The 4x4 Grow Tent Club

Not sure what you mean by drainage with the manifold?
When the 1 minute cycle is complete the distribution line to the manifold drains into the pots. When I first set this up I wanted exact times so I put an check valve inline but did not have enough pressure above the valve to make it work, so I just live with the extra solution, just adjusted my cycles for it.

That two reservoir setup is a little confusing to me. Is it setup to refill automatically when emptied? What's it recirculating.
I fill the lower rez with my nute solution and circulate it to the upper rez. The solution is slowly pumped to the upper rez. There is a standpipe in the upper rez and when rez is full it drains back into the lower rez and that drainage bubbles so it provides O2 to the rez's so airstones are not needed, don't like them anyway in a DTW. The nutrient solution is recirculating but not all the time.

I'm trying to setup just a simple drain-to-waste drip-water system, not necessarily on a timer or automatic or anything, but I just want to be able to run the drip-feeds instead of hand watering and maybe be able to set it up on a wifi-enabled AC adapter so I can turn it off and off remotely ( instead of a timer ) for vacation watering.
This is exactly what I have set up and that is exactly why I set it up this way, to allow some time away. I tried Blumats, total failure on my part, the say they work, but didn't work for me, lost entire crop. So I tried different setup until I got it right for me. Not sure why you don't want to use a timer.
I run four cycles when the lights are on, and the lower refill/recirculation pump come on 3 hrs before the first cycle at 9PM to refill from the previous days watering and reciculates until just before the cycles starts again. At that point I check/adjust pH as needed, if needed, then it is off for till the cycles are completed, no pH drift. I add solution to the lower rez in the mornings and allow the solution to sit until it begins recirculating prior to cycle start.
No nothing about being able to turn it on remotely, I would be concerned I wouldn't have wifi connection. :( Nothing is foolproof, we've had timers die but I have a backup plan when I am away. I have a buddy who I am working with on his grow, he is a nube. He comes by in my absence and checks things. :)

I believe the setup is very simple, efficient and dependable. The only thing that I wish I had are timers that can be adjusted in seconds.

Sorry I did not explain myself well in the original post.using a timer that come on after each cycle to refill the upper rez

GR

Dang man, that sounds complicated. Not in a, criticizing way, I mean I can't really wrap my head around what's happening there. How is everything pumped up to the upper rez, I had assumed you let gravity take the upper res to the lower one. Interesting.

Biggest reason I don't want to use a timer is because any that can run on 1 minute intervals are more expense than I really want right now, might integrate one later but right now I'm just trying to get the actual drip-feed setup before I worry about the timing and stuff. But I don't know if I should be considering it all together.

For example, there's these little pressure-drip things that I see let out 1/2 g per hour, so I was thinking that with a timer that has 15 minute intervals on it, that would mean it would get watered 1 quart of water. But I don't know how accurate that is, or if the way I'm thinking of setting up the submersible pump would even work right.

Dang man, that sounds complicated. Not in a, criticizing way, I mean I can't really wrap my head around what's happening there. How is everything pumped up to the upper rez, I had assumed you let gravity take the upper res to the lower one. Interesting.

Biggest reason I don't want to use a timer is because any that can run on 1 minute intervals are more expense than I really want right now, might integrate one later but right now I'm just trying to get the actual drip-feed setup before I worry about the timing and stuff. But I don't know if I should be considering it all together.

For example, there's these little pressure-drip things that I see let out 1/2 g per hour, so I was thinking that with a timer that has 15 minute intervals on it, that would mean it would get watered 1 quart of water. But I don't know how accurate that is, or if the way I'm thinking of setting up the submersible pump would even work right.

I tired the drippers, without a min pressure they did not work for me, very spotty watering.
The lower rez has a smaller pump than the upper rez, but it pumps solution from the lower to the upper, it just gives me added capacity. I use around three gallon of solution a night, with both rez's I have about 15 gallons so I have about three to four days of solution, as neither pump totally picks up the solution. There is three to four gallon total left in both rez's. To increase the capacity I would just need to increase the sizes of my rez's. The lower is 14 gallon but I only fill it half way during full grow, the upper is 10 gallon and I have the level set at around 5 to 6 gallons.

You will definitely need a sub pump, google "What do I need to build a drip irrigation system"/

What are those little open-nozzle looking things you have called? Do they drip or kind of just flow? I don't really NEED a drip-system, or a spray, etc. I'm not picky, I just want to get the water from a resevoir into the pots equally. I had been considering just poking holes in the line. This is basically what I'm thinking about as far as the plumbing goes...

drip_design.png

So I would have a submersible pump either in the bottom of the reservoir, or just have the hoses going down, either way, I'd leave the manifold over/ the reservoir in case it got leaky so that way it would just leak back into the reservoir instead of all over my floor. Each power cord would go out into the flower tent where there's a power bar, and the rest would sit in the middle of the two tents.

So then the pots, I kind of flipped the perspective just to show you the layout of my 5 in each tent, and that I plan to run the hoses in to each pot but to keep all the length's equal. I'm thinking 5' would be the best length to be able to reach throughout the 4x'4 area, be routed in, and still have enough slack to work easily enough.

The manifolds I'm looking at ( same one you had in your picture I'm pretty sure ) are supposed to be 20 gph max, and the pumps I'm looking at are all 80+, so I believe there's enough over-head that if I just keep the hoses equal that the pressure differential at the end and beginning of the lines, and all coming out from a "central" point ( as far as the volume of water is concerned ), that will keep the flow equal. What I'm worried about is one pot getting way more water than the other with the same amount of time. Do you know if this "lift" spec on pumps makes a difference for what I'm trying there? Because it seems like that's talking about fighting gravity, whereas these will be laid out on the floor. I can even lift the reservoir to help give it more pressure, but I have to balance that out with the hose length.

I'm really just going for as simple and cheap as possible so I plan to use something like a 18 gallon rubbermaid tote as the reservoir, an 80 gph pump, and then just buy about 50 ft of line and whatever various plumbing adapters may also be needed. I'm wondering if I'll need some kind of riser to connect the manifold to the pump.

I feel like the timing/automation thing will be trickier to work out. I don't run coco or anything like that, so I have to be careful of not over-watering. I don't really know what quantity I could water at a given interval per day because I'm so used to just drenching the pot and letting it dry before drenching it again. I figured I would just time the drip system to see how long it took to water until run off, and then just run it for that amount of time ever 3 days or something like that.

It might seem like more of a pain to do it this way if I'm not making it all automated, but really I'm just trying to make things easier for me to water it manually; but if I'm able to take advantage of it for vacations or something like that, that's cool too, I'm just looking at that as a goal down-the-line for now. Want to get the plumbing of it all figured out first.

I'll probably just do one setup first rather than rig both tents at once.

What are those little open-nozzle looking things you have called? Do they drip or kind of just flow? I don't really NEED a drip-system, or a spray, etc. I'm not picky, I just want to get the water from a resevoir into the pots equally. I had been considering just poking holes in the line. This is basically what I'm thinking about as far as the plumbing goes...

drip_design.png

So I would have a submersible pump either in the bottom of the reservoir, or just have the hoses going down, either way, I'd leave the manifold over/ the reservoir in case it got leaky so that way it would just leak back into the reservoir instead of all over my floor. Each power cord would go out into the flower tent where there's a power bar, and the rest would sit in the middle of the two tents.

So then the pots, I kind of flipped the perspective just to show you the layout of my 5 in each tent, and that I plan to run the hoses in to each pot but to keep all the length's equal. I'm thinking 5' would be the best length to be able to reach throughout the 4x'4 area, be routed in, and still have enough slack to work easily enough.

The manifolds I'm looking at ( same one you had in your picture I'm pretty sure ) are supposed to be 20 gph max, and the pumps I'm looking at are all 80+, so I believe there's enough over-head that if I just keep the hoses equal that the pressure differential at the end and beginning of the lines, and all coming out from a "central" point ( as far as the volume of water is concerned ), that will keep the flow equal. What I'm worried about is one pot getting way more water than the other with the same amount of time. Do you know if this "lift" spec on pumps makes a difference for what I'm trying there? Because it seems like that's talking about fighting gravity, whereas these will be laid out on the floor. I can even lift the reservoir to help give it more pressure, but I have to balance that out with the hose length

I'm really just going for as simple and cheap as possible so I plan to use something like a 18 gallon rubbermaid tote as the reservoir, an 80 gph pump, and then just buy about 50 ft of line and whatever various plumbing adapters may also be needed. I'm wondering if I'll need some kind of riser to connect the manifold to the pump.

I feel like the timing/automation thing will be trickier to work out. I don't run coco or anything like that, so I have to be careful of not over-watering. I don't really know what quantity I could water at a given interval per day because I'm so used to just drenching the pot and letting it dry before drenching it again. I figured I would just time the drip system to see how long it took to water until run off, and then just run it for that amount of time ever 3 days or something like that.

It might seem like more of a pain to do it this way if I'm not making it all automated, but really I'm just trying to make things easier for me to water it manually; but if I'm able to take advantage of it for vacations or something like that, that's cool too, I'm just looking at that as a goal down-the-line for now. Want to get the plumbing of it all figured out first.

I'll probably just do one setup first rather than rig both tents at once.

Good luck with your method. Hopefully you will get it right.
You will eventually automate it all. Even though it is more work than hand watering, filling, cleaning - tank, filters and the such, it is one of the best things I have done to my system. Has taken a lot of pressure off me, to be sure your their all the time to hand water.
GR

I see you are looking at putting two pump in one rez, watch out for heat issues.

A little update on my 4 x 4 tent.
Day 56 12/12
Barney's Farm LSD 5 plants Vertical

Less than a week to go. May harvest some of the main cola early as they seem to be ripening faster than the lower part of the plant.

20180118_074204_2_.jpg
20180118_075032_2_.jpg

20180118_074019_2_.jpg

20180118_074204_2_.jpg
20180118_074506_2_.jpg
20180118_074819_2_.jpg
20180118_074219.jpg
20180118_074831_2_.jpg
20180118_074042_2_.jpg
20180118_073417_2_.jpg
20180114_082707_2_.jpg

GR

I don't know if mine will look like all of yours at the end but they are looking better then my last grow so that's what matters to me. Topping them has definitely paid off so far. Next grow I'll test training them and take a crack at a method I seen called manifolding. I'll keep posting these along the way. This is about day 28 of flower. Just did a flush and will be switching to my week 4 - 7 nutes starting Monday.
8d7d22d0adb23c24c2c71c137fb297cf.jpg
877a403585ac97b9aef484adf21fe04b.jpg
2756c4f167f66fa420a1a28b70af813f.jpg
9bcb6be8069732aae23b72e798e297f6.jpg
04fd5faa11c119ef08d50d84a5b280d5.jpg

I don't know if mine will look like all of yours at the end but they are looking better then my last grow so that's what matters to me. Topping them has definitely paid off so far. Next grow I'll test training them and take a crack at a method I seen called manifolding. I'll keep posting these along the way. This is about day 28 of flower. Just did a flush and will be switching to my week 4 - 7 nutes starting Monday.

You may want to check into other DTW methods, Manifolding will give you some nice cola, but your quantity is limited. There is SCROG, SOG, Vertical and others that will produce larger crops. Training time must also be considered.
I did Manifolding for a few yrs back, got some great looking cola's but quantity was not there. I am running vert now but am considering trying a scrog, don't think I will beat the results of my Verts though.

Just an option.

You may want to check into other DTW methods, Manifolding will give you some nice cola, but your quantity is limited. There is SCROG, SOG, Vertical and others that will produce larger crops. Training time must also be considered.
I did Manifolding for a few yrs back, got some great looking cola's but quantity was not there. I am running vert now but am considering trying a scrog, don't think I will beat the results of my Verts though.

Just an option.
I've been following your grow and definitely appreciate the tips. I'm gonna put a net in my 4x4 next grow and give that a try. I've seen people do the sog and fell in love with that sea of green lol. I may pass up the manifolding em cause I grow for personal use so the bigger yield is kinda important to me since I only do 4 at a time and only 3 to 4 grows a year. I'm shooting for not having to spend any money on meds all year so that we have that much more fun on the family vacations. Lol

GR I also have barneys LSD, looking forward to starting them. They look great!

If they are Barneys Farm, I would run a SCROG, that's how I am sort of running the second half of this grow. Not going to put a screen over it but keep it low as possible. I don't have the time to veg it out for a scrog.
As you can see the lower buds will fill out nicely when exposed to enough light, so I think a good scrog setup would be great.

GR

Here I am at week 8. I think I've gone about as far as I can with training on these two. The node spacing looks pretty good to me, but I want one more week of veg just to add a little more length to the tops. The one on the left is Ultraviolence and the one on the right is a Prism #1. Next Sunday, I'm going to put them in to bloom. Then the countdown begins. I hope it turns out well.

20180121_111829.jpg
20180121_111818.jpg
20180121_111726.jpg
20180121_111703.jpg
20180121_111640.jpg
20180121_111630.jpg

GR
they are from barneys farm, I will absolutely do a SCROG on them. I got 5 should be able to fill a 4x4 good with that:thumb:

If they are Barneys Farm, I would run a SCROG, that's how I am sort of running the second half of this grow. Not going to put a screen over it but keep it low as possible. I don't have the time to veg it out for a scrog.
As you can see the lower buds will fill out nicely when exposed to enough light, so I think a good scrog setup would be great.

GR

GR
they are from barneys farm, I will absolutely do a SCROG on them. I got 5 should be able to fill a 4x4 good with that:thumb:

Are they clones or seeds, I got at least 4 pheno's out of 9 seeds, started 10 one did not make it. If you have time, you should veg to see how the pheno's play out and choose the ones that are closer in genetics/phenotype.

It looks like bud rot. If you pull one of the brown spots, does it come off easily? If it does, it's bud rot.

Yeah it comes off easily can I just take it off and smoke the rest ? Kinda nervous and don't know why I didn't think of this before

Back
Top Bottom