Thinking about buying a Blue Labs

TheFertilizer

Y'know I've been doing this for a while now without a real good pH meter. I started out using the GH drops, and then I found some cheap digital ones. Problem is after a while they stop reading consistently even if you re-calibrate them. The drops are just so annoying to try to get the colors matched up right, and there's not a lot of resolution. You can't really control very well between 5, 6 and 6.5. Like 5.8 is some kind of very light/yellowish tone that's not even on the bottle. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Well so anyway I think having done this for a few years it's finally time to make an investment on this. I know Blue Labs are pretty much the top dog name, but I don't know if I want to make THAT much of an investment you know? I'm sure there's probably some other reputable meter out there for half the cost or something like that. I could look up brand names I'm sure.

Anyway I'm going to start playing around with hempy coco soon, so I don't want the lack of pH control to taint my opinion on it. I'm tired of inaccurate meters I can't trust. With soil I figured, "eh well it's gonna be buffered anyway" but I don't think I'll get that lee-way now.

So yeah, Blue Labs or something cheaper?

Check the resolution, and accuracy. Many folks here like the pens, but with resolution and accuracy both ±0.1 pH what you see on the display is ±0.2. This is the same for their meters.

I use a HM Digital PH-200. It costs less, and is more accurate. The display reading is ±0.06 pH.

Others will chime in with their favorites. Check the specs.;)

I’ve been using a Apera for over two years now, they are about 50-60 bucks on Amazon. It runs off AAA batteries so that’s good and it’s easy to calibrate. I’ve been thinking about buying a bluelab also but I will probably wait awhile longer since mine is still working good.✌️

I’ve been using a Apera for over two years now, they are about 50-60 bucks on Amazon. It runs off AAA batteries so that’s good and it’s easy to calibrate. I’ve been thinking about buying a bluelab also but I will probably wait awhile longer since mine is still working good.✌
Which apera ya got Ghost

I’ve been using a Apera for over two years now, they are about 50-60 bucks on Amazon. It runs off AAA batteries so that’s good and it’s easy to calibrate. I’ve been thinking about buying a bluelab also but I will probably wait awhile longer since mine is still working good.✌
I have the pH 60. It has been fabulous. I've held the blue lab and had a chance to mess around with one. They seem cheap compared to my Apera. It has held calibration since Nov as well. So many more features than the blue lab too. Mine cost about $70.

I was looking at the Apera PH-20 because it comes with a whole kit of calibration stuff too.

But one thing I noticed looking at the reviews for all the pens mentioned ( Including the blue labs ) is that they all had a lot of 1 star reviews saying they would not hold calibration, had wildly fluctuating readings, etc. Seems like a lot of quality control issues.

So now I'm afraid to buy.

I was looking at the Apera PH-20 because it comes with a whole kit of calibration stuff too.

But one thing I noticed looking at the reviews for all the pens mentioned ( Including the blue labs ) is that they all had a lot of 1 star reviews saying they would not hold calibration, had wildly fluctuating readings, etc. Seems like a lot of quality control issues.

A pH device is sensitive bit of kit and you need to read up on its maintenance as recommended by the company and buy the correct storage and calibration solutions for it. Whether it be Apera, Bluelab or HM, make sure to download its user manual and familiarise yourself with its care and use. I've looked into all these companies and they all know what they are doing. I found a HM PH-200 in the used/returned section of Amazon for half price and plonked for that. It's good and it's waterproof. The Apera PH60 looks very good as well and it comes with everything. I may get the Apera as a backup as well. The probes are replaceable on both these meters. With regular use and appropriate care expect the probes to last 2 years.

Concerning the Amazon reviews, I think you'll have to take them with a generous pinch of salt because face-palming ignorance abounds in many of them and they are very likely not following the required maintenance protocols to keep them sweet. Like I said, you need to baby these meters. Pro ones cost thousands.

I have the pH 60. It has been fabulous. I've held the blue lab and had a chance to mess around with one. They seem cheap compared to my Apera. It has held calibration since Nov as well. So many more features than the blue lab too. Mine cost about $70.
I can't speak for Bluelab pH meters but their EC truncheon is the dogs danglies. To clean the sensor BL states:

"Clean probe face: Place one or two drops of unscented liquid scourer, such as ‘Jif’, ‘Liquid Vim’, ‘Soft Scrub’, ‘Cif, or ‘Viss’ on the probe face. Rub probe face with your finger or Bluelab Chamois firmly and vigorously to clean. "

You don't have to store the probe wet, there's no buttons and you can use it as a stirrer.

Hahaha, I love and only use the drops. funny how each got own way doing shit and reasoning behind it. I'm a lazy SOB. I find drops I can play with ph get full spectrum easier, less hassle. Digital I found spending too much time piss farting about with micron drops of up or down trying to pin point exact ph, lol.. all the best, wouldn't think you'd go wrong with blue labs..

Hahaha, I love and only use the drops. funny how each got own way doing shit and reasoning behind it. I'm a lazy SOB. I find drops I can play with ph get full spectrum easier, less hassle. Digital I found spending too much time piss farting about with micron drops of up or down trying to pin point exact ph, lol.. all the best, wouldn't think you'd go wrong with blue labs..
I've got the Vitalink Narrow pH (0.2) kit and it works fine. I know what you mean about trying to be too accurate with a meter but I just watch the range and make sure it's bouncing between 5.5 and 6.0. It'll change by the hour in a grow anyway. Only time will tell which I settle on but I at least have a couple of methods to cross-reference against each other.

I finally sprung for a bluelab combo meter four or five years ago and have never regretted it for a second. I finally had to change the probe last year- I may have bashed it around too much when stirring- at any rate one of the fine filaments inside got busted. I shopped all over and there are several cheaper compatible ph probes out there but it turned out fastest to get a Bluelab one- which was $100+ Canadian.
The meter hangs on the wall. The probes dangle in the water res or whatever nutrient mix I have mixed up at the time. I calibrate once a month when the light starts flashing telling me to. PH is usually out by .1 and no more. That’s about it.

This pen has an accuracy of ±0.1 pH, and resolution of 0.1 pH. That means the display is ±0.2 pH, so a solution with a pH of 6.0 will show somewhere between 5.8 and 6.2. The price is $104 CDN. and the sensor is NOT replaceable.

I use the HM Digital PH-200. It has an accuracy of ±0.02 pH, and resolution of 0.01 pH. That means the display is ±0.03 pH, so a solution with a pH of 6.0 will show somewhere between 5.97 and 6.03. The price is $94 CAD. and the sensor is replaceable for $27 CAD.

You'll need calibration solutions which cost $14.00 for 1/2 liter at my hydro shop.

A lot of folks use the Apera (or Bluelab) pens not realizing they are not anymore accurate than pH test strips.

This pen has an accuracy of ±0.1 pH, and resolution of 0.1 pH. That means the display is ±0.2 pH, so a solution with a pH of 6.0 will show somewhere between 5.8 and 6.2. The price is $104 CDN. and the sensor is NOT replaceable.

I use the HM Digital PH-200. It has an accuracy of ±0.02 pH, and resolution of 0.01 pH. That means the display is ±0.03 pH, so a solution with a pH of 6.0 will show somewhere between 5.97 and 6.03. The price is $94 CAD. and the sensor is replaceable for $27 CAD.

You'll need calibration solutions which cost $14.00 for 1/2 liter at my hydro shop.

A lot of folks use the Apera (or Bluelab) pens not realizing they are not anymore accurate than pH test strips.
The Apera pH60 is comparable though.

I got the apera cause the three HM meters I had would not hold calibration, I calibrate my apera once every month or two and it’s never no more than .1 off. The HM meters I had would go as much as .5- .7 off. The HM meters also didn’t last long at all, about 6 months was the longest. If my apera ever gives out on me Im gonna try the EC truncheon by Bluelab, I’ve heard a lot of great things about it.✌️

I got the apera cause the three HM meters I had would not hold calibration, I calibrate my apera once every month or two and it’s never no more than .1 off. The HM meters I had would go as much as .5- .7 off. The HM meters also didn’t last long at all, about 6 months was the longest. If my apera ever gives out on me Im gonna try the EC truncheon by Bluelab, I’ve heard a lot of great things about it.✌

My first sensor lasted over three years. I replaced it three months ago. I check the calibration before every use, every four to seven days. It has never been off by more than 0.05 pH. Regardless of which instrument you have, they must be properly cared for.

The Apera PH60 does have a replaceable sensor, available for $38 CAD. It's accuracy is ±0.01 pH, and resolution is ±0.01 pH, so the display is ±0.02 pH. I'd definately consider this instrument if I had to replace my HM Digital.

The points I'm trying to make are:
- check the accuracy of the instrument you are considering; and
- you must check, and recalibrate your instruments regularly.

Too many people buy cheap instruments, expecting them to give an accurate reading, without ever calibrating them. This yields readings that are highly suspect.

Buy a good instrument, and look after it properly to get results that you can count on.

I got the apera cause the three HM meters I had would not hold calibration, I calibrate my apera once every month or two and it’s never no more than .1 off. The HM meters I had would go as much as .5- .7 off. The HM meters also didn’t last long at all, about 6 months was the longest. If my apera ever gives out on me Im gonna try the EC truncheon by Bluelab, I’ve heard a lot of great things about it.✌
what models were your hm's?

Back
Top Bottom