Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Thanks man I appreciate it. I originally wanted to just pm you in the first place but I'm not about to spam up such a wonderful forum to get my 50 posts in. I'd send them back and eat the restocking fee but I doubt I would get anything back from them. So I learned a $550 lesson. Fuck.

I'm just gona buy a HPS. =(

Thanks man I appreciate it. I originally wanted to just pm you in the first place but I'm not about to spam up such a wonderful forum to get my 50 posts in. I'd send them back and eat the restocking fee but I doubt I would get anything back from them. So I learned a $550 lesson. Fuck.

I'm just gona buy a HPS. =(
There are some great LEDs out there, don't give up because of that one company. There's even a grow journal going on right now using one of those lights (from the company you bought from) and it is doing ok. With that company it's more about their business practices and customer support than the actual product. Although I haven't tested his/her light so I can't give an opinion on the quality.

Well that's encouraging at least. Again, really appreciate what you do here. If I do end up going led for my larger grow (this micro is just to get my feet wet) I will for sure be getting the Advanced LED diamond series. If there is better advertising for LEDs than your grow journals I haven't seen it.

EDIT: Off topic a bit but I'm wondering if you could clear something up for me. If I wanted to start a grow journal here to document how well I do or how hard I fail with these lights am I even allowed to do that? Because honestly it seems like so far so good. In the first 5 days going from cube to soil they grew an inch. Just yesterday (day 6) they are up another inch. You mentioned that the brand is not welcome here and I don't get that. If it's shady isn't it in everyone's best interest to document that it's shady? I am in no way defending company who shall not be named. Having read what I did this morning ensured that I will never be doing business with them again.

absolutely, start a journal, just can't mention the name-brand of the light or any information?picture of the light that would be construed as "endorsing" that company.

Something along the lines of:
McMuffinFace's LED mini Grow

If anyone asks for the name of the light just tell them they aren't a sponsor and you would prefer not to say (the name will be auto-removed and replaced by ----).

By all means, use them and do the grow and share with us! Just be aware of what SteveHman told you above, and you'll be fine with the site owners/moderators. The lights will work, but IMHO they're overpriced, overhyped (on their site) and just the lack of ethics on the company owner's part is unpalatable.

I do have a 63W unit, and am using it now for maintaining 6 clones in my 2' x 2' tent; and will probably keep using it for small grows/maintaining moms or the such. As far as a future LED unit, I'd have no qualms about using an Advanced unit, as the performance has been documented, and soon the GSL will have it's day, as I'm doing a side-by-side with it and a former sponsor's unit.

In a nutshell, DO a grow! Share it with us! ;)

:bongrip: - JZ

Yes, do a grow and share, just call it brand xyz (could probably refer to it as a 63 watt unit). You can always PM interested parties on the actual name. Everything people have to share is important and valuable......people can still search on 63 watt that way.

i managed to run full plant cycle with 63w led bought almost 2 years ago, the result was not sky hi , max plant hi reached at 20" with dry weight close to 20-25g auto ak47lr2. as it was only for personal grow in search of quality instead of quantity i was very pleased and consider it anought for me ;)

u do know, steve, that the email was answered by a lawer. i can spot legal-eze a mile away. the term "brand" or "branding" is a legal term. although they may buy led's from a usa "branded" co. it has nothing to do w/who made the led's. in post #40 they actually admit this. u're research statement let them know that they weren't gonna' B.S. u with more legal-eze. i wouldn't have let them know i'd done research & let them ramble on in legal-eze for a while first......but i'm mean, like that!LOL! i don't mean to imply that this isn't a good co. or that they don't build good products.....i just enjoy making the lawers work for their money. (both of my daughters are attorneys)

I don't think the email was written by a lawyer. I've taken a few business law classes and my brother is a lawyer. It is simply written by someone who knows their business. There are a large number of companies in China and Taiwan. Many of them are partners with American companies and sell their products under both companies names. There are even American companies buying Chinese LED's and having the manufacturers brand them to their name and sell them for $1 or more than the price of the Chinese product on the open market. I have still yet to find an actual manufacturer of LED's in the US to make anything over 630 nm red in 1 watt +. That company does seem to have the best product on the market to date. I've done a ton of research (Jozo, Steve, Be Irie, and a few others here have as well). If you read through some of the post around regarding LED's you'll find some good information and links to per reviewed studies involving plants and wavelengths of light, as well as good discussion on our test, thoughts and opinions.

i'm wondering what will happen when led's start to go out. they can't last forever. i'm guessing u'll have to buy another one. well, i'm about to find out.

The chips will eventually fade out and lose their PAR. It's hard to say exactly when though. The harder they drive them the shorter the lifespan. You should expect to get 5 years out of them, but by then the newer ones will be better and cheaper (remember when a LCD TV was $4k?).

i asked those Chinese vendor about the prices of their lamps and its to expensive with shipping cost more then the lamp itself hehe ..
CDL-Apollo 6 =90pcs 3w
200$ + 200$ shipping lol that's 400$ for unknown power did not find anywhere how much real power draw it has - not worth even to try it for this price...

Have you ever used the "penetrator 336x -pro" by hydro grow led ? I have been looking at possibly buying that model. This would be a first time grow me and have not seen anything equivalent. By the way my grow tent will be 5x5 ..using a deep water res system. Appreciate any feed back.

Have you ever used the "penetrator 336x -pro" by hydro grow led ? I have been looking at possibly buying that model.

I doubt that you'll find much in the way of discussion about Cammie's lights, store, business practices, or past accusations of criminal fraud here - and none at all that would be positive. Shim seems to have angered a number of people back when shim was selling everything from front clips to engines to complete gray-market imports of JDM sports cars that shim did not actually have - which was even before it was accused of threatening to turn a grower in to LEO when that grower made allegations that did not cast it in a positive light. From Googling, one gets the impression that such things are normal for shim, although I do not have any personal knowledge. Could be that some stories grow in the telling, though; after all, if even half of the stories I've read about shim were true, it would have probably been found (or not found) beaten to death and thrown into a ditch. So who knows?

Personally, I'd give the sponsors a serious look. For one, their sponsorship helps keep this site in operation. I've not seen any negativity about them. And many of them participate here to one degree or another, which can be very helpful all around.

Have you ever used the "penetrator 336x -pro" by hydro grow led ? I have been looking at possibly buying that model. This would be a first time grow me and have not seen anything equivalent. By the way my grow tent will be 5x5 ..using a deep water res system. Appreciate any feed back.

Do notice the claims being rather large, yet no light spectrums or real wattage are listed.

If you look at my journal (disclaimer I'm a newb grower) you will see how one of our sponsors lights does from seedling. I'll have some new pics up today or tomorrow as well. And boy do my plants look good! I cant wait to get into flower!

Back
Top Bottom