Some set up pics

Great job figuring that one out! I would've thought HydroFarm wouldn've dealt with that before. Hmm.
Yea, its strange that Hydrofarm couldn't figure it out. I actually called them back and told them what the problem was and how I fixed.

They are going to add it to their manuals and tech page so that if anybody else has the same problem, they know how to fix it!

Hopefully some good karma will come my way!

Thanks guys. I have a feeling its going to be a lot of trial an error the next few months. I love a challenge! Which leads me into my next problem......

I'm pretty sure I know what I have to do, but Ill fill you guys in, I need some feedback.

I'm getting some backdraft issues. If you look at the pictures of the ducting outside the tent, you can see that I have the light and main exhaust connect by a T, then they get vented outside. The fan for the lights its always on as long as the lights are on, and I have the exhaust fans set to come on for 20 mins, off for 30. (Still messing with those time, but that is not the problem)
I am having a few issues. When the main exhaust is off, I'm getting the air from the lights pushed back through to the carbon filter and back into the tent. This is causing #1- a temp problem because its recycling hot air and the temp rises quick #2-Positive pressure inside the tent which is pushing the smells inside out, and I don't want that.
I can't have the exhaust fan running all the time because I will be using CO2 and don't want to waste it by sucking it right out the tent. There are two solutions I see. Either split the light exhaust and main exhaust into two separate vents, or put a damper on the main exhaust ducting before the T to lessen the blow back.

What do you guys think?

I agree with kubalibre53. The only other option I could see is a vent with a back flow blocker on it. Like the one used on the dryer vent on the outside of the house. It has a flap that closes when the dryer is off so wasps and bugs don't enter the house through the opening. It would have to be placed before the tubing hits the tee so that no back flow comes back in. Does that make sense.

either of the 2 will work I prefer seprate myself

Well, after talking to my buddy who does HVAC, he said the same thing. He said that spliting the systems is a better way to go because the dampers don't seal the duct 100%.

SO, tonite, I will be pulling down my tarps, pulling the tent out and working on getting the systems split. What a freakin pain. I thought I had it all worked out, but now im gonna have to pull some of the IR Blocker off the wall around the window so I can cut out a new hole for vent #2.

Also, I keep tripping the breaker that my lights and fans are on. Im going to have to wire myself a new box and dedicate it to only the garden. RRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

I agree with kubalibre53. The only other option I could see is a vent with a back flow blocker on it. Like the one used on the dryer vent on the outside of the house. It has a flap that closes when the dryer is off so wasps and bugs don't enter the house through the opening. It would have to be placed before the tubing hits the tee so that no back flow comes back in. Does that make sense.

Yes it does. My only concern with the dampers is that it might malfunction hanging vertically.

Since your light is sealed and the fan basically pushes air over the bulb for cooling, you could probably get by with the secondary system not needing a filter. Isn't that something how the light guys couldn't solve your problem, sounds like allot of tech companies I have to deal with; software blames the hardware, hardware blames the software, on and on...

Thanks Toker69. I will be following your How to Make Feminized Seeds with Colloidal Silver. Such a good idea to save mega cash!

Im going to add your journal to my signature so others can check it out!

Happy Growing!!!!!

C1, as miffed as you are now, imagine trying to resolve this issue while you are in the middle of a grow. While it can be a PITA, personally, I would rather discover and fix something like this when you have the time and lack of urgency that a grow would place on things. Good luck and let us know how it works out. BTW, I think that you are doing the right thing by separating the two ventilation systems.

Since your light is sealed and the fan basically pushes air over the bulb for cooling, you could probably get by with the secondary system not needing a filter. Isn't that something how the light guys couldn't solve your problem, sounds like allot of tech companies I have to deal with; software blames the hardware, hardware blames the software, on and on...

Thats 100% right. Seeing how the fan is pushing air over the lights ( Positive pressure ) and not pulling ( Negative pressure ), any small air leaks in the lights will be shot into the tent. If I was pulling the air over the bulbs, I would definitely need another filter to catch the smells that the lights would pull into the system.

Im going to lowes after work to get the vents, ducting, and all the electrical stuff I need to run some new lines. Hopefully I can get this done in a day or two.

C1, as miffed as you are now, imagine trying to resolve this issue while you are in the middle of a grow. While it can be a PITA, personally, I would rather discover and fix something like this when you have the time and lack of urgency that a grow would place on things. Good luck and let us know how it works out. BTW, I think that you are doing the right thing by separating the two ventilation systems.

Thanks CH. Your right. At least I have some time to work out the kinks. Finding them now with just a few seeds in the tent isn't as bad as having to fix it when I have ladies flowering......
I think thats the best way to do it. Splitting the systems will be better in the long run.

Update:
I was able to split the systems last night. It did make a big difference in the back flow, there is not as much pressure n the tent. But im still gettin some air leaking from the lights and it is still keeping the tent blown up like a balloon. There is only one other thing I can do. Im going to have to turn the fan around and suck the air over the lights. Now Im going to have to get another filter to catch those smells before I vent them out. Is there such a thing as an inline filter? Meaning can I just cut the duct and splice it in there? If I get another Carbon filter, I wont be able to vent it outside, Ill be forced to vent into the basement.

For what I paid for the lights, They should be freakin sealed like a seal lions asshole. Think I should try and seal the lights better?

Update 2:
It has been 4 days since I started the germination process. Last night, I saw one small root of the Juicy Cronic popping out of the RW. I opened the tent this morning to find the Cronic had sprouted, and also the Northern Lights! WOOOHOOOOO! Here we go. Now I just gotta get this ventilation problem solved before I put the ladies into the Hydro system....
northern_lights_auto.jpg
cronic_2.jpg
cronic_1.jpg

Update:
I was able to split the systems last night. It did make a big difference in the back flow, there is not as much pressure n the tent. But im still gettin some air leaking from the lights and it is still keeping the tent blown up like a balloon. There is only one other thing I can do. Im going to have to turn the fan around and suck the air over the lights. Now Im going to have to get another filter to catch those smells before I vent them out. Is there such a thing as an inline filter? Meaning can I just cut the duct and splice it in there? If I get another Carbon filter, I wont be able to vent it outside, Ill be forced to vent into the basement.

For what I paid for the lights, They should be freakin sealed like a seal lions asshole. Think I should try and seal the lights better?

What if you had the intake for the first light come from outside the tent, then connect one light to the next and then attach the fan so that it is sucking the air from outside the tent, through both lights and out. The Raptor 6 literature states -

"Fully Gasketed & Sealed Lens

Created by the Lighting Science Institute, the Raptor’s precise construction makes it virtually airtight, meaning more heat is transferred out of the room via the 6” or 8” flanges"

There should no air leaking into the lights from the tent so there would be no odor issues at all with this setup and therefore no need for another carbon filter.

Back
Top Bottom