Tent and LED lights - First grow

Joshindoor

Hello everybody, I am new to growing cannabis an would like some more information on some specific topics dealing with tents and LED lights. My concern is having the tent size being perfect for a Mars Hydro 600w LED as I have done countless research to find this is the best LED light for the money I am going to be spending. I ordered a 4x4 grow tent but am now thinking that will be too big for just the one Mars Hydro 600w this's is the old version light as well but I know still does very well. I want to grow 4-6 plants in soil for my first grow. This seems to be an ideal set up but just want to know if a 3x3 tent will make more sense. I really just want the best overall yield for first grow, I will also be putting the tent up in my bedroom it will be a more discrete grow. Please any information will help I have more questions but will put in a different post.

I would either run 3-4 of the 600s in a 4x4 or if you are set on running just the one light then a 3x2 tent would be better. 3x3 puts you a bit low on light. Also, the old style MH lights will get the job done, but expect the blue diodes near the center to go out within the first year. Not a big deal if you feel like doing the soldering yourself or don't mind the shipping the light back. Another reason it's nice to have multiple panels, if one breaks you still have the others to grow the plant and you aren't screwed.

Thank you JuanCarlos I appreciate that. I have a few other questions maybe you can help I would really appreciate it. Is buying 2x3 tent an or buying a 2x4 useful when maybe using 2 Mars hydro 300w. I'm not sure if that would do anything different whatsoever when I was already about to get the mh 600w. I was thinking more along the lines of where I actually set my lights in the tent to make it hit all of the plants or in this case even in a 2x4 going for a different mh model that looks more rectangular. 200$ range is what I'm looking for I know the old mh models are cheaper but in this case is it worth it?

Honestly for the price you can't really beat the old style MH lights, especially if you can solder. The diodes do crap out, but for the price there really isn't much else out there that I would want to get. If I were in your position for what you want to do, $200 could get you 3 of the 300s, throw those in a 2x4 tent and you should be good to go.

Hello everybody, I am new to growing cannabis an would like some more information on some specific topics dealing with tents and LED lights. My concern is having the tent size being perfect for a Mars Hydro 600w LED as I have done countless research to find this is the best LED light for the money I am going to be spending. I ordered a 4x4 grow tent but am now thinking that will be too big for just the one Mars Hydro 600w this's is the old version light as well but I know still does very well. I want to grow 4-6 plants in soil for my first grow. This seems to be an ideal set up but just want to know if a 3x3 tent will make more sense. I really just want the best overall yield for first grow, I will also be putting the tent up in my bedroom it will be a more discrete grow. Please any information will help I have more questions but will put in a different post.

HI and welcome to 420mag.
If you speak to Sara she is a member here and also a sales rep for @Mars Hydro lights and tents. She will help you a lot too.

Thank you once again JuanCarlos I really do appreciate it. I do have more questions if you could answer please. I would much rather keep this grow to you using either one mh 600w or 2 mh 300w cause I am trying to keep electricity to a minimum. I feel like 3 mh 300w would just be a little to much with the things already going in the bed room electricity wise cause I read that it is a thing with outlets an such although I am going to buy a power adapter an the tent will have its own outlet with 2 plug ins. Again really trying to grow 4 plants although im not sure if I can in this case. Would 2x4 be good for that or even 2x3 maybe? Or 3 plants ideal? Again thank you for helping

Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

My take is use a bigger tent rather than a smaller one for a few reasons.

1st plants have more space to grow

2nd you can gradually add more plants and lights if needed

3rd more space to work

4th better airflow through plants.

I wouldnt go less that a 4x4 space if its for flowering out plants. you could comfortably fit 4 plants in that space without over crowding. My best advice on LED is to buy the best light you can afford and it will save you trouble in the long term. LEDs arent all created equal as im sure you are aware. Failing drivers and diodes is not something you want to be worrying about, especially early on. May I suggest you look at Ninth Planet LED? they are a sponsor here. I currently use their top panels which are 1100w draw and they give scary results. Out of all the LEDs ive seen nothing compares. Its a small company and they have smaller panels also that are great. Plus you get a long warranty and panels are cree and osram diodes. Its just a suggestion and feel free to check my current journal out and you can see the power of the panels, the smaller ones are just as good but just put out less wattage per sq ft.

Any way good luck

If I were going to grow out 4 plants I wouldn't want a tent any smaller than 3x3, but as Cultivator points out a 4x4 would be good as well. As far as light goes a single 600 or dual 300s would be a decent amount of light for 6 square feet but would be on the low end for anything bigger than that in my opinion. In a 2x4 or 2x3 I personally wouldn't flower out more than 2 or 3 plants max.

Again thank you so much Cultivator and JuanCarlos. I pretty much have it narrowed down now to a 3x3 as it should have enough to grow 4 plants.? And be supported by a single mh 600w or dual mh 300w. Which would you prefer in this case if it matters at all with choosing between the 600w or dual 300w? I was thinking maybe certain way to hang lights with dual 300w for better lighting?

Dual 300s would give you more point sources of light so it should reduce shade and shadows. Also if one light were to go out completely you would have the second one so you don't lose your crop. I still think you are a bit optimistic growing 4 plants unless they are smaller plants with this amount of lighting.

So looks like 3 plants would be the ideal set up. If I did decide to the 4th plant would it be taking light away from the other 3? Or just unecesary and crowded? Also in this case if 3 plants were to be I would then get the dual mh 300w an go for a 2x4 tent as I find it would work for those lights an better set up for my room also. Let me know your thoughts as I'm probably going to go with that setup then for 3 plants, because defintley would not want to have A mediocre plant taking away from other plants.

I will start off saying I only have one grow under my belt so take it for what it is...

If you are a new grower and have questions I would stop by my first journal (signature below) and read the first couple posts. I basically was you about 5 months ago and decided to order all this stuff and give it ago. I was pretty nervous and didn't really know what to expect, especially with lights and spacing. I tailored this journal to be new grower friendly as I couldn't find much all in one place about the setups and germination and all that.

I went with a 4x4 as I wanted to grow 4 plants. I ended up with 5, and it was a little too much plant for my lights, but I have seen people do 6 plants in a 4x4 tent. I would guess a 3x3 would be a little tight when they are flowering, you would just have to hang all your fans and stuff from the tent as I don't think you will have any floor space if you end up in 5 gallon pots. I might look into a 4x4 tent but just act like the extra foot doesn't exist. Ultimately what matters is the "par" reading of the lights. Your grow area could be 100x100 and as long as the plants are put in the best par spot under the lights, than the grow space doesn't really matter. Right now you might do 2 plants. Maybe next time it's 4. At that point you need another tent now... more lights.. etc. Just keep that in mind as you start all this, it is quite the addiction to grow. You might want to almost plan on it and think about that when you purchase this equipment. Also think about what your goals are. If you expect to get monster plants like you see on these forums with just one or two $100 lights than your goals might be doomed before they start. Just be realistic!

I had bought 2 Mars Reflector 96s (They would be ideal for a 3x4 space) and in hindsight I think I wish I had gone with 2 reflector 144s for my 4x4. With that being said my original purchase was for 2 of the 48s and I emailed the company and cancelled them to get the 96s and was very grateful I did. My point is I just was clueless and in the beginning I really thought 2 48s would cover my 4x4. If I would have done that I would have been so mad, so make sure you do your research. I was so eager to get started I almost blew it. Mars Hydro is a great company for the value so you are looking in the right place for sure. I ended up yielding a little over 2 oz/plant. I'm excited now to try just 4 as they will get more light each. You'll notice in some of the later pics in my journal you can almost see where the perfect light was. My largest colas grew in almost a circle and often Mars Hydro has these par figures on their website and the spacing it covers.

Sorry for the long message but I felt like it was important. :welcome: to the site. You won't need to go anywhere else for information.

Back
Top Bottom