Stealth - Soil - HID - Smart Pot - SCROG - GDP - First Grow

Re: Stealth, Soil, HID, Smart Pot, SCROG, GDP - First Grow

HempRocket, have you trimmed a lot in your grows? What has the result been in regards to growth and bud development? Everything I read says not to trim...but..shit I don't know.

:Namaste:

See I live in a very dry cold climate and we don't have to worry about powdery mildew too much. It's very different from living on the coast. I know many guys trim their girls very aggressively with no ill effects. Better to trim than lose your crop to mold! Just my 2 cents.

See I live in a very dry cold climate and we don't have to worry about powdery mildew too much. It's very different from living on the coast. I know many guys trim their girls very aggressively with no ill effects. Better to trim than lose your crop to mold! Just my 2 cents.

That me... I'd trim the shit out of them. All you do is extend you time to harvest by a bit...I also trim to get the tichs to go cloudy or amber.

Yes they do slow down a bit, but then again production time doesn't matter to me at all.
I might have mentioned tiered harvesting... Well that means a plant might be in 12/12 for 4-5 months. I might cut on her every day for a few weeks then wait a month... and cut on her more.

Your setup is stable so I am willing to bet you won't even add a week trimming on them.

GF24,
I'm just tuning in for your latest update...so I'll contribute my opinion FWIW...
I think you did the right thing in trimming the underbrush.
I'm not an experienced INdoor grower, but I've grown outdoor vegetable and medicinal plants, and I have come to believe that most people do not appreciate just how thick and bushy a good Indica strain can be until they have grown it themselvs.
I expect you will trim again in a few weeks.

The newbie.....Jessica....you know it has to go, and yet you don't want to dispatch it before it's time...
Butter and then brownies on a rainy day would be good.
:peacetwo:

GF24,
I'm just tuning in for your latest update...so I'll contribute my opinion FWIW...
I think you did the right thing in trimming the underbrush.
I'm not an experienced INdoor grower, but I've grown outdoor vegetable and medicinal plants, and I have come to believe that most people do not appreciate just how thick and bushy a good Indica strain can be until they have grown it themselvs.
I expect you will trim again in a few weeks.

The newbie.....Jessica....you know it has to go, and yet you don't want to dispatch it before it's time...
Butter and then brownies on a rainy day would be good.
:peacetwo:

It's only been in flower a couple weeks, think it's got any potency?

Welcome to the continuing saga, "Humidity Hospital".....

So my system is set up with two box exhausts and one intake. Then there is a separate system of intake and exhaust for the light. The intake, one of the exhausts and the light intake and exhaust are setup on a thermal controller that flips the fans on when the temps got up there then brings them back down.

I've disconnected the box intake, hooked it straight up to a power source and now it runs 24/7. The other box exhaust is running 24/7. I just installed another carbon filter on the exhaust that is running, now, off the thermal controller. Tomorrow, I'm disconnecting that, connect it to the speed controller of the 24/7 box exhaust and it will run 24/7 as well.

So I'll have the intake and two box exhaust with carbon filters running 24/7.

The only thing that will be on the thermal controller will be the light intake and exhaust which makes sense.

When I connected the intake directly to the power source, it added speed to the fan....that shouldn't happen but..did. What that has done is cool down the box a lot. Surprising but that was the result.

With both exhausts running 24/7 and the intake running 24/7, that should give me loads of ventilation. The only way to improve that is to add more exhaust fans, a possibility for sure I have two open connections off the thermal controller and funny..I have two more fans!

I wouldn't be surprise if the damn thing picked up and flew away with so many fans.

I also added an additional fan that kicks on with lights off. I've got a 14" tower oscillating fan, one 6" fan and one 4" fan. I've got one high speed intake and two box exhausts running 24/7. With lights on, the rh inside the box is lower than outside the box.

I don't think I can do better than that. It's lights off that fucks me. We'll see in the morning.

Question: Do you think the hempy bucket with standing water in the bottom of it affects the rh? Dumb question??

Given all of this, do you think a dehumidifier is going to do any good at all?

Ciao!!

Hey Giantsfan!! Sorry its taken me a little while. But ive finally kind made it around to coming on in here. Im still catching up, but on this topic, o trimming, i would ike to throw around a couple of my opinions...

I am currently on my third grow. And I have changed up the style and and my entire setup due to my last two grows... The part of this that is relative to your issue, is that my first grow, he majority of what i had read what to let the plant grow naturally. Dont trim, and to let it bush and love life without the stress of trimming. I was very pleased with my harvest, but i noticed that the buds at the top were much more developed and full than the buds at the bottom. There was a guy around here for a while Mcbudz who did exactly what McCrackin was talking about. Cutting off the top portion of the plant. Letting the middle finish, cutting it. Then letting the bottom finish. Essentially 3 harvests. If time is not an issue, definitely go that way if your thinking of not trimming. The amount o energy spent trying to grow the underdeveloped buds in the undercanopy will really disappoint you..
My second grow, I tried a bit of experimenting, by trimming one plant full lollipop. The Next half way, And the next letting it grow without any trimming at all. (by the way all of my plants were LSTd and suppercropped) Again, after the harvest. I was most disappointed by the untrimmed plant. The bottom buds where simply undeveloped while the top colas were smaller in volume than the colas of the lollipopped and even the halfway trimmed plants..
This grow around I will be trying to trim my plants aggressively, and more of a sog stye. Where as your in a scrog...

Regardless. I am subscribed to this journal. Good work!!! I cant wait to see the GDP a little later into flowering sir!!

Hey Giantsfan!! Sorry its taken me a little while. But ive finally kind made it around to coming on in here. Im still catching up, but on this topic, o trimming, i would ike to throw around a couple of my opinions...

I am currently on my third grow. And I have changed up the style and and my entire setup due to my last two grows... The part of this that is relative to your issue, is that my first grow, he majority of what i had read what to let the plant grow naturally. Dont trim, and to let it bush and love life without the stress of trimming. I was very pleased with my harvest, but i noticed that the buds at the top were much more developed and full than the buds at the bottom. There was a guy around here for a while Mcbudz who did exactly what McCrackin was talking about. Cutting off the top portion of the plant. Letting the middle finish, cutting it. Then letting the bottom finish. Essentially 3 harvests. If time is not an issue, definitely go that way if your thinking of not trimming. The amount o energy spent trying to grow the underdeveloped buds in the undercanopy will really disappoint you..
My second grow, I tried a bit of experimenting, by trimming one plant full lollipop. The Next half way, And the next letting it grow without any trimming at all. (by the way all of my plants were LSTd and suppercropped) Again, after the harvest. I was most disappointed by the untrimmed plant. The bottom buds where simply undeveloped while the top colas were smaller in volume than the colas of the lollipopped and even the halfway trimmed plants..
This grow around I will be trying to trim my plants aggressively, and more of a sog stye. Where as your in a scrog...

Regardless. I am subscribed to this journal. Good work!!! I cant wait to see the GDP a little later into flowering sir!!

Being my first grow, I think I'm a little tentative with some things out of fear of self induced damage to my plants. I put so much time into making sure the box was right that to kill them by my own hand, I've not had ANY success indoors in my past, would have just sucked.

Flushing scared me...my friends here just said "do it!" and afterward I was so glad that I did.

Maybe trimming is the same way. I'll go easy on it perhaps a little every week. I had thought that lolipopping would be cool and scrog'ing looked cool too although I didn't have room for it in my box.

I'm afraid to open my box this morning...

Trimming it is. I started yesterday. + reps to you and McCrackin for turning me over to the Dark Side!! ;)

Hey GF24, I usually grow 8 plants, I have was given 4 more and I shoudn't have taken them because now I have a little over crowding. I do not think more fans will help, it must be a huricane inside your tent. :bongrip: The rain sucks for humidity

Hey GF24, I usually grow 8 plants, I have was given 4 more and I shoudn't have taken them because now I have a little over crowding. I do not think more fans will help, it must be a huricane inside your tent. :bongrip: The rain sucks for humidity

Yeah..I opened the box this morning and the humidity gauge read under 60% right at lights on..

It takes a few hours to reset so I'll see what the upper limit was in a few hours.

60% is not that bad. I'm sure you'll do great with a dehumidifier. My humidity inside the tent at canopy level is between 50-60% right now too. However the air that comes into the tent has about 30-35%, so that probably makes a big difference.

I would talk to Cateros, he swears by RH of around 50-60% (if I recall correctly) for flowering. Just my 2 cents.

60% is not that bad. I'm sure you'll do great with a dehumidifier. My humidity inside the tent at canopy level is between 50-60% right now too. However the air that comes into the tent has about 30-35%, so that probably makes a big difference.

I would talk to Cateros, he swears by RH of around 50-60% (if I recall correctly) for flowering. Just my 2 cents.

I've done everything I can to this point to circumvent the problem. I I've got two exhaust fans sucking air out and plenty of fans inside as well as the intake. Maybe the dehumidifier is the way to go...

Day 64 - Flowering Day 17

Overall, considering I pruned the shit out of my plants over the last couple of days, things are looking really good. Things are frosting up nicely.

I'm still debating whether or not to take Jessica out of the box. I'm having a difficult time deciding. She just looks so happy in there!! LOL

I'm going to continue pruning the large fan leaves and see how it goes. I did some box mods this morning and looked over the girls really well..didn't see much mildew at all so maybe my efforts are not in vain.

Pics!!

Day_64_-_1.jpg
Day_64_-_2.jpg
Day_64_-_3.jpg
Day_64_-_4.jpg
Day_64_-_6.jpg
Day_64_-_7.jpg
Day_64_-_8.jpg
Day_64_-_5.jpg

That's it for now. Maybe going to get a dehumidifier..not sure yet. Comments??

Welcome to the continuing saga, "Humidity Hospital".....

This put a very real smile on my face this morning while I sit at my desk looking busy.

Trimming it is. I started yesterday. + reps to you and McCrackin for turning me over to the Dark Side!!

Welcome brother, we are glad to have you.

I do not think the dehumidifier will be that beneficial with the wind tunnel that you currently have rolling in there. I am very surprised that with the amount of airflow you have going, you are having trouble.

Oh and this is just a peripheral thought, but if you want to see a bushy mess, put little Jessica back under 24/0 until the next go and her bud-sites will turn into 5-10 stems per node. I had a friend who was doing that to get mothers with hundreds of available clone-sites per plant. Or you can simply tuck her away in the backyard behind some tomato plants and she will be good around August or so.

Have a great St Patrick's Day, cheers.

I'm happy you're getting the mildew under control. Honestly, it's difficult to tell that you did ANY pruning. Goes to show how bushy they were!!!

I see OC in one of the pictures. Are you using it for this grow?

Looks like you found a shit-load of buds under the leaves! A sort of, "Finding buds in a leaf stack" if you will. :)

Jessica looks way bigger than the last photo! Like she's saying, "See, I'm big too".

If you can maintain control with what you've done so far just keep doing that. I would think in a day or so you'll know if it worked for sure, then decide on the dehumdi then.

Keep fighting the good fight brother!

This put a very real smile on my face this morning while I sit at my desk looking busy.

Welcome brother, we are glad to have you.

I do not think the dehumidifier will be that beneficial with the wind tunnel that you currently have rolling in there. I am very surprised that with the amount of airflow you have going, you are having trouble.

Oh and this is just a peripheral thought, but if you want to see a bushy mess, put little Jessica back under 24/0 until the next go and her bud-sites will turn into 5-10 stems per node. I had a friend who was doing that to get mothers with hundreds of available clone-sites per plant. Or you can simply tuck her away in the backyard behind some tomato plants and she will be good around August or so.

Have a great St Patrick's Day, cheers.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you as well! I'm not sure either. There is a lot of air going on in there right now. We'll see over the next couple of days.

I'm happy you're getting the mildew under control. Honestly, it's difficult to tell that you did ANY pruning. Goes to show how bushy they were!!!

I see OC in one of the pictures. Are you using it for this grow?

Not in this grow but I'm considering it for my next. That said, it could get boring just watering with nothing to fuck up!! LOL

I know..looks like I did NO pruning at all from the pics..I was noticing that myself. Need to do more.

Looks like you found a shit-load of buds under the leaves! A sort of, "Finding buds in a leaf stack" if you will. :)

Jessica looks way bigger than the last photo! Like she's saying, "See, I'm big too".

If you can maintain control with what you've done so far just keep doing that. I would think in a day or so you'll know if it worked for sure, then decide on the dehumdi then.

Keep fighting the good fight brother!

Yeah she has gotten way bigger over the last week. My struggle with taking her out is that she is Purple Trash which is a combo of my two currently favorite strains. I'd love to get her done and have that smoke about to play with.

Thanks guys!!

Well, one good thing about all of this ventilation is that the temps in my box just got very controllable.

I guess I should have had it setup this way from the beginning. The intake fan has enabled me to totally dial in the temps. I can have it exactly one temp all day..

The humidity did come down but it didn't rain today and was very nice with lower ambient humidity.

Supposed to rain all week though...we'll see..

Day 65 - Flowering Day 18

Things are frosting up nicely and looking very healthy.

Boy I'll tell you..looking back, I totally fucked up vegging for so damn long. I should have vegged only 30 days max. As it was, I went 17 days past that...mistake.

I don't think I'd be having the issues I'm having with mildew now if I had vegged for a shorter time.

Tonight just before lights out, I'm going to saturate the girls with the sulphur shit I bought. Hopefully that will knock it's dick in the dirt.

By the time I get close to harvesting, the rh should be much more controllable.

I did a little more trimming this morning..just the diseased leaves. Dorothy definitely has more than Baby Le Bush but after this evening, it should be greatly reduced.

I'm going to expand the size of the growing space, I've got a little ledge I don't really need in the box, and put in a diy drain tray for my next grow. I might replace the back wall as I've torn it up pretty good with this grow.

Pics!!

Day_65_-_1.jpg
Day_65_-_2.jpg
Day_65_-_3.jpg
Day_65_-_4.jpg
Day_65_-_5.jpg
Day_65_-_Temp_RH.jpg

I just noticed I didn't take any pics of Jessica today..she's still alive and in the box.

I just went back near the begining of your journal to look at the ladies, holy crap they have grown! It's realy cool how fast they are frosting up.. I wanna FedEx my nose to your house, can you just overnight it back to me...:)

Keep it green!

Back
Top Bottom