Switching mid-flower from HPS 1000W to LED 1500W?

Bush Doctor 77

Being dragged kicking and screaming at 72 years old into this century. Got at least 60+ grows in the last 30+ year, outdoors and in with HID. Had a lot of gorilla grow failures late 60's early 70's outside(damn deer and rabbits) and decided to do indoors and now smilin'. I'm about 3 weeks into flower on an indoor grow under HPS 1000w @ 16-18 inches. I decided to be a little bit "Greener" and got an LED. Tips on switchover to King LED 1500? Distance above plants critical?

What’s your grow space size? 1000w hps puts out a lot of light. If you’re talking about the 1500w led I think you are, my guess is that it pulls at most 260-270w. It probably won’t be enough light for you if you’re making good use of that HPS

Don't do it mate you'll be devestated. You'll need at least 3 or 4 of them to compare in yield and the quality you get from blurps isn't as good as hps iether.
I use both and there's no comparison .
For you to replace that light you need somewhere around 600w worth of quality cobs or qb LEDs . Blurples can't touch it by a long shot.
That light will have 150x 10w diodes or some multiple thereof so they call it a 1500w light. But if it ran at full tilt itd burn out in 6 months so they only use drivers that push them half tilt at best.
You've gotta check the specs for the terms "actual wattage" "draw wattage" or "while only using X watts" that's the number you go by.

I just checked for the draw wattage and
That light doesn't have it so it's probably next to nothing. It also warns you to turn it off for 20 mins every 7 hours to prolong the life span. Never seen that before. Definately garbage lol. Stick to your HP's untill you know what to go for mate. Blurples just ain't gonna cut it for you, trust us.

I just checked for the draw wattage and
That light doesn't have it so it's probably next to nothing.

260 watts according to Amazon :(

Somebody in government sure dropped the ball back when the LED manufacturers somehow started slipping these fake wattage numbers in. It’s totally stupid, being allowed to call a 260 watt light a ‘1500 watt light’.
Is a watt a watt, or what? 1500 minus 260 = 1240. 1240 what? If it’s not really a watt then watt the fuck is it? What are these 1240 watts that aren’t watts, and why?

I agree, that switching is not going to be helpful for you, at this point. Don't be discouraged though, as there are plenty of great LED options out there. @SmokeSara may have some helpful info for you.

Best of luck to you!

260 watts according to Amazon :(

Somebody in government sure dropped the ball back when the LED manufacturers somehow started slipping these fake wattage numbers in. It’s totally stupid, being allowed to call a 260 watt light a ‘1500 watt light’.
Is a watt a watt, or what? 1500 minus 260 = 1240. 1240 what? If it’s not really a watt then watt the fuck is it? What are these 1240 watts that aren’t watts, and why?

its a scam, the chinese dont care. they sell the lights from china where they dont have regulations so they scam people (stupid american drug users is what they call us) into the whole “1200 watt equivalent” which as barney86 said is bullshit.
as long as people buy the lights, they will never change their marketing.

its a scam, the chinese dont care. they sell the lights from china where they dont have regulations so they scam people (stupid american drug users is what they call us) into the whole “1200 watt equivalent” which as barney86 said is bullshit.
as long as people buy the lights, they will never change their marketing.

I was speaking more of the regulatory boards back home. A watt is a watt. Calling it a 1500 watt product when it only draws 260 is blatant false advertising. It’s up to our own consumer protection branches to control exactly this stuff. Or did China buy them too... wait don’t answer that.

Hi Bush, I am really feel sorry about the misleading info online. Though it is not our lights, but I feel something still hurt you. There are many sellers who only look short and want easy money.
And ppl get excited when it comes to save that much energy, imagine only 300w light to save 1000w energy. If I am not doing busines in this industry, I will also buy it. :(

In fact, for traditional led grow lights, you will need 35~50w/sft to cover your space. And in order to get the same growing result as your HPS, you might usually still need big wattage lights. such as 800w to replace 1000w HPS.

And with technology develops. now more and more new white led grow lights coming out, these lights usually can give you high ppe over 2.0umol/j, so usually if you choose these lights, they can save around 30~50% energy than traditional led grow lights. But to replace your 1000w HPS, you will still be better to choose one around 700w. From the LED, you can save 300w energy.

But that is not the only one benefit from led grow lights though:
- While from the cooling system, you will save some energy. Since LED put out less heat, so you need less cooling energy.
- LED gives more red and blue, less unnecessary lights, so your plants will grow better than under HPS, which might be the best advantage. :)

Yeah, unfortunately figuring out your light needs in LED is less simple than HPS/MH. If you ever want to venture into that arena again in the future, ask around here and you’ll definitely get pointed in the right direction.

I have 900 (440 true wats of led) and it was barley enough to get fluffy buds in a 3x3 that was a bit better than average light if that new light of yours has a bloom switch just keep bloom on and add it in with the Hps. It will help a bit . My crappy leds are ok for producing tricombs but not enough for good size. I just built a custom led to replace it. Just awapping that to the led alone will change how buds grow But not on size of buds. You will be super disappointed if you swith to that alone. 100 more wats of bloom only led added to the hps would be nice.

I have 900 (440 true wats of led) and it was barley enough to get fluffy buds in a 3x3 that was a bit better than average light if that new light of yours has a bloom switch just keep bloom on and add it in with the Hps. It will help a bit . My crappy leds are ok for producing tricombs but not enough for good size. I just built a custom led to replace it. Just awapping that to the led alone will change how buds grow But not on size of buds. You will be super disappointed if you swith to that alone. 100 more wats of bloom only led added to the hps would be nice.

There is one thing that I have to add to this. Took me a while to understand, but basically your led's need enough power to penetrate. So if you have enough led power spread evenly across your tops, say at 16" above your canopy, it will only penetrate 8" if your running at 900-1000 micromules in bloom. It could be opposite of that, I can't remember. Need fanleaf or someone to pop in on that. Also, you could be running wrong spectrums with that light. I didn't look it up, but if it's like what other people have said here, I'd keep it at aout 8" above the canopy for veg. It will stunt them and give you tighter nodes.

I bought blurples. They claimed equivalent to. So I think that’s the legal speak. If you get 4 of those it would replace the hps. But youd still be using 1000 watts just better spectrum and less heat. I’d look at hlg or similar site for real leds that save you on electricity. Like I said I was scammed too. I was studying up on them literally the week I was going to hang them and I found ledgardener comparing my shitty light to this cheaper better light. So I bought the better ones and haven’t looked back.
I was speaking more of the regulatory boards back home. A watt is a watt. Calling it a 1500 watt product when it only draws 260 is blatant false advertising. It’s up to our own consumer protection branches to control exactly this stuff. Or did China buy them too... wait don’t answer that.

See I get the opposite problem with my blurples. Mine grow fucking monsters at 480w but shit for trich production :(

See I get the opposite problem with my blurples. Mine grow fucking monsters at 480w but shit for trich production :(
I had that problem with the samsung boards I got, but then realized it was actually the strain. I'm getting it tested for cbd content. Not knowing your strain, you might want to also.

I'm also in the process of designing some boards right now. Being lazy and have not gotten to the heatsinks. Using the samsung 301 plus some cree xpe chips. I'm trying to set it up so I can pop some 5k and royal blue, then pop those out with some 3k and far red using the same power supply to make it easier for people. Basically, so you can have a 2x4 area, or just add to the other side for a 4x4 or more. I'll let you know the progress in a week or so if any are interested.

If you have the technical know-how, the quantum boards from HLG are the future. You can build your own to meet your exact growing needs and they recently officially partnered with Samsung, who's producing the boards in-house. It's too much of a project to start now, but I'm definatly going that route in my next grow.

Back
Top Bottom