TheNarrator Learns to Grow - Multi-Strain - LED

Ok quick post since I'm trying to get things finished this year.... but. I would get a 10$ accurite from the local shop or amzn before I try and save 5$ on a meter that is +/-5% accurate? No you can't restart curing once it's gone below 55% RH. It's worth 10$, argubly much more. perfect rack! :thumb:

I think I will get both so I can test the cheap ass ones, interested to see if they work well at all.

Where are your trichs? Can the plants survive unattended for the week? If not, then whoever's going to water them can also burp them. But it would also depend on the temps, and what the RH is in the jar when you left it for a week.

Where are your trichs? Can the plants survive unattended for the week? If not, then whoever's going to water them can also burp them. But it would also depend on the temps, and what the RH is in the jar when you left it for a week.

2F2V would definitely survive, its drinking less and less these days, would have to set up some sort of a wick for the Pineapple Chunks to help them out a little I think but they would be fine otherwise.

Ambers are only just starting to creep in, maybe 5-10% but another 20 days and I'm guessing a lot of the THC would degrade?

Another option I was considering which is sort of mid ground would be to harvest on say the 10th, make sure that theres no airflow/mould issues before I leave on the 13th and then hopefully come back to dried buds?

If worst comes to worst I could get my housemate to water and burp once or twice while I was gone but would rather not if I can avoid it.

Ok finished construction. Vault 108, errr 113 is open :cheer:

And Happy New Year btw ;3

So, your one girl is turning amber, she's as potent as she's ever going to be right now (or yesterday) basically. The more amber = more narcosis, so I'd say cut her now, get a idea what the high is like, and let another plant amber if you really want it.

I suppose it really all depends on the RH in the jar when you go away, and the temp. High humidity and low temp doesn't make mold. I'm not sure if sub 50f (in a fridge say) would stop the cure or just slow it way down. Freezing I'm sure would kill it, and blow cells etc. Just thinking off the top of my head here. And in this case I'd say a larger jar would be preferable to a small jar. But cutting tonight or tomorrow, you could wind up in a decent zone to leave them for a week. It's really impossible to say.

So, cut now when she's ripe as she'll get, or wait and possibly make it meh? It's your first harvest. Cut it now, you will always regret blowing your first harvest cause you decided to wait. Just deal with everything as it comes.

Ok finished construction. Vault 108, errr 113 is open :cheer:

And Happy New Year btw ;3

So, your one girl is turning amber, she's as potent as she's ever going to be right now (or yesterday) basically. The more amber = more narcosis, so I'd say cut her now, get a idea what the high is like, and let another plant amber if you really want it.

I suppose it really all depends on the RH in the jar when you go away, and the temp. High humidity and low temp doesn't make mold. I'm not sure if sub 50f (in a fridge say) would stop the cure or just slow it way down. Freezing I'm sure would kill it, and blow cells etc. Just thinking off the top of my head here. And in this case I'd say a larger jar would be preferable to a small jar. But cutting tonight or tomorrow, you could wind up in a decent zone to leave them for a week. It's really impossible to say.

So, cut now when she's ripe as she'll get, or wait and possibly make it meh? It's your first harvest. Cut it now, you will always regret blowing your first harvest cause you decided to wait. Just deal with everything as it comes.

Good work, hope all went to plan!

Thanks my friend, back at you :party: (been looking for a reason to use that)

Your post is a pretty good summary of my thought processes throughout the day. Essentially the main problem is just not having personal experience to go from, and I hate doing things without at least thinking that I know what I am doing.

But with the trichomes, reduction in water consumption and crispy/yellowing leaves I am never going to be more confident then I am now. And like you say, its my first plant. Gotta set the mark somewhere and go from there.

Just waiting for a friend to leave (more like get out of my house so I can harvest my plant already :laughtwo:) and then I'm doing it, got my fan leaf zone and my sugar leaf tip zone all setup ready for some chopping action!

My brain very much agrees with your logic. I'll take some snaps throughout the process.

Then once the (LED) sun rises I will move my drying setup into the tent and I also bought some metal trellis to put around the walls to help keep the Pineapple Chunks a good distance from the light.

So down came 2 Fast 2 Vast, I had read plenty saying harvesting and trimming was a time consuming and sticky process and it definitely was on both fronts, put on some music and had a couple of beers and got in the zone, I might have to enlist help when doing the Pineapple Chunks or it could take me a whole day!

So, a fairly unimpressive yield, but the buds that are there are dense and frosty. Super happy to get anything from my first plant, let alone one that I nearly killed multiple times.

Will get some more impressive photos of the buds when I get time to take some in good light but got a couple mid trim (wanted to take photos throughout but underestimated the stickiness!

And into the drying setup ready to go back into the tent when the lights come back on :)

My hands still have a lovely lemon smell to them, I reckon this bud will taste nice once cured :thumb:

Nah don't really worry about that too much. The big thing is for the buds to not be touching, since this is a dead air/mold point. My first reaction looking closer at your rig is 'wow that's a lot of stem'. But I think that's better than what I did , since I ended up with too little stem, so the buds dried too quickly initially.

Pretty much for the next week, check a stem (or stems of the same diameter) after a few days to see if it'll crush, bend, fail, or snap.

crush= wet, like growing
bend = drying, but still too supple (RH still way too high)
fail = this is how a pipe 'fails', a failure and collapse at one point.
snap = catastrophic failure with the stem coming apart cleanly.

The point where the stem will fail or snap is what you're after. Many people can wait till the stems actually snap. But if you have higher than optimal transpiration (that is the 'cure' mechanism) you'd want to jar when the stem fails. At both points, the buds and hairs will start to feel dry, almost too dry. Don't get too cautious and jar too wet. One thing I'm going to do next harvest is cut a bud length I can jar, so I can get a spot RH reading of sorts, but that's an aside. When you pick up your curing jar you might be able to do that, esp with those cheapie meters.

This goes into the big cure jar, or small cure jar. I may be wrong here, in a smaller jar will keep transpiration slower, so it's better, that it will have the moisture move through the plant slower, and do something so that thing doesn't what else, resulting in a tastier bud. OR...
Like my odd mind works a larger jar gives your buds amble elbow room, but also a bigger piece of 'dry' air to suck all the moisture out of the buds into. I found it convenient, easy on the buds, the jars aren't sugar coated (my stash jars are, which is how it should be), and I found the whole RH of the buds much easier to follow.

The one thing that a big jar does allow for, that might be counter productive, is to burp multiple times a day. Say you jar and you're @ 72%. Open the jar for two hours, seal it, and as the humidity closes to 71-72%, you burp again. I would think this could cause the buds to dry "too quickly" if you do this past 69-70%, since I do believe a slow cure has better results than a 'rushed' cure, for lack of a better term.

So I think by the time you have to leave, if you're in a good 65-70 or less spread, with a big jar you should be able to go a week without burping, as long as your temps are nice and on the low 'mold scale'.

I would find the most trusted person you can to burp your weed for you though, since anything short of that, you'll be justifiably worried all week. And to hedge your bets, maybe jar your weed in multiple jars (one justification of curing in small jars, one mold breakout won't infect your whole crop).

Nah don't really worry about that too much. The big thing is for the buds to not be touching, since this is a dead air/mold point. My first reaction looking closer at your rig is 'wow that's a lot of stem'. But I think that's better than what I did , since I ended up with too little stem, so the buds dried too quickly initially.

Pretty much for the next week, check a stem (or stems of the same diameter) after a few days to see if it'll crush, bend, fail, or snap.

crush= wet, like growing
bend = drying, but still too supple (RH still way too high)
fail = this is how a pipe 'fails', a failure and collapse at one point.
snap = catastrophic failure with the stem coming apart cleanly.

The point where the stem will fail or snap is what you're after. Many people can wait till the stems actually snap. But if you have higher than optimal transpiration (that is the 'cure' mechanism) you'd want to jar when the stem fails. At both points, the buds and hairs will start to feel dry, almost too dry. Don't get too cautious and jar too wet. One thing I'm going to do next harvest is cut a bud length I can jar, so I can get a spot RH reading of sorts, but that's an aside. When you pick up your curing jar you might be able to do that, esp with those cheapie meters.

This goes into the big cure jar, or small cure jar. I may be wrong here, in a smaller jar will keep transpiration slower, so it's better, that it will have the moisture move through the plant slower, and do something so that thing doesn't what else, resulting in a tastier bud. OR...
Like my odd mind works a larger jar gives your buds amble elbow room, but also a bigger piece of 'dry' air to suck all the moisture out of the buds into. I found it convenient, easy on the buds, the jars aren't sugar coated (my stash jars are, which is how it should be), and I found the whole RH of the buds much easier to follow.

The one thing that a big jar does allow for, that might be counter productive, is to burp multiple times a day. Say you jar and you're @ 72%. Open the jar for two hours, seal it, and as the humidity closes to 71-72%, you burp again. I would think this could cause the buds to dry "too quickly" if you do this past 69-70%, since I do believe a slow cure has better results than a 'rushed' cure, for lack of a better term.

So I think by the time you have to leave, if you're in a good 65-70 or less spread, with a big jar you should be able to go a week without burping, as long as your temps are nice and on the low 'mold scale'.

I would find the most trusted person you can to burp your weed for you though, since anything short of that, you'll be justifiably worried all week. And to hedge your bets, maybe jar your weed in multiple jars (one justification of curing in small jars, one mold breakout won't infect your whole crop).

Looks like even more stem as the buds aren't that impressive, I definitely took your advice of overestimating how much to leave on :laughtwo: if its taking ages to dry I'll take a bit more off.

Once again you are coming through with the exact info I need! Will keep a close eye on them, the timing should be pretty much spot on with the arrival of my hygrometers. I really like the idea about trying to get a spot reading on the buds, but am I correct in my interpretation of what you said that if you waited till a sample bud tested at 65% before jarring that this would rush the cure and decrease quality?

Your jar size theory makes sense to me, will be going a big sized one (or more if I need) for this batch considering the circumstances.

Not sure what the temperatures exactly would put me in danger, but the ambient temperature is likely to be 20-30C for large parts of the day so I'm guessing that is more than enough.

Yeah I think I will have to bite the bullet and get my housemate to do it if I can't get it to a stable enough RH, at least he can check in on the Pineapple sisters while he's at it.

Dude those are beautiful buds. While they may not be humongous or whatever else, they're what your girl gave you for your dilligent work. :bravo:

Not to ruin your day, but they'll shrink even more ~^. And you don't get to pass on your newbie aura till you're storing ;) Yeah with extra stem it's nice to be able to remove some to help manage things.

Ok, let me try and make this a bit more clear, even I wasn't sure how I'd written it before was clear enough on the whole process, so sorry if I'm verbose.

Curing is basically letting things settle out and harmonginize.

WTF, every post today is rife with red underlines!!!!!

:bong:

Ok, better.

Ok so as things are evening out, the bud is still transpiring, the moisture is moving from the core of the bud, out into the air. This is what carries the clorophyl and other less desirables out of the weed, and what spreads out and brings out the terpens armoas etc. At this stage, you can argue that the buds are still 'alive'. This is why aged cigars taste infinately better than new cigars (which have already been aged before sale), and why cigars are kept in 72% RH humidors. This cycle happens down to 55% RH, sub 55%, this cycle stops. You can re-hydrate buds past 55% but that internal flow of fluids never restarts.

So, with that in mind, the larger jar will allow you to manage the cure, because you're working with large enough samples of air to be able to do things at a more regimented time (vs a conceptual 'constantly' with small jars yes). However, a connoisseur will point out, the longer things take, and the more patient one is, the better the result.

So, the inverse should be true as well. Lets pick 28 days harvest to store as our control period for generally acecepted 'properly cured weed'. With a large jar, you can burp multiple times a day, say 2-3 times vs once, and get your buds 'properly' dried and cured to 55-60% RH in 12 days. You could potentially do it in less than a week and still find it 'acceptable' by bagged weed standards. Get where I'm going here?

My best buds I did most correctly I think. Jarred at 72%, I burped for 2hrs 2-3 times a day. Once they got sub 70%, it was one burp Mr. Vasily, one burp only (but several gentle rolls per day), for however long it took to hit 58%. Then they went into small jars.

Yeah if your roommate can water your girls, have some premixed stuff ready to go so he can water brainlessly.

Dude those are beautiful buds. While they may not be humongous or whatever else, they're what your girl gave you for your dilligent work. :bravo:

Not to ruin your day, but they'll shrink even more ~^. And you don't get to pass on your newbie aura till you're storing ;) Yeah with extra stem it's nice to be able to remove some to help manage things.

Ok, let me try and make this a bit more clear, even I wasn't sure how I'd written it before was clear enough on the whole process, so sorry if I'm verbose.

Curing is basically letting things settle out and harmonginize.

WTF, every post today is rife with red underlines!!!!!

:bong:

Ok, better.

Ok so as things are evening out, the bud is still transpiring, the moisture is moving from the core of the bud, out into the air. This is what carries the clorophyl and other less desirables out of the weed, and what spreads out and brings out the terpens armoas etc. At this stage, you can argue that the buds are still 'alive'. This is why aged cigars taste infinately better than new cigars (which have already been aged before sale), and why cigars are kept in 72% RH humidors. This cycle happens down to 55% RH, sub 55%, this cycle stops. You can re-hydrate buds past 55% but that internal flow of fluids never restarts.

So, with that in mind, the larger jar will allow you to manage the cure, because you're working with large enough samples of air to be able to do things at a more regimented time (vs a conceptual 'constantly' with small jars yes). However, a connoisseur will point out, the longer things take, and the more patient one is, the better the result.

So, the inverse should be true as well. Lets pick 28 days harvest to store as our control period for generally acecepted 'properly cured weed'. With a large jar, you can burp multiple times a day, say 2-3 times vs once, and get your buds 'properly' dried and cured to 55-60% RH in 12 days. You could potentially do it in less than a week and still find it 'acceptable' by bagged weed standards. Get where I'm going here?

My best buds I did most correctly I think. Jarred at 72%, I burped for 2hrs 2-3 times a day. Once they got sub 70%, it was one burp Mr. Vasily, one burp only (but several gentle rolls per day), for however long it took to hit 58%. Then they went into small jars.

Yeah if your roommate can water your girls, have some premixed stuff ready to go so he can water brainlessly.

Appreciate it and you are spot on plus its still more than I was hoping to get really. Happy with the density of the main buds considering the relatively low wattage light. Really interested to see how much the Pineapple Chunks fill out after having a much happier life.
Feel like a won't shake my newbie aura for a few years at least, but I guess I will be less of one :laugh:

Please not a word of apology from you Faic! I would have been lost at several points recently if you hadn't been there to give me advice that has been helpful and detailed, I feel like I probably would have made a stupid mistake without your knowledge. Will be dedicating each joint to you :)

Great explanation! I feel like I understand curing 100 times better than a week ago, thanks for clarifying I just wanted to make sure I have it in my head. Will definitely be attempting the large jar and multiple burps a day to begin with. Honestly, this bud is likely to be so much better than what I have had recently that I'm happy to sacrifice a little quality if theres less chance of coming back to a disaster. Going to go jar hunting tomorrow.

Had to look up Mr Vasily, haven't seen that movie for ages, vintage Sean Connery :thumb:

I think I will set him up to burp twice and water once, might tell him theres a camera in there to keep him on his toes :laugh: (there isn't)

Thanks again :passitleft:

Heh, get a small box. Poke a hole in it, Stick a wire somewhere on it. Paint it black, subdued is better but not neccessary. Tape it to the inside of the tent. Point to your new wireless 'camera' that you installed so you can watch growpron from your phone at will.

;P And you're doing it again. Unless you like spilled undiluted nutes on the buds, I'm pretty 99.894% positive (per my cat) that it will be a better smoke. Or unless you totally manicure your buds and like :loopy: wash them..... Just don't let them hit 52% RH in three days (orz).

Yeah, with my cfl's I'm trying to keep the buds nice and dense, and so far I've got really nice ones. All the bagweed has had stringers in them.

Oh man.... lol got to upload a pic....

A Quick Update

First of all, have been slacking off hardcore with the photos, my next post I will get some more photos of the 2 fast 2 vast buds and get the first proper photos of the Pineapple Chunk girls which seem to be building nicely and both have several colas at least which seem like they will be as big or bigger than 2 fast 2 vasts main cola so pretty happy with my first topping efforts.

No issues with the drying buds so far, Faic's advice seems to be doing the trick and the buds are noticeably drier after a few days but still moisture both in themselves and the stems.

Heh, get a small box. Poke a hole in it, Stick a wire somewhere on it. Paint it black, subdued is better but not neccessary. Tape it to the inside of the tent. Point to your new wireless 'camera' that you installed so you can watch growpron from your phone at will.

;P And you're doing it again. Unless you like spilled undiluted nutes on the buds, I'm pretty 99.894% positive (per my cat) that it will be a better smoke. Or unless you totally manicure your buds and like :loopy: wash them..... Just don't let them hit 52% RH in three days (orz).

Yeah, with my cfl's I'm trying to keep the buds nice and dense, and so far I've got really nice ones. All the bagweed has had stringers in them.

Oh man.... lol got to upload a pic....

It would definitely fool him! but I have come up with a plan which I much prefer at this stage. Will take my jars to a more trusted friends house for a holiday (he will also be happy to monitor the RH more closely) and either setup the Pineapple Chunks to survive the duration or have him come and water once.

:laughtwo: I can't help myself. I'm not a gambling man but I'm liking those odds! The sugar leaf offcuts dried out really quick of course so I have been crumbling some into joints with my bag weed. Burns and tastes better and a nicer high :)

I will definitely get some CFLs in on the act next time I think, unless I can afford a higher powered LED panel.

Would love to see a pic of your setup if you feel like sharing!

EDIT: I should have just checked your gallery first... Enjoyed looking through it, nice photos and plants! I like your CFL rigs too.

Oh man nuuuu w. You collect all teh trim and make cookies from it :3 And yeah that sounds like a good idea, but like, don't have an accident on the way there... >.>;

Did you see the annatrichs pic? lmao see the trichs on the fans?! o_O; And my set up is now two rooms and a cabinet all connected inline. Got the construction done last year, but got the fitting out to finish.

Oh man nuuuu w. You collect all teh trim and make cookies from it :3 And yeah that sounds like a good idea, but like, don't have an accident on the way there... >.>;

Did you see the annatrichs pic? lmao see the trichs on the fans?! o_O; And my set up is now two rooms and a cabinet all connected inline. Got the construction done last year, but got the fitting out to finish.

Would love to but unfortunately one of the ways I am trying to control my health currently is by limiting my intake of saturated fat to a very low level which rules out any method of making cookies that I am aware of. Will not be having an accident :laughtwo: as far as I'm concerned my jars will be a newborn child.

Yeah thats wild man! They look so tall as well. You'll have to post some more photos as she bulks up, you gonna get frost on top of frost on the bugs! Sounds exactly what I would love to have one day. One room for veg, one for flower and cab for mothers?

Just out of curiosity, what was the photo 'blurry but proof' in relation to?

Hmmm Can you do coconut oil? Edibles rock ;D And trim is like 'eat me' ;3

Yeah I don't know what strain she is, but the frost is kinda thick... Even on the fan leaves lol. I'll be making cookies with those you can be sure. She's starting to bulk up, I'm looking at 3-4~ weeks to go, it's sort of an experiment, well it is lol. I'll get the write up done properly when I have the time. The blurry but proof photo is my new mistycloner. Cost all of like 12$, and it's 100% successful. Stick a cutting in, forget about it, check it a day or week or two later, and you have nice roots. Goes great with the mothers in thier room :D

Back
Top Bottom