Steviodaddio's Round 2 HID + LED

Temps hit 87 with the door open cause we have an extremely warm night. Been asking around and everyone said I'd be wasting my money with a 15,000 btu portable AC so it looks like I'm going to have to get a 24k mini split unit which I'm not thrilled about...

They're for adult gnats that made it into the room from a few plants my brother handed off to me not long ago (Don't ask me about his methods, you may have a stroke hearing about it). They're not made to be put in in the soil. If I wanted something in the soil I'd use that covering stuff or mosquito bites, or buy other insects that would eat them but I don't want a jungle in my grow room. They travel to the color and they work perfect where they're at. I don't even need them up but I leave them in case a stray one somehow gets back into the room.

I keep mine hanging from the light as well, they are naturally attracted to the yellow so the more light you can reflect that's yellow the better success you have at catching the adults.

And like you you said it is only one half of the treatment. I use a Micro lift product, works awesome.

Nice room BTW BUD :)

I keep mine hanging from the light as well, they are naturally attracted to the yellow so the more light you can reflect that's yellow the better success you have at catching the adults.

And like you you said it is only one half of the treatment. I use a Micro lift product, works awesome.

Nice room BTW BUD :)

4/11/15 - Day 37 of Flower (out of 63-72 approx.) Halfway!

I think someone was just trying to stir something up by questioning that tactic. Hanging a gnat trap isn't rocket science nor do we need a book on a comparison between the trap at 60" high vs 24" inches... :laughtwo: I digress though, onto the good stuff.

Thank you, MT. Been trying my best. Being my first real indoor grow that is actually successful up to this point (no jinxes, lol) I've learned way more than I ever expected. Once I bring this one to a close around the middle/end of May I hope my next indoor will be better with everything this grow has thrown at me. We'll just have to wait and see. :thumb:

Stuck between getting a 24,000 BTU or 36,000 BTU mini split AC on Monday which will bring temps down to what I need and smooth everything out. This "hobby" just keeps ripping my wallet up :laughtwo:

That diagram looks like a good setup but you would need a damper to balance the air flow, the least restrictive path will get all the suction, my advice would be to link all your hoods up with ducting run a separate fan taking in fresh air from outside the room and BLOWING it through the lights, and exhausting outside the room, I know blow through is less efficient than draw through but you will not need a filter as you will not have a negative pressure on the hoods that could potentially suck the stink out of your grow, but you will have a separate circuit cooling your lights and hoods.

hoods are great but if you don't cool them they have a large surface area that can still Radiate a lot of heat.

That diagram looks like a good setup but you would need a damper to balance the air flow, the least restrictive path will get all the suction, my advice would be to link all your hoods up with ducting run a separate fan taking in fresh air from outside the room and BLOWING it through the lights, and exhausting outside the room, I know blow through is less efficient than draw through but you will not need a filter as you will not have a negative pressure on the hoods that could potentially suck the stink out of your grow, but you will have a separate circuit cooling your lights and hoods.

hoods are great but if you don't cool them they have a large surface area that can still Radiate a lot of heat.

I read this a few times trying to comprehend what you were saying but I believe you're talking about losing suction to the larger filter that's already set up I think due to the 8" ducting (from the T that would be installed)? Correct me if I'm wrong. If you're talking pressure in the room I do have a 6" intake fan so it is not a sealed room and with the 10" fan cranked up I have so much negative pressure it'll pull the door shut being about 12-15" open. I get what you're saying about a closed circuit intaking and exhausting the hoods, I considered but I just wanted to avoid getting another fan since my room is pretty concealed if you walk downstairs. It's not smart but I've thrown a few parties with 30-40 people who just thought it was a huge storage area since it's drywalled off and looks like part of the home and if I vent the lights in a sealed circuit I'd have to put a 8" hole on the wall that you can see and hear from the stairs.

I ended up deciding to just buy an AC unit, but haven't decided between a 24,000 or 36,000 BTU unit. It's roughly $1,900 for the 24,000 BTU and $2,850 for the 36,000 BTU for an Ideal Air mini split which I've heard good and bad things about but my grow shop can have a full package unit in for me in 2 days and the quickest I can get from anywhere else without paying out the ass for 2 day shipping is about 10-12 business days and sadly I'm at the mercy of heat and time right now. Really trying to justify spending the extra grand and getting the 36,000 BTU but nearly $2,900 is a lot of bread right now to drop and feel comfortable. I know a 24,000 would get the job done plenty for the amount of lights I do have currently but I feel if I ever expand I would be on the weak side for a room with 8-10k worth of lights.

4/13/15 - Day 39 of Flower

Adjusted and hung some of the heavy colas that drooped that I never noticed on the top of a plant. Flushed half of them with water and hydrogen peroxide just cause I've been doing a lot of reading on root aphids and it freaked me out. :laughtwo:

Pics in a few days.

4/15/15 - Day 41 of Flower, things are starting to get really exciting. Been in the process the last two nights of getting some branches situated so they're not resting on others from the weight. Still have a bit to do but just tackling a few different ones for the next few nights and we'll see how far I take it.

4/18/15 - Day 44 of Flower.

Been warmer at night and my temp has been creeping up to 85-86 after finally being able to keep it down to about 81 with a window open in my basement all night sucking in the cold air. Decided to go with a Fujitsu mini split AC unit from my cousin (works at a HVAC supplier) since I didn't want a no-name unit but the kicker is a 36,000 BTU was about $4,000 instead of $3,000 like I had figured due to the inability to buy them without a heat pump like the 24k unit. Ended up paying just over $2,300 for a 24,000 BTU unit which should get me by for the next few weeks until I can get another unit for the next grow. Is what it is I guess, gotta pay to play..

Have moved all my vegging plants outside two days ago and they seem to like it, plus it opened up our veg room for all my buddies autoflowers. Have had two nice sunny days and they haven't wilted or shown any signs that the light is too much for them. Been nice and cloudy half the day which is probably helping a ton.

Thought I'd throw these up cause they look good and would like to see the potential a lot of autoflowers have now.

Photo_Apr_18_12_13_27_AM.jpg
Photo_Apr_18_12_13_42_AM1.jpg
Photo_Apr_18_12_13_14_AM1.jpg

Pictures in a few days of the flower room.

4/23/15 - Day 49 of Flower. I was about a week late stopping the B-52 and Bud Candy, but that's what it is. Been busy on a new internship/training and it's had most of my time and energy. Am going to start flushing in a few days since I think some of them will need more than 62 days. Think I may push it to 68 or so days since both of the largest plants are airy as shit. I was really happy about everything until I really sat back and realized the flowering day and how poorly the two biggest ones looked (both LSD crosses but now that I look up LSD strains they have almost no LSD traits, damn brother lol) They're only pistils, with no girth to even form them into bud. Not sure if it was stress related or what but I know I'm irritated by it, oh well I guess. Just looking forward to getting this done so I can get a hydro system going as my summer project since I'm really over looking at the same plants. :laughtwo:

4/26/15 - Day 52 of Flower. Started flushing them on day 50. The two LSD cross are majority pistils still for the most part so I'm thinking they will need more than a 64 day flower, hoping that extending it up to 75-80 days will make them fill out and not have wasted 4-5 months for even a few ounces of crappy, airy bud. Still need to take some updated photos even though there's not much to see. Really dragging my feet since it's doubtful anyone wants to see practically the same photo for 3 weeks straight :laughtwo:

Other than that I started germinating new seeds yesterday for the next grow and threw together a quick DWC bucket since I'm still not going to run my RDWC setup until I learn hydro. Left to right I have Blue Kush, Critical Kush and then Incredible Bulk. The 8 on the bottom are just random non-feminized Afghans I may just throw somewhere outside. Not going to go into it much but I'm staggering 6 new plants in every 2 weeks (not counting the clones) to keep consistent bud on hand. If the 6 clones pull through they will be going in a Titan Ebb & Flow and the 6 seeds are going in soil for clones later on.

5/2/15 - Day 58 of Flower. Still dragging my feet for new photos. Things are looking great with a full weeks worth of flushing. Been getting lazy and bored with this crop since I don't have much to do aside from a few minutes of watering and cleaning every day, lol.

Started up my next journal though, if anyone is interested. Going to be a bit different of a style from this.

Chopped and trimmed 7 of the 9 so far during the past 2 days. Everything is looking solid, no clue what the dry weight will be but I'm praying 4-5. Last 2 looks they nee anywhere from a week to two weeks so playing that by what I see.

Nice clean setup. Is that an enviro gro t5?

Yes it is! It was my first purchase of everything I now own and it's what the guys at the hydro shop recommended at the time. Not sure how quality they are or if there's something better I could get but it gets the job done. I only use it to start seeds and clones so it's worked this far.

Thanks DP! The room is still far from dialed in to what I want. Going to get a huge overhaul before this next grow starts and should be much cleaner. I'm slightly OCD and up to this point I've just put up with things like having my ballasts sitting on boxes instead of mounted on my wall I made specifically for them or the mess of cords I've temporarily hung and haven't cleaned up. With the first grow nearly under my belt I'm really looking forward to getting it closer to what I want. I've been looking at putting 4'x6' flood trays on the ground and putting 6 plants a tray to keep it uniform and water free on the ground.

Pics coming in a bit when I find the time to drag my sick body downstairs and snap a few photos of the drying room. Had a nasty sinus infection the past 4 days and I've been trimming since it hasn't required much bodily movement and work. Slept a nice 14 hours today so my body must really be fighting hard right now and I'm not trying to interfere with that.

I was considering getting a few more to just use in the veg room instead of using 1,000 watt MH's. Would be an investment but I'm sure my wallet wouldn't mind the extra cash in there for the monthly bill compared to the 2-4k watts of MH going for 20 hours a day. :laughtwo:

Can you tell me the growth comparison between the two? Vegging anywhere from 6-24 medium plants at a time that hopefully will yield 2-4 oz.

I see the EnviroGro FLT48's on Amazon for 180 + free shipping, or is there another model you would recommend?

Or try leds they work great for veg too :cool: nice tight node spacing.
Could veg all those with a 400 watt light on a mover to hang it close like 8"-12" above... Much more efficient than bigger lights stationary higher up. Leds like that is like $300 deliverd and mover is $200

Or try leds they work great for veg too :cool: nice tight node spacing.
Could veg all those with a 400 watt light on a mover to hang it close like 8"-12" above... Much more efficient than bigger lights stationary higher up. Leds like that is like $300 deliverd and mover is $200

The only problem is that when it comes down to vegging 24 at a time I don't want to have 6-8 LEDs in the room and spend the money on them. I already have the equipment I need to run my four MH 1,000 watters or I can get 4 or 5 EnviroGro T5's (if I even need that many) for quite less than 5-8 LEDs with movers. I plan on using the two Advanced 350's I have to to veg so that should really help but I might surround them with the T5's or maybe throw in one 1,000 watter in the mix. We'll see, the veg room we're going to do this in is currently the drying room unless we decide to start them in the flower room that still has plants in them for another 7-10 days.

Pictures. So I guess the pictures of the two big ones in the flower room are to just show their size. They're both shit, especially the really hairy one which literally has no girth on any of the bud.. :laughtwo: Maybe we'll just blow it into wax or cook it down into some stuff. The other one would probably win 'the most awkward looking bud' award. Didn't have much for support in the middle so it all laid down from weight and the ones that fell through starting growing backwards towards the light or if you hold it upright, grows down to the base of the plant. It actually has some weight and girth on it but they all look like a bunch of foxtails with how they grew. It actually is kind of interesting because I'm sure if it was trellised properly and supported they would have grown together and looked decent but it is what it is. If I pulled 8 oz of half-assed airy bud off of it I won't be upset.

Drying room is all nice though. Maintaining a steady 70 degrees and humidity has been fluctuating a tad from 58-70 since we've had some really rainy, humid days. For the most kickin' around 62 or 63 which I couldn't be more thrilled about. Just needs to stay that way. Trying to find new filters for our larger humidifier so the room will actually stay at 60-65 when the ambient RH is lower.

I forgot to mention that 3 of my buddies 2 Fast 2 Vast grew to 51" tall and we're hoping for about a 4 or 5 oz dry weight yield on the low side of things per plant. Not too shabby for 3 months for an autoflower!

Back
Top Bottom