SkooterClowns with power tools

Re: SkooterClowns with power tools...

OK looks like you guys are going to run semi permanent wires... I would use 12/2 romex. You guys could get away with 14 gauge but why? The bigger wire will run a little more resistance so it might up the amps by one amp... No biggie that way if you want to run a 30 amp 110 circuit later on you can do it with the same wire... If you intend to run 220/30 amp to room at some point I would run a extra romex wire of 10/3... And always pull one more circuit then you guys need! So if you think you need 1 pull 2 circuits... You clowns got any questions pm me! :peacetwo::goodluck: And if you only have room for one breaker you can run a split 20 amp that has two circuits in one breaker...

Hey guys I forgot, get the green ground pigtails with a screw in em, so all outlets go to the green wire romex from the main, then to the outlet and then screwed to the box... They have green wire nuts with a hole in em to make it easy... :cheer:

Hi Guys! Just moved back to Oregon and will be setting up a room for up to 24 plants (will be starting smaller than that at first).

Im completely knocked out by your successes at growing and plan on following/copying your grow.

I have some questions...

1 - Where can I find those Botanicare tubs (i googled and didnt find any stores that just sell those)

2 - I cant find your vent fan (searched aero-flo on google)

3 -What type of air pump did you buy and where can I get one?

4 - is the panda film available at home depot or lowes?

5 - can you show details of how you make your hydro setup?
( i cant believe those roots)
6 - Can you give the specific type of Nutes you use from general hydroponics?

Sorry for so many questions, But I am going out to buy as much as i can this weekend and Im a nOOb... actually this is my first post at 420... wOOt!

Im rreally cranked up on this grow and cant wait to get started.

thanks so much for any help

Jeff

Hi Guys! Just moved back to Oregon and will be setting up a room for up to 24 plants (will be starting smaller than that at first).

Im completely knocked out by your successes at growing and plan on following/copying your grow.

I have some questions...

1 - Where can I find those Botanicare tubs (i googled and didnt find any stores that just sell those)

2 - I cant find your vent fan (searched aero-flo on google)

3 -What type of air pump did you buy and where can I get one?

4 - is the panda film available at home depot or lowes?

5 - can you show details of how you make your hydro setup?
( i cant believe those roots)
6 - Can you give the specific type of Nutes you use from general hydroponics?

Sorry for so many questions, But I am going out to buy as much as i can this weekend and Im a nOOb... actually this is my first post at 420... wOOt!

Im rreally cranked up on this grow and cant wait to get started.

thanks so much for any help

Jeff

Hello Bendbender and welcome to 420magazine.com. If you've been lurking here for a while then you know this is a place full of GREAT and helpful people that love to grow and share their knowledge. Believe me, while slappy and I do ok there are a lot of folks here that know a whole lot more than we do.

That being said I'm going to attempt to answer your questions.

1. re: botanicare tubs: We got these from neHydro.com, Hydroponics and Gardening Supplies They are 22"x22"x7" tubs. We called them directly to order them after seeing them in a catalog. The folks there are GREAT to deal with. Tell them SkooterClown from 420magazine.com sent ya. They don't know who I am at all but what the hey....

2. The aero-fan was Slappy's find. He got it on ebay...he says he did a search for centrifugal fan and found it for about 89 bucks.

3. The air pump we also bought from nehydro and is this one: Air Pump DuraPump 950 gph

4. Panda film is not available at Lowe's or HD that I am aware. This is going to sound like I'm a shill for this site but the panda film was also purchased from nehydro. We ended up getting a 50' x 10' roll. Expensive to have shipped but when combined with everything else it was only 1 shipping charge at least.

5. Making the hydro set up is probably the easiest part of the process. Find a tub (we found that a tub that can hold ~1.25 gallons per plant works great). Make sure it is light tight. In the cover drill holes that will hold the size net cups you are going to use and add a smaller (maybe 2" hole) to use as a fill hole for when you want to top off the tub and can no longer lift the lid to do that (happens fast...trust me). You also want to remove the lid and drill a hole (or more depending on how many air stones you are going to use) near the very top edge of the tube. This is where the airline(s) will enter the tub and still allow you to full close the lid. Make sure the hole isn't any bigger than needed to feed the airline into it (again...light tight). Run the air line from the pump into the tub through the hole and connect it to the air stone(s). In a seperate bucket, mix your water (pH balanced first) with your nutes following the chart provided with the nutes. It is available online as well for you to print out. If you can't find it let me know and I can try to get you the file or link to it. Fill your grow tub with your water/nute mix and put your net cups in. Be sure that you cover the net cups/hydroton with a cover. We use the neoprene covers that are sold separately for the size net cups we use. This too is to prevent light from coming into the grow tub. Light in the water is VERY BAD. That's it really. Easy Peasy...

6. the GH nutes we use are the Flora series: FloraBloom, FloraGro and FloraMicro.

Things we have learned and use as well... we use hydrogen peroxide twice a week. Add it directly to the tub. Helps eat some bad stuff that grow in water grows (forget the name of the bad stuff) and helps keep the roots nice and healthy. Another thing we came to find out/believe. You can never have too much air pumped into the water. In our new set up we plan on having at least 4 12" air stones per tub. That's why we bought such a high output air pump.

I tend to star in an on&on show when I'm buzzed and typing so this may be long and confusing. Let me or Slappy know if you have any other questions about our specific set up and be sure to check out any and all of the other growers here at 420magazine.com. I am always learning from all of these people and can not stress enough how much knowledge they all have. Incredible wealth of information and they are ALL willing to help as well.

Oh...and let us all know when you start your grow so that we all can hound you on starting a journal. We all LOVE to see and learn from each other so pictures are mandatory ;)

:smokin: :welcome:

:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:

You guys... ARE MY HEROS!! LOL

thanks so much for the info... I was checking out NE Hydro all night getting my budget together.

I have been lurking for about 4 days before joining and watched/read through some of the grow journals. I was interested in using LEDs for vegetative and HID for flowering but have decided to stay with HID for everything (your last CFL grow convinced me).

You're right about the advice on the site... its almost too much to absorb and find a direction to grow with, but, After reading your grows i have come around to your way of thinking.

I have 3 more questions:

1 - How many plants are you planning on growing?

2 - what bulbs will you be using and for what growth stages?

3 - what size net cups do you recommend?

Im planning on a few mods from your build:

- planning on making a small catch basin on the bottom of the tents and putting wheels on it. the basin will be outside of the sides to allow for spraying the plants if needed

- Im deleting the PVC framework on the top and bottom, inserting the vertical supports directly into the wood (or a PVC socket) which allows for a fast breakdown if the landlord wants to come by.

- going to try 120MM PC fans for venting 2 in / 2 out per box

- experimenting with making a discreet exhaust manifold for my window that cant be seen from the outside (pics will be uploaded). not sure where Ill be drawing air from yet and if Im going to filter it. advice is welcome.

thanks again for the great information. I will likely document my grow as a nOOb grower and a parallel grow to yours... should be fun!

Jeff

:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:

You guys... ARE MY HEROS!! LOL

thanks so much for the info... I was checking out NE Hydro all night getting my budget together.

I have been lurking for about 4 days before joining and watched/read through some of the grow journals. I was interested in using LEDs for vegetative and HID for flowering but have decided to stay with HID for everything (your last CFL grow convinced me).

You're right about the advice on the site... its almost too much to absorb and find a direction to grow with, but, After reading your grows i have come around to your way of thinking.

I have 3 more questions:

1 - How many plants are you planning on growing?

2 - what bulbs will you be using and for what growth stages?

3 - what size net cups do you recommend?

Im planning on a few mods from your build:

- planning on making a small catch basin on the bottom of the tents and putting wheels on it. the basin will be outside of the sides to allow for spraying the plants if needed

- Im deleting the PVC framework on the top and bottom, inserting the vertical supports directly into the wood (or a PVC socket) which allows for a fast breakdown if the landlord wants to come by.

- going to try 120MM PC fans for venting 2 in / 2 out per box

- experimenting with making a discreet exhaust manifold for my window that cant be seen from the outside (pics will be uploaded). not sure where Ill be drawing air from yet and if Im going to filter it. advice is welcome.

thanks again for the great information. I will likely document my grow as a nOOb grower and a parallel grow to yours... should be fun!

Jeff

1. We will be growing a maximum of 6 plants per tub depending on the strain. We have at least one strain that is suppose to grow very vertical. That will be one of the ones we will do 6 of in a tub.

2. We have switchable ballasts so we will be using MH for vegetative cycle and HPS for flowering. They are both at 400W.

3. We use 4" net cups. It's what we've used from the beginning and they haven't stopped working for us so we haven't changed. They work great and are easily reusable.

Are you talking about the possibility of needing to spray the plants during veg and/or flowering? If so don't go through the trouble. Your plants roots will be sitting in water. The only time you will need to spray the tops is if you are trying to root clones. That's when spraying the leaves is important because the leaves are the only way they can absorb water and food.

Fast breakdown is not very realistic IMO. No matter how you set it up it will take a bit of time to break it down. The only real thing you can do is be sure that your landlord understands the law that, while he/she may own the property they have no legal right to just come in unannounced and without proper notice. At least in my state that is the law. You should check the law for your state/county/country.

My advise is to exhaust as high into the air as possible. I have tied into my dryer/bathroom vent and it vents outside above the ground level of my yard and of my neighbors. Highly recommend it if at all possible.

Looking forward to pictures and your journal.

:bravo:

Hey Clowns! First off a subject of great importance to all of us. I noticed your new self portrait Skooter (avatar) and I don't think it's fair to Slappy that you are now more handsome than he is? Just something that I had been losing hours and hours of sleep over lately! Please for the sake of all humanity get this taken care of soon.

Other important issues of concern:

I see that you have used my design of a tent with the use of PVC. Of course there are a few 'small' differences:

Use of more intelligence
Use of better materials
Use of superior technology
Use of more space
Use of a great ventilation system
Use of more efficient work ethics
Use of better design
Use of higher quality construction materials
Use of more effectual lighting

Now to the meat of it all! This is where my lawyers will have a field day!

Similarities in design:

Use of PVC cement

So if you guys continue to work in such an ingenious and industrious manner and refuse to change your ways, I will be forced to keep a very close eye on your project and will by all means comment and critique as I see fit!

Sincerely,
Mr Woodsman, CEO
Ajax Superior Systems (ASS)

:Rasta:

We cheated!

We have the same help they had in ancient Egypt when they built the pyramids and shit....Alien technology!

Wait till you see what's comin' next! A hint! Zippers! lol

As for a better lookin' avatar? In real life I'm one fugly sumbitch so I had to have a better lookin' avatar!

It's cool that you are gonna keep an eye on this Woody...It's fun to have the watchful eye of friends as we go through this.

We cheated!

We have the same help they had in ancient Egypt when they built the pyramids and shit....Alien technology!

Wait till you see what's comin' next! A hint! Zippers! lol

ITs funny this is what I imagine my plants singing every day. But since you mentioned zippers it just seemed even more be fitting..

"Zippity doo dah, Zippity aye,
My oh my what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine coming my way,
Zippity doo dah, Zippity aye. "

I am super jealous of the new digs BTW! you guys maybe some crazy clown but aint no clowning around when it come to your grows!

Woodsman, that's some funny shit...had me choking on my hit :smokin:

ItsChrome, thanks, we're really happy to have the old space back, it was really difficult these last grows in such a small box but with what we learned there should help us get some good yields from the new new tents...WOOHOOO!

Mule, thanks so much for the info. Yeah these lines will be permanent so we are planing on pulling two 12/2 lines then. This way we will have two 20amp circuits for the space.(we like overkill:slide:)

I think I understand about the pigtails, are you saying I should ground all the outlets directly to the green wire from the romex with the pigtails and not just to the grounded box, correct?

I don't think we will be needing 220/30amp and were just planning on the one dedicated GFCI'ed 110/20amp circuit to feed the rooms, based on the math I came up, with but figured we'd play it safe and just run two...

thanks for the help and please correct me if I'm wrong about anything...we will be pulling the wires tomorrow but holding off on the hook-up to the panel for now...we might have a buddy who is an electrician do the final hook-up but not sure if we'd have time to wait. I would rather he do the hook up to the panel but I think I can handle it.....

thanks again for the help...

Woodsman, that's some funny shit...had me choking on my hit :smokin:

ItsChrome, thanks, we're really happy to have the old space back, it was really difficult these last grows in such a small box but with what we learned there should help us get some good yields from the new new tents...WOOHOOO!

Mule, thanks so much for the info. Yeah these lines will be permanent so we are planing on pulling two 12/2 lines then. This way we will have two 20amp circuits for the space.(we like overkill:slide:)

I think I understand about the pigtails, are you saying I should ground all the outlets directly to the green wire from the romex with the pigtails and not just to the grounded box, correct?

I don't think we will be needing 220/30amp and were just planning on the one dedicated GFCI'ed 110/20amp circuit to feed the rooms, based on the math I came up, with but figured we'd play it safe and just run two...

thanks for the help and please correct me if I'm wrong about anything...we will be pulling the wires tomorrow but holding off on the hook-up to the panel for now...we might have a buddy who is an electrician do the final hook-up but not sure if we'd have time to wait. I would rather he do the hook up to the panel but I think I can handle it.....

thanks again for the help...

You need a ground from the romex to the outlet, and to the box to be ultra safe... Just as long as both are tied into that green from the romex your golden! If you think you can do just remember "work with one hand in your pocket" Don't touch any thing with 2 hands! Wear good rubber shoes. Don't get hurt man make sure the power if off... You guys can shut down the main and do it with a flash light but there is still power in that box!!! Unless it a sub panel the if that's case you got it made... You clowns are off the hook :peacetwo: :goodjob:

Mule, Thanks yet again...I understand what you are saying now.

Yeah, it's the main panel. I'll shut the panel down but I do realize that power is still going to the panel just not the circuits so I will be extra careful.

I guess I shouldn't do it with my big shoes on while standing in a puddle, huh..

The safest way for me to do it, l guess, would be to just have skooter do it and I'll direct him from a distance...:geek:

Thanks again for your help

hey hey clowns...

thanks for the response...

Went to the local grow shop today and they were a bit more than NE hydro... another one just opened 3 days ago and their prices look very good! Ill find out if they have a website if anyone is interested.

By spraying the plants I meant for treating mildew or bugs... just me over thinking my design.

I looked for a substitute tub like yours without really any success (lowes had something that might work but the top had "raised squares" on it so 4" net cups wont fly.

I found the botanicare 22x22x7 "propagation trays" and their corresponding lids.. Price is about $83.00

QUESTION>>> Did you get the plain lid and drill 4" holes in it? I noticed they have a lid with 9 - 5" holes.

As far as breaking down goes, I estimate it would be about a 3 hour ordeal to take everything out and more to reinstall. The management company are A-holes and will want to check the place (after 24 hour notice) out every 6 months or maybe once a year so I have to deal with it until the lease is up.

the good news is the grow room is on the second floor and the closest neighbor is about 100 feet upwind.

QUESTION>>>Do you think i need a charcoal filter?

thanks clowns... I was having a blast today shopping for everything. this is gonna be fun.

jeff

hey hey clowns...

thanks for the response...

Went to the local grow shop today and they were a bit more than NE hydro... another one just opened 3 days ago and their prices look very good! Ill find out if they have a website if anyone is interested.

By spraying the plants I meant for treating mildew or bugs... just me over thinking my design.

I looked for a substitute tub like yours without really any success (lowes had something that might work but the top had "raised squares" on it so 4" net cups wont fly.

I found the botanicare 22x22x7 "propagation trays" and their corresponding lids.. Price is about $83.00

QUESTION>>> Did you get the plain lid and drill 4" holes in it? I noticed they have a lid with 9 - 5" holes.

As far as breaking down goes, I estimate it would be about a 3 hour ordeal to take everything out and more to reinstall. The management company are A-holes and will want to check the place (after 24 hour notice) out every 6 months or maybe once a year so I have to deal with it until the lease is up.

the good news is the grow room is on the second floor and the closest neighbor is about 100 feet upwind.

QUESTION>>>Do you think i need a charcoal filter?

thanks clowns... I was having a blast today shopping for everything. this is gonna be fun.

jeff

We didn't buy the lids for it. We are going shopping today to pick out what we are going to use. We are going to see if we can get a piece of shower surround material. You know the stuff that the 3 wall showers are made of. Or maybe even some thin, yet non-clear, plexiglass and we will be cutting our own holes in whatever we find. The good thing about doing that is we can cut a few different tops with the location and number of holes we need...custom made! We plan on having tops for both tubs that have 4, 5, and 6 holes for the net cups. That way we have everything nice and neat and how we need it.

Ya the propagation trays we are using now were about $45 each without the lids. We got them from nehydro. They didn't have them in stock but ordered them for us. Give them a call. Even with shipping the price is much better than what you found.

I am knocking on wood the whole time I am typing this...we have had no bug, mold or other kind of, grow hurting problems at all. You "should" not need to spray for bugs or have any problems if you follow some basic rules. Keep your grow area CLEAN! Do not pump in air from outside. (hell the first time we grew in this same room the only air pumped into the room was from the AC register in the room and that was only during the summer and when I wasn't too cheap to run the AC). Never bring into your grow area any dirt or tools that were used in outside dirt. Do not let the humidity in your grow area get out of control. We begin taking serious corrective action as soon as we see the humidity rising. We never let it get above 50%. Make absolutely certain your grow tubs do not let ANY light reach the water.

I know the feeling about even just shopping for what you need. It's a lot of fun. Be sure you think everything through. Picture yourself building the room/tent/tubs and think in detail. As I've mentioned before...Slappy and I were raised in a "build it yourself" environment. When we do projects we don't jump in willy nilly. We plan and build it all in our heads about a thousand times and consider all the tools, material, and supplies we will need and try to be as prepared as possible. That way we minimize the surprises. There will always be surprises but they won't be stupid ones that "we should have thought of".

I can't say if you'd need a filter or not. I haven't needed one in the past but have plans to build one if the need arises during this grow. It all depends on your situation/location/environment. I do know there are a few DIY filter threads here at 420. We came up with our own, unproven, design and if the need arises will post it in a thread.

Yes...I've had a hit or two...I'm rambling. Have fun Bend. Keep us posted and good luck. We, and the whole 420magazine.com community are here for you if you have any questions etc. One more piece of advise...start your journal early on in the building process so that we can all follow and bug you about it. :smokin:

Update.

Look for more pictures later today. Slappy is coming over and we plan on getting most of the rest of the work done today.

That includes, completing the wrapping of the tents and sealing the walls of the tents. Installing "doors" to the tents and putting up the 2 interior walls including the ability to "eliminate" them so that it is one large grow tent if we ever need to have it set up that way for a "special" grow. Running the electric to the room and possibly hooking up the circuits to the panel (I need to figure out a way to get Slappy to stand in a bucket of water when he does that or at the very least to lick his hands real good first!).

We'll be cutting our reflectors so that we can hook up the exhaust ducting. Also mounting and connecting the exhaust fan.

Hopefully we'll find the material we need to make the cover for the tubs as well. We will be spending some time at Lowe's and/or HD today picking out that material.

I think Slappy found the manifolds for the air pump so that we may even be able to lay out the air lines to each room as well.

I think the clowns are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and it may not be a train!

on a side note...anyone else out there a Drive-By Truckers fan? I am wearing out their album "The Dirty South". Damn good, hard drivin', southern rock!

great advice thanks.

I WAS going to bring in outside air and Im so glad you told me not to.

For the lids, maybe white acrylic, seems that the shower surround is too flimsy.

humidity is low here but I will keep an eagle eye on it.

BTW no problem on the long posts... I really like the detail you give to your responses. it really helps when a mentor explains things.

thanks again...looking forward tot he pics.

Jeff

well Skooter was a bit ambitious (or HIGH) when he was talking about all we would get done today. But we did manage to move forward..

We ran out of flex ducting to complete the venting but we got the reflectors drilled an the flanges mounted to them.

We mounted the exhaust fan to the ceiling and ran a 2" intake into each tent and pulled the power lines.

Another day or so of construction should get'er done...things don't go as fast if you sample your goods before starting:smokin:

anyway, here are some pics..

DSC012782.JPG

DSC012802.JPG

That is all for todays build...It's 4:20 somewhere:roorrip:

any luck with finding something for the lids? Ive been scratching my head all day trying to figure that out.

I was thinking good quality plywood painted with marine-grade paint

damn... its past 4:20!

Hey bendbender, We haven't really had a chance to look to closely for the material to use for the tub tops yet.

We are lucky in that there are alot of plastic manufacturing places near us, we were thinking about checking a couple out to see if they have any material that might work for us.. We haven't ruled out Home Depot as we haven't had a chance to look there yet for something that might work.

We wouldn't even think of using any type of plywood or wood in general as the risk of mold is too great should the wood get wet...and it will get wet..
Not sure if the marine grade paint might have some sort of additive that would effect the plants so that would be a no go also (not worth the risk of losing the grow only to have to find another material, better to get it right the first time)

We'll let you know when we find something and where we got it so you can check it out and see if it will work for you..

Although we put alot of effort into our build we do it so that once we are up and running it will take as little work as possible to maintain....we like the grow part as simple as possible....

We usually only spend about 5-10min a day tending the garden and about a 1/2hr every other week or so to change the tub mix. We don't trim leaves, only tie them when absolutely necessary and never ever top a plant...

that's just the way we do'zit....:cheer:

Oh and BTW Skooter got the price on the tubs wrong, they were more like 80 bucks each....

It was a bit more than we wanted to spend just for the tubs but after getting our big mitts on them were happy we did.

They are very well made, They drain almost completely empty yet sit level on the tables, have a great lip to hold the top and are the perfect size. We should get years of use out of them and would buy them again in an instant..

that is all....for now...:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom