SIP Grow - Nutrient uptake Issues

NewBee157

Can anyone out there doing a SIP grow tell me if anyone has had any Issues with the Nutrients not being properly used by the plant from the bottom reservoir ... And has had to maybe topwater to get things moving along

20231129_215614.jpg

20231129_215513.jpg

they should be well into the res by the time they are that size.

are you running autos or photos ? they've entered flower and will be looking for a nute level matching their changing needs.

I’d put a bamboo skewer in the soil and let it sit for about 15 minutes then pull it and you should be able to read it like a dipstick. Hopefully it’s working otherwise may need to prime the pump via topwater

I grow in swicks NewBee same thing but different and yes imho it helps to top water periodically especially if there’s any top dress nutes or worm castings. I like using pump sprayer.

what nutes are you runnning? are you adding nutes via res? or nutes via top dress or is it just plain water in the res?

I’m going to shout at @Azimuth

Can anyone out there doing a SIP grow tell me if anyone has had any Issues with the Nutrients not being properly used by the plant from the bottom reservoir ... And has had to maybe topwater to get things moving along
I did when running a SIP in organic soil but didn't have the medium all the way to the bottom as I built it with hydroton clay balls to keep the soil out of the reservoir. My theory is that there weren't the microbes down there on that setup to deliver the nutrients.

That was solved by top fertigating which defeats the purpose of a SIP a bit, but I still do that once a week as I add top dressings of castings and malted barley so I like to keep the top mulch layer moist so the microbes can do their thing.

I've since changed how I fill the pot by having soil all the way to the bottom.

But, if you're using synthetics that shouldn't be an issue. As @bluter suggested maybe more (or different) nutes suitable for flower could help as they do look hungry and if they weren't getting fed all along the way they wouldn't look as good as they do.

Tell us a bit about your setup, soil, nutes, etc.

I’d put a bamboo skewer in the soil and let it sit for about 15 minutes then pull it and you should be able to read it like a dipstick. Hopefully it’s working otherwise may need to prime the pump via topwater

I grow in swicks NewBee same thing but different and yes imho it helps to top water periodically especially if there’s any top dress nutes or worm castings. I like using pump sprayer.

what nutes are you runnning? are you adding nutes via res? or nutes via top dress or is it just plain water in the res?

I’m going to shout at @Azimuth
The feed chart CM is cal mag M is Micro G is Grow and B is for bloom all ML per gallon of water PH'ed to the mid 6 range it seems the more i try to feed the worse the problem gets.. That why I was asking if anyone has had uptake Issues in SIP Grows.. The soil is Pro mix the one in the yellow and black bale ... Wal Mart stuff . I have grown a few Photos and have not had the problems that I have had with the autos .. on the feed chart 11/26 was like week 3 before that everything was fine as soon as i gave it it's first feed things started to go yellow ..As you can see i increased the nute's and the mare i gave it it seemed the worse the issues became ... I'm still learning it's only like my third grow both Photos have been pretty much no issues other than they got so frigging big .. I have tried tweaking things but it just gets worse .. Almost pulled them a week ago . But then said as long as there not dead I'm gonna throw water at them and see if I can figure this out ... as you can see from the pics it's gotten to be quite the mess .. Thanks for any help in advance.. And on 12/08 i dumped the reaviours and refilled with new nutes at 2 2 2 just to see if that helped ... it got worse

20231214_222318.jpg

20231214_221152.jpg

20231214_221044.jpg

20231214_221017.jpg

20231214_221025.jpg

dumping the reservoir and starting over sounds about right but apparently that didn’t fly. Hmm I’m not sure how ph works in SIPs with bottled nutes but kinda leaning towards saying just use plain tap or well water with your nutes and skip adjusting the ph however I’d feel much better if Azi gave that but a thumbs up or thumbs down

I’m running some real skanky assed water in my swicks, seriously it’s putrid, not saying you should try this but for some reason I just want to see how nasty it can get and still support a plant.

2-2-2 is not the right ratio as a stand alone fert and being in flower you need, rather she needs the PK boost. It’s time to throw the kitchen sink at her, seriously she’s chewing her own arms off trying to pop flowers out. Feed that chick, not familiar with your nutes but give the flower formula in full strength, don’t piss about this is the home stretch.

how old is the plant & what size container?

once you hit flower it’s real hard to steer out of a deficiency. Gee64 said it best…something like today I need serve up the stuff she will need 10 days from now.. probably slaughtered the quote but you get the idea.

youve got this under control, might not be a beauty queen but I’ve learned fugly chicks smoke just fine too. Remember damaged leaves do not recover, look for sign of recovery in new growth.
Yep just leave all that burnt stuff intact until it falls off naturally, she will suck them from green to brown and that’s cool too. Next time we hope to be ahead on feeding

just noticed that PH perfect on label, well if it’s already ph perfect then what the heck??

alright dude!

The feed chart CM is cal mag M is Micro G is Grow and B is for bloom all ML per gallon of water PH'ed to the mid 6 range it seems the more i try to feed the worse the problem gets.. That why I was asking if anyone has had uptake Issues in SIP Grows.. The soil is Pro mix the one in the yellow and black bale ... Wal Mart stuff . I have grown a few Photos and have not had the problems that I have had with the autos .. on the feed chart 11/26 was like week 3 before that everything was fine as soon as i gave it it's first feed things started to go yellow ..As you can see i increased the nute's and the mare i gave it it seemed the worse the issues became ... I'm still learning it's only like my third grow both Photos have been pretty much no issues other than they got so frigging big .. I have tried tweaking things but it just gets worse .. Almost pulled them a week ago . But then said as long as there not dead I'm gonna throw water at them and see if I can figure this out ... as you can see from the pics it's gotten to be quite the mess .. Thanks for any help in advance.. And on 12/08 i dumped the reaviours and refilled with new nutes at 2 2 2 just to see if that helped ... it got worse

20231214_222318.jpg

20231214_221152.jpg

20231214_221044.jpg

20231214_221017.jpg

20231214_221025.jpg
Overfed. To much sauce causing lockouts. How much are you feeding her? EC 470? Is that Microsiemens or ppm? EC will spike running SIP with synthetic salts as the plant drink water, you could mitigate this somewhat by keeping moisture/reservoir levels optimal.

You have severe N claw and toxicity and signs of potassium P and K def from minerals being out of range from excess.

Overfed. To much sauce causing lockouts. How much are you feeding her? EC 470? Is that Microsiemens or ppm? EC will spike running SIP with synthetic salts as the plant drink water, you could mitigate this somewhat by keeping moisture/reservoir levels optimal.

You have severe N claw and toxicity and signs of potassium P and K def from minerals being out of range from excess.
PPM

500 or 700 scale ?

470ppm is nowhere close to where you should be on either scale by now. you're well short and underfed if that is the case.

Advanced Nutrients M+G+B is meant to run with a lot of bloom boosters/additives in flower. With just the M+G+B you need to feed a lot more than you are.

I would suggest skipping the Cal-mag and use this (per gallon of nutrients): 15ml Micro, 10ml Grow, 15ml Bloom + 1.5g unscented epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). This gives you 145N-52P-221K-110CA-54MG-74S, which should get you through flower.

AN MGB Flower.png

BTW, I grow autos in SIP all the time and I always feed through the res without an issue. Happy Growing.

Advanced Nutrients M+G+B is meant to run with a lot of bloom boosters/additives in flower. With just the M+G+B you need to feed a lot more than you are.

I would suggest skipping the Cal-mag and use this (per gallon of nutrients): 15ml Micro, 10ml Grow, 15ml Bloom + 1.5g unscented epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). This gives you 145N-52P-221K-110CA-54MG-74S, which should get you through flower.

AN MGB Flower.png

BTW, I grow autos in SIP all the time and I always feed through the res without an issue. Happy Growing.
Ok so just so I'm Clear on this I should feed the the Above Nutes once and then just water thru the end of flower... Or I should feed the above nutes every time they get water which right now is like every 3-4 day usually a gallon of water for each plant ...I am going to do it tomorrow right after I get a small scale for the epsom salt ... The only stupid question is an unasked one .... My Dad :rolleyes: Wait is that even a word :lot-o-toke:

I am feeding about 400ppm on 500 scale and my plants are doing well there well into flower they are also autos I have 4 plants I had a little nute burn when I increased to 450ppm so I lowered it back down again some autos are really sensitive my plant bottom left really didn't like the increase in ppm here is my plants
IMG_20231215_211558 - Copy.jpg

Hmm I’m not sure how ph works in SIPs with bottled nutes but kinda leaning towards saying just use plain tap or well water with your nutes and skip adjusting the ph however I’d feel much better if Azi gave that but a thumbs up or thumbs down
Unfortunately I'm not able to offer any advice on that one as I not a synthetic nute grower. I do think with those however it is important to pH your solution. In an organic grow the microbes do that for us, but I'd think without them it would be important to have the proper (and lower than neutral) pH.

But, the other nute growers already here can advise on that.

Ok so just so I'm Clear on this I should feed the the Above Nutes once and then just water thru the end of flower... Or I should feed the above nutes every time they get water which right now is like every 3-4 day usually a gallon of water for each plant ...I am going to do it tomorrow right after I get a small scale for the epsom salt ... The only stupid question is an unasked one .... My Dad :rolleyes: Wait is that even a word :lot-o-toke:
I would feed-water-feed-water through flower.

Back
Top Bottom