The Things We Do For Love

bigboerboel

The things we do for love. Record breaking heat here through next Thursday. Temps 101-103 with almost no wind. One plant has been OK, but the other is showing signs of heat stress. The question...

Is a 50% sunscreen and airflow the right thing to do? Or, just water the S#!T out the them in the morning and afternoon and let them have the full sun?

Thanks again.

20220904_082107.jpg

20220904_082133.jpg

Is a 50% sunscreen and airflow the right thing to do? Or, just water the S#!T out the them in the morning and afternoon and let them have the full sun?
I have heard of lettuce farmers using a sunscreen of one type or another. Most lettuce varieties do not do well once it gets blazing hot for more than a day or two in a row.

Watering helps to cool the ground. There is going to be evaporation so some cooling. Do not know how much help the fan will be.

I have heard of lettuce farmers using a sunscreen of one type or another. Most lettuce varieties do not do well once it gets blazing hot for more than a day or two in a row.

Watering helps to cool the ground. There is going to be evaporation so some cooling. Do not know how much help the fan will be.
I have the fan running because I was worried the 50% shade net would hold in some of the heat. I know 50% has decent ventilation, but without wind, there isn't much circulation in the low area of the yard.

I'm watering 4 gal each in the early morning, but I think I'll do a light 1 gal water around 3pm. Nothing on the leaves of course.

EDIT: It's 103 now, at 11:30am.

I bet they would like some mist as well... nice cool water, pump sprayer.
They make these type of cooling spray gizmos for patios or decks. Have to be able to plug them in and need to be able to run a hose to them. Turn them on and the water is pushed out as a mist and a small fan directs it at the area where the people would be seated. The people who were seated in the area said it was a lot cooler than just a fan. I have no idea how efficient they actually are for something like plants.

Back
Top Bottom