Some set up pics

What if you had the intake for the first light come from outside the tent, then connect one light to the next and then attach the fan so that it is sucking the air from outside the tent, through both lights and out. The Raptor 6 literature states -

"Fully Gasketed & Sealed Lens

Created by the Lighting Science Institute, the Raptor’s precise construction makes it virtually airtight, meaning more heat is transferred out of the room via the 6” or 8” flanges"

There should no air leaking into the lights from the tent so there would be no odor issues at all with this setup and therefore no need for another carbon filter.

The Air for the lights is being drawn from outside the tent right now. I have it set up just the way you said. The main problem is the leaks in the lights. There is 2 solutions, either reseal the lights or suck the air over the lights to create a negative pressure.
Im just not sure how I will be able to vent that air outside if there is a carbon filter at the end of the duct.

Here are some sketches of how the tent is now, and what I think I have to do.
tent55.jpg
tent216.jpg

Hummm don't know much about this at all, but maybe adding an inline fan after the lights might help deflate your tent.

Problem is the light seals. Even with another fan to help move the air, it still escapes into the tent from around the seals and blows the tent up

Guys, I think I found my solution. Im going to suck the air over the lights, install this inline filter before the vent, and fix this problem once and for all.

Check it out and let me know if you think this will work

( Sorry about the link, I know you dont like none sponsers, but i need advice!)

PC11899-lg.jpg

Its for the air before it gets sucked in, but it should work the opposite way right? Blowing air through it just like the carbon filter we use

The reason you are having air leaking from the lights is that they were probably designed to hold their seal under negative pressure. You are increasing the pressure by blowing air through the lights rather than sucking air from the lights and that force is breaking the seal just a little bit. if you reverse the flow and suck the air out rather than blowing the air in I doubt you will need a carbon filter.

Guys, I think I found my solution. Im going to suck the air over the lights, install this inline filter before the vent, and fix this problem once and for all.

Check it out and let me know if you think this will work

( Sorry about the link, I know you dont like none sponsers, but i need advice!)

PC11899-lg.jpg

I really think that this filter is not necessary once you suck the air out rather than blowing the air through the lights.

Alright CH. Thanks man. Ill reverse the flow and see how it works. I wont be able to tell if any smells are getting drawn out until the ladies start to stink. Ill hold off on the filter until then.

Thanks a lot guys. This is driving me crazy!

You can do a cursory check of the perimeter of the glass using an incense stick or punk stick, anything that emits a little smoke. While the fan is on, go around the perimeter of each light with the lit stick to see if there is any smoke being drawn in by the lights. That should put your mind at ease once and for all and then you can forget all about needing another carbon filter! ;) ;)

Thanks again CH. I just grabbed some incense from my store. I'll be doing that tonight!

Thanks again CH. I just grabbed some incense from my store. I'll be doing that tonight!

One more thing while you're at it, I would check all of the connections as well to make sure they are not leaking any air into your light ventilation system.

One more thing while you're at it, I would check all of the connections as well to make sure they are not leaking any air into your light ventilation system.

Well. I reversed the air flow and eliminated the feedback into the tent. Now that I have negative pressure in there, I dont need to worry to much about smells escaping. I walked around the lights with an incense and found a few leaks around the seal. It's not to bad, but I have a feeling I might end up needing that Inline Filter. Ill hold off until the ladies start to smell so I can see exactly what is escaping.

Thanks for all the help guys. Check that one off the list for now. Now its time for me to get the new electrical boxes hooked up and to get the second vent hole cut, then install the vent for the exhaust. That will be my weekend project. In the mean time, Ill start to play around with the Hydro System and see how thats going to work.

Updates to follow.

Quick question guys.
How close should my 600 Watt MH light be the humidity dome? Right now its about two feet from the plants. The temp is around 77-80 and the humidity is around 60-70 percent. Is that ok? Im asking because it looked like the Chronic seedling leaves were wilting a little. Sort of pointing down towards the ground. I don't want to kill my babies! What should I do?

Thanks Guys, Ill lift the light a little when I get home.

Yea jaamzhow, I didn't think I would run into so may problems with the ventilation, but in the long run this will make better at growing. It also provides me with info I can share to others in the same mess.

The main reason I am using the dome is to keep the humidity high. If I dont use it, the ambient humidity is around 35%. I have read that is to dry for the ladies.

Alright Gents, I got my Hydroponics set up and running. Its got a huge, 15 gallon basin. I found a few leaks around the drainage tubes. A little tightening and that problem was fixed.
I left both lights with the cooling fan on and hydroponics pump and oxygen pump on over night to see what the max temp in the tent would be. I did not have the intake and exhaust on. It maxed out at 81 degrees with 40 % humidity. Perfect!!
The only problem I have now, is the water temp in the hydroponics got warm. Right around room temp. Whats the best way to fix that? A water chiller with adjustable thermostat? Or is 80 degree water ok?
sf1.jpg
sf2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom