combat heat stress or as a supplement when using a LOT of light, but it has never been a necessity that I am aware of, could you quote your source? How exactly are you measuring your Co2 ppm? If plants are dying in indoor setups because of lack of Co2 it's usually down to not enough air exchange not the lack of a Myco bag, but I'm interested to know if there is any science behind your quote.

Your tent should never be fully sealed up, I'm not a fan of turning fans off ever, I run my air exchange 24/7. If you're turning off your exhaust fan and do not even have any air exchange at all in a fully sealed tent then your plants will die Myco bag or not :thumb:

Dan has quite some skillz. His job, his growing, his video editing and he just seems like a nice dude to chill and build some durable LED fixtures with.

But Dan, are you shure you wouldnt be better with a 120mm fan on the heatsinks? I would recommend it blowing down and out of the box any way. 3W of Fans can save your light some lifetime when the shit hits the fan

You tryin to get in my pants? Cuz thats how you get in my pants. lol
Thanks for the kind words. Ive always lived by the motto, "If I have to put my name on it, its gonna be the best I can do." and so far it has seemed to work for me.

as far as the fans go.. I really don't see a need to keep the LED's cooler than they already are. Im not lying in the video when I said I can lay my hand on the heat sinks for as long as I want. They do not get hot at all. the only thing I cant do.. is put the top of my finger (soft side) right on the LED lens. if I put my finger right next to it tho its cool enough for me to not be concerned. The heat sinks are plenty for what im doing. but i admire your concerns. dont wanna see all that hard work go to waste.:Namaste:

Maybe i will look out for it. How does it work in detail? I guess i will fire 300W at 18 inches and look what happens.

There's 3 cheap way go get CO2.
Good
Generate it with sugar, water and yeast.
4106e3b46f5b2a4284e81436eb50ac5d.jpg

Better
Buy a Myco2 bag, box or bottle.
1ea9c482b0261ae23384d8c7c757a79c.jpg

Best
Use a CO2 cylinder with a timed actuator valve.

On the cree Web site it states you will start to have failure if the cob gets over I think it 105 f or so don't remember exactly but it's there. In my case with the heat sinks I've noticed as long as you have oscillating fan blowing on it and air exchanging in room at correct rate there is about a 9 to 11 degree difference higher than light temperature on plants. So I keep mine at about 74 cobs are about 84. Just what I've noticed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I havent pulled out the expensive temp probe I have yet. but this seems to be about right.. without pulling any numbers off the heat sinks themselves. my box stayes between 72-74F and the heat sinks are hardly warm to the touch. Being as tho something has to be above a humans body temperature to register as hot. I'd say were in the clear lol.

After re watching that video.. I could totally drop a Co2 line in between my lights and let it rain on the plants. But you want a very low rate when you do this. Ive been told by people who use Co2 all the time.. you dont really want co2 at night when the fans are normally off. It can build up too much and become toxic to you. That and the plants cant use it without sunlight. the little bubblers should be ok.. but the tanks can get scary

My very first DIY COB fixture

This is a new one on me. Co2 can be added as a supplement at higher temperatures to help combat heat stress or as a supplement when using a LOT of light, but it has never been a necessity that I am aware of, could you quote your source? How exactly are you measuring your Co2 ppm? If plants are dying in indoor setups because of lack of Co2 it's usually down to not enough air exchange not the lack of a Myco bag, but I'm interested to know if there is any science behind your quote.

Your tent should never be fully sealed up, I'm not a fan of turning fans off ever, I run my air exchange 24/7. If you're turning off your exhaust fan and do not even have any air exchange at all in a fully sealed tent then your plants will die Myco bag or not :thumb:

Co2 is absolutely a necessity with plants. It's a primary factor in photosynthesis. It only combats heat stress because as a plant gets more light it requires more co2. Picture a runner running up a hill in Colorado. The higher he runs, the more oxygen he needs. He may have energy bars but without oxygen his body will not be able to use any stored energy.
My source is a BSc in BioChem with a second degree in BioMed technology.
Also I work for the 3 largest cannabis producers in Southern Ontario.
This is me.
ecd5f2ae58e9720ad7d9fb472c974a8e.jpg

CO2 is measured with a CO2 ppm meter. Both at floor and canopy height. Co2 is heavier than air so it "sinks" so the ground.
My tent is sealed. It evacuates from the top and has a CO2 intake by opening the vent flap on the floor (where co2 collects) 1/4 of the way. I have it timed so that the fan comes on for 15 minutes every hour in a half. This keeps my CO2 at the 800ppm range and then evacuates the whole tent, shuts down the fan and allows the tent to refill with CO2. This is a cyclical process every 75 minutes. Twice co2's atmospheric level suites my needs with around 40000+ lumens or approx 1200 PPFD/m2

Back
Top Bottom