The first rule of watering is to always water slowly, using no more than a quart at a time, pausing often to let the soil suck air in behind the water as it pools on the top
I go back to plant #1 and repeat the cycle. For 2 rounds, I water the entire surface of the soil, watching it pool up and get sucked down.
I want to do whatever I can to make the outside edges of the container, the wettest areas. Still only using a quart at a time,
ALL of this is 1quart or

3 quart

Thanks for the comments there all helpful. Dan.

Hi emilya I read your article about watering slowly from the outside in and have a question about the technique. When I water 1 liter of water in a 1 gallon pot in 3 parts starting from the outside of the pot and work my way to the middle so I slowly water around the root ball on the last stage of watering or do I water directly over the root ball in the middle? Thanks!

Hi emilya I read your article about watering slowly from the outside in and have a question about the technique. When I water 1 liter of water in a 1 gallon pot in 3 parts starting from the outside of the pot and work my way to the middle so I slowly water around the root ball on the last stage of watering or do I water directly over the root ball in the middle? Thanks!
Last stage is watering around the rootball in the middle, trying to drive that super fine soil in there out toward the middle so as to leave room for more roots.

Thank you so much StoneOtter for your kind words and your support. I see that my work in that article is now being shared all over the world and on several forums, but according to the search engines, the nexus of that support is happening right here at 420magazine. It amazes and makes me proud that if you do a search on how to water in any of the major search engines, it refers you to my sticky post here. That is freaking awesome, and I thank each and every one of you who have shared my mission to help new people learn how to properly water a weed... it seems the word is getting out!
I remember reading your post for the first time and it felt like the missing piece of the puzzle. Since then I’ve not perfected the art of teasing the roots at the top, but I am exponentially better at thoroughly wetting the container I’m in while flowering.
I picked up a concrete sprayer for watering as it has a long handle and it’s pressure based. The tank holds 3.5 gallons at its maximum. Most importantly the nozzle makes it very easy to evenly saturate the medium.
Beforehand I was just using a pitcher and dumping water on top of the plant, watching half of it go out the bottom. Cringe.

Cheers Emilya!

Back
Top Bottom