Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

SteveHman and the rest of the advice givers thanks for all the good words i'm gathering parts for my first indoor grow have done a couple outdoors turned out ok been reading lots since i joined had almost decided on the 300 diamond led you made up my mind thanks again this one finger typing sucks but i'm new at this and just learning computers so bear with me i'm old but learning every day

Let me start off by say, ALWAYS do you own research. I am a full believer of that.

Second, be wary of any "article" you read on the internet. My wife spent years as a writer for that site and a few others. While in most cases she picked topics that covered things she already knew about to write on, when work wasn't available in her area of expertise, she would write on subjects she had no prior knowledge of. Let me stress that this isn't the case 100% of the time but when you are going to be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a product you want to get your information from people that know at least a little about the subject. This article looks like a cut and paste of the features pages from the producers websites. It also leaves out a couple of the better companies that are sponsors here. Now down to the grit and bones of the article itself.

Claims like: "These 3w bulbs are made in the USA and provide the best energy efficiency with 100% output."

Are 100% false. That company makes a great product, probably the best on the market today, but that comment is just false. No light is 100% efficient. Not even the sun... It is burning out. The lights we put in our grow room are there for light to grow our plants. If it uses more energy than light produced or creates any heat it is not 100% efficient.

Claims like: "The GrowSpot is literally a little LED spotlight, capable of covering a 4 square foot area with 12w producing 150w of light output."

Come on, we all know better than claims like this. This company is part of a cheap Chinese mass distributor network. There is nothing special about these lights and they are still using the same claims that turned many people off of LED's 5 years ago. You WILL NOT get 200% growth from 25% of the power. It is just not possible with the current tech. (and surely wasn't years ago)

As for the new release on the market mentioned by the article. Growl LED give no information on their lights at all. Very disheartening to see a company that doesn't give even a little information on their $2900 1k watt product. However, their claims that a 400W LED will replace a 800W HPS is pushing the envelope of what may be possible.

Well said Hose.

That article is a terribly written piece of trash. If someone actually got paid to write that, freaking sign me up! There was obviously no true research done by anyone with any knowledge whatsoever of either growing or how light works with plants. I'm NOT qualified to write on the subject and could easily write a far better article. That one was written for suckers.

ya know, we've got an old saying, here in texas, "DON'T TRY TA BULLSHIT AN OLD BULLSHITER". I wonder why they don't try to have a grow-off....hmmmm......was it'replace a 250watter w/a 28watter....9 times as powerful....ahhh don't think so.

That's why it's so important to use sponsors from the site. If they are a sponsor here, someone has done a grow with their product. Most likely, there has been a grow competition between that product and some of the other sponsors. As it stands right now (in my honest opinion), there is really only 3 companies out there making what I would consider a worthy LED grow light. Two of them are sponsors here and one has a good product but horrible business practices and ethics. This is just my opinion.

Let me be clear, I have not used any of these products as I make and test my own, but you can see the grow journals around the net and read the stories of super great customer service and really bad customer service. The article that was written was paid for. One of the light producers/manufacturers/re-sellers paid Bright-Hub to have an article written as a review. This is very common. It doesn't pay a great deal for the author, therefore it will not have a lot of in-depth reporting or research attached. It is generally a review of the claims made, a quick check around the internet to see what people say about the product, and reading a few reviews before a re-write of the cut and paste from the companies web-site. Sometimes there isn't any fact check at all. There will be anywhere from 1 to 20 people submitting their version of the article and the person that paid for it will pick their favorite.

Well said again Hose. (I always want to type Hoser whats that about :adore: )

I own and am using a GrowStealthLED 600w pro-bloom. I do not feel qualified to write an article on the topic. I can only share my experience, based on my first grow which is still in veg. I'm very happy with my light and the product they offer. But I am in no way qualified, yet.

I wrote an article on a product last year for another type of business. I was approached unsolicited to write the article based on many people referring me as extremely knowledgeable about the product from having been paid to help people learn to use the product to their best ability. It was a computer program used for tracking information on poker players online and analyzing statistics of play. I was not associated with the company. But I learned how to use it quite well and to it's fullest. Often in a manner in which others had not thought of.

So yea, be weary when articles are so generalized they look to be nothing more than site advertisements, reworded at best.

Our company sells LED lights and I had a chance to read over Stevehman's LED buyer's guide and he is spot on. This is a great intro for the first time LED user. You can find more information and great prices on LED grow lights at Home page

Happy Harvest!
:420:

DG, probably a good idea as a newcomer to the site when trying to promote your product, would be chiming in with informational data rather than posting links to your company. This is frowned upon when you are not a sponsor, are brand new to the site, and at less than 5 pots are linking your site. I am sure your link will be pulled.

Furthermore, your site claims a 900w replaces a 2000w HID system, and a 600w replaces a 1400w HID system. Personally I find this hard to believe, as will most that have looked into LED even in the slightest. The most obvious reason is you do not provide a lens angle and claim a 600w will cover a 5x5 area with a 18"x12" light. To cover such an area from veg to harvest chance are you would need to position the light so high it would lose tremendous amounts of intensity to the plants.

You will find some of the folks here will actually challenge you to provide a proven good product as well as good customer service. If you are able to meet the challenge, and choose to become a site sponsor, rest assured it will pay off 10 fold.

As it stands now, you are not starting off well. I suggest you think about how to best represent your products.

Edit: BTW, starting off with 60% of your posts having links to your site is not such a great way to introduce yourself either. Try getting more involved in the conversations with help based on knowledge rather than self promotion. It'll go a long ways to integrity. And look in to becoming a sponsor if your product is good, people will say so. If not, or your service is bad, you wont be here long as a sponsor. TAKE THE CHALLENGE!

Bassman59, thanks for taking the time to research our site.

We stand behind our claims and our 600 Watt MEGA LED will adequately cover a 5'x5 grow area. The ideal height of the light is 16-18 inches from the canopy of the plants. At that height and the 90degree angle of the diodes, plant growth will be robust. We have a 30 day return policy and 1 year warranty if anyone is not happy with their light.

I appreciate the challenge as it is good for all the forum members!:thumb:
Cheers

Welcome aboard DG (who is a sponsor). I would like to get as many links to 420 grows that feature sponsor's lights as possible. If you have a grower that is currently using your light, please encourage them to start a journal and I can ask the mods to include it into the earlier post with all of the links.

Welcome aboard DG (who is a sponsor).

Thanks, lol. I didn't realize that he is a sponsor <EMBARRASSMENT>.

DormGrow.com, welcome to the forums and thank you for being a sponsor! Perhaps you could ask a staff member to change your user title to Sponsor so as to help avoid any confusion?

Thanks, lol. I didn't realize that he is a sponsor <EMBARRASSMENT>.

DormGrow.com, welcome to the forums and thank you for being a sponsor! Perhaps you could ask a staff member to change your user title to Sponsor so as to help avoid any confusion?
I just sent him a PM saying the same thing. Great minds.......

I suggest you check out the led sponsors here. They provide a 90 return policy. Why? Because that's generally the minimum time needed to see a grow thru. A 30 day return policy is of little value imho and I wouldnt even consider it. This doesnt mean your product is not a good one. But for people going to LED, or even considering it, which is in it's early years and still has nightmare stories, 90 day returns are the norm to earn the business.

Now if you want a real challenge. Become a sponsor here. Go through all the journals of LED players, find a journal you like where the grower listens, learns, shares experience, and is above all open minded. Then, ask him/her to do a side by side controlled grow using your light and whatever brand they have. Provide them with the light. Even a test unit or slightly used unit.

This will do two things. It will give you great attention towards not only your product, but how you do business and believe in your product and provide a very good real world review.

I'd strongly suggest you contact site admins and talk to them about becoming a sponsor. You might also want to read up on the site policies in regards to advertising your business.

Good luck and welcome to 420mag.

Bassman59, thanks for the recommendations, they are very helpful. I previously made a mistake, our return policy is 60 days, not 30. I am a current sponsor but my status shows "new member". I am working on getting that corrected right away. I really enjoy the easy flow of information on this forum. It is great for the members and sponsors alike.

JEEBUS, my apologies for jumping on ya DG. I was going to look at the sponsor list to make sure, then I noticed "new member" and decided they wouldnt have a sponsor with a new member tag so I didnt need to check.

Please accept my sincere apologies in that regard.

*all the other great words of wisdom I spewed still stand* :peace:

Hey Steve. Thanks for this thread. I went ahead and ordered 3 of the DS series lights. a DS 100 to go over my cloner, and two DS200's to go over my Aeroflo 30. The 100 came in yesterday, and I was amazed. Both of the 200s will be here tomorrow, and I can finally get my room put together.

I was awestruck by the 100. It's small, but put's out a ton of light. I can't wait to see what the 200's are like. After getting the light over my cloner, the two seedlings I started showed signs of appreciation within an hour. Incredible.

I started a grow journal, it's my first grow, and it'll be 100% LED from seed to stone. Anyway.. thanks again for this.

I'm going to be adding a 4x4 flood/drain system in my room in a few weeks. I think I'll get a DS300 for that. I know it won't cover the entire 4x4 area, but I won't be using the entire tray, so it should be fine.?? any thoughts?

Hey Steve. Thanks for this thread. I went ahead and ordered 3 of the DS series lights. a DS 100 to go over my cloner, and two DS200's to go over my Aeroflo 30. The 100 came in yesterday, and I was amazed. Both of the 200s will be here tomorrow, and I can finally get my room put together.

I was awestruck by the 100. It's small, but put's out a ton of light. I can't wait to see what the 200's are like. After getting the light over my cloner, the two seedlings I started showed signs of appreciation within an hour. Incredible.

I started a grow journal, it's my first grow, and it'll be 100% LED from seed to stone. Anyway.. thanks again for this.

I'm going to be adding a 4x4 flood/drain system in my room in a few weeks. I think I'll get a DS300 for that. I know it won't cover the entire 4x4 area, but I won't be using the entire tray, so it should be fine.?? any thoughts?
I might consider putting a third 200 over that aero 30 when your budget permits. You will be able to get by with just two for now, but you will have a better yield with the extra light.

The other option is to put the two 200s over the flood and drain tray and pick up a second 300 for the aero setup.

Hmmm. Thanks Steve. Ididn't think about adding a 3rd light over the Aeroflo. My original thinking was the 2 would be enough. According to the description, the core coverage is 2.5 x 3 feet. SO I was hoping 2 of the DS 200's would cover the 2x6 aeroflo.

Now.. in defense of my ignorance... I have not yet put the aeroflo together, nor hung the lights over it...lol. So I do refer back to your actual experience..lol

Maybe I should just plan on 2 of the DS400's for the flood & drain. and get another 200 for the aeroflo (as budget allows) ..oh well. a ways off yet.

Thanks for your help. greatly appreciated.

Hmmm. Thanks Steve. Ididn't think about adding a 3rd light over the Aeroflo. My original thinking was the 2 would be enough. According to the description, the core coverage is 2.5 x 3 feet. SO I was hoping 2 of the DS 200's would cover the 2x6 aeroflo.

Now.. in defense of my ignorance... I have not yet put the aeroflo together, nor hung the lights over it...lol. So I do refer back to your actual experience..lol

Maybe I should just plan on 2 of the DS400's for the flood & drain. and get another 200 for the aeroflo (as budget allows) ..oh well. a ways off yet.

Thanks for your help. greatly appreciated.

I have the aeroflo 20 in my test chamber and a pair of 200s would cover it, but I like a little more light (kind of an over achiever). I would think a pair of the 300s would work very nicely over the flood and drain.

Back
Top Bottom