The dreadful 3 week into flower yellow!

MrFrosty

420 Member
Why is this happening? since I’ve started growing last July I’ve had a horrible problem with my plants yellowing 3 weeks into flower. I use day old tap( to dissipate chlorine), with mills, R the first 2 weeks then c4 then pk week 7 then tap bs last week. Should I start using chicken poop in early flower? I feed water feed waterin early flower. Is it nitrogen? Over watering, over lighting? Light bleaching? I have problems with spider mites in veg but not in flower.

Attachments

• 9BEDBD6C-6564-4048-B952-333D447D47D6.jpeg
    9BEDBD6C-6564-4048-B952-333D447D47D6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
  • E8ADC53B-F679-40BD-A2CC-5E1B2D43358E.jpeg
    E8ADC53B-F679-40BD-A2CC-5E1B2D43358E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 159
Did they start yellowing from the bottom up ? If so that's normal. Leaves yellow from the bottom up in flower & fall off. If it started on the top & worked it's way down it's light bleaching. I can see it's not light bleaching. The upper tips of your buds will start turning white if your lights are too close. Are you growing in soil or Coco ? Do you check your pH & run off pH ? They should both be somewhere around 6.4 for soil & 5.8 for Coco. Things don't look to bad to me. If you're really concerned check & make sure your pH is correct. If not, adjust it by running about 3-5 gallons of pH correct water through each plant. If it's correct, add some CalMag plus to increase the iron some. The buds are sucking the nutrients out of the leaves & that's a good thing. You really don't even need the fan leaves. I've taken 90% of the leaves off in the past right before I start flowering. They will still bud up with or without the leaves. Hope this helps some.

Why is this happening? since I’ve started growing last July I’ve had a horrible problem with my plants yellowing 3 weeks into flower. I use day old tap( to dissipate chlorine), with mills, R the first 2 weeks then c4 then pk week 7 then tap bs last week. Should I start using chicken poop in early flower? I feed water feed waterin early flower. Is it nitrogen? Over watering, over lighting? Light bleaching? I have problems with spider mites in veg but not in flower.

Hey @MrFrosty , let's see if we can help - so, let's get a bit more information.

I see you are in fabric pots which is good - are you in soil? or coco? What type of soil - Fox Farm etc?

When was the last time you flushed away the salt build up in the soil? We need to keep the soil healthy and clean.

The yellowing may mean Nitrogen deficiency - but it could also mean nutrient lock out.

When can we get a closeup of the fan leaves please?

What is the pH of the water you are using? There are different ranges for soil and coco.

pHChartForSoilAndCoco.gif

Are you following the Mills feeding schedule?

Are you letting the pots almost dry out in between feeds?

What strain is it? Autoflower or Photoperiod?

You can skim these articles as you're doing research on your issue, and see if anything jumps out at you:

Healthy Roots For Healthy Cannabis Plants

How To Prevent And Fix Root Bound Cannabis

Good luck - and keep us posted on your progress.

Did they start yellowing from the bottom up ? If so that's normal. Leaves yellow from the bottom up in flower & fall off. If it started on the top & worked it's way down it's light bleaching. I can see it's not light bleaching. The upper tips of your buds will start turning white if your lights are too close. Are you growing in soil or Coco ? Do you check your pH & run off pH ? They should both be somewhere around 6.4 for soil & 5.8 for Coco. Things don't look to bad to me. If you're really concerned check & make sure your pH is correct. If not, adjust it by running about 3-5 gallons of pH correct water through each plant. If it's correct, add some CalMag plus to increase the iron some. The buds are sucking the nutrients out of the leaves & that's a good thing. You really don't even need the fan leaves. I've taken 90% of the leaves off in the past right before I start flowering. They will still bud up with or without the leaves. Hope this helps some.

Hey @Buds Buddy , I'm not sure if I've met you yet - but these are some good questions you were asking @MrFrosty .

He's only at week 3 of flower, so the plant should not be senescing yet.

The light is likely not an issue. Although we typically defoliate the bottom 1/3 of a plant one week before flipping to 12-12. This helps drive energy up to the top of the plant.

As the plant canopy thickens, less light will get to the bottom 1/3 of the plant and the plant will decide to use the energy from those lower leaves - at that point, they will naturally die and fall off.

We typically only do selective defoliation after flowering has started - we do not want to stress a flowering plant.

Remember, the fan leaves are critical - they are factories - they are needed to catch the light and drive photosynthesis. The leaves also have stomata necessary for temperature regulation, oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange, and foliar feeding.

The plant will still bud up - but with more fan leaves, more light and more airflow then the buds will be bigger and more dense.

Here's a quick article that may help:

Yellow Cannabis Leaves

I’m growing in soil. I check my ph when I water with any type of nutes, I keep it between 6-7 but I don’t check the run off. I had thought about flushing them with just water at 6.8. I will try that. They are yellowing from the bottom up. And that is interesting to know about the fan leaves. Thank you for your reply.

Hey @MrFrosty , let's see if we can help - so, let's get a bit more information.

I see you are in fabric pots which is good - are you in soil? or coco? What type of soil - Fox Farm etc?

When was the last time you flushed away the salt build up in the soil? We need to keep the soil healthy and clean.

The yellowing may mean Nitrogen deficiency - but it could also mean nutrient lock out.

When can we get a closeup of the fan leaves please?

What is the pH of the water you are using? There are different ranges for soil and coco.

pHChartForSoilAndCoco.gif

Are you following the Mills feeding schedule?

Are you letting the pots almost dry out in between feeds?

What strain is it? Autoflower or Photoperiod?

You can skim this article as you're doing research on your issue, and see if anything jumps out at you:

Healthy Roots For Healthy Cannabis Plants

How To Prevent And Fix Root Bound Cannabis

Good luck - and keep us posted on your progress.
I’m growing in Soil. And yes I am following their feeding schedule. Honestly I feel like in flower I have to water every day sometimes or they dry out. I may not be watering enough in one sitting which is making me have to water everyday. I use a 25-75 ratio mix of Happy Frog and roots Organic. These plants you see here have reused soil. I know that I’m not suppose to do that but we had to do what we had to do at the time. I got most of the old roots out of the soil and sprayed with a bleach solution before I transplanted and used it. Could this be my yellowing issue?

Attachments

• 3C857551-ACCB-4963-A122-F0B427067480.jpeg
    3C857551-ACCB-4963-A122-F0B427067480.jpeg
    785.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 3E50CAA2-B233-4F1D-BEF8-AB64695E5657.jpeg
    3E50CAA2-B233-4F1D-BEF8-AB64695E5657.jpeg
    835.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 6ED9C6E5-BE57-49F8-A568-6B55F10C89A5.jpeg
    6ED9C6E5-BE57-49F8-A568-6B55F10C89A5.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 121
  • C66D0E44-492E-42B3-B76C-F0863F73506C.jpeg
    C66D0E44-492E-42B3-B76C-F0863F73506C.jpeg
    799.9 KB · Views: 120
I’m growing in soil. I check my ph when I water with any type of nutes, I keep it between 6-7 but I don’t check the run off. I had thought about flushing them with just water at 6.8. I will try that. They are yellowing from the bottom up. And that is interesting to know about the fan leaves. Thank you for your reply.

Checking your pH for soil feeding is good - try to keep it between 6.3 and 6.8 - the soil will buffer the pH naturally, but try to keep the range narrow. Some people like to go a bit high one feed, then a bit lower on another feed.

Run-off pH and TDS for soil means a less than run-off pH and TDS in coco.

When you water soil, do it slowly and you only need a bit of run-off - maybe 10%.

Flushing soil is very important for plant maintenance.

When we feed soil with salt-based nutrients, salt and impurities will build up over time. As this happens, the pH of the soil can drift and the roots find it more and more difficult to uptake water. The salt build up can also lead to decreased healthy microlife.

Every three to four weeks we will run 3x the pot size of pH 6.3 to 6.8 water through the pot - do it on a watering day not a feeding day - this will clear out the soil. Anything less than 3x the pot size is not called flushing.

Yellowing from the bottom up typically makes us think there is an issue in the root zone.

Flushing sounds like a good place to start.

I’m growing in Soil. And yes I am following their feeding schedule. Honestly I feel like in flower I have to water every day sometimes or they dry out. I may not be watering enough in one sitting which is making me have to water everyday. I use a 25-75 ratio mix of Happy Frog and roots Organic. These plants you see here have reused soil. I know that I’m not suppose to do that but we had to do what we had to do at the time. I got most of the old roots out of the soil and sprayed with a bleach solution before I transplanted and used it. Could this be my yellowing issue?

We want to have a well established wet/dry cycle for soil feeding/watering. Water will collect at the bottom of the pot and we don't want to water again until that is gone. It's important to know how heavy your pots are wet and dry - if you only check the top of the soil - you may be tempted to water a non thirsty plant. A thirsty plant will have its fan leaves drooping.

Reusing soil is fine. We just add in a few minerals and compost, remove the roots and we're good to go again.

I have not heard of spraying soil with bleach before - but at week 3 of flower, that is not an issue now.

The last 4 pictures make me think that the plant is starving - and there are issues in the root zone.

Let's try flushing and then following up immediately with a feed - then wait a few days to see if the color comes back.

Also, make sure you look for bugs and eggs with a jewelers loop - just to be sure.

Checking your pH for soil feeding is good - try to keep it between 6.3 and 6.8 - the soil will buffer the pH naturally, but try to keep the range narrow. Some people like to go a bit high one feed, then a bit lower on another feed.

Run-off pH and TDS for soil means a less than run-off pH and TDS in coco.

When you water soil, do it slowly and you only need a bit of run-off - maybe 10%.

Flushing soil is very important for plant maintenance.

When we feed soil with salt-based nutrients, salt and impurities will build up over time. As this happens, the pH of the soil can drift and the roots find it more and more difficult to uptake water. The salt build up can also lead to decreased healthy microlife.

Every three to four weeks we will run 3x the pot size of pH 6.3 to 6.8 water through the pot - do it on a watering day not a feeding day - this will clear out the soil. Anything less than 3x the pot size is not called flushing.

Yellowing from the bottom up typically makes us think there is an issue in the root zone.

Flushing sounds like a good place to start.
Okay awesome. I will start with that. As before I have not been flushing at all, just watering with blackstrap and tap the last week and a half. I’ve read some more on salt build up and seen pictures and thinking this is a most likely cause.

Okay awesome. I will start with that. As before I have not been flushing at all, just watering with blackstrap and tap the last week and a half. I’ve read some more on salt build up and seen pictures and thinking this is a most likely cause.

Cool! And I will go see if I can find some good articles on flushing - plants that is :)

Keep us posted - Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom