Should I drain the run off from smart pots?

I am using 3 gallon fabric pots for 4 indoor autos. The pots are 10.5" wide at the bottom.
I have them each in a 12" wide plastic container that catches the run off. The run off sits for about a day until it is all absorbed as well.

Should I get rid of the run off? Should I let the pot sit in it until it is absorbed? It seems like this may cause mildew or keep the bottom too wet.

Would it be a good idea to put maybe 1-2" of gravel in each catch container so the pot does not sit directly in the water?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've always drained my runoff because I figure it contains all of the excess salts that were flushed out when the water passed through the soil.

Turkey baister works well.

I've always drained my runoff because I figure it contains all of the excess salts that were flushed out when the water passed through the soil.

Turkey baister works well.

Yes, they say it is not good to reuse or let your plants reabsorb the run off. The nutrient density and pH are usually way off on this runoff anyway so I also keep a turkey baster in my bloom tent, just for this reason. I like the idea of using stones in the drip trays to keep that fabric raised up off of the flat surface too and I think I will try that on my next smart pot grow.

Thanks very much, I will add a baster to the shopping list. I will also add some gravel. The plastic containers are about 4 inches deep, I will try adding 2" of gravel.

I have to run a humidifier in my room 24/7 so maybe if I can keep the run off water below the top of the gravel, it will help with the low humidity as well.

Thanks again, the help is so greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom