Starting Autoflower Seeds In 3 Coco Coir Plantable Pots?

Hap Hazard

420 Member
Has anyone used Coco Coir “Plantable Pots” filled w/substrate (70/15/15 Blk Gold/Perlite/Organic Coco Coir in my case)
to start Autoflower seeds, then after they get going place the cc pots directly into the final pot? When I hold these little plantable pots up to the light you can see they have lots of air space going through. So I’m thinking the roots should grow easily through them. (tho I did read on the product website that container must be planted in soil before roots would penetrate the pot.) Mainly wondering if the roots would find penetrating through the cup something they would not like or if they would just not be bothered by it and grow on. The reason I am considering this is for ease of transplant. Also space. The area I want to start these 12 would be too small to start everything in the final container, but not for 3”w x 3”tall plantable pots. My hope is when they’re ready to go into final pot outdoor temps will be right for the 12 to then go outside.
Thx friends ✌️

I haven't used the coco version, but my experience with the peat version hasn't been super great. They are fine for starter pots, but the problem with them is that in order to biodegrade as they claim it will, it has to be very wet, for a fairly long time.... wetter than any plant I've ever started in them wanted to be.

So, it comes down to .... will the roots make their way thru it eventually? Yes.
Will it slow or stop the roots - Not really, at least not at first, but you end up later with a pocket of something that isn't your soil mix right at the base of your plant, which can sometimes make the plant a bit unhappy, as it holds water differently than the soil itself.

Basically I use them the same way I would use a plastic starter, but I remove the plant (soak it well for about 15-30mins before removing if you do it, some roots can attach to it) either completely, or at least take the bottom off before up-potting.
I do like them better than plastic in some cases, like I know there won't be any residual anything in them since they are new each time. But really, I reach for the solo cups (with holes for drainage) before I reach for the little bio-pots almost every time now.

Thx, some good points here. I was wondering if I was making it harder then it should be. I’m subject over thinking sometimes 🙄. My idea was just to gain a bit of a head start, but now I’m thinking I’ll just wait a bit longer and plant the germ’d seeds directly to the medium in theses new RainScience 3gl. Autopots that they’re making now in early May directly outside domed w/my clear plastic vented solo cups till they get going.
I appreciate all the help and advice you folks kindly share. Freak Freely ✌️

I'd never heard of them so I looked them up.
Sueet is right that the peat version isn't great for cannabis, and they tend to get mouldy really quickly.
I used a peat version for hot peppers years ago that had a hole in the bottom, and when I dug up the rootball the pot was still there and the roots had gone through the hole. None of them had been able to penetrate the peat.
I'd suggest you try one out on a pepper or tomato plant first.
They claim to allow air pruning of the roots like fabric pots. If that's true then they would be better at allowing the roots to grow through when planted than peat pots.

I've used the coco pots countless times and they do disintegrate when you plant them [the minute you see white root tips poking through], no problem and it does save the bother of 'transplanting' into bigger pots because you can just chuck 'em straight in
Another member told me that some of the NA peat ones are hard - the coco ones go soft as wet paper towel and do not hinder the roots at all
Not sure if that helps :hookah: lol

The reason I am considering this is for ease of transplant.
When tails are about 1/2" long, I plant into 2" square nursery pots. I have a custom sprouting mixture consisting of my custom grow mix* w/ nutes, cut with addition coco coir and perlite. (*I also sift it through 1/4" screen.)

I let the seedlings get about 3-4" tall, then transplant into 1 gal pots, burying the stem so about 1" is showing above the soil. This is a delicate transfer, but very doable. This is a very successful method for me.

EDIT: I grow photos only, but if you are careful, there's no problem up potting autos from 1 gal to final pot size. For example 1 gal to 5 gal... wait until the plant is 1 ft to 18" tall in the 1 gal, wait until soil is dry, invert the pot in one hand (cupping the plant and soil with your hand) and give it some slaps on the bottom with the other hand until the plant and root ball (intact soil and roots) come loose into your hand. Have your 5 gal pot ready with soil, with space to accomodate the 1 gal root ball. Good to add some myco in the hole, and wet it down.

seedlings1-jpg.2611341

I agree with the above posters regarding peat pots. I started an auto in one a couple months ago, drilled numerous 1/4” holes ,wet the damn thing real well planted in soil. Grew well fer bout 6 weeks, now looks like crap. Thinking the roots failed to grow out of the peat cup properly during the critical growing period fer Auto’s. @Sueet you are so right , the amount of water it takes to soften them will kill most plants. Was thinking that maybe I should drill bigger holes , then changed mind and threw the damn things away, maybe they will disintegrate at the landfill !
:rofl:

I've used the coco pots countless times and they do disintegrate when you plant them [the minute you see white root tips poking through], no problem and it does save the bother of 'transplanting' into bigger pots because you can just chuck 'em straight in
Another member told me that some of the NA peat ones are hard - the coco ones go soft as wet paper towel and do not hinder the roots at all
Not sure if that helps :hookah: lol
Hey @Roy Growin do you place the coco pot inside a similar sized plastic pot during the germination process ? Thank you.
:passitleft:

Has anyone used Coco Coir “Plantable Pots” filled w/substrate (70/15/15 Blk Gold/Perlite/Organic Coco Coir in my case)
to start Autoflower seeds, then after they get going place the cc pots directly into the final pot? When I hold these little plantable pots up to the light you can see they have lots of air space going through. So I’m thinking the roots should grow easily through them. (tho I did read on the product website that container must be planted in soil before roots would penetrate the pot.) Mainly wondering if the roots would find penetrating through the cup something they would not like or if they would just not be bothered by it and grow on. The reason I am considering this is for ease of transplant. Also space. The area I want to start these 12 would be too small to start everything in the final container, but not for 3”w x 3”tall plantable pots. My hope is when they’re ready to go into final pot outdoor temps will be right for the 12 to then go outside.
Thx friends ✌️
@Hap Hazard and @Roy Growin , to HH tx fer starting this thread and RG fer yer input. After seeing this thread I ordered a Dozen 4” Coco pots that ended being delayed a # of weeks. So I purchased a few 3” coco pots at a local garden center. At first I was not impressed with the pots as I thought they were more solid than I had anticipated. A couple years ago I had sum Auto Seeds I had mistaken fer Female seeds lol. You all know what happened then lol :rofl: .Well I used 1 of em seeds fer the 3” Coco Pot. ATM the plant is progressing as normal. In fact I have an Auto that I started in its final pot at the same time and both plants are similar in growth rate. No doubt that plant would be experiencing problems if the roots have not escaped the Coco Pot. I had planted the Coco Pot as soon as the seed fully germinated , standing up with wings unfolded, so I never waited fer the lil roots to be seen. Well this last Saturday I received my 12 pack of Coco Pots, I was impressed with the amount of light emmiting through em. So I started a SeedStocker Gorilla Cookies in one of em pots:). Thanks again fellas, been looking a long time fer a easier way of transplanting these …… Will post final results.
:thumb::adore:

@Hap Hazard and @Roy Growin , to HH tx fer starting this thread and RG fer yer input. After seeing this thread I ordered a Dozen 4” Coco pots that ended being delayed a # of weeks. So I purchased a few 3” coco pots at a local garden center. At first I was not impressed with the pots as I thought they were more solid than I had anticipated. A couple years ago I had sum Auto Seeds I had mistaken fer Female seeds lol. You all know what happened then lol :rofl: .Well I used 1 of em seeds fer the 3” Coco Pot. ATM the plant is progressing as normal. In fact I have an Auto that I started in its final pot at the same time and both plants are similar in growth rate. No doubt that plant would be experiencing problems if the roots have not escaped the Coco Pot. I had planted the Coco Pot as soon as the seed fully germinated , standing up with wings unfolded, so I never waited fer the lil roots to be seen. Well this last Saturday I received my 12 pack of Coco Pots, I was impressed with the amount of light emmiting through em. So I started a SeedStocker Gorilla Cookies in one of em pots:). Thanks again fellas, been looking a long time fer a easier way of transplanting these …… Will post final results.
:thumb::adore:
Definitely easier with no mucking about with transplanting a young root ball
I use an empty pot and plant it where I want the plant so I can just chuck/firm in compost [or coco] around it, then gently pull the dummy pot out, leaving the perfect hole to just drop the new one in
All you have to do is water it in

I been doin the same. I got a 18 plant perpetual goin, have plenty of cannabis so I gave the insta transplant solo cups a shot again, same thing fill dirt around cup and pull out. The insta cups work but I definitely lost sum quantity with the harvest. Seed to final pot is best, but when ya got a seed that wants to be a pain, helmet head or whatever ya gotta redo yer pot again if ya want moist soil fer ya new seed. These 4” Coco pots are a lil expensive but the 3” are much cheaper. If this works out I have no problem using the 3” since I immediately plant the pot once seed is fully germinated. Happy Growin Roy :rofl: I’m stoned.

I been doin the same. I got a 18 plant perpetual goin, have plenty of cannabis so I gave the insta transplant solo cups a shot again, same thing fill dirt around cup and pull out. The insta cups work but I definitely lost sum quantity with the harvest. Seed to final pot is best, but when ya got a seed that wants to be a pain, helmet head or whatever ya gotta redo yer pot again if ya want moist soil fer ya new seed. These 4” Coco pots are a lil expensive but the 3” are much cheaper. If this works out I have no problem using the 3” since I immediately plant the pot once seed is fully germinated. Happy Growin Roy :rofl: I’m stoned.
:hookah:

Update:
Starting over. We had an unexpected dip down to under 45° overnight at end of 1st wk after sprout - they all stunted and stopped.
This time I used Coco expandable seed plugs like the pete ones. They expand out taller than the pete ones do - almost 3” tall x 2” wide. 2 days after successful germination planted them in my RainScience Auto pots w Roots Organic w/a little added pumice mixed in. I wanted to use Big Rootz by Soil King but that’s another story w/manufacturing delay (next round). Looking fwd to the magic. ✌️

Back
Top Bottom