......"While stimulants contribute to a temporary sense of well-being, there are other chemicals and other theories as to why chocolate makes us feel good. Perhaps the most controversial findings come from researchers at the Neurosciences Institute in San Diego, California. They believe that "chocolate contains pharmacologically active substances that have the same effect on the brain as marijuana, and that these chemicals may be responsible for certain drug-induced psychoses associated with chocolate craving."......

That begs the question, are the active substances the same ones that cause munches?

I never know

That begs the question, are the active substances the same ones that cause munches?

I never know

That is one of the functions of anandamide, to stimulate appetite under the proper conditions. :laughtwo:

That is one of the functions of anandamide, to stimulate appetite under the proper conditions. :laughtwo:

Is one of the proper conditions living next to a corn chip factory?:laughtwo::laughtwo:

Morning SweetSue,

I couldn't resist! I'm still so fascinated with your threads (at least your cyber-threads) and the depth of information that keeps coming out!
:thanks: :Namaste:

Is one of the proper conditions living next to a corn chip factory?:laughtwo::laughtwo:

Morning SweetSue,

I couldn't resist! I'm still so fascinated with your threads (at least your cyber-threads) and the depth of information that keeps coming out!
:thanks: :Namaste:

Morning maineiac. :ciao: Yeah.... It kinda fascinates me too. It's like the stuff pours out sometimes. To be honest, this passion Cajun infected me with took me completely by surprise. Now I'm just having so much fun learning and sharing that it never feels like work, and it fills the hours that would otherwise be lonely.

Protocol update: Diabetes

I've taken on the responsibility of supplying my BIL, my late husband's youngest brother, with cannabis and capsules in an attempt to begin to regulate his diabetes. During the Green Flower Media Cannabis Health Summit I caught a reference to a regimen for controlling diabetes with 50 mg of cannabinoids every 8 hours. I need to go back and review, but I took that to mean 50 mg of THC. What I have him on right now is simply the beginnings of a capsule regimen (he started two a day this week) and smoking when he felt the urge. Yesterday I gave him a vaporizer to try and get him away from just a pipe. As he becomes more familiar with the protocol he'll be on three to four capsules a day.

It's only been three weeks now, but we're seeing some significant developments. The two that pleased him the most were the ability to finally walk to the store and back with groceries without the mind-numbing pain of neuropathy that's dogged him for over a year now. He discovered just yesterday that he didn't hurt much at all until he got to the last rise just before you get to our building and then had to climb the 26 steps to his apartment.

I can still remember this pain with his brother, and it was the most dibilitating part of the disease, because it locked him into the apartment when it got so bad he couldn't walk more than the short hallways of our own apartment. Being able to stay active is one of the primary goals of the BIL's protocol.

He'd also developed extreme polyurea in the past couple months and had been getting up to pee 6-8 times a night, so he hadn't had a decent night's sleep in way too long. For three nights now he's slept 8-9 hours straight with no need to urinate. *sigh of relief*

Beyond that he's noted a dramatic shift in his mental/emotional state. He lives with bipolar as well, and this has caused major bridge-burning in the family at large. I'm really the only one who'll have any part of him. We've had our dances too, some painful, but I've steadfastly refused to cut him off, although I've come close a couple times. Between the CBD Critical Cure Fresh Harvest oil capsules and the Carnival he enjoys the mental clutter is clearing and he's waking up feeling more willing to continue on with life. Before he came to me last month he wasn't so sure he could go on much longer.

One day of relief at a time, and one more skeptic who's come to see the value of medicinal cannabis. So many of us still think people want those cards just so they can get high. :straightface:

Chew and I have been having an ongoing conversation about the potency of this fresh-harvest oil compared to CCO. The interest here is the possibility to leave solvents behind and use a strong infused fresh harvest oil instead. No solvent cost, no concerns with sourcing those hard-to-get solvents, and no need to purge said solvents from our medicine.

This looks like a win-win-win to me. I've calculated my best guess at the cannabinoid load of THC I'm getting in my capsules that're outperforming my brownies that pack a whopping 75 mg of THC per slice, and it comes out to just under 20 mg. I've replaced 75 mg of THC with 20 mg and I'm getting more euphoria with the capsules than I do with the brownies. I have to assume the other cannabinoids gained the same potentiation.

We wanted to throw it out there for open discussion, see what your thoughts were on this. I realize New B and I the only ones here right now that've made this oil, but that's about to change. Hizzy is planning a batch, probably tomorrow, and I know KR plans to do one. I believe neiko is planning a run too, and I'm hoping he gets his tested so we can have some comparison to his CCO samples.

We're still quite a ways from being able to get the test results I'd like to have, but I'm certain at some point they'll begin to accumulate. Our whole approach up to now has pretty much been focused on CCO. I think we have a viable alternative with this process PsyCro worked out for us. With a pressure cooker you can get the liquid volume down to 300 ml per 400 grams of fresh buds. I feel intuitively that this strength would definately match CCO for healing potential.

Figuring out the dosing is going to be a trick. This stuff is potent in ways that'll surprise you.

What do you guys think?

Sadly, I don't have any fresh harvest but I am thinking doing the Olive Oil Extraction with dried, cured bud. Has anyone done it this way and if so, how did it work out for you?

Ok now that I got the first of two CCO runs in its about time to really study up on the fresh harvest oil

Want to run that asap

I took approx 3 oz of a cbd crew mango haze Sativa/Cbd Rich flowers and a 1.75 L 190 proof everclear and yielded 14% for almost 12 cc's
420-magazine-mobile1412584845.jpg
420-magazine-mobile418358781.jpg

Sue,
I calculated a maximum cannabinoid content of 67 mg/ml, assuming cannabinoids are 20% of dry weight for buds.

400 gr wet = 100 gr dry
100 gr x 20% = 20 gr = 20,000 mg
20,000 mg / 300 ml = 67 mg/ml, or 50 mg/ml using 15% bud, which is probably more realistic.

Here's where it gets complicated.
100 gr dry yields about 14 gr CCO, of which about 10 gr is cannabinoids (based on lab test reports on commercial CCO)
1st conclusion: I'm leaving behind more cannabinoids than I thought, or losing some in the process of making CCO.
2nd conclusion: Unless fresh harvest extraction is more efficient we should cut above calculations in half, so finished fresh harvest oil would be about 25 mg/ml. (curious how you came up with 20 mg.)

There's a lot of assumptions in those calculations making them not very reliable without lab tests.
But clearly the increased terpenes are making one hell of a difference in the high. Whether or not that translates into more effective medicine is still the big question.

25 mg is good for my maintenance doses. I'm still at least 2 weeks out, but I can't wait to try making my own.

Chew and I have been having an ongoing conversation about the potency of this fresh-harvest oil compared to CCO. The interest here is the possibility to leave solvents behind and use a strong infused fresh harvest oil instead. No solvent cost, no concerns with sourcing those hard-to-get solvents, and no need to purge said solvents from our medicine.

This looks like a win-win-win to me. I've calculated my best guess at the cannabinoid load of THC I'm getting in my capsules that're outperforming my brownies that pack a whopping 75 mg of THC per slice, and it comes out to just under 20 mg. I've replaced 75 mg of THC with 20 mg and I'm getting more euphoria with the capsules than I do with the brownies. I have to assume the other cannabinoids gained the same potentiation.

We wanted to throw it out there for open discussion, see what your thoughts were on this. I realize New B and I the only ones here right now that've made this oil, but that's about to change. Hizzy is planning a batch, probably tomorrow, and I know KR plans to do one. I believe neiko is planning a run too, and I'm hoping he gets his tested so we can have some comparison to his CCO samples.

We're still quite a ways from being able to get the test results I'd like to have, but I'm certain at some point they'll begin to accumulate. Our whole approach up to now has pretty much been focused on CCO. I think we have a viable alternative with this process PsyCro worked out for us. With a pressure cooker you can get the liquid volume down to 300 ml per 400 grams of fresh buds. I feel intuitively that this strength would definately match CCO for healing potential.

Figuring out the dosing is going to be a trick. This stuff is potent in ways that'll surprise you.

What do you guys think?

I have a plant due for harvest in about 10 days. It should be a rather good harvest. I want to try a few things with her, Fresh Harvest, Cold Dried, decarbed and not decarbed, whatever.

When you are mixing and mashing Fresh Harvest, could you just toss everything into a standup blinder rather than using an emersion blender?

I never know

Ok now that I got the first of two CCO runs in its about time to really study up on the fresh harvest oil

Want to run that asap

I took approx 3 oz of a cbd crew mango haze Sativa/Cbd Rich flowers and a 1.75 L 190 proof everclear and yielded 14% for almost 12 cc's
420-magazine-mobile1412584845.jpg
420-magazine-mobile418358781.jpg

Nice :)
I was saying to Sue only a day or so ago that every CBD Crew strain I have grown has yielded 4 grams per Oz. Nice strains i think :)

Sadly, I don't have any fresh harvest but I am thinking doing the Olive Oil Extraction with dried, cured bud. Has anyone done it this way and if so, how did it work out for you?

I have Chew, and they're not as potent as the fresh harvest oil, but they are potent. I can take them and not feel more than wellbeing. The fresh harvest I get rolling euphoria with the same strain.

Sue,
I calculated a maximum cannabinoid content of 67 mg/ml, assuming cannabinoids are 20% of dry weight for buds.

400 gr wet = 100 gr dry
100 gr x 20% = 20 gr = 20,000 mg
20,000 mg / 300 ml = 67 mg/ml, or 50 mg/ml using 15% bud, which is probably more realistic.

Here's where it gets complicated.
100 gr dry yields about 14 gr CCO, of which about 10 gr is cannabinoids (based on lab test reports on commercial CCO)
1st conclusion: I'm leaving behind more cannabinoids than I thought, or losing some in the process of making CCO.
2nd conclusion: Unless fresh harvest extraction is more efficient we should cut above calculations in half, so finished fresh harvest oil would be about 25 mg/ml. (curious how you came up with 20 mg.)

There's a lot of assumptions in those calculations making them not very reliable without lab tests.
But clearly the increased terpenes are making one hell of a difference in the high. Whether or not that translates into more effective medicine is still the big question.

25 mg is good for my maintenance doses. I'm still at least 2 weeks out, but I can't wait to try making my own.

You have to start the calculations by factoring in the extraction efficiency. For infused oils the standard is 85% efficiency. Your calculations would be

20% x 85% = 0.17 x 100 gr = 17 gr x 1000 = 17,000 mg / 300 ml = 56.7 mg/ml

If I start with 400 gr of wet of a strain with 10% THC and calculate that as 100 gr dry, using 500 ml of oil it becomes

10% x 85% = .085x 100 gr = 8.5 gr x 1000 = 8500 mg /500 ml = 17 mg/ml.

That's 17 mg of THC in each of these capsules I'm taking - the capsules that get me so euphoric that I can't take more than two a day, spaced out so they don't overlap much. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the hell out of the euphoria, and I'm getting a lot done, but still...... 17 mg of THC can do this when you include the entire entourage?

At the end of the day my body is ready for sleep. :cheesygrinsmiley:

At 300 ml of oil it becomes 8500 mg / 300 ml = 28.3 mg/ml.

Ok, I don't know about the rest of you, but I just got unbelievably excited. :laughtwo:

I have a plant due for harvest in about 10 days. It should be a rather good harvest. I want to try a few things with her, Fresh Harvest, Cold Dried, decarbed and not decarbed, whatever.

When you are mixing and mashing Fresh Harvest, could you just toss everything into a standup blinder rather than using an emersion blender?

I never know

Use an immersion blender Canyon. You don't want to leave the cannabinoids clinging to the inside of the stand up blender.

And, this is an instance where we're different, Sue. Math excites you but it makes me want to run for the hills!

:laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo:

I think I have math dyslexia. What you and Kingston just posted looks like gobbly-gook to me.

You have to start the calculations by factoring in the extraction efficiency. For infused oils the standard is 85% efficiency. Your calculations would be

20% x 85% = 0.17 x 100 gr = 17 gr x 1000 = 17,000 mg / 300 ml = 56.7 mg/ml

If I start with 400 gr of wet of a strain with 10% THC and calculate that as 100 gr dry, using 500 ml of oil it becomes

10% x 85% = .085x 100 gr = 8.5 gr x 1000 = 8500 mg /500 ml = 17 mg/ml.

That's 17 mg of THC in each of these capsules I'm taking - the capsules that get me so euphoric that I can't take more than two a day, spaced out so they don't overlap much. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the hell out of the euphoria, and I'm getting a lot done, but still...... 17 mg of THC can do this when you include the entire entourage?

At the end of the day my body is ready for sleep. :cheesygrinsmiley:

At 300 ml of oil it becomes 8500 mg / 300 ml = 28.3 mg/ml.

Ok, I don't know about the rest of you, but I just got unbelievably excited. :laughtwo:

How much does the oil, infused or CCO, take on the characteristics of the flower

IE. If u infuse a sativa like Kilimanjaro, very energetic high, 18% THC...would the infused oil help with energy and motivation???

Also....lol...sorry my mind is racing...ooo from the canna oil maybe
When making an oil...should you mix a CBD strain with a THC Strain....or is a 1/1 strain a better option????

How much does the oil, infused or CCO, take on the characteristics of the flower

IE. If u infuse a sativa like Kilimanjaro, very energetic high, 18% THC...would the infused oil help with energy and motivation???

Yes indeed Scorpio, the oil takes on the characteristics of the strain or strains chosen.

Also....lol...sorry my mind is racing...ooo from the canna oil maybe
When making an oil...should you mix a CBD strain with a THC Strain....or is a 1/1 strain a better option????

You choose the strains that fit the terpene and cannabinoid profiles needed to meet the patient needs. Combining strains to make oil is the way to create an individualized oil with a more exotic profile.

Back
Top Bottom